YT post about game development

+

Guest 4402625

This is a repost of a comment at yt about the game development:

Don't worry. There is a good chance that these mechanics appear during the year, because they were created, but they were cut out before the game premiere. After the premiere, a lot of facts and stories about the game's production started to be revealed. It seems to me that this information does not reach the English-speaking media, but there is a lot of it in the Polish language.

The most important ones are: The game has been developed since 2012. Originally, the game was supposed to resemble very much the Witcher 3 (we were supposed to play with a detective known from the first trailer, the game was supposed to have a first-person and third-person view, be dark, and the main storyline was supposed to talk about the conspiracy of the corporation with the government connected with the plague of cyberpsychois.

In 2016 the scriptwriter was changed and despite the advanced work on the game (which was to come out in 2017 at the latest) the whole game was deleted and started again. The new scenario was much more complex and soon it turned out that the used game engine is not able to work properly with such an advanced game. In 2016 the whole game was rewritten for the new engine. In 2018 the acting sessions for the game were already in progress. The game assumed that the scenario will look completely different depending on the choice of gender, character orgin, and the result of the mission with the chip. It was supposed to be 18 different games! Each scenario had its own missions, unique characters and locations. For example, the results of a mission with a stolen chip depended on whether Jackie dies and it is the V who will implant the chip, Jackie will survive and it is he who will implant the chip, or maybe we will tempt the corporation and give the chip back and Jackie will survive but be our enemy. Each of these three scenarios had its own narrator.

One of them was Johnny Silverhand. Keanu Reeves liked the script so much that he asked for a bigger role for his character. As a result, the whole story was rebuilt and the other two narrators were thrown out of the game. One of them was definitely supposed to be Hideo Kojima. The other one was probably Jackie. We also know that in one of the scenarios the character played a huge role of Lady Gaga (it is possible that she was to be the third narrator).

As a result of additional work (an important factor was the employment of people with no experience in managerial positions, who with their stupid ideas sabotaged the work of programmers) many advanced gameplay mechanics were neglected. In mid-2019 it became obvious that the game will not be ready by 2020. It was therefore decided to cut out further storyline elements such as: storyline threads regardless of gender, an advanced system of relations with gangs, characters about corporations, 8 hours of prologue, which was summarized into a film interlude, and which explained the rules of the world to the player, built a tower with characters, and taught the mechanic.

In early 2020, all versions of the game were full of bugs, plot inconsistencies and mechanics that were not working, and the game itself was unoptimized. The postponement of the first release was only to cut out more missions and mechanics such as: advanced AI of drivers, opponents and police, crowd AI, advanced model of environmental damage and vehicles. The following were thrown out of the game a year earlier: train driving, flying vehicles, floating vehicles, running on walls, and vehicle tuning mechanics were not even started.

Now we know that all forces have been directed to fix the bugs by stopping work on two role-playing additions. It is possible that CDPR will add removed mechanics and feature content as free DLC. Most of these things are partially done and need only be fine-tuned. It would be a shame to throw away so much work, especially since releasing the deleted content would restore CDPR's reputation among players.

I dont know if this is true, but if yes its acutally much more sad and dissapointing how this game turned out.... What do you think?

This is a typical Bioware style damage control news, and it doesn't change the fact that game is broken on fundamental levels, ( and no I am not talking about the bugs and glitches ). It doesn't change the fact that they lied to us and delivered a unfinished game. Subliminal message of this news is that they will deliver what was promised. Nope I am not buying this story.

I have zero trust left in gaming industry. They are liars and greedy for money. Their developers are bunch of kids that never played games before. If you want be a good developer you need to be a gamer first. Otherwise you don't put "walk button" in your game, or you don't put "zoomed out mini map" in your game, or you put a "giant quest marker" on the middle of your screen that can't be removed. This kind of little details ( I can list 100 details more ) shows that how inexperienced they are.

In my opinion... Unless the cut content is further along in development than expected, I simply don't see CDPR "fixing" Cyberpunk 2077 with 6-12 months worth of patches and DLC. No. I feel it would take another 3-4 years to get the game to the state in which it was heavily implied to be in the advertisements and promotional material.

I simply don't see CDPR committing to this.

What I feel is more likely is that they'll just patch the game into a playable state and give us the standard DLC/expansions already planned and repurpose all the cut content into a cyberpunk sequel.

I guess it really depends on how many years they plan on releasing DLC/expansions for the game and how well they sell.

If they don't make this mess right with Sony, I doubt they do much of anything more with ANY game. If this game isn't back on Sony's store by whatever standard Sony deems adequate, and in a reasonable amount of time, CDPR will likely lose Sony as a support partner for ANY title they might want to release going forward. And likely Microsoft too considering they misled them as well. PC exclusives aren't going to cut it in the AAA market.

console performance and bugs overshadows real problems and i think there is absolutely no chance for fixing gameplay the way you are passionate about. They won't remake anything, just fix few glitches make it playable on PS4 and then expansions gonna rollout and then Multiplayer live service. But it's my opinion my feelings towards that.
They had good opportunity to make legendary game.

console performance and bugs overshadows real problems and i think there is absolutely no chance for fixing gameplay the way you are passionate about. They won't remake anything, just fix few glitches make it playable on PS4 and then expansions gonna rollout and then Multiplayer live service. But it's my opinion my feelings towards that.
They had good opportunity to make legendary game.

You could be right, but it's doubtful to me. It's going to take a lot more than just fixing bugs and glitches for Sony to put this back on their store. The graphics issues on the PS4 and XBox consoles alone is going to take some serious voodoo-magic shit to perform well.

And in Sony's case, a multiplayer version of a game of this magnitude would pretty much need to come with a guarantee of a flawless launch after the single player version's horrendous launch. Unless they cut out last gen consoles for multiplayer entirely.

I guess anything is "possible". But I just don't see it as "likely".

If they don't make this mess right with Sony, I doubt they do much of anything more with ANY game. If this game isn't back on Sony's store by whatever standard Sony deems adequate, and in a reasonable amount of time, CDPR will likely lose Sony as a support partner for ANY title they might want to release going forward. And likely Microsoft too considering they misled them as well. PC exclusives aren't going to cut it in the AAA market.
They will lose money, too. There might just be a few digital PS5 out in the world, but I know no legal way do play CP2077 without the digital store.

Random youtube comment is considered as potential real information ?
Desperation for drama has reached max level.

Guys, don't forget to comment how unplayable this game is, but you've played it for over 100 hours.
I played 75h and everytime I start the game, to make the gigs etc. that are still open, my mind goes: Bläh..... I see the npc walking like zombies, losing the grip of my car and look at the bodies of gangmembers laying there like puppets without bones, that got dropped to the floor, toes in their forehead. 10-15 minutes and I'm on my way to the desktop. I'll never finish this game.
Yesterday I played an ending bc I thought I missed something first time: V in his underwear when he gets up from his bed (mature game!), although I stripped him at the chareditor, weapons is shown in the penthouse that he never had the chance to buy in the game and the bartender in the Afterlife filled in some tequila without having a bottle or glas in her hands.
I'm fed up with this.

I don't know if the comment is telling the truth, but I don't care.
I know that CP2077 is fine for people who are ok with (Looter) Shooters, full linear story etc. But "The creator of The Witcher: Wild Hunt" lost a few loyal customers, thats for sure.

Random youtube comment is considered as potential real information ?
Desperation for drama has reached max level.

Guys, don't forget to comment how unplayable this game is, but you've played it for over 100 hours.
Ofcourse one shouldnt take everything at face value, but whatever do you think, one is thing is true, 2018 and 2020 games had whole diffrent tone, something majorly went wrong

A huge issue here is that gaming used to be counter culture and usually things that are counter culture are awesome because typically they're not corporate pop bubble gum trash. You would think a cyberpunk game would be counter culture but no, we got corporate pop bubble gum trash.

download (322).jpg

There were tweets between Lady Gaga and CDPR, nothing serious but with this what was here written its looking possible.

About to every thing rest, how it goes?
If you can't understand why someone is doing something, look at the consequences of their actions, whatever they might be, and then infer the motivations from their consequences

Not that I’m a fan of Peterson, but still this fits like a glove.

I've always defended the game from haters and over criticism, but the OP post is hearth breaking to read at first. Then I read it for a second time with a cold mind and things are not that bad as they first looked:
1) what we got now is probably better than whatever was thrown in the garbage in 2016
2) the "18 games in one" sounds appealing at first, but could also mean diluited content and even shorter campaign (see Witcher 2)
3) some mechanics that were changed are probably better now (for sure stealth, in 2018 demo was hard-locked behind stealth or monowire and thus unusable in certain instances)
4) life-paths, even in this state, are probably better than generic backround options in 2018 demo (these background things are hardly meaningful in RPGs, see Mass Effect or Pillars of Ethernity)

On the other hand, what pisses me off still and need to come back are:
1) everything related to AI (should not be too difficult. hopefully)
2) 8 hours long prologue
3) destructable environment (still there on the first mission with Jackie)

We can still hope in Enhanced Edition. If they are smart they will release it for free together with the first paid DLC

I am not suprised.

Played through the game once, finishing all missions (excluding one bugged one), most achievements finished (cba with the all vehicle one, can't complete the little tokyo one due to a bugged gig and I cba to load an old save to save takemura for the final ending achi).

If the game is massively improved I might do another playthrough, but until then there is really no point. I did enjoy the game, but not enough to do a second playthrough.

This is a repost of a comment at yt about the game development:

Don't worry. There is a good chance that these mechanics appear during the year, because they were created, but they were cut out before the game premiere. After the premiere, a lot of facts and stories about the game's production started to be revealed. It seems to me that this information does not reach the English-speaking media, but there is a lot of it in the Polish language.

The most important ones are: The game has been developed since 2012. Originally, the game was supposed to resemble very much the Witcher 3 (we were supposed to play with a detective known from the first trailer, the game was supposed to have a first-person and third-person view, be dark, and the main storyline was supposed to talk about the conspiracy of the corporation with the government connected with the plague of cyberpsychois.

In 2016 the scriptwriter was changed and despite the advanced work on the game (which was to come out in 2017 at the latest) the whole game was deleted and started again. The new scenario was much more complex and soon it turned out that the used game engine is not able to work properly with such an advanced game. In 2016 the whole game was rewritten for the new engine. In 2018 the acting sessions for the game were already in progress. The game assumed that the scenario will look completely different depending on the choice of gender, character orgin, and the result of the mission with the chip. It was supposed to be 18 different games! Each scenario had its own missions, unique characters and locations. For example, the results of a mission with a stolen chip depended on whether Jackie dies and it is the V who will implant the chip, Jackie will survive and it is he who will implant the chip, or maybe we will tempt the corporation and give the chip back and Jackie will survive but be our enemy. Each of these three scenarios had its own narrator.

One of them was Johnny Silverhand. Keanu Reeves liked the script so much that he asked for a bigger role for his character. As a result, the whole story was rebuilt and the other two narrators were thrown out of the game. One of them was definitely supposed to be Hideo Kojima. The other one was probably Jackie. We also know that in one of the scenarios the character played a huge role of Lady Gaga (it is possible that she was to be the third narrator).

As a result of additional work (an important factor was the employment of people with no experience in managerial positions, who with their stupid ideas sabotaged the work of programmers) many advanced gameplay mechanics were neglected. In mid-2019 it became obvious that the game will not be ready by 2020. It was therefore decided to cut out further storyline elements such as: storyline threads regardless of gender, an advanced system of relations with gangs, characters about corporations, 8 hours of prologue, which was summarized into a film interlude, and which explained the rules of the world to the player, built a tower with characters, and taught the mechanic.

In early 2020, all versions of the game were full of bugs, plot inconsistencies and mechanics that were not working, and the game itself was unoptimized. The postponement of the first release was only to cut out more missions and mechanics such as: advanced AI of drivers, opponents and police, crowd AI, advanced model of environmental damage and vehicles. The following were thrown out of the game a year earlier: train driving, flying vehicles, floating vehicles, running on walls, and vehicle tuning mechanics were not even started.

Now we know that all forces have been directed to fix the bugs by stopping work on two role-playing additions. It is possible that CDPR will add removed mechanics and feature content as free DLC. Most of these things are partially done and need only be fine-tuned. It would be a shame to throw away so much work, especially since releasing the deleted content would restore CDPR's reputation among players.

I dont know if this is true, but if yes its acutally much more sad and dissapointing how this game turned out.... What do you think?
I fu**ing knew it, damn corpos with their unexperienced choices putting hands in places where they don't know s*it, carrying just about profits and now that they've failed they are going to cry in front of judge...
Welcome to 2021, where old gen population rules the new gen population....

Is there any evidence at all that any of this is true? Just copy/pasting a youtube comment isn't enough in my book.

Well one piece of evidence could be the massive number of videos and posts around internet about the clearly missing features and cut content in the game. (often referencing to the 2018 gameplay reveal, which is 80% just lie and cut content)

Second is when you just play the game and you see the braindead NPCs and traffic without any AI whatsoever and everything just respawning around you when you turn the camera. This is nowhere close to the "best open world to date" and "as polished as RDR2" and "1000s of NPCs with full day and night cycle" statements some of which were dropped by CDPR even only a half a year ago. (At the time they must actually know that none of this is true)

Third again, recycling the whole script around Keanu Reeves is a much discussed and well known speculation. Again I will be referencing to the 2018 gameplay video, where you can hear from the radio casually saying that Johnny Silverhand died in 2076 (only a year before the events of the game), there is nothing about 2026 and the terrorist attack on Arasaka, nor about him being killed. So based on this information I kinda believe its true and in 2018 the whole story was gutted and worked again from the beggining.

Here is the video, 8:30 about Johnny

Saburo Arasaka also doesn't speak English you have subs on + translation for that.
Saburo Arasaka is not a real world person. What I am saying is why would you hire Hideo Kojima as a narrator or main character (whether with his voice or dubbed) when he is not an actor, doesn't speak English (his voice is not iconic), and is not that famous (don't forget he is just a video game director).

There is a stark difference between hiring a guy like Keanu Reaves and Hideo Kojima, if we are talking about voice, narration and acting, and world renown

Is there any evidence at all that any of this is true? Just copy/pasting a youtube comment isn't enough in my book.

Everything on the internet is true.

Don't believe me? Try this.... Completely fabricate a story about the course of development in this game to explain why it played out this way. Make sure to put in as many things people might find plausible or agreeable. Hell, toss some stuff in you think masses of people will vehemently disagree with. Post it on the internet somewhere. Youtube, social media, these forums. See how it plays out.

I'm not saying any of the information is false or correct. It wouldn't surprise me if there is some truth to some of it in some capacity. Like development being scrapped and having a radical change in direction for a couple iterations. That isn't a huge leap as speculations go (not saying it is or isn't the case). But... Kojima and Lady Gaga? A voice-actor having the clout to dictate development? Come on.....

But... Kojima and Lady Gaga? A voice-actor having the clout to dictate development? Come on.....

Yeah I dont believe this one is true either, as I am not saying everything in that post is true, but the cut content, missing features, unfulfilled promises, unused assets and overally a huge missed potential is literally screaming at you on every corner of the game, so I believe some of it or maybe even a majority of it is true.

As someone who has had the unfortunate experience, more than once, of working as a developer on large multi-year software projects that flopped or were canned, failure to deliver on these projects isn't ever a single person's fault.

People naturally want to point the finger at someone, or some department. The truth is, in my experience its a failure of teams to communicate and work with each other, particularly around problems of direction, unrealistic goals/timelines and a broken down relationship with management. Once these problems start to set in, if they aren't addressed quickly and people keep churning away in their bubble, the problems continue to get worse until you have a rudderless nightmare project.

When the deadline starts to get closer, people eventually realize far too late they are getting nowhere fast. They make corrections to get people working together and have direction, but it's now so far into the project they have to start cutting features all over the place and even then have to do some extreme crunch to get the project over the finish line.
Thats why you never rush a development. They could easily afford six months or even a year extra. They should have never started announcing releases dates so soon to begin with.
Post automatically merged:

Maybe at this point, they should leave the current version as is and available for those whom want to play it... and re release the game in 6~11 months from now, finished, with most missing features, and with a better, longer, more satisfying main plot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom