YT post about game development

+
Its under one of the videos I have posted above. I am at work now so I will look at it when I get home.

Anyway I posted IT here mainly because I wanted to know other people opinion whether they think if or how much of it Is true.

Thanks, I bet many people will appreciate it if you post the video/link, so they can have a more informed and factual opinion about this.

Square Enix did it to an MMORPG adding ~100%+ more content to the game, saving the company from bankruptcy with less available manpower and resources than CDPR. All in less than a year. Game is a massing success to this day, and it has a monthly fee to play it.
Not really less than a year. There was 3 years between the original release of FFXIV (2010) and Reborn (2013). Actual development of the new version began in 2011. Yoshida said it took 2 years and 8 months to make the new version. And it basically with completed visuals, animations and with much less detailed cinamatics.

Not saying CDPR shouldn't try to bring the game to next level withing the next year or so, but pulling FFXIV seems to be a bit too much.

Anyway I posted IT here mainly because I wanted to know other people opinion whether they think if or how much of it Is true.

The funny thing is I don't think it matters if it's true. You can take the "promises", marketing, expectations, what went down with the development itself, who is at fault, and the million other things of this nature and set them aside once a game releases and has been purchased, IMO. What matters is the game itself at that point. What it does well, what it doesn't, what could be improved, what could be done differently going forward, etc.

As a consumer my responsibility is to pay money for a game, basically. All this other stuff is excess baggage or noise and, frankly, not my responsibility.

But there Is actually a lot of evidence supporting this post all over the internet.

Then it's pretty easy to show me some of that lot.
"It fits" doesn't mean "it's true".
Post automatically merged:

When you have to ask us if we "think if or how much of it is true", it tells me you don't know yourself. So, that post you "quoted" – should it exist – is by someone who claims to have been involved in big decisions in CDPR's management.
Doesn't seem plausible to me that a higher-up from CDPR vents his feelings under some random youtube video.

Keanu Reeves's story sounds believable. No doubts that Keanu would want to have such a huge title all about himself. He could offer more acting while CDPR management saves a lot of money from hiring Hideo Kojima and Lady Gaga.

Regarding "18 different storylines", I'd call management wise rather than inexperienced. Delivering 18 different branches at the same quality as the current main/side missions are would move the release date to 2030 (or even to 2077). CP2077 is not a PnP game where each branch leads to some extra paragraph of text. Each branch in CP2077 requires mocap, acting, and sound recording in various languages. That was simply unrealistic.

I doubt that the "evil" CDPR management just came in and told "good" developers to remove finished and fully functional content. Most likely, they have removed the most bugged or dev time consuming features. If the primitive AI currently in the game is that glitching, then imagine how bugged the "advanced AI" was?

P.S. Being a software developer myself (22 years experience, including 4 years in game dev), I feel the developers' pain. However, I admit that from time to time, the evil manager needs to beat the s**t out of devs in order to move on with the project.

P.P.S. I'm still hoping that some of the cut content will be finished and released in the next patches or DLC.

I stopped reading as soon as i reached "the game was in development since 2012" No it was not ,i personally talked with one of the devs the only people who were working on the game were the writers in that point they were brainstorming the story and worldbuilding in 2016 after they finished Blood and Wine they decided that the story should revolve around the chip of immortality and Johnny silverhand being a co-protagonist
this pretty much confirms this point

what bothers me even more is that people ligit think that most of the development money was spent on keanu reeves i feel really sorry for these people ,they are forgetting that Cyberpunk has been marketed like crazy and that they are currently working on a multiplayer mode aswell ,Death stranding cost way less than Cyberpunk yet it has more hollywood celebrities than Cyberpunk ,yes Keanu was expensive sure but no where near as expensive as some people make it out to be

im all for criticizing the game i personally have alot of posts doing so but please lets not believe these types of hater fiction and focus more on how Cdpr can improve the game

Last edited:
This looks like one of those many circulating posts on the internet, they are usually from polish forums.
No dev will go and write this with their linked-in Profil it’s obvious that those things will go like “a friend of mine...” or “i just heard ...”

