Ranked Play and Pro Ladder seasons ending soon!

+
Ranked Play and Pro Ladder seasons ending soon!

We have some news for you – current Ranked Play season will end on January 8th (Monday) at 12.00 PM CET!

New season will begin the next day, on January 9th (Tuesday) at 12.00 PM CET, and it will last for only a month – we’re shortening the seasons and from now on they will be 1-month long instead of 2. To match shorter seasons, we’ve also updated the end of the season and rank up rewards.

Another change is that at the end of a season, ranking points of all players will be reduced by 50% (except for players who did not play a single ranked game in that season – their ranking points will not be reduced in such case). Meaning that instead of starting with ⅓ of the ranking points you earned last season, you will be starting with ½ of them.

What’s more, at the start of a new season players will no longer automatically receive rank up rewards for the ranks they skipped.

For those of you interested in competitive aspect of GWENT, Pro Ladder season will end on January 4th at 12.00 PM CET. It will be followed by a short break, during which we will distribute Crown Points for the best 200 players, and prepare for the next season.

Players who haven’t participated in the current Pro Ladder season will need to reach Rank 21 in the regular Ranked Play season by January 4th, 12.00 PM CET in order to qualify to the upcoming Pro Ladder season. Players who will reach the rank 21 between January 4th and 8th will qualify to the following Pro Ladder season starting in March.

Last edited:
Dominika;n10078421 said:
What’s more, at the start of a new season players will no longer automatically receive rank up rewards for the ranks they skipped. However, earning rewards for ranking up in the new season will work exactly the same.\

Wait, then how do you get the rewards from the ranks you've skipped? And do you still get the end of the season rewards?

Dominika;n10078421 said:
What’s more, at the start of a new season players will no longer automatically receive rank up rewards for the ranks they skipped. However, earning rewards for ranking up in the new season will work exactly the same.

Whats that supposed to mean? If I end this season with rank 19 (4000 mmr), then I begin next season with 2000 mmr and miss out on all ranking up rewards upto rank 10, which includes 10 kegs and other stuff. Would there be a way to earn this back? That doesn't make any sense and kills the motivation to push for higher ranks because ranking up from a lower rank (1-10) in the next season is much easier compared to ranking up from say 17-19 in the current season!

So will the ranking up be 50% faster considering the season is halved? Or will it now be impossible for people who can't play 8h a day to reach higher ranks?

Raunbjorn

Lantea;n10081341 said:
So will the ranking up be 50% faster considering the season is halved? Or will it now be impossible for people who can't play 8h a day to reach higher ranks?

It will be impossible for people with lives outside of the game to reach the highest ranks now. The grind is real.
Plus new players will have to face top players which is a bad idea imo.

''What’s more, at the start of a new season players will no longer automatically receive rank up rewards for the ranks they skipped.'' what made you guys even consider taking away rank up rewards when ranked goes live? we earned the mmr for those ranks through climbing the ladder the previous season, do we get them when the season ends ?

Dominika;n10078421 said:
[/DIV]
What’s more, at the start of a new season players will no longer automatically receive rank up rewards for the ranks they skipped.

Pardon me but this is unbelievably stupid, what was the guy making this up thinking?

You NEVER slash rewards, it is horrible business practice. In minds of many people this will taint the unquestionable generosity you have showed so far.

Everyone will understand that rewards will be adjusted, even halved, but introducing this new moment just weeks after enormous patch that put a strain on resources of even most dedicated players and players who bought many kegs.

I accept that CDPR has been very liberal (daily rewards, free premium Dijkstra + Lugos, etc.) in giving out free ore / kegs / scraps and stuff and it is not right to complain if they want to reduce the "freebies" but there are other more sensible ways to achieve this, like removing the Good Game system, reducing the daily rewards from 15 ore / scrap / powder to maybe 10. Taking away the ranking rewards... that's hard earned and takes HUGE amount of time investment to get to ranks 19 and beyond. Ranking rewards are not "freebies" to be taken away!

i dont understand. can you explain this a bit better? were just going to get less rewards then every season? when will you release what the updated rewards are for ranked? i hope they will make up the difference. im confident you guys will do whats right but a lot of changes lately have me scratching my head

Reposting my reply from Reddit...

