Open letter from GWENT development team

+
Open letter from GWENT development team

Hey!

Thank you for the massive amount of feedback you provided over these last weeks. You let us know certain stuff would definitely benefit from additional polish (understatement), and we heard you. We released a patch and hotfix which addressed major problems you reported — fixes for things like spies spawning from create, Emhyr’s interaction with an opponent’s hand, and double interactions (e.g. double damage for Alzur’s Thunder). This is just the beginning, as we’re also looking into card names and descriptions, as well as overall balance.

We also believe that we owe you an explanation as to why we wanted to launch this patch before the holidays. It’s a mix of various factors, including one bad call on our part.

Let’s start with the tech and visual changes. We’ve been working on them for a very long time. These under-the-hood changes lay foundations for future updates which will define GWENT, and we wanted to make sure everything worked. Then there’s the content drop (over 120 new cards) and the fact we haven’t introduced new cards in some time. We wanted to close the core set of GWENT’s cards for some time now (so we could divert focus to bigger expansions) and these cards have been burning a hole in our servers. We wanted them to finally be in the wild, in your hands — ideally before the holidays, so you can play with new combinations during your free time. The lesson we learned from this? Don’t bite off more than you can chew, and don’t mix new tech with big content drops. Truth is, we should have waited longer and properly tested everything (for example, problems with full mill value of cards are a result of this) instead of rushing the release. Us wanting you to have stuff to play with is one thing. Us breaking things because of that is another.

We’d like to sincerely apologise for all the problems this has caused — it’s a tough lesson and there will be no more screw-ups like this in the future.

As for the immediate future, we’re continuing to work on balancing the last update (dwarves!!). The latest patch and hotfix addressed only major bugs, so expect adjustments soon. Additionally, starting from early February, we will only be balancing cards after the season ends. This will give you more stability and predictability. The only exception to this are major bug hotfixes.

We’d again like to thank you for being so vocal about what’s happening with GWENT — it means you care, which means the world to us.

Best regards,
Team GWENT

Thank you. It was about time to have something like that adressed to the community.

Dominika;n10261202 said:
[...]These under-the-hood changes lay foundations for future updates which will define GWENT, and we wanted to make sure everything worked.[...]
A definition of gwent is what we need, sooner rather than later - best case with the next patch already setting the final tone. Good to know that you are aware of this and you finally got something specific in mind?!

Dominika;n10261202 said:
[...]The only exception to this are major bug hotfixes. [...]
I hope you don't fear balance hotfixes either, like in the past. Because that is what hotfixes are made for. Additionally I hope the first PTR test with the Midwinter update worked out for you and you'll be able to launch it for a couple of days this time and react to the feedback and data you gathered.

Again I am genuinely grateful to read such a post, less generic than those before. Pushes away that feeling of talking with the own hand a bit.

Last edited:
I am very glad you are taking time to address the new issue that have arisen since mid Winter. However, that does not mean older issues can be ignored. We still need a fix for the coin flip. We still need a fix for pro ladder not counting toward normal ranked season (either we give up ranked rewards or we can't play enough pro ladder.) We still need more avatar support for casual players (I suggest making old top rewards available as rank 5 rewards 3 seasons after they are given out. For example potion Geralt was a good season 3 top 1000 award which can go out in season 6 or 7.) We still need an increase in season awards to compensate players for the skipped ranks no longer awarded (so that players have no incentive to tank in the rankings.) We still need a reduction in loss penalty so more players can reach 21 without net decks.

Additionally, you should strongly consider giving access to cards not in collection in practice mode. This way players can test out decks before buying cards (and therefore plan accordingly.) This not only helps with deck building, but gives you (the developers) the ability to run a mini beta and make new cards available in single player (without being available in multiplayer) so that you can get feedback and have players test them for exploits that unbalance the game.

I cannot speak for the fan base, but I can promise you 3 things. 1. People here want you to succeed. 2. If you make a good product new players will come. 3. You don't have to make all your money from barrels. Build a big enough player base and we fill fund you for new content (single player campaigns, tournaments, Kickstarter for new cards, modes, factions, etc...) You can make a lot of money from gwent if you just play your cards right :).

Overall, for the big drop and changes the DEV team did a good job. Obviously a positive is that we could test also as part of our beta contribution.
I think ignoring all the issues which will always happen a frustrating thing is that a lot of cards became from rare to normal, which decreased a massive mill value. This was a change which was not addressed to the users and which caused a lot of losses. I think a 3 days of Normal (not increased) mill value for cards which were rare should be applied. Therefore you mill your previously rare card for 10, not for 5 as it is normal now.

Dominika;n10261202 said:
no more screw-ups like this

Very much appreciated the content of this letter. Mistakes will be made, to err is human after all. Even parts like the above need not be promised I feel - we cannot predict the future, but I have faith in the team and am continuing to enjoy Gwent despite the hiccups. So 'thank you' for sharing this, and I wish the team well in the upcoming balancing / attack on Dwarf Central.

Wonderboy8700;n10261792 said:
You can make a lot of money from gwent if you just play your cards right .