They all have in common the fact that management in CDPR was bad, there many inexperienced people responsible for small projects. Good ideas was flying wild, but games are not about good ideas but about good implementation
Many features was added to the code and later were removed since they didnt make much sens, were buggy and who knows how long it would take them running.

something is here, since this game is suspiciously hollow. Like TW3 had gwent, here? Barbershop? Brothels? Many things that are missing yet were in their previous game.

CP77 feels like a game that had a few overhauls too many during development.

However, I admit that from time to time, the evil manager needs to beat the s**t out of devs in order to move on with the project.
How about the evil manager beating the s**t out of the marketing crew for constantly making false claims about the soon to be released product, right? But the evil manager was probably quite happy with all the videos pretending or suggesting "18 different storylines", while he was fully aware that it can't be delivered.

Or how about the evil manager informing fans and those who preordered, that pretty much all marketing and preview videos will be misleading and the content has fundamentally changed, right?

This looks like one of those many circulating posts on the internet, they are usually from polish forums.
No dev will go and write this with their linked-in Profil it’s obvious that those things will go like “a friend of mine...” or “i just heard ...”

They all have in common the fact that management in CDPR was bad, there many inexperienced people responsible for small projects. Good ideas was flying wild, but games are not about good ideas but about good implementation
Many features was added to the code and later were removed since they didnt make much sens, were buggy and who knows how long it would take them running.

something is here, since this game is suspiciously hollow. Like TW3 had gwent, here? Barbershop? Brothels? Many things that are missing yet were in their previous game.

CP77 feels like a game that had a few overhauls too many during development.
Exactly this, I am not saying that everything in that post is true.

But everyone who at least somehow Is following whats going on around the game after release and actually played it kinda feels that there is something to it.

What was released actually Feels like only half of the game and the rest being totally scrapped

Keanu Reeves's story sounds believable. No doubts that Keanu would want to have such a huge title all about himself. He could offer more acting while CDPR management saves a lot of money from hiring Hideo Kojima and Lady Gaga.

Regarding "18 different storylines", I'd call management wise rather than inexperienced. Delivering 18 different branches at the same quality as the current main/side missions are would move the release date to 2030 (or even to 2077). CP2077 is not a PnP game where each branch leads to some extra paragraph of text. Each branch in CP2077 requires mocap, acting, and sound recording in various languages. That was simply unrealistic.

I doubt that the "evil" CDPR management just came in and told "good" developers to remove finished and fully functional content. Most likely, they have removed the most bugged or dev time consuming features. If the primitive AI currently in the game is that glitching, then imagine how bugged the "advanced AI" was?

P.S. Being a software developer myself (22 years experience, including 4 years in game dev), I feel the developers' pain. However, I admit that from time to time, the evil manager needs to beat the s**t out of devs in order to move on with the project.

P.P.S. I'm still hoping that some of the cut content will be finished and released in the next patches or DLC.
Problem is, you're never going to make anything beyond a mediocre game if you try to be "wise" about it, much like you're never going to make a truly great software application if all you do is look at lowest hanging fruits while writing off any goal that requires more than minimal effort to reach.

There's a reason why bean counters aren't famous for their artistic touches, and I say that as someone who works software dev with a degree in bean counting. Consider the most "wise" games out on the market currently. You have all the stinking mobile garbage, you have the sports junk (FIFA, WWE, NBA 2K, et cetera) that comes in a year tripple-A upgrade, and you have "live services" where you first pay a tripple-A entrance fee and then run into endless amounts of pay-to-not-suck monetization.

Any of that pile of garbage strikes you as being a good use of time? Sure doesn't appeal to me, that's for sure. But the management behind those games sure are "wise", aren't they? They make a ton of money off products of questionable quality, after all. That also what you want to do? Pass off MVP games, try to rope people into it with dishonest marketing, abandon the project when it can't be milked, and then start over with a new MVP?

