You're playing this game wrong!

+
Yes, but the pen and paper, which this game is supposed to be based off of, doesn't even allow a SOLO
character to use decks. That's a netrunner only weapon. And, as you can see, completely unbalances the game.

I have no issue with allowing easy mode for those who suck at games and just want to enjoy the story. But I also expect
limitations to what you can do. This is why cheating in a game is fun at first but ultimately boring after a while.
Look, I said I get what you mean but I can also imagine all the comments how players are locked out of content and all that. As general idea, they knew very well what they were after and what works for most of players.

And then creating something like this, you has to cater to casuals like me or you won't be selling like hot cakes. I never played Dark Souls but went to look about it and it took 2 years for it to reach sales of 2 million.

I'm all for optional difficulty challenges though.

I have no issue with allowing easy mode for those who suck at games and just want to enjoy the story. But I also expect
limitations to what you can do. This is why cheating in a game is fun at first but ultimately boring after a while.

It's cheating to use the mechanics they shove in your face...

DejectedKeanu.jpg

I never said that, read it again. My point was, the lack of restrictions is attributing to the lack of challenge people have been complaining about. Not that playing the game is cheating. Use active reading before posting.

Very little fault can be attributed for playing the game based on the mechanical decisions of the designer(s). CDPR chose a fluid class system, opting to completely remove even the templates marketed as recent as late 2019. A firearm comes with a manual on how to administer maintenance. A TV comes with a technical guide, more recent SMART variants have a limited OS setup with On-screen directions. Perhaps they should have included a guide with this game if there really is a "wrong" way to play it. This is a five dollar buffet and you're telling people to run back into the kitchen, prepare the barely warm pizza themselves, and pay no mind to the hair in their soup.

You can't play a game wrong when there is no right way to play it. It was designed that way.

Yeah, I just don't see the fun in being invincible. Why even the play the game at that point. Or just put it on easy mode and go through the motions lol.

This was my problem, I was level 28 by the time I assaulted Arasaka, playing organically and not doing too many gigs, but even so, when I got to the Arasaka HQ and they were mopping the floor with me I went into the inventory and disassembled most of my extra gear and made loads of high level Armadillos for the Samurai gear with loads of upgrade slots.

I technically went from 800 health and 600 armor to 800 health and 2400 armor in the blink of an eye and just steamrolled the last mission with my katana build on Very Hard.

Smasher did not stand a chance, I was eating his rockets for breakfast.

Second playthrough, I decided to do the Cyberpsycho side quests and they were flipping tough, so again I ended up speccing in crafting and body and ended up a tank, but this time my revolvers were doing 12000 crit damage from stealth.

Compared to the Cyberpsycho's everybody else were like wet tissue paper lol.

I like being OP, but it's way too easy which I believe is the ultimate point of the OP.

My only point there was to emphasize how different your experiences would be if you
made a true netrunner, techie, or solo build for each lifepath. CDPR didn't follow the pen and paper.
They went the safe route to appeal more to mainstream. Sticking with classes would have made each run special.
Why is a SOLO able to use a MK4 DECK? That's like a knight using a high level mage's spell. Gee, a bit OP don't ya think???
What's the fun in making an OP character other than to enjoy a power fantasy? Sure it's fun for a while, but most people
would get bored of the combat. Oh and lookie there. People on this forum complaining about how the combat is
boring, or the game is too easy. Well no crap, you made a do everything tank who can use high level quickhacks,
what did you expect? A challenge???

It's not the players fault though, you're right. It's CDPR's fault. But if you want a challenge or feel the systems
CDPR has designed actually working, play on hard, choose a class.

Well I agree that players shouldn't complain about the game not being a challenge, if they make an OP character build. I've said it myself in another thread and post. if you want to make this game a challenge; instead of moaning about making bosses etc. more difficult, crank up the difficulty to very hard, and don't bother upgrading your armor/applying mods/using upgraded weapons etc. Hell if you want, try playing the whole game with the weapon and armor you get right from the prologue, or run round naked with a basic pistol and see how you get on. If you like a game to be a 'challenge' or something that frustrates you, then CDPR have put the mechanics in the game to allow you to play that way, if you wish. Its all about playing the game your way, there is no right or wrong way to play the game. With the exception of Mods, if you use Mods then you are fundamentally changing how the game has been designed.

