You're playing this game wrong!

+
Funny, I have legendary armor yet I still go down in 2 shots. Either you're lying to prove a point, or we're playing two different games. I'm also lvl 40.

Even with 19 body and all the health perks, you will still often go down in 2 shots, I have several different characters and my 3 body character takes more hits to go down than my 19 body character because he happened to have more luck with finding armor gear with more mod slots.

So you sticking to quickhacks during your playthrough was not something the game mechanics limited you to because of how you speced your character, it was your choice on how to approach the missions. Assuming you got the Overwatch at some point during your playthrough, you could have gone full sniper from there on and never touched quickhacks again.

Personally on my current (first) play-through as a Nomad I've ended up focussing mostly on blades and stealth. Loving hearing the conversations as I'm doing a reccy in the shadows sussing NPC patterns and deciding which order to take them down in... Ronin style.

Well, until they notice me then its shottys out gung ho haha - deffo planning on each play-through being a different character build and approach, currently I'm doing me, next I'll get specific...

There is no such thing as a wrong way to play the game; there is only an infinite number of correct ways. Because what is "the right way" is one hundred percent subjective.

A couple days ago I watched a video of someone beating a game following an official guide's suggestions and advice. It was... interesting (and the guide was vastly outdated, too). But does the existence of an official guide mean that not following it equals playing the game wrong? Of course not.

The more freedom a game allows the more correct ways there are to play it.

Even with 19 body and all the health perks, you will still often go down in 2 shots, I have several different characters and my 3 body character takes more hits to go down than my 19 body character because he happened to have more luck with finding armor gear with more mod slots.

So you sticking to quickhacks during your playthrough was not something the game mechanics limited you to because of how you speced your character, it was your choice on how to approach the missions. Assuming you got the Overwatch at some point during your playthrough, you could have gone full sniper from there on and never touched quickhacks again.

yeah, playing melee character on very hard right now, have around 5,5k armor, not counting the cold blood bonuses, and its deffinitely noticeable.

If you have to force yourself to not use game mechanics to be satisfied with the way the game is presented then that is a serious failure in game design.
No, that's just how RPG's work, of course you don't use all of the mechanics at once. You spec a build for your character: X amount of perk/level points to spend so you choose a path according to how you wanna roll. Kinda the whole point...

No, that's just how RPG's work, of course you don't use all of the mechanics at once. You spec a build for your character: X amount of perk/level points to spend so you choose a path according to how you wanna roll. Kinda the whole point...
Yes, with RPGs, you mold your character depending on various criteria, whether it be skill points, levels etc to fit a 'role'. This is standard RPG mechanics. What you do not do is go ' well I will refuse to use half of the mechanics and play the game as intended so I can actually enjoy this game.' Being disappointed with the very mechanical structure of the game is not me playing it wrong, it's a complete failure of design. If you are happy to play the game this way then good for you, I am happy for you. I however am not going to con myself into believing I 'played the game wrong' because the way the game is designed is so busted.

RPGs are built around parameters and if those parameters fail then the R part fails. Besides which, Cyberpunk isn't an RPG, CDPR doesn't even pretend it is anymore.

But in line with this mechanic, my character that I speced with body stats, gorilla arms and brawling should struggle in a gunfight or using quickhacks. But I don't, by simply using the best gun available to me at my current state in the game I will come out on top of any gunfight without much difficulty. I can buy a mk4 cyberdeck and perform System Reset on any enemy, even cyberpsychos, with 4 intelligence and no quickhack perks.

So my roleplaying of a character that does not handle guns or hacking is just me avoiding to use them, even though I easily could.

You can get your defense to the point of feeling nearly invincible, even on very hard difficulty. Unless you face enemies at a higher level than you. I don't know what it is exactly, but there is an enemy damage scaling based on level. If you face yellow or below enemies though you shouldn't be getting 2 shot. For example, at level 40 I was getting 2 shot by MaxTac, but at level 50 I was barely getting scratched by them, while wearing nearly the same gear.

Legendary armor doesn't mean good armor. How many clothing mod slots do you have on your gear and are you slotting them with armadillo mods? What is your total armor? Do you use the cold blood skill to improve your armor with the Defensive Clotting perk?

With cyberware and certain perks you can even be immune to burn, poison, shock/EMP, and bleeding.
I get two shot because I only have 5 in body. You get too high with body and you suddenly become impossible to
kill. Sorry, not my idea of fun. I like a challenge. I can see why people who spec in high body get bored with the combat.
If you spec high in body you basically are incentivized in no way to change up your tactics because you are penalized
for playing dumb. I hope they nerf the body stat. It really needs it.
Post automatically merged:

But in line with this mechanic, my character that I speced with body stats, gorilla arms and brawling should struggle in a gunfight or using quickhacks. But I don't, by simply using the best gun available to me at my current state in the game I will come out on top of any gunfight without much difficulty. I can buy a mk4 cyberdeck and perform System Reset on any enemy, even cyberpsychos, with 4 intelligence and no quickhack perks.

