Patch 3.1 Overview

+

Burza46

CD PROJEKT RED

Want to know more about patch 3.1? Join Paweł Burza, Jason Slama and Ostry as they go over the update and touch upon the future!

Oh, I can't wait to see the patch notes tomorrow.
Sounds like there's going to be a lot of in-game reading, and some re-learning to do once 3.1 goes live. Should be interesting. :D

Wow, nice NR changes in the video. You killed my fave (demavend engine overload) but this should open up a lot of new playing possibilities which seems quite good. Can't wait to see what will happen with ST.

Finally we know why we never see Ostry and Slama in one place. They are the same person who just dopplers between different appearances!

I like the way they are going with removal and all shown NR changes seem pretty good too. More Formations are great, resupply sounds neat, more zeal is a much needed change and allows card like Natalis to get a better ability. Having Crewed back is also great and makes unit placement a lot more important again.

256 cards and 4 leaders! Did I hear that right? Okay I am actually hyped! And from what I am seeing there are some Gold cards changes!
Can we expect a Crimson Curse buff :shrug:

I have a bad feeling about this patch. They talked about boosting the NR faction but all I saw in the video is nerf. They talking about more zeal than they show us all the zeal giving cards changed (John Natalis, Drummer, even Ves is instant killed with 5 value). 2 of the best weapons NR have is nerfed and killed: Foltest's pride, and Flail.
I agree the direction but I think they chose the wrong cards to proove a point in the video.
I guess we'll see...

They talked about boosting the NR faction but all I saw in the video is nerf.
Ves is almost foltest charge, 5 Power is not to be underestimated(how is 5 damage is easily achieved?), Drummers were easily removed and were almost non-existent in decks because of their high provisions, Roche Merciless now gives Zeal almost all of the time! and if you've seen John Natalis winrate/play rate you will change your mind instantly if that is a nerf. Also, let's not forget NR have 28 reworked cards, so by seeing only a few, we can't understand if that is a nerf or a buff because of how the cards synergize with each other.

They talking about more zeal than they show us all the zeal giving cards changed (John Natalis, Drummer, even Ves is instant killed with 5 value).
If more cards have zeal from the start there isn't any necessarity for other means to get zeal. And I bet, Foltest will get his Zeal removed, too, which will be really big buff for NR, because now cards with order don't have to be balanced around Foltest anymore.

2 of the best weapons NR have is nerfed and killed: Foltest's pride, and Flail.
They were actually one of the worst cards NR had, together with Kyan. Thanks to those few cards, the value of a single charge was so huge, that giving a charge to a unit, which got only 1 point out of a charge, was worthless, except if all better units had been removed already.
From what we have seen, they likely changed every engine that gets reliable more than 1 value out of a charge, such that the basic value of a charge becomes 1 and more value is conditional.

By the way, what are the bets on the 4 changed leaders?
-I'm pretty sure of Foltest and Adda are changed. Foltest due to Zeal and Adda due to heavy removal no longer having a place in NR
-I doubt it will be Calanthe or Demavend, as Calanthe is too new to be changed in my opinion. And Demavend should be a lot more balanced and healthy now, so I see no need to change him.
-Meve might be too good with more inspiration interactions, but I doubt that she changes
-Henselt might change as there isn't that much synergy with him and the faction, but he is useful and used
-Woodland and Eredin could be potential candidates too in my opinion
-or Francesca as she is another leader limitting design space and they are moving away from a big special card archetype and more towards giving each faction a small special card archetype

Last edited:
By the way, what are the bets on the 4 changed leaders?

1. Adda is 100% getting changed, too binary of ability with little to none synergy (except for our boy Hubert) and that in itself shows that this leader is limited to 1 card combo, which in itself is not good compared to other leaders.
2. The Foltest change you mentioned (Zeal getting removed) is interesting to me and it's not far from the truth, speculatively speaking, however that means that his ability get complete Rework and I don't see that happening, but CDPR have amazed me with their decision in past couple of months (in a good way), so this change can be in the realm of possibilities!
3. Woodland is also a leader with a similar problem to Adda, we've seen that pure point value is not the way to go with the leaders, because of tall removal, because of how "All in" is that kind of ability, and people can play around it very easily!
4. Which leads to the next leader you suggested to get changed Franchesca, I think Franchesca is the kind of leader that is perfectly balanced with lots of design space and cool and interactive combos, her ability seems at times "broken" and "limiting design space" but that problem is solved with the provision value of the leader! So I am not positive Franchesca gets changed, just because of how leaders work and how much impact they need to have on the board and the game as a whole!

So overall my speculation for the leader changes are as follows - Adda and Woodland are 99% of the times getting changed; Morvran might get buff to his order ability; so the 4th leader is the tricky one I see Cleaver getting buffed because of how underwhelming he is for SY criteria

Siege Engines and Soldiers synergy sounds like a fun change, and is more in line with the goal of making Gwent feel like a battlefield. RIP Flail - that was a pretty nifty card that I personally enjoyed quite a bit. I even made a deck with Caretaker just to double down on it. Shield archetype harkens back to the Kaedweni armored units from the Beta. Glad to see NR getting some love.

Any speculation on what will have us "throwing our shirts off in the street"? I was thinking Redania, but they also said it will surprise many people.

256 cards and 4 leaders! Did I hear that right? Okay I am actually hyped! And from what I am seeing there are some Gold cards changes!
Can we expect a Crimson Curse buff :shrug:
Yea. Rework in beteween expansions gives a huge chance to create completly different meta with different deckbuilds using the same set of cards. Should be fun :beer:

Last edited:
Top Bottom