Older Release Date and General Speculation Thread.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
garayba;n7449850 said:
i didn't say the hype make the games bad , you said that . i meant that too much hype is not good for the game because it may set unrealistic expectations . look cyberpunk will be better than witcher 3 and the best rpg ever that's 100% . but 4 years now and more of them saying it's going to be this and this and people dream is not good , because when they show it , it way not be what people imagined it. but that's my opinion you don't have to agree with me

They never said that Cyberpunk will be best rpg ever or better than Witcher 3.

Also, the big expectations is not CDPR fault, but the fact that Witcher 3 was very well received and its obvious ppl expect Witcher 3 level game or in many cases even better, nothing u can do about it.

U cant blame them because what they are doing right now is very safe in terms of marketing/pr for Cyberpunk 2077. They are still silent, and waiting for the right moment to kick off the marketing campaign, probably when they will have confidence about CP2077 quality.

braindancer12;n7454870 said:
Keep in mind they said CP will set totally new standards in the futuristic RPG genre

Yeah. Kinda like how they back in the day said Witcher 3 was going to revolutionize the RPG genre. Talk the talk.

kofeiiniturpa;n7454940 said:
Yeah. Kinda like how they back in the day said Witcher 3 was going to revolutionize the RPG genre. Talk the talk.

Hrm. Interesting point. I don't know who at CDPR said it would revolutionize the genre or even what that means. I'd argue it absolutely changed the genre substantially and for the better. To have such a crazy popular game that is also well-written and adult and huge and had so much free stuff and two expansions, both also superb and one the size of many games (20 hours).

Yeah, to have so much for the standard price as any other game raises the bar for people like Bethesda, EA, etc. Now, will they learn from this? I think they will. Certainly the designers will, whether or not the publishers let them is another matter.

I'd argue Kickstarter was equally influential on the genre, of course, but that's another thread.

I do think many people will look back at Witcher 3 and say it was genre-defining for them, as PST or BG2 was for us at the time and Final Fantasy was for others. I think it will be a high-water mark and act as a target for others. For awhile.

Call it an uplift, not a revolution, maybe.

Sardukhar;n7455200 said:
I don't know who at CDPR said it would revolutionize the genre or even what that means.

I don't remember who it was either. But I do remember reading it (and that there was no specification on what was supposed to mean) and thinking: "Yeah right I've heard this one before from a certain 'Peter' guy (who used to make some of my childhood favorites), better to just leave this thing cook up in peace and see for myself once its done".

I don't think it did anything really substantial. "Adult" writing wasn't a particularly new thing and Bethesda's juvenile sandboxes were already more popular. It just made adult oriented storytelling bigger than before (and admittedly more skillfully than most of its time). One might even suggest that there is some overrating going on with it (as is custom in this industry when ever something becomes a bit more popular than what's absolutely normal).

Sardukhar;n7455200 said:
Call it an uplift, not a revolution, maybe.

That sounds reasonable. In some ways.

kofeiiniturpa;n7454940 said:

Well, just come across an interesting quote from Iwiński regarding talking about Cyberpunk, it kinda touches on the subject - ""This is a tricky part here because we shouldn't really talk about Cyberpunk," said Iwinski, "but I'll give you one reason why. Every single time I say something like this, like 'yes we can invest...' - which is true, essentially - it makes big news. And I think this big news is sort of becoming, first of all, repetitive, and second, maybe a bit too bloated. We are not spinning it into big news, and we really want to expose anything to be perceived like a big ego."

@kofeiiniturpa you are wrong, they never promoted Witcher 3 as "revolutionary", their only goal with Witcher 3 was to make story driven ARPG in open world environment, and they achieve this. If u have source u can share, but i don't think there is one

BTW: Interesting photo from CDPR 2016 sum up: Cyberpunk 2077 character art team??? :p

Sneky;n7457010 said:
@kofeiiniturpa you are wrong, they never promoted Witcher 3 as "revolutionary", their only goal with Witcher 3 was to make story driven ARPG in open world environment, and they achieve this. If u have source u can share, but i don't think there is one

BTW: Interesting photo from CDPR 2016 sum up: Cyberpunk 2077 character art team??? :p

Its certainly got the atmospheric lighting, and those hairstyles dont seem Witcher-like, especially that split ponytail mohawk thing in the forefront.

Last edited:
Theres also this. Cant tell if C2077 or artwork for something Witchery.

In an interview back from May 2016, John Mamais said they wanted to get to 500+ people to take on Cyberpunk in a years time.

They are almost there now, they'll definitely be there by May.

Last edited:
LOTS of art needed for CP2077.
With Witcher much of what you saw was plants, rocks, and water so the number of unique art assets needed was limited. If they want to create a "real" city they can't just clone buildings and streets because it'd be way too generic and obvious as hell.

Tarathelion;n7459370 said:
I think those pictures maybe from Promised land festival (nothing to do with any games cdpr is doing)

Some are from studio i think, motion capture room, sound designers room etc. I even remember that before Witcher 3 launch some developer doing interview said that they are preparing some rooms on the upper floors with Cyberpunk lighting for obvious reasons.

Tarathelion;n7456780 said:
Well, just come across an interesting quote from Iwiński regarding talking about Cyberpunk, it kinda touches on the subject - ""This is a tricky part here because we shouldn't really talk about Cyberpunk," said Iwinski, "but I'll give you one reason why. Every single