So my roleplaying of a character that does not handle guns or hacking is just me avoiding to use them, even though I easily could.
Sounds like you're on easy or normal. On hard or very hard you cannot be so fast and loose when building your
class. If you become a jack of all trades you should be getting rolled by enemies and your weapons should be doing
very little damage. And you have a legendary deck yet you spec barely anything into your intelligence. Does this seem balanced at all?
Post automatically merged:

Yes, with RPGs, you mold your character depending on various criteria, whether it be skill points, levels etc to fit a 'role'. This is standard RPG mechanics. What you do not do is go ' well I will refuse to use half of the mechanics and play the game as intended so I can actually enjoy this game.' Being disappointed with the very mechanical structure of the game is not me playing it wrong, it's a complete failure of design. If you are happy to play the game this way then good for you, I am happy for you. I however am not going to con myself into believing I 'played the game wrong' because the way the game is designed is so busted.

RPGs are built around parameters and if those parameters fail then the R part fails. Besides which, Cyberpunk isn't an RPG, CDPR doesn't even pretend it is anymore.
I agree with most of your points. But a simple patch balancing the game would fix this these issues. I think we get too many points for starters. We should get an attribute point every other lvl. This would force the player to spec intelligently, plotting what they want from their build. If you wanted to be a netrunner you could also potentially be decent with guns but you'd have to sacrifice stealth, tech, or body significantly which creates a more interesting class because you have weaknesses which you need to plan ahead for. What's the fun in being everything. I had this gripe about Divinity II yet my buds like it cause they can make broken OP builds. I don't find this fun.

Last edited:

I get what you mean but for me the whole idea of roleplaying is that you choose what you use, thinking like "Mostly I'll be stealthy and take everyone out with a sword but today Imma wreak havok with a shotgun instead" kinda vibe... perhaps there will be some weapon/perk/AI balancing in future patches/mods to address the issue...

We should get an attribute point every other lvl. This would force the player to spec intelligently, plotting what they want from their build. If you wanted to be a netrunner you could also potentially be decent with guns but you'd have to sacrifice stealth, tech, or body significantly which creates a more interesting class because you have weaknesses which you need to plan ahead for. What's the fun in being everything.
This.

CDPR devs intended at one point for each life path to dictate your build. Because interestingly if you look at the attributes and perk trees they fall into three character builds. Netrunner, Solo, and techie which were all real character classes in CP2020. They later changed this (most likely) to be more accessible and allow players to get all content through a single lifepath.

Now look at lifepaths. SOLO for STREET KID, Netrunner for CORPO, and TECHIE for NOMAD.
NOMAD you wouldn't know how to do much hacking meaning you would rely heavily on using your tech to build powerful weapons and open doors or alternate paths.
CORPO you would hack mostly everything and be extremely passive in how you interact with enemies.
SOLO you would rip open doors relying on combat power and direct action.

CDPR made it so you can be your own class which is nice but also creates the issue you are all complaining about.
every life path seems pretty much the same. Well duh, if you're playing a SOLO type class in every life path
(which was at one time only intended for a STREETKID) you're going to have a very similar experience.

I've been role playing this way since I played the game.
Which is why a lot of your experiences I just don't get.
I'm a CORPO, I suck at direct combat. I go down in seconds if
I try to take on enemies head on. Which makes stealth for me
super fun because if I mess up, I barely make it out alive half the time.
I also run into many doors I can't open because my tech is too low.
I didn't get Johnnies car because I made a bad decision and and didn't
have another attribute to lean on because I was sticking to my netrunner class.
All my decisions felt like a corpo because my skill checks matched my corpo life path.
And whenever I had a decision I made it within a corpo mindset.

I think some of you are sucking the enjoyment out of this game because
you're not actually role playing. You're being your own V which is fine, but because
you're specing into everything and reading guides you're basically cheating and opening
all content by basically knowing how to spec your character to get all the goodies and
advantageous situations to occur.

I didn't do this. My next run through the game will be extremely different because I will no longer be able to hack
a camera or set someone on fire from 50 meters away parked in my car across the street. But who knows, maybe
I finally might not go down like wet paper lol and I'll see how much fun it is to run around parkour style doing style kills as I
rip and tear through gangers in my SOLO STREETKID run.
I definitely agree that you get the most out of CP if you roleplay it and also if you play by the "rules" or what to say, it doesn't take much to screw up the game and it bugging out.

