A very long shot for a Walking Toggle Mod for Gamepad - Information Required

+
A very long shot for a Walking Toggle Mod for Gamepad - Information Required

I find the walking input for gamepad very uncomfortable, you must move the left stick only a little and keep that position, if by mistake you move it a little more Geralt starts running. That's very uncomfortable for me.

I did a lot of research on nexus for mods and a lot of testing by doing some modifications and I find out a way to make Geralt only walk (no running) when moving the left stick.

I installed this mod: FixForLeftStick http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/575/?
and I edited this line: default inputModuleNeededToRun = -10.0; to become this -------> default inputModuleNeededToRun = 10.0;

This way when pushing the left stick Geralt walks, no running (sprinting by holding A button still works perfectly). That's perfect for me, when I'm exploring cities and villages I can walk (very immersive in my opinion) but when exploring out of settlements I would like the inputs to return vanilla, so I could make Geralt running again.

So, this is the information I need: would be possible to create a script which will change that line in game? To switch between -10 (running) and 10 (no running) by pressing a key? Or the inputs can't be modified while in game?

Last edited:
I use a similar thing where when I have the stick fully extended, Geralt walks. Holding the button will make him run like indoors. I didn't use that leftstickmod though, but edited the exploration.ws file to make this happen.

I prefer this setting as it lets me walk whenever and wherever I want. Very immersive, esp with the close up camera.

Regarding your issue, not sure how you'd go about changing the script in real time while in game. If the setting was some controller profile on Inputmapper, there might have been a way to switch profiles in real time in game. But I'm no expert in all this tech stuff, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will answer.

I would like to try your setting, if you don't mind to share, please. :)
Actually I used to have your same setting, a friend of mine did it for me but it stopped working after the patch 1.10 and he never found the time to update it (too busy with his job and updating his mods).

Right now my setting allows me to walk with the left stick and sprinting with the A button, but I would prefer running over sprinting.

would it be possible to, like sprinting on horse or boat, walk when pushing the stick fully forward, jog/run when holding A, and sprint only after double pressing A?

I would like to try your setting, if you don't mind to share, please. :)
Actually I used to have your same setting, a friend of mine did it for me but it stopped working after the patch 1.10 and he never found the time to update it (too busy with his job and updating his mods).

Right now my setting allows me to walk with the left stick and sprinting with the A button, but I would prefer running over sprinting.

Here are the details:

Description: player can't sprint when exploring. Movement is like in interiors.

File to edit: exploration.ws
How to:

1. Search for "OnEnterState"

2. Add "parent.BlockAction( EIAB_Sprint,'Exploration' );"

3. Search for "OnLeaveState"

4. Add "parent.UnblockAction( EIAB_Sprint,'Exploration' );"

Current limitation: you need to enter the state "Exploration" so you need to cause a state change. Just punch the sky or swing a sword and it's on.

If you're also wanting my close up camera tweaks, I'll have to upload that when I get back home. But I think you're only wanting the walking settings.

---------- Updated at 12:30 PM ----------

would it be possible to, like sprinting on horse or boat, walk when pushing the stick fully forward, jog/run when holding A, and sprint only after double pressing A?

That would be the ideal case for me. But I don't know how to go about it.

@Exentryk thanks for the information, I will try extracting that script and edit it, I never did something like this before. Btw, my old setting didn't need to cause a state change (the previous version of it needed it, then my friend managed to fix it). Maybe you are interested in giving it a look?

Btw, my old setting didn't need to cause a state change (the previous version of it needed it, then my friend managed to fix it). Maybe you are interested in giving it a look?

Oh? Nice to know. The state change doesn't bother me too much actually. It's just a quick punch anyway.

If your friend did some other method without state change, then I am not sure how that would be done. Let us know if you find something more about it though :)

So, I was looking for modding tutorials and I found out I didn't need the modkit for this tweak, all the scripts are already extracted in the game folder ready to be copy/pasted on the desktop... -__-"

I tried your setting, I pasted the lines on the exploration.ws and paste it in the mods folder, it worked perfectly so thanks a lot :)
After that I tried to do the same with my old friend's setting, adding his lines to the ws file, but it doesn't work. He edited the file r4player.ws, not the exploration.ws, so I added his lines to the new and updated version of the r4player.ws found in the game folder, but when I load the game I got this error:

Error [modwalk]game\player\r4player.ws(1564): syntax error, unexpected TOKEN_IDENT, expecting TOKEN_FUNCTION, near 'NoRunningExploring'

I know nothing about scripting so I have no idea what does this mean...

The punch thing doesn't bother me either, so I will stick with the exploration.ws method, but it was worth a try. Thanks againExentryk.

Last edited:
If the change is made in the scripts probably, would be possible to make a toggle for it... just saying...

(Not offering to do it, since I already got a lot of trouble for my own lol)

Top Bottom