TL;DR:

Probably a miscommunication due to some unclear wording. I think we'll still get the rewards, but they'll be given in a slightly different way.

THE LONG VERSION:

Let's press pause before we totally freak out. I know CDPR has done some stupid things with this recent downdate, but I actually think that this may be a case of some unintentionally misleading info.

They said that (paraphrasing):

- At the start of each new season, MMR will NOT decay for anyone who didn't play a ranked game during the previous season

- At the start of each new season, MMR will now decay to 1/2 (instead of the current 1/3) for anyone who played at least one ranked game during the previous season

- Players won't "automatically" be given the rank rewards for ranks you skipped in the new season

It looks like this is an attempt to not punish people who can't/don't play ranked for extended periods. Ok, fine.

But in a similar vein, it looks like they are trying to avoid rewarding that same group of inactive players by not AUTOMATICALLY giving rewards for the ranks you skip at the start of tbe next season.

My guess is that players who stay active each season will be given rewards for ranks skipped in the new season AFTER you play a ranked game in the new season.

Or put another way, you'll most likely "unlock" the rewards for ranks you've skipped in the new season by playing a ranked game.

In this sense, the rewards won't be "automatic" anymore, but you'll still get them.

Doing it this way wouldn't punish inactive players with excessive MMR decay, while also not rewarding them for not playing.

This differs slightly from what we have currently, where you get rewards for skipped ranks the instant you click on ranked play. But it would still allow you to receive those rewards once you become an active player in the new season.

Basically it means that if you want your skipped rank rewards at the start of a new season, you'll have to subject your MMR to decay in order to get them.

I think the announcement used a poor choice of words, which caused a lot of confusion. Hell, just read some of the card texts. It's not exactly like this would be the first time they've worded something poorly.

But hey, this is just my guess at what they MEANT to say.

Last edited:
AVK1995;n10081251 said:
Whats that supposed to mean? If I end this season with rank 19 (4000 mmr), then I begin next season with 2000 mmr and miss out on all ranking up rewards upto rank 10, which includes 10 kegs and other stuff. Would there be a way to earn this back?

Yeah, if there's indeed no way to earn those low rank rewards, than I rather would voluntarily start from the bottom to be able to get the rank up rewards. Which probably wouldn't be good either, 'cause I'd be playing with people with much smaller collection and give then a very unfair experience until I rank up. Maybe it's CDPR's intent to even out the playing field more this way (lower mmr players get cards quicker so they can be more competitive)?

Pruny;n10081391 said:
MAKE RANK 20 ENOUGH FOR PROLADER!
this meta is unbearable, i wont play stupid netdecks to get to 21
:mean:

So you won't play in Pro ladder Kappa :cheers:

These changes are terrible why would you punish players for being high rank with less rewards.... Also 1 month seasons sound like a bad idea as well. I really don't like the direction the game is taking.

This change incentivizes players to deliberately tank their MMR to get placed lower when the season starts in order to receive rank up rewards for ranks 1-10. It seems like a crazy decision - you are punishing the players who play your game the most. Why start a negative sentence with "What's more..." implying its going to be a positive change. Horrible PR, people are going to be angry.

Farodsbro;n10082541 said:
This change incentivizes players to deliberately tank their MMR to get placed lower when the season starts in order to receive rank up rewards for ranks 1-10.

Doesn't work because you cannot drop in rank, even when your MMR goes rock-bottom, you will still maintain your current rank.

Pravicors;n10081991 said:
Reposting my reply from Reddit...

TL;DR Probably a miscommunication due to some unclear wording. I think we'll still get the rewards, but they'll be given in a slightly different way.

THE LONG VERSION:

Let's press pause before we totally freak out. I know CDPR has done some stupid things with this recent downdate, but I actually think that this may be a case of some unintentionally misleading info.

They said that:

- MMR will now decay to 1/2, instead of to 1/3, for anyone who plays at least one ranked game during that season

- MMR will NOT decay for anyone who doesn't play a ranked game during that season

It looks like this is an attempt to not punish people who can't/don't play ranked for extended periods. Ok, fine.

But in that vein, it looks like they are trying to avoid rewarding that same group of inactive players as well by not giving rewards for the ranks you skip at the start of tbe next season.

So, my guess is that players who stay active each season will not be given rewards for ranks skipped in the new season until AFTER you play a ranked game in the new season.

Doing it this way would allow for not punishing inactive players with excessive MMR decay, while also not rewarding them for not playing.

For active players this differs slightly from what we have currently, where you get rewards for skipped ranks the instant you click on ranked play, but would still allow those rewards to be received once you qualify for MMR reduction (by playing a game that season) for being an active player.

But hey, this is just my guess at what they MEANT to say.

What they meant to say is that they will give less rewards. Simple as that.
Every action they took the last month is a copy-paste from the greedy book of EA.

As the rewards will get cut down, more "bundles" will appear on the shop for real money.

PS. All the rage from the community the last days, it's a good thing. As a developer myself, i prefer to have 1000 negative comments and 10 positive, than 10 positive and 1 negative. The first means that i made an awesome game that got people hooked, and i must take the next steps with caution and rethink my options. In the 2nd case, it's over. The ship has sailed, the game is doomed and everyone abandoned it.
The most recent example i remember is with Star Wars the old republic, which was exactly the same case.
1) People that got bored and angry from WoW, jumped to SWTOR. (like people were angry with Hearthstone and jumped to Gwent)
2) It was going very good at the start. Almost all servers were full. There was world pvp that was absent from wow, and people wanted that (like Gwent people wanted skill based play instead of Hearthstone's RNG clownfiesta)
3) EA didn't wanted to fix world pvp and other important stuff and started removing content. Whole world pvp planet was removed (like CDPR started dumbing down cards, removing triple cards, removing interesting mechanics)
4) Then the copy of WoW started. Everything from skills, talents, talent trees etc, all became a cheap copy of WoW. (like in Gwent the RNG runes, the spawn / discover mechanics, the flashy animations, the card droppping on board, etc. )
5) Game failed and went from subscription to f2p mode. Player gear started to get removed from the game and added later in in the shop for real money. New sloppy content in the form or reskinned and recolored gear and items had flooded the game, so people that chose to play as f2p, wouldn't be able to keep up without spending money, even if they were playing 24/7. (first sign in gwent is the removal of rewards for the ranks skipped, starting even from the rewards of this 2 month season. )

Also, there was some leak that CDPR will treat games as "selling services" (Gwent and Cyberpunk) Ofc when fuss was created, they made a post and denied it, like every sane company would do.
But when there's smoke there's also fire.

Last edited:
Dominika;n10078421 said:
[...]What’s more, at the start of a new season players will no longer automatically receive rank up rewards for the ranks they skipped.[...]
Pravicors;n10081991 said:
[...]So, my guess is that players who stay active each season will not be given rewards for ranks skipped in the new season until AFTER you play a ranked game in the new season.[...]

I think the word 'automatically' makes that assumption pretty justifiable and would make sense because you no longer drop MMR when not playing ranked in a season.
Dominika;n10078421 said:
[...]Another change is that at the end of a season, ranking points of all players will be reduced by 50% (except for players who did not play a single ranked game in that season – their ranking points will not be reduced in such case).[...]
With the current system - automatically gaining the skipped ranked rewards by opening the ranked screen - you could farm those rewards without playing. Although I might be naive on this, a clarification would be great.

Top Bottom