Your opinions about the combat in the E3 demo

+
Your opinions about the combat in the E3 demo

Do you like the combat that was show in the demo. Do you think that some aspects need to be working on?
Personally, I really like combat,it looks more fluid and fast,the animations looks great ,there is a combo system,something that i really like . But i really think that the dodge animations needs more work.
About the combo system ,I'm not sure if the combos combos will be like batman arkham city where you have to mash the button repeatedly, or like devil may cry where you need different button combinations to do an specific combo?:cheers2:

Really liking it. feels like a more polished version from W2

the 2 nitpicks i have are that it seemed rather easy and i was hoping that geralt would dodge using pirouettes or somersaults.

But ive heard that the difficulty was just for the demo and that geralt would dodge by doing pirouettes as well (maybe an upgrade?)

Looks almost like Witcher 2 combat system, but with more animations, i will be disappointed if the only difference "in" the fights of Witcher 2 to Witcher 3 was only in animation improvement, i expected in some months the final version of the fight system (since they have like 7 months for polish) if something can make this new, will the the IA of the enemies, even if we only get the same fight system than Witcher 2, the IA of the enemies can make a big difference.

Also, this do not come to the theme, but i still like more the Dark Soul fight system, more than the fight system shown in this E3, i feel that this will be another Batman Arkham battle system, where you only smash a button for the victory, i hope be wrong

Totally like it. Visual effects of signs looks amazing. Polishing and smoothing of animations will make it even better.

I think combat has been improved a lot, expecially because now one don't have to roll roll roll as we were used to in Witcher 2. I think a demo about combat would help us to have a fair opinion about it. If I remember correctly, it has also been implemented a Fallout - like "SPAV" system, right? I would love to see it in action. I think one or two mins of in game footage would be enough to understand.

I like it after all. Sure, animations need more polish and such things they know and will definitely make better in the months coming. But I can't stand the way Geralt dashes when evading. It feels like devil may cry of something like that. I love those action games like god of war too but this is Witcher.

We need to see some diary about combat to judge more. And to play it ourselves of course. But so far it looks that many things had to be cut out of the game. Like VATS system. Guys said that combat will be more intimate and look like dancing. Well, it doesn't look like everything went according to the plan. But I'm completely okay with upgraded TW2 combat. I am just a little bit sad. I imagined how Geralt will be dueling with someone like Bonhart or Cicada and making halfpirouettes, slowly going in circles, cuts through arm or thigh to make the opponent stumble and then take advatage of his injured left thigh and attacks that side because he can't parry so quickly. Nah, I'm dreaming too much. Maybe in Kingdom Come someday. CD red guys, the game looks great and I love the atmosphere you're creating. I am looking forward to it even if it will have some minor mistakes. Everything has.

Last edited:
But ive heard that the difficulty was just for the demo and that geralt would dodge by doing pirouettes as well (maybe an upgrade?)

According to this interview the game is designed so that even a "total noob" can beat it without problems. (-> 4:50)

This basically means that the game was made to be very accessible, even to mainstream players and newcomers
and that picking the right difficulty at the start of the game will be very important for us to enjoy it.

I already know that I'll pick the hardest difficulty.
I want a challenge and to feel accomplishment when I kill a monster.

From the way this all sounds, "normal" difficulty ain't gonna do it~

...F***, im having PTSD level flashbacks back when i was waiting for skyrim. Mind you, i'm mostly a mongrel, sub-human console gamer. Maybe it wont be so bad for me.

I think combat has been improved a lot, expecially because now one don't have to roll roll roll as we were used to in Witcher 2. I think a demo about combat would help us to have a fair opinion about it. If I remember correctly, it has also been implemented a Fallout - like "SPAV" system, right? I would love to see it in action. I think one or two mins of in game footage would be enough to understand.

Yes, it has been cut out because it would be too costly and difficult.

I am very happy, in this aspect. Yes , the combat is very similar or equal to the witcher 2 combat system , but, just in base. Geralt and his movements are more ....its does feeling like a witcher. It has combos between magic and sword movements, and that isnt in the witcher 2, A lot animations for the combat :victory:. For me is the best combat system that, has been implemented in arpg games, including to great combat system of the great game kingdom of amalur.
Eskerrik asko (thank you in basque)

Last edited:
I'll copy-paste what I wrote in the E3 demo discussion thread:

The more I watch the Twitch version, the more excited I become. Not considering certain things during the initial MS presentation left me dubious. Keeping them in mind now, I appreciate it differently.

1) Shoddy quality. Even The Sword of Destiny viewed at 1080p in YouTube isn't as good as after downloading it in HD. And the streaming is crap to begin with.

2) Zooming option confirmed. Can't stress enough how this makes the battles more intimate and allows to see the motions in better detail. Watching battles from relatively afar as in the E3 demos makes them less impressive than seeing them up close as we'll be able to. In the VGX trailer at 00:59 we see how something as simple as zooming makes it better. Also in the Debut Gameplay trailer at 01:07-01:21.

With a grain of salt of course, seeing how they chose particularly good segments for them. Still, it demonstrates the advantage in a close view.

