Yrden meta?

+
With the WotW expansion, have we reached the point where Yrden is auto include? I haven’t seen him ubiquitously used yet, but with extra tools supporting Witchers in general, and several powerful (overly powerful?), boost based cards/archetypes, it might be the most efficient way to deal with Viy (and overwhelming hunger), Kolgrim (and viper witcher mentors and adepts), ST movement (with Gezras), Erland and Archgriffin (and all the NR boost), and SY congregate. Only SK at present does not seem to heavily rely on boost.

Do you foresee Yrden moving into a category with oneiromancy and heatwave, or will it remain more “optional”?

rrc

Forum veteran
With the WotW expansion, have we reached the point where Yrden is auto include? I haven’t seen him ubiquitously used yet, but with extra tools supporting Witchers in general, and several powerful (overly powerful?), boost based cards/archetypes, it might be the most efficient way to deal with Viy (and overwhelming hunger), Kolgrim (and viper witcher mentors and adepts), ST movement (with Gezras), Erland and Archgriffin (and all the NR boost), and SY congregate. Only SK at present does not seem to heavily rely on boost.

Do you foresee Yrden moving into a category with oneiromancy and heatwave, or will it remain more “optional”?
I hardly think so. The current most popular deck is the stupid freaking Lippy decks (and even pros are talking about how prevalent Lippy decks are). Why wouldn't it be? That deck just got +2 provision buff even though it was in top 5 last season. And this Lippy deck doesn't have any unit boosted. It is just pure point vomit deck. I hardly think Yarden will become a meta. I would think Lacerete (Triss+Lacerete) may become the meta.

Almost every single SK I faced are Lippy decks. Not even PF (which is also still pretty strong).

Use of Yrden was gradually increased for me during the year, and even more so with the last expansion.

If I encounter a deck that is not about growth, I just mulligan it. Yrden is always good value for its provision.

But... Yrden is not meta. Yrden is to counter meta. :coolstory:

Short answer: no.

In more detail: no. There is an absolutely game deciding difference between "semi-mandatory" cards like Oneiromancy, Heatwave and a tech card as Yrden - the latter can and will brick, while the first 2 have technically no downsides. They are there because they always have a good use, no matter the situation. Yrden on the other hand has very fluctuating effect even on a row with buffed units, and against a good number of decks it is totally useless. Not something you want to "autoinclude" for 11 provisions.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I think Yrden is being used more than ever before, but if that can be considered 'meta' depends on your definition? I would say yes, it is meta, but not 'auto-include'.

And the main reason is definitely Viy, there arent many decks that can have a chance against it without Yrden.
I was already a fan of Yrden and definitely use him more now. I dont care its worthless on some matches, i would rather punish Viy players and other greedy decks.

The Kolgrim deck for example, it might be even more satisfying to use Yrden than Viy - they put a snowdrop that boosts 10, a Defender that boosts 6, and if you dont counter the defender they rowstack, Kolgrim and Letho KS on Kolgrim, sometimes also the VWitcher Mentor - cogratulations you have a 40pt Yrden and guaranteed victory.

The ST movement is the one that's giving me the most trouble, even with Yrden last say i often lose because their deck is more balanced, it has boosts but also damage, removal and pointslam.

(EDIT) Yesterday i found another way to destroy Kolgrim decks accidently, you dont even need to counter their defender - you need to play SK.
Just wait until after they play the defender. At that time they probably already used all their cheap removal specials. Play the humble an craite longship. It kills Kolgrim as he's played at 1pt, before he gets a chance to boost, which also denies their Letho KS on Kolgrim :ohstopit:

Last edited:

rrc

Forum veteran
(EDIT) Yesterday i found another way to destroy Kolgrim decks accidently, you dont even need to counter their defender - you need to play SK.
Just wait until after they play the defender. At that time they probably already used all their cheap removal specials. Play the humble an craite longship. It kills Kolgrim as he's played at 1pt, before he gets a chance to boost, which also denies their Letho KS on Kolgrim :ohstopit:
Damn it.. that is soooooooo awesome. I can't imagine the shock of the Kolgrim player.. Truly playing properly against the deck can win the game with a single 5P card!