Personally, yes I do like making OP builds and playing different runs with different OP builds. At the same time I never complain the game is too easy, because I made an OP build. I'm aware I've made the game easier by making my character OP but that's the way I enjoy playing. Its one of the reasons I did about 10 runs and thousands of hours on witcher 3, because I liked to try out OP builds on different paths and turn Geralt into a killing machine. I just enjoy the fact CDPR gave us the mechanics to do that. My V in Cyberpunk run through walks round like the terminator, destroying everyone, including bosses like their nothing, regardless of life path. Hey I don't care because I like to play that way.

I think the life path system could be fundamentally more interesting and more meaningful by giving us more life path options and content, as oppose to locking us into a skill class. Maybe even having one small 'special' skill tree that only that life path has access too. I view the life paths as the backstory of the character, where they came from but all life paths lead us to the same point, V becomes a merc. I don't really associate a nomad or street kid being exclusively a solo or a netrunner as opposed to another life path. I think that's for the player to decide what kind of merc V is.

CDPR devs intended at one point for each life path to dictate your build. Because interestingly if you look at the attributes and perk trees they fall into three character builds. Netrunner, Solo, and techie which were all real character classes in CP2020. They later changed this (most likely) to be more accessible and allow players to get all content through a single lifepath.

Now look at lifepaths. SOLO for STREET KID, Netrunner for CORPO, and TECHIE for NOMAD.
NOMAD you wouldn't know how to do much hacking meaning you would rely heavily on using your tech to build powerful weapons and open doors or alternate paths.
CORPO you would hack mostly everything and be extremely passive in how you interact with enemies.
SOLO you would rip open doors relying on combat power and direct action.

CDPR made it so you can be your own class which is nice but also creates the issue you are all complaining about.
every life path seems pretty much the same. Well duh, if you're playing a SOLO type class in every life path
(which was at one time only intended for a STREETKID) you're going to have a very similar experience.

I've been role playing this way since I played the game.
Which is why a lot of your experiences I just don't get.
I'm a CORPO, I suck at direct combat. I go down in seconds if
I try to take on enemies head on. Which makes stealth for me
super fun because if I mess up, I barely make it out alive half the time.
I also run into many doors I can't open because my tech is too low.
I didn't get Johnnies car because I made a bad decision and and didn't
have another attribute to lean on because I was sticking to my netrunner class.
All my decisions felt like a corpo because my skill checks matched my corpo life path.
And whenever I had a decision I made it within a corpo mindset.

I think some of you are sucking the enjoyment out of this game because
you're not actually role playing. You're being your own V which is fine, but because
you're specing into everything and reading guides you're basically cheating and opening
all content by basically knowing how to spec your character to get all the goodies and
advantageous situations to occur.

I didn't do this. My next run through the game will be extremely different because I will no longer be able to hack
a camera or set someone on fire from 50 meters away parked in my car across the street. But who knows, maybe
I finally might not go down like wet paper lol and I'll see how much fun it is to run around parkour style doing style kills as I
rip and tear through gangers in my SOLO STREETKID run.

I came to a similar conclusion myself. Besides, Nomads in tabletop already start off with basic tech and junk scavenging. They're natural riggers and any of them can repair at least basic gear and electronics. Nomad also gets bonus Tech dialogue, if you couple it with Nomad car oriented dialogue. Like a Streetkid with High tech can still never comment to Jackie about his bike or suggest where he should upgrade it.

That all said, I dislike Nomads for this story. That it forces a Nomad flavored ending and romance for my orientation really annoys me though.

Wait, so based on your sexual orientation, you get a certain ending?

Not really, certain endings are slightly different depending on your gender/sexual orientation. The fundamentals are still the same though.

The Star ending with Panam; if you're a male V, who romanced Panam, you can ride off into sunset together. if you're a female V, you can still leave night city with the nomads and Panam, but as just good friends, not romantically involved

Oh, well good to hear. I got a call from Panam after romancing her about an alternative to my dilemma.
Not sure where that's going to go but I haven't met up with Araska daughter yet. Still doing side quest.