How you build your character I think is less important. The beginning of the game is without a doubt the hardest part as progress through it, it doesn't really seem to matter much which path you take, maybe with the exception of trying to go melee, if you have done nothing to spec for it. In my playthrough I spend almost all points in crafting and first later on started adding stuff to other skills. It didn't really seem like it made a whole lot of a difference and I played on very hard. But were still able to snipe people for 4-22k damage, one shot all enemies except bosses, where you are not allowed.

When I started the game the first time without really knowing anything about it. I wanted to solve things through dialogs and combat to be the last resort. At least that was my intention, however quickly figured out, that it was not really that type of game as I thought it was and that I would have to go all out combat first and dialogs wouldn't really matter much or at all. But nonetheless, I did basically nothing in regards to optimizing my character, I played most of the game not wearing headgear, because I didn't like the look, my gear in general weren't optimized, again because I would rather be able to look at my character without laughing than having good stats.

So given the fact that I hardly did anything to optimize my character, you don't need to look up guides of how to spec, because for the most part it comes down to gear anyway. The skills gives a little bonus, but at least in my experience, even from the start of the game, I weren't very excited about levelling up, like you can be in some RPG games, where you get new skills and abilities etc.

Getting +5% damage to pistols if you hit for 50 damage, means that you would now deal 52.5 damage instead, that doesn't really make me all that excited. Then you have skills like being able to hack turrets, never figured out why someone would take it or what it is actually used for? I didn't have it and have no issue taking them over, even manually control them etc.

But I do think that you play the game the correct way and is how you get the most and best experience out of it, rather than just playing it as an action shooter game, despite it actually being that. So in that regard you can have a lot of fun in the game, I just wished that the game were a lot more of an RPG than an action game.

I get two shot because I only have 5 in body. You get too high with body and you suddenly become impossible to
kill. Sorry, not my idea of fun. I like a challenge. I can see why people who spec in high body get bored with the combat.
If you spec high in body you basically are incentivized in no way to change up your tactics because you are penalized
for playing dumb. I hope they nerf the body stat. It really needs it.

Sounds like you're on easy or normal. On hard or very hard you cannot be so fast and loose when building your
class. If you become a jack of all trades you should be getting rolled by enemies and your weapons should be doing
very little damage. And you have a legendary deck yet you spec barely anything into your intelligence. Does this seem balanced at all?

I agree with most of your points. But a simple patch balancing the game would fix this these issues. I think we get too many points for starters. We should get an attribute point every other lvl. This would force the player to spec intelligently, plotting what they want from their build. If you wanted to be a netrunner you could also potentially be decent with guns but you'd have to sacrifice stealth, tech, or body significantly which creates a more interesting class because you have weaknesses which you need to plan ahead for. What's the fun in being everything. I had this gripe about Divinity II yet my buds like it cause they can make broken OP builds. I don't find this fun.

You do you, but my experience from playing with different characters and builds is that quickhack is the easiest and most OP approach and melee is the most challenging. With quickhack you can instakill any mob, through walls or two floors up in a different building. They will never see you so they can't harm you regardless of your health, stats and armor.

If you go melee with high body, it does not make you impossible to kill. Quite the contrary, your body stats does very little to help you survive because enemy weapons scaled to your level eventually does damage in the 1000s, so unless you stack loads of armor it doesn't really matter if you have 250 health or 600 health, you still go down in one shot (and armor is not dependant on your build, it's just a random numbers game in the loot mechanics which determines the amount of slots you get).

As I've said before, I only play on hard difficulty or above. To show you my point, this is what happens when my character with no perks speced in handguns takes a shot with a decent revolver on hard difficulty against a moderate level enemy:
20210207122516_1.jpg

I think most people here agree that the game should be the way you describe it. But it is not how the mechanics implemented play out. If my character is not supposed to be a deadly sniper, the only way this will play out in the game is that I choose to just avoid sniper rifles, it has very little to do with how I spec my character.

Guest 4531988

You don't play as a netrunner. You really don't ever do the Chair Jockey stuff, more of a crystal Jock. Also you don't have to worry about being seen, due to the Enemies being leashed and ping by about level 17 you are untouchable for the rest of the game.

They should've stuck to classes then, instead of forcing this casualized "fluid" no classes system to attract more gamers

Who the Hell Cares.gif

I'll play the way I see fit to play. My attributes are Intelligence = 20, Technical = 20, Cool = 20 and I can walk into any situation an be confident I'll walk back out. If I can go head to head with 4 turrets, 3 drones, and about 15 NCPD and clean the floor with them then I'm one bad motherf.ucker.

Top Bottom