Hahhem.. back to topic.. Yes, Yarden..

Short answer: no.

In more detail: no. There is an absolutely game deciding difference between "semi-mandatory" cards like Oneiromancy, Heatwave and a tech card as Yrden - the latter can and will brick, while the first 2 have technically no downsides. They are there because they always have a good use, no matter the situation. Yrden on the other hand has very fluctuating effect even on a row with buffed units, and against a good number of decks it is totally useless. Not something you want to "autoinclude" for 11 provisions.
With the amount of ways to tutor Yrden now you can usually choose when to and when not to use it from the deck. This way you don't run the risk of it bricking.
You may still be wasting 11 provisions on a card you never got to use but when it singlehandedly wins other matches that doesn't seem like a big sacrifice.

I would like to see Yrden being reworked somehow. This is an absolute braindead card. It's even more binary than Heaver-Scenario.
It's just auto-win against particular decks. I don't whine or cry about it. It just makes the game silly and uninteresting.
Do we really need interactions like this? :rolleyes:
I understand, people forced to use it bc of new over-point-slam decks. But archetypes like Assimilate suffer for no reason in this situation.

I feel like Yrden is the perfect candidate for receiving adrenalin. Something like it can reset a whole row up to adrenalin 2 or 3 and then it can only reset 3 adjacent units. That way it still works as a non-targeted reset for things with immunity (like erland) but can be played around and it won't just erase an entire round worth of boosts as a finisher.

God that Lippy deck is annoyingly prevalent. Literally all the Sk players are playing it. Those Bear Witchers that play 8 for 8 on deploy at adrenaline 4 and then use the location to heal are probably the most overtuned bronzes to arrive this expansion. Plus, it now plays through flawlessly because of the addition of Snowdrop.

The only deck I've managed to beat it so far with is the SC movement deck, which coincidentally contains the other most OP bronze - the Cat Witcher.

God that Lippy deck is annoyingly prevalent. Literally all the Sk players are playing it. Those Bear Witchers that play 8 for 8 on deploy at adrenaline 4 and then use the location to heal are probably the most overtuned bronzes to arrive this expansion. Plus, it now plays through flawlessly because of the addition of Snowdrop.

The only deck I've managed to beat it so far with is the SC movement deck, which coincidentally contains the other most OP bronze - the Cat Witcher.

Schirru is really strong against it, especially since they will usually try to 2 - 0 you and you have a way stronger long round than they do if you have access to gord.

Gyg

Forum regular
I wonder why SK location heals in total for 6 while NR provides only 3 points. Providing meaningful targets for heals isn't difficult.

I wonder why SK location heals in total for 6 while NR provides only 3 points. Providing meaningful targets for heals isn't difficult.
Haern Caduch should really only heal adjacent units by 2, for a maximum of 4 additional value. Frankly, I'm a little surprised that you decided to contrast it with Kaer Seren from Northern Realms, considering that Stygga Castle, the Scoia'tael Location, isn't guaranteed to play for any additional points; really, the best case scenario is there is a Dol Blathanna Sentry on your side of the board, in which case you can Boost up to 3 units by 1. It would probably work better of it only targeted 1 allied unit but had 3 or 4 charges.

Last edited:

Gyg

Forum regular
Haern Caduch should really only heal adjacent units by 2, for a maximum of 4 additional value. Frankly, I'm a little surprised that you decided to contrast it with Kaer Seren from Northern Realms, considering that Stygga Castle, the Scoia'tael Location, isn't guaranteed to play for any additional points; really, the best case scenario is there is a Dol Blathanna Sentry on your side of the board, in which case you can Boost up to 3 units by 1. It would probably work better of it only targeted 1 allied unit but had 3 or 4 charges.
Vrihedd Brigade and Cat Witcher Mentor would also be triggered by the Styggia castle so you can get points from three card types. So it can brick but the points celling is rather high.

Hand,- and deckbuff was always valued higher than heals (or pure buffs on board).
This does not mean it has better synergies of course, since the SK location works wonders with the Bear Witchers.

Top Bottom