Guest 4531988

Yes, but the pen and paper, which this game is supposed to be based off of, doesn't even allow a SOLO
character to use decks. That's a netrunner only weapon. And, as you can see, completely unbalances the game.

The pen and paper game is meant for multiple players, and honestly almost every build becomes stupid op even if you don't use the deck.

The Weakest probably being a LMG only build (Due to fact your ammo supply vs potential damage is like 10 times weaker than any other weapon, and massive recoil) without Legendary Shock

or

fists Luddites build (after talking to preacher dude just refuse to take any more cyberware) but even then you are just handicapping yourself.
Post automatically merged:

Not really, certain endings are slightly different depending on your gender/sexual orientation. The fundamentals are still the same though.

The Star ending with Panam; if you're a male V, who romanced Panam, you can ride off into sunset together. if you're a female V, you can still leave night city with the nomads and Panam, but as just good friends, not romantically involved

I don't know Suicide (the best ending) ends the same regardless of whatever else you do.

Wait, so based on your sexual orientation, you get a certain ending?

You're better off not romancing her, unless you want to be a Nomad in the end. Anyone trying to rationalize it other ways is more imaginative than me. To me, she was obviously written for someone who already started as a Nomad, and gets a nice neat bow wrapped to their story if they romanced Panam, and they finally found a new clan again.

Guest 4531988

You're better off not romancing her, unless you want to be a Nomad in the end. Anyone trying to rationalize it other ways is more imaginative than me. To me, she was obviously written for someone who already started as a Nomad, and gets a nice neat bow wrapped to their story if they romanced Panam, and they finally found a new clan again.

Regardless you end up dead no matter the ending, (Debatable with the Arasaka one) Just End It

The pen and paper game is meant for multiple players, and honestly almost every build becomes stupid op even if you don't use the deck.

The Weakest probably being a LMG only build (Due to fact your ammo supply vs potential damage is like 10 times weaker than any other weapon, and massive recoil) without Legendary Shock

or

fists Luddites build (after talking to preacher dude just refuse to take any more cyberware) but even then you are just handicapping yourself.
Post automatically merged:

I don't know Suicide (the best ending) ends the same regardless of whatever else you do.

What I was saying was all the endings have the same outcomes regardless of whether you're male/female V.

Its just there are slight variations to some of the endings, in particular 'The Star' if you're male and romanced Panam for example as opposed to being female and just being good friends with Panam.

Nevertheless you are still going to get the same outcome in each of the endings/still pop the achievement no matter if your V is male/female.

Last edited:

Guest 4519094

No you were playing the game the right way all along, also 77th comment yaaay :p

The title was to get people in here to discuss. If you want to play with an OP build it's of course
your choice. I'm merely pointing out that limiting your build to a class brings out the differences between classes more.
And if you plan on repeat playthroughs this could help with replicability quite significantly.

The title was to get people in here to discuss. If you want to play with an OP build it's of course
your choice. I'm merely pointing out that limiting your build to a class brings out the differences between classes more.
And if you plan on repeat playthroughs this could help with replicability quite significantly.

I bet most people get that, it's the wording that's getting people's jimmies rustled :D.

To be fair the difficulty curb should be steeper as to encourage people to fall into builds rather than jack of all trades, I personally haven't maxed out a single attribute in two hundred hours, it's just now when I'm playing stealth no detection and no kills build that I'm close to maxing out my stealth, but I don't need it.

:D

Though focusing on one "class" makes you more OP than spreading out across different perk trees. You are more powerful playing the one-trick-pony approach because of buff stacking and more powerful effects and bonuses unlocked at higher skill levels. As a netrunner you are making it more difficult if you dabble a bit in melee combat by sticking perk points in athletics and blades, than if you just dropped everything into quickhack and hit contagion over and over again.

I agree with your premise, focusing on builds and specializing your character is generally more fun. But in terms of avoiding becoming OP the game does the opposite of what you think it does, it makes you more powerful and OP if you just stick to one talent.

Top Bottom