Yes, developers do tend to get carried away and lose sight of the finish line, and they do regularly need to be reigned in and get their priorities rebalanced, but you cannot make good things if you insist on constantly being "wise" and "smart" and focusing excessively on cost-benefit nonsense. All you can hope to reach that way is happy mediocrity.

It might have been prudent for CDPR to gut the everlasting hell out of the game, but it also means that instead of a game of the decade, instead of a genre-defining title, they now have an extremely mediocre first title in their new franchise. They'll have done okay on this one, but where can they go from here? MP version sounds cool, but without the role-playing aspect then it's just a much worse sci-fi version of GTA Online. And right now you'd have to be crazy to even whisper "RPG" in relation to Cyberpunk, since they turned it into a damn looter-shooter.

The way I see it, those clever executives were so smart that they've just about managed to kill their new franchise, and that's another general problem with this form of "wise" decision-making. It is unbearably short sighted nearly all the time. Nobody cares about problems down the line, nobody cares about potential down the line, everybody just wants maximum ROI here and now, the most bang-for-buck here and now, and head-in-the-sky dreams like 18 different storylines in one game is just not that. Anything truly cool that hasn't been seen before is not that.

Can you imagine if the LOTR movies had been exposed to that same kind of thinking? Can you imagine if the GOT series had been? How about Avatar, except instead of fancy computer graphics they'd go retro with 1970's style effects?

Meanwhile, look at what Larian is doing with BG3. It's not perfect yet, and they can still screw it up, but their single early access bit appears to have more variance and player agency and overlapping but functional mechanics than all of CP77. Yes, that dear old Swen is moderately crazy, if you ask me, but that is not necessarily a show-stopper, as long as you can tone it down when needed. Now imagine what BG3 would have been, if Larian's management had been "wise" the same way CDPR's management was.

I am just curious, how was this game announced in 2013, and it's actual development started in 2018?
What did CD Projekt do in the 5 years between?
And please spare me with the excuses "they worked on the Witcher DLCs"
Then why announce a game that did not even existed, apart from a tech demo, with a very specific scene, that notorious girl with the mantis blades and bulletrpoof skin being shot at by cops... and spend 5 years to convince investors to fund your game, only to allow 2 years of actual development time?
What the fuck were you smoking, Michal and Marcin?
At lest those parties with prostitutes on coke, on yachts at Monaco were worth it?

I am just curious, how was this game announced in 2013, and it's actual development started in 2018?
What did CD Projekt do in the 5 years between?
And please spare me with the excuses "they worked on the Witcher DLCs"
Then why announce a game that did not even existed, apart from a tech demo, with a very specific scene, that notorious girl with the mantis blades and bulletrpoof skin being shot at by cops... and spend 5 years to convince investors to fund your game, only to allow 2 years of actual development time?
What the fuck were you smoking, Michal and Marcin?
At lest those parties with prostitutes on coke, on yachts at Monaco were worth it?
Yes game announced back in 2013 was a huge mistake, it should have been announced in 2016 even later And released in 2022 or 2023. Then it actually could be the game what was promised

I dunno, this whole thing sort've smells of hurt fanboy fever dream.

Nah.

There's far too much that indicates otherwise. And then there's documented communications (gameplay feature videos and such) from CDPR directly. Like the video from just 4 months before the game launched. This goes waaaay beyond fanboy dream expectations. Nowhere is there any communication or indication of the major direction changes this game underwent between the 2018 interview and what was ultimately released.

If there had been, we'd likely be having a whole other conversation about how many fans cancelled or requested refunds on preorders because of those changes. This can't all be just chalked up to "there was a disclaimer" while giving no indication that the entire game had taken an entirely different, fundamental direction. That shit don't fly. It's literally deceptive, and comes with an extremely high reputational cost.

And this is the fallout of that deception.

This is a repost of a comment at yt about the game development:

Don't worry. There is a good chance that these mechanics appear during the year, because they were created, but they were cut out before the game premiere. After the premiere, a lot of facts and stories about the game's production started to be revealed. It seems to me that this information does not reach the English-speaking media, but there is a lot of it in the Polish language.

The most important ones are: The game has been developed since 2012. Originally, the game was supposed to resemble very much the Witcher 3 (we were supposed to play with a detective known from the first trailer, the game was supposed to have a first-person and third-person view, be dark, and the main storyline was supposed to talk about the conspiracy of the corporation with the government connected with the plague of cyberpsychois.

In 2016 the scriptwriter was changed and despite the advanced work on the game (which was to come out in 2017 at the latest) the whole game was deleted and started again. The new scenario was much more complex and soon it turned out that the used game engine is not able to work properly with such an advanced game. In 2016 the whole game was rewritten for the new engine. In 2018 the acting sessions for the game were already in progress. The game assumed that the scenario will look completely different depending on the choice of gender, character orgin, and the result of the mission with the chip. It was supposed to be 18 different games! Each scenario had its own missions, unique characters and locations. For example, the results of a mission with a stolen chip depended on whether Jackie dies and it is the V who will implant the chip, Jackie will survive and it is he who will implant the chip, or maybe we will tempt the corporation and give the chip back and Jackie will survive but be our enemy. Each of these three scenarios had its own narrator.

One of them was Johnny Silverhand. Keanu Reeves liked the script so much that he asked for a bigger role for his character. As a result, the whole story was rebuilt and the other two narrators were thrown out of the game. One of them was definitely supposed to be Hideo Kojima. The other one was probably Jackie. We also know that in one of the scenarios the character played a huge role of Lady Gaga (it is possible that she was to be the third narrator).

As a result of additional work (an important factor was the employment of people with no experience in managerial positions, who with their stupid ideas sabotaged the work of programmers) many advanced gameplay mechanics were neglected. In mid-2019 it became obvious that the game will not be ready by 2020. It was therefore decided to cut out further storyline elements such as: storyline threads regardless of gender, an advanced system of relations with gangs, characters about corporations, 8 hours of prologue, which was summarized into a film interlude, and which explained the rules of the world to the player, built a tower with characters, and taught the mechanic.

In early 2020, all versions of the game were full of bugs, plot inconsistencies and mechanics that were not working, and the game itself was unoptimized. The postponement of the first release was only to cut out more missions and mechanics such as: advanced AI of drivers, opponents and police, crowd AI, advanced model of environmental damage and vehicles. The following were thrown out of the game a year earlier: train driving, flying vehicles, floating vehicles, running on walls, and vehicle tuning mechanics were not even started.

Now we know that all forces have been directed to fix the bugs by stopping work on two role-playing additions. It is possible that CDPR will add removed mechanics and feature content as free DLC. Most of these things are partially done and need only be fine-tuned. It would be a shame to throw away so much work, especially since releasing the deleted content would restore CDPR's reputation among players.

I dont know if this is true, but if yes its acutally much more sad and dissapointing how this game turned out.... What do you think?

Game is already ruined.

Hm,
I think that are many things that it takes to finish a game with such an insane scope and while a complete rework probably caused many troubles, I think that irregardless of pretty much everything there will always be huge amounts of cut content, lost ideas, bugs, plot holes, or anything...

What I really like is that CDPR had shown us the gameplay and everything, NC:Wires, even if the game wasn't finished. It even said that it's in progress and subject to change.

So I will always try to write some critics or feedback based on the actual released game.
In the end, I don't care if there isn't a metro, wall-running, if AI is horrible, etc...

If there's just enough to progress, roleplay and it makes some sense, I am pretty much fine with it.
The problem I have is that it somewhat doesn't and feels rather shattered and so shallow and broken :D

For me, it currently feels more like Simps (pun intended) than a cyberpunk, but whatever :D
You can change the colors of everything, eat, sleep, dress, chat, romance,...but there are no (active) skills for the talent trees or anything like that :D Just +5% bonus health, which doesn't kind of reflect the role in the gameplay...? :D
In general, I think it's pretty much 10/10, though...schizophrenic down to like 7.5/10 :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom