Yuikami's The Witcher Versus Fanarts [Updated 31 Aug]

+
@Edmond Dantes Thank you so much xD! I'm eager to go back to TWVS now for more comic. Thank you~

@ Arorus +LIKE although mine did went through the mutation xD

Back to the discussion...
I also think female are better at negotiation and business dealing, how f eminent talk works and such[Although it might now work well with my witcher due to her very low temper and bullshet tolerance]. And yes, they are better than regular soldier so why not?

There are many Swordwoman... skilled one and if they are proven to be useful, they will be accepted, for example, Saskia, people in the village don't know she's a dragon, but she has proved to be a successor.

Being rare doesn't mean impossible, small chance is better than nothing. It doesn't have to be after all the traditional candidate choosing, it could be out of other reason, like curiosity, or to help one's survival or even worst case like experiment. She chould also be volunteering for the mutation...

looking at Ciri's case, they accepted her out of kindness and what would happened if she was not told for the other witcher to avoid using the mutation on her? They were willing to let she go through at first, no?

yuikami said:
Back to the discussion...
I also think female are better at negotiation and business dealing, how f eminent talk works and such[Although it might now work well with my witcher due to her very low temper and bullshet tolerance]. And yes, they are better than regular soldier so why not?

There are many Swordwoman... skilled one and if they are proven to be useful, they will be accepted, for example, Saskia, people in the village don't know she's a dragon, but she has proved to be a successor.

(...)

looking at Ciri's case, they accepted her out of kindness and what would happened if she was not told for the other witcher to avoid using the mutation on her? They were willing to let she go through at first, no?

Maybe just because sorcerers working on 'the witcher project' developed the mutation for the males only concentrating over their better stamina/ muscles development? rather than negotiation and buisness dealing - which in witcher profession is completely useless. I mean, witchers don't negotiate with monsters, they kill them - as it goes for payment witchers were scary enough to prevent for possible problems with it ;)

Saskia IS a dragon - So she's in default better than human. Human's awareness have nothing to do with it. Because of her efficiency (and rumor that she's chosen by gods) she was accepted (not fully even)

The witchers wouldn't mutate Ciri anyway - a sorcerer/sorceress is a must during the mutation procedure. Altho the "mushrooms" and "glowing water" they had been feeding Ciri with, were potentially harmful for her, but not enough to mutate her fully.

Arosus said:
Oh, thanks for pointing out. So did Vesemir I suppose.
one of the witchers - I forgot his name, sorry - had damaged blood vessels in the eyes, which signified he had complications during mutations. Furthermore Wikia states that Geralt's hair turned white because he underwent some extra mutations.

Hmm maybe if there's shortage of the candidates. or maybe if there's shortage of witchers? Female witcher would be better than a regular soldier etc. so her services would be wanted/necessary too. Compared to male witchers we can't say. But we can say that there are also skilled female swordswomen.
And if there was female witchers, they definitely would be rarer in a way or another.
Yes, I agree. But I don't think it's likely they'd end up with a shortage of candidates. I mean, war orphans should be all over the place. And what about children born to prostitutes / beggers / really poor people? I mean, I'm sure if you looked hard enough in TW's world, you'd be able to find an abundance of healthy, young but otherwise hopeless and homeless children...

Sure, it's true that a female swordsman *could* prove herself and do well, but if I'm training a bunch of little kids from scratch, I think i'd stick with the population group that are more likely to produce good swordsman/fighters. It doesn't sound like being a witcher is a job that traditionally requires much more than being good at killing monsters.

To be fair... using Saskia when we're comparing females and males is a bit unfair. Being a dragon IS an advantage even if people don't know.
For example, Saskia said in the epilogue that she's always healed fast. She seemed pretty unconcerned about having a tree shoved through her chest. Sounds to me like she's expecting a full recovery. So while human fighters, both male and female, have to deal with the risk of permanent injury, Saskia does not. That is a huge if you want to win respect through battle.

I'd also speculate that her skill with a sword and strength of her sword fighting, is not through a lifetime of hard training. It's probably a combination of talent, training, and her simply being very 'strong' even in human form.

The witchers wouldn't mutate Ciri anyway - a sorcerer/sorceress is a must during the mutation procedure. Altho the "mushrooms" and "glowing water" they had been feeding Ciri with, were potentially harmful for her, but not enough to mutate her fully.
I'm confused, are you saying Ciri can't be mutated cause she's essentially a sorceress? Otherwise can't another sorcerer/sorceress just be present?

cahir-the-witcher said:
Maybe just because sorcerers working on 'the witcher project' developed the mutation for the males only concentrating over their better stamina/ muscles development? rather than negotiation and buisness dealing - which in witcher profession is completely useless. I mean, witchers don't negotiate with monsters, they kill them - as it goes for payment witchers were scary enough to prevent for possible problems with it ;)

Saskia IS a dragon - So she's in default better than human. Human's awareness have nothing to do with it. Because of her efficiency (and rumor that she's chosen by gods) she was accepted (not fully even)

Why would a witcher negotiate with monsters in the first place? some ghosts or vampires, may be... but I was focusing on negotiation on taking contract, info and such so no it's not completely useless. Specially with the knights of the order holding the better monster slayer reputation than witcher, good negotiation is required.

Ofcouse Saskia is a dragon, we all know that, the villager didn't and the human awareness does have effect or else they would have turned on her, they also believe in her enough to lead them through war. That's placing a lot of trust on one woman right there. That's a sample or strong woman and also swordsmanship in woman, hints "She slayed a dragon".

Also, they did have the idea about about mutating Ciri at first before they were warned.

Also, this is my character that I'm willing to create... why are there so much problem? If you guys don't like the idea of a woman being witcher that much, take it somewhere else, this is a tread about my FEMALE witcher character. The arguement is going no where since we all have different perspective, might as well accept other's. Bashing someone's idea like that is just rude...

saintmagician said:
I'm confused, are you saying Ciri can't be mutated cause she's essentially a sorceress? Otherwise can't another sorcerer/sorceress just be present?
I mean that the procedure have to be overseen by sorceress. Witchers can't preform mutations by themselves.

saintmagician said:
Also, they did have the idea about about mutating Ciri at first before they were warned.
Yes they had but it was all about "we would if we could"
saintmagician said:
Also, this is my character that I'm willing to create... why are there so much problem? If you don't like a woman being witcher that much, take it somewhere else, this is a tread about my FEMALE witcher character. The arguement is going no where since we all have different perspective, might as well accept other's.
I've never intended to argue nor didn't want to offend anyone; I just continued the conversation - well, at least, from my point of view. sorry.

I'll just... go away to never come back.

Why would a witcher negotiate with monsters in the first place? some ghosts or vampires, may be... but I was focusing on negotiation on taking contract, info and such so no it's not completely useless. Specially with the knights of the order holding the better monster slayer reputation than witcher, good negotiation is required.
I'm thinking witchers really need a PR department now...

But surely some sexy looking sorceresses could fulfil that role?

Ofcouse Saskia is a dragon, we all know that, the villager didn't and the human awareness does have effect or else they would have turned on her, they also believe in her enough to lead them through war. That's placing a lot of trust on one woman right there. That's a sample or strong woman and also swordsmanship in woman, hints "She slayed a dragon".
I know, but why do they place her trust on her? It's not just because she's beautiful and makes inspirational speeches.

It's because they believe she's strong. And at least part of that, is due to the fact that she CAN fight well. Like when she challenged Henselt to a duel in front of her followers, she holds her own in a fight well and is confident about it. *that*, is what I attribute to her dragon-ness.

Also, this is my character that I'm willing to create... why are there so much problem? If you guys don't like the idea of a woman being witcher that much, take it somewhere else, this is a tread about my FEMALE witcher character. The arguement is going no where since we all have different perspective, might as well accept other's. Bashing someone's idea like that is just rude...
Hmm... I'm sorry you feel that way. I only joined this thread because I thought the discussion about whether females could be witchers was interesting. I don't think anyone's really saying that females CAN'T be trained as witchers at all, Ciri at least partially proves that wrong. But more just speculating on the likelihood of that, how cannon it is, etc.

But I DO think Saskia as any example of how women can fight is unfair because her strength in combat IS affected by the fact that she's dragon, even if her strength of personality in general is not.

Wow, this entire argument... seriously? God forbid someone decides to have a little fun with the universe and put a spin on things. Why is her being a female such a big problem? It has never been confirmed nor denied in the books and I think it's interesting to see a different perspective. What kinds of problems would a female Witcher face, how she's going to deal with them - it's a great exercise in imagination, if anything. Nobody is forcing you to read Yuikami's fanfiction or look at her art (although you should ;)), if you don't like it, move on. She's trying to do something different here and just what do you think you're going to accomplish by putting her down like that? :/

Uhh I didn't understand the Saskia thing in the first place. But Saskia is different from regular human so would be female witcher. Or were we talking about swordmanship? I think we already know that there are very good female swordwomen.

And if there's problem about strenght it might be that maybe (just maybe) female witcher would be better/stronger in signs than witcher males. - After all we see/hear/know many sorceresses so maybe females are more prone to magic abilities? Of course: not all have those abilities and there are also poweful male mages. Just pointing out.

Shortage of candidates.. There aren't many witchers or signs that there will be. Why? And we don't know the situation in the Griffin school or any other than the Wolf. And as Yuikami said it could have been a special situation.

EDIT: I think nobody should take offense from this discussion. It's an interesting matter and helps to create a good story for a female witcher.

Yuikami told me about this discussion You have here.

So I searched up Polish board, because, let's face it, this topic just HAD TO be mentioned somewhere before :p

I found this thread: http://pl.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2362-wiedzminka-kulturalna-i-rzeczowa-dyskusja/page__p__148420__hl__%2Bkobieta+%2Bzosta%C4%87+%2Bwied%C5%BAmink%C4%85__fromsearch__1#entry148420

And... discussion wasn't long. Why? Because saga gives no quotes whatsoever.

So... the main against were...
Chauvinism of the world. Simply those were still times where woman was believed to be weaker. Sure, average woman has less strength than average man. But witchers do not aim for strength. Body of females has for example stronger heart. In her body is lesser percentage of water, so there is more "body" in 1kg of her than in 1kg of male.

Another against was already mentioned lack of quotes. But we do lack any info about other witcher-schools. We know there were other and we know one witcher from different school - Coen.

Next was that nobody ever said "witcherette", always was "witcher". No femine forms. I'd add this to chauvinism of world.

The last argument I found was... that nobody can mutate any more. But this matters not. We know little about other witcher schools, we don't know about other witchers. And for sure there are more than just Kaer Morhen ones.

All in all, voices against witcherettes are based only on chauvinism of the world. Female body is stronger than body of male at few aspects and weaker at other. And if somebody could do mutations, nothing in fact stands in a way to creating "witcherette".

Now... Dasnarr wears medallion of griffin. Means - she is not from Kaer Morhen obviously. Therefore - it in no way stands against books. When it does not stand against the books - the discussion is purely hypothetical. Unless of course master Sapkowski wished to state his opinion. Then he would have deciding voice. As he did not - the artists are free to interpret the world on their own. And so did Yuikami.

I was mainly trying to take down arguments of cahir-the-witcher, who was able to read all books - like me. I hope I managed to point out that... what is (actually what is NOT) mentioned in books, doesn't stand in way.
As to saintmagician... well... here we have those arguments supporting chauvinistic world. Assuming Geralt had opportunity to give it a try, he would make this step ahead and... just accept that woman is equal to man.

So... I say it's up to artist here. As she does not stand against books really (she would if she gave wolf medallion imo), she's free to do this fan art.

Last thing... if You wish to continue this discussion, I'd like to ask You to create another topic somewhere in OT or general discussion and... just go on there. This is Yuikami's fan-fic thread. She's my friend and she wrote to me all sad and broken and when asked about reason just gave me link here... I am not writing as moderator as I keep my authorities to Polish board, but if this continues, I will most certainly ask for official intervention of some International moderator. I hope it won't be necessary though, once You understand that You hurt her feelings.

Can I suggest we ended this discussion here (or move to some place else) and... just enjoy the outstandingly drawn fan art? Thank You in advance :)

Thank you guys for understanding ;w;
I really agree with Vatt that this discussion should be brought into a new topic,
in discussion category maybe, somewhere else not in this fan-art thread...

Although this discussion is really interesting, I'm afraid this is not the right place to do it. So, back on topic please.

I agree with Dona, Vatt, and secondchildren... hijacking somebody else's thread isn't very thoughtful at all.

ROCK ON Lefou!!

Dona said:
Wow, this entire argument... seriously? God forbid someone decides to have a little fun with the universe and put a spin on things. Why is her being a female such a big problem? It has never been confirmed nor denied in the books and I think it's interesting to see a different perspective. What kinds of problems would a female Witcher face, how she's going to deal with them - it's a great exercise in imagination, if anything. Nobody is forcing you to read Yuikami's fanfiction or look at her art (although you should ;)), if you don't like it, move on. She's trying to do something different here and just what do you think you're going to accomplish by putting her down like that? :/

I agree wholeheartedly. Thumbs up for you.

In any fanfic, an artist should be allowed certain creative liberties. In fact, most of the fanfics I've read on various franchises (whether book,movies, or games) have more or less been sort of a wish fulfillment for the artist. In other words, they address the artist's desire to create those "what if" scenarios that may not have been realized otherwise.

Though purist may dislike the idea of having their favorite characters or stories "altered", there are also many, myself included, who enjoy the fresh perspective that can only be offered by those who choose to present their unique interpretations.

To Yuikami, I encourage you to continue to grace us with your talents. I'll be looking forward to your next installment ;)

Top Bottom