Puzzles and Riddles in TW3

+
Puzzles and Riddles in TW3

TW2 had a few nice puzzles and Riddles that were fun to solve and gave us cool rewards for doing so. do we want them to return in TW3?If so how should they be implemented? Lets discuss it!!

My 2 cents:
I particularly would love to see a lot more puzzles and riddles in TW3, particularly in side-quests that reward us with cool stuff like equipment, secret locations or easter eggs.
I would be cool if CDPR added a few difficult puzzles( maybe taken from IQ tests), and also famously difficult riddles.
To me the perfect scenario would be:
While exploring the world you find a cave and in this cave you find a little gnome like monster that sits on a stool and eats roast fish, seeing that he is no threat, you approach and talk to him, he playfully tells you that he is very fond of riddles, and if you can answer all his riddles he'll make it worth your while, you accept and tell him to ask away, after answering correctly the first two you hopelessly get stumped on the third and he laughs and says he loves it when people get it wrong, so accepting defeat you leave and continue your adventures. Some time later you figure out the answer and go back to the creature, after answering correctly, he offers you a bit of fish and shows you a secret passage to a grove where you can find a special kind of moss that allows you to make a certain potion way more efficient and way less toxic.

"What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?"

Seriously, the skeptical alchemist in TW1 Act III and the talking golem in TW2 Act III are perfect examples of what the game should have more of. The talking golem reminded me of the times Kirk battled AI entities in the original Star Trek.

Last edited:
TW2 had a few nice puzzles and Riddles that were fun to solve and gave us cool rewards for doing so. do we want them to return in TW3?If so how should they be implemented? Lets discuss it!!

My 2 cents:
I particularly would love to see a lot more puzzles and riddles in TW3, particularly in side-quests that reward us with cool stuff like equipment, secret locations or easter eggs.
I would be cool if CDPR added a few difficult puzzles( maybe taken from IQ tests), and also famously difficult riddles.
To me the perfect scenario would be:
While exploring the world you find a cave and in this cave you find a little gnome like monster that sits on a stool and eats roast fish, seeing that he is no threat, you approach and talk to him, he playfully tells you that he is very fond of riddles, and if you can answer all his riddles he'll make it worth your while, you accept and tell him to ask away, after answering correctly the first two you hopelessly get stumped on the third and he laughs and says he loves it when people get it wrong, so accepting defeat you leave and continue your adventures. Some time later you figure out the answer and go back to the creature, after answering correctly, he offers you a bit of fish and shows you a secret passage to a grove where you can find a special kind of moss that allows you to make a certain potion way more efficient and way less toxic.

I don't know man, devs said it's not a puzzle game and I don't like riddles so much.
I want to have fun!!!

I'd love to have to defeat a monster using "riddles" or a certain tactic, instead of slashing at it like there is no tomorrow. Much like the Kikimore Queen in W1, but a bit more complicated.

I wouldn't expect a Witcher title to have Puzzles like Braid, but with "100 Hours of Content", definitely there better be some puzzles/riddles in there like what we saw in TW1/2 and challenging ones too. The Witcher games are aimed at a mature audience, not young teens or kids, so why not have a few interesting & challenging puzzles/riddles.

This isn't some linear shooting gallery style game like your latest Battlefield, COD or even something like Uncharted. This is a big, RPG, it's an adventure & no adventure is complete without a brain stomping puzzle here & there. Also with Geralt jumping now maybe there might even be a few rocky platforming moments where bad jumping = death. Nothing makes me more happy than seeing a big game add little cool platforming/puzzle segments (As long as they feel natural & not thrown in for the sake of it).

Implying riddles and puzzles are not fun? :p

If not overdone I'm all for them. After hours of killing monsters, it's a nice change of pace every now and again.

If it is implemented like the riddles in the Secrets of Loc Muinne quest in W2 .... Then HELL YEAH!

Last edited:
If it is implemented like the riddles in the Secrets of Loc Muinne quest in W2 .... Then HELL YEAH!
The only quest that I haven't played yet. Damn, I really should start that 4th playthrough. Summer can't come soon enough.

As for riddles, yes, I'd love to see some of them. Hopefully, they won't be too easy.

Last edited:
Also with Geralt jumping now maybe there might even be a few rocky platforming moments where bad jumping = death. Nothing makes me more happy than seeing a big game add little cool platforming/puzzle segments (As long as they feel natural & not thrown in for the sake of it).

If there are jumping puzzles in TW3, I might just rage quit - there's a reason why I play RPGs and not platformers :p

If there are jumping puzzles in TW3, I might just rage quit - there's a reason why I play RPGs and not platformers :p

What if there are jumping puzzles where you have to trigger pressure plates with the crossbow?
Would that change your mind?

lol. Well I wasn't talking about full on jumping puzzles, this isn't Banjo Kazooie. However it could be something as simple as crossing over an area (Ravine or whatever) with a big pitfall & if you don't jump right then you'll fall & die. Nothing insane, but that intensity that comes from Death being very possible. Obviously moments like this wouldn't occur frequently, quite the opposite they would be quite rare, but just if it felt like an organic part of the world where you'd have to not screw up your jumps to make it form A to B, I'd be all for a few of those.

To think about it, all riddles I can think of in TW2 were done nicely and melted together quite nicely with the world. I hope there will be more.

lol. Well I wasn't talking about full on jumping puzzles, this isn't Banjo Kazooie. However it could be something as simple as crossing over an area (Ravine or whatever) with a big pitfall & if you don't jump right then you'll fall & die. Nothing insane, but that intensity that comes from Death being very possible. Obviously moments like this wouldn't occur frequently, quite the opposite they would be quite rare, but just if it felt like an organic part of the world where you'd have to not screw up your jumps to make it form A to B, I'd be all for a few of those.

You can already die if you fall from a cliff or something, I dont see a reason why not do it if it fits the environments. It would sure make exploring of some areas like mines or something more dynamic.

Alright, I'm sure we will have them few and far between.
But if I get stuck, I promsie I'm going to come hound you guys for some answers later. ;)

It's really damn good, one of the best quests in the EE version of W2, if not THE best.

Pretty much the best side quest in the game imo.

Having to solve the riddles and persuading the automaton giant was extremely satisfying and engaging and I really felt immersed in the world of the Witcher. More and more of that please!

Top Bottom