3) Demo enemies weakened and players restrained. They held back for the sake of the presentation. It wasn't an organic way to fight. They fooled around, took it slow and careful to try and nail many things under the time limit. Jab, out, jab, out. In the game itself, I believe the combat will be much more hectic. And that the mechanics will allow it. In a good way.

It's just snippets, but I think at around 02:51 and 03:10 we can see just how smooth the parrying is. The one in 02:51 was a parry even while he was targeting a different enemy, and the attack didn't come from Geralt's front. Good stuff. That Lucas guy intentionally jumped away to extend the battle, but I can easily imagine just continuing from the parry to attack, attack, parry again, attack - and not so much dodging. When I remember that the enemies will be more durable than in this demo, it's a recipe for exhilarating fast-paced combat.

The way his stance changes at 03:28 is also cool. The strafing at 05:31 makes it truly feel like a showdown. Strafing in general looks right. The Ignii afterwards is great, too.

Could be that I'm seeing a depth in combat mechanics that isn't there, based just on several specific seconds. Then again, could be that we're blowing 5 minutes out of proportion.

The core is awesome. The only work is on animations (their speed, the variety of evasive maneuvers), and that's certainly manageable until February. I'm aroused.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. it seems that Geralt still turns his back to the enemy when dodging to sides (lose eye contact). this is completely apparent in gameplay demo where Geralt fought several drowners in a swamp. we had a similar issue in TW2.
another improvement in my opinion is to have the ability to attack sides or maybe even back; because right now Geralt can only attack his front. if this could be implemented then we would have two kinds of evasive maneuvers:
1) simple side step without losing eye contact with the enemy.
2) counter side step which is executed by a side attack after a successful dodge and then turning towards the enemy.

Combat was an improvement from the last game, its more fluid and animations are amazing although that dodge needs work and I also think that from first glance I also think it looks mainstream because of the similarity to the batman games. If you watch the demo there is even a symbol that pops up near enemies health bar that looks like a counter or riposte icon, the camera position also reminded me of batman. I"m not comfortable with this at all and I'm annoyed that CDPR has designed the combat to be accessible, not to say it wont be challenging and CDPR wont do an amazing job, but Its still to much like the combat systems of other games and there are so many like it now. I think making it accessible holds them back from making something really special and amazing and its a shame because that team is probably one of the best and they are capable of coming up with some incredible things. The combat system used in batman is good but I don't think anything like it belongs in the witcher it fells wrong for me to see it in the game. This opinion is not everyone's and I guess the similarities between many game franchises bothers me more than most. If the game ships with it I will bear it and will likely come to enjoy it even love it but I'm still kind of disappointed.
If I had one thing I would like changed it is the camera during combat. its a bit too far from the player and should be closer and slightly to the left of Geralts shoulder so you can still see the enemies around you and whats in front of you as well as making players feel more connected to the combat, connected to the character and isolated during a fight. being so far away breaks immersion by taking you away from the fight as well as from the amazing visuals. A distant camera like what was in the demo is also too similar to the batman games and I think that changing it would do allot for the way combat feels and for those who are annoyed by the similarity. I would like see the camera it in the same place as, when geralt makes the final blow in the demo that cuts the last deserters arm, head and section of the torso clean from the rest of his body. And maybe then even a little closer. that said the way the camera moves in for that last crushing blow was awesome.

We haven't really seen much yet but the other thing I'm hoping for is good AI that react better to what we do in combat because they could make the combat something new incredible e.g. In the demo if i was to confront those same enemies, deserters from the war, who are killing the trader outside the botanists, I might decide I wanted to take my time and come in from the left so I can take out the grunt first to gain the upper hand. In which case the trader would be already dead but I would be using a far safer strategy and because I killed the first man brutally, whats to say those other nilfgaardian deserters, who may well be cowards, wont run for their lives when, surprised by my appearance, they see their friend cleaved in two with a white haired freak standing over his body. That extreme dismemberment could have a purpose in combat when AI react to how you fight and have there own sense of moral, making combat interesting and tactical. Another player might make a different decision, this time instead of taking time and playing it safe, in order to save the trader Geralt runs in and draw the attention of the deserters to distract them away from killing the trader, saving his life at your own risk as they are not afraid of you and can work together as a team surrounding you and attacking at once. Or you may decide to go into combat with a different strategy. In many RPG's enemies will often mindlessly and ruthlessly pursue you, but that shouldn't be the case. In that same situation with those same deserters, instead of doing your best to destroy there moral you may think its too risky. And although your capable of taking them all out you know you cant without being hurt more than you would like to be when you fight the griffin you are tracking. so you go into battle taking it safe. this time you defend well and let them attack you and deal them some minor wounds as well. you give them confidence in the fight they think they are winning so you run away. they wouldn't normal follow you but you pissed them off and made them think they could take you. you run back and through no mans land and through a drowners nest not far away in the swamp where you leave the monsters to their meal and continue on the griffin hunt. Anyway I think this would make some awesome game play and thought it would be good to share my thoughts.

Top Bottom