And slightly off-topic, but I love a good pun. :)

Thanks for the update. I appreciate the work you guys put in and I know you are attentive to fan feedback so I hope it's OK for me to chime in with the things I personally find most important going forward.

FIRSTLY, although it may not seem like a big deal, the CARD NAME CHANGES have definitely lessened my enjoyment of the game. Far more than anything else that was changed with the Midwinter update. I don't wanna play "Mushrooms", I wanna play "Mardroeme". I don't wanna play "Elven Saboteur", I wanna play "Blue Mountain Commando".

This move toward making every card sound like a generic placeholder as well as reducing the flavour of the major lore characters by shortening their names to just their forename was, in my opinion, a massive mistake. People are not idiots. They don't struggle to remember long card names so don't treat them as such. It wouldn't be so bad if not for the inconsistency which gives the change no meaning. If a card name like "Alzur's Double-Cross" or "Djenge Frett" can stay in, why can't "Phillipa Eilhart"? Or "Margarita Laux Antille"? Or "Crach an Craite"?

SECOND, the complete ruination of Skellige has to be reversed in some way. The identity of the faction was changed beyond belief. Barely any cards do what they used to do prior to the update. Changing literally every tutor / resurrect card in the faction has essentially gutted them. Combined with the fairly stagnant meta (Dorfs, more Dorfs, a little Nekker Consume, some more Dorfs and occasionally NG spies/alchemy) this change is another that has significantly reduced my enjoyment of the game.

FINALLY, the season length change is both a good and a bad thing. I like shorter seasons, but the fact that we aren't getting even half of what we used to get in terms of rewards is kind of a bummer. Either remove the rewards for auto-gained ranks OR reduce the overall season rewards, but not both, man. Not both.

Anyway, I hope someone at CDPR at least sees this and considers it going forward. I'm not alone in having the concerns I've listed above.

Take care, dudes, and here's hoping you continue to learn and make a great game (because it still is a great game, even in it's current state) even better! :)

Last edited:
Steve Jobs once said that all companies make mistakes but great ones are defined by how they amend them. Good thing CDPR has taken the first step in that direction and I'm really hopeful and excited for upcoming updates!

The previous patch is what it is but I've never lost faith in you guys.
I'm pretty sure you're trying to do all you can to bring us a great game with Gwent but doing so require to make some choices, some are good, others not so much but at the end of the day, the most important is to realize what you made wrong and learn from your mistakes. That's what make you such a great team.

You definitely have the ability to make amazing games, you proved it many times (with the Witcher series and not later than the patch right before this one, Gwent was pretty much perfect at this point) so I'm not worry and I know you will bring everything back to a good state.

Todhor;n10261872 said:
I think ignoring all the issues which will always happen a frustrating thing is that a lot of cards became from rare to normal, which decreased a massive mill value. This was a change which was not addressed to the users and which caused a lot of losses. I think a 3 days of Normal (not increased) mill value for cards which were rare should be applied. Therefore you mill your previously rare card for 10, not for 5 as it is normal now.

You are totally wrong. There was only 1 card rare changed to normal : Flaminica. There was also 1 card upgraded from normal to rare : Queen sign to that new shield.
Also milling normal card is 10 not 5.

Thank you CDPR! Reading this makes us a lot calmer and only gives us good hopes for the game, not that I ever lost any. I feel like listening to some Fields of Ard Skellige now.

[...]Additionally, you should strongly consider giving access to cards not in collection in practice mode.[...]
That is something that has been suggested/demanded pretty long now (probably a literal year?) and is important for a CCG I feel. Especially new players and that who don't play massive amounts of gwent will welcome that.
I don't agree with the first part of your post although, but I won't discuss that again either - since those matters have been 'discussed' pretty sizeable already.

Todhor;n10261872 said:
[...]I think a 3 days of Normal (not increased) mill value for cards which were rare should be applied. [...]
This is an idea I pretty much like. 'Demoting' rare bronzes to common ones is pivotal longterm, therefore this is a quite fair adaptation not to punish players for that card demotion.

CallMeHoot Agreed to all of the 3 paragraphs. Regarding all the flavour, I genuinely hope CDPR just 100% reverses the name changing and go on with the names like they used to prior to the midwinter expansion/patch.
For sounds and animations I hope they'll evaluate them conscientious as well. In my opinion at least some of them have to be changed back to what they were - has been discussed as well. Neither do I see and hear someone burning, when scorch is played; Nor can I imagine a lesser monster screaming and writhing in pain while another monster eats it up whole, anymore - only two examples.

Dominika;n10261202 said:
Additionally, starting from early February, we will only be balancing cards after the season ends. This will give you more stability and predictability. The only exception to this are major bug hotfixes.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
:yes::nice::geraltthatsgood:

I suggest making old top rewards available as rank 5 rewards 3 seasons after they are given out. For example potion Geralt was a good season 3 top 1000 award which can go out in season 6 or 7.

I support this idea.

Rotating out Avatars as extra rewards in later seasons is a great idea. Probably not for Rank 5 though. I would say make them available for Rank 15 at least. This way it still actually requires some commitment to achieve.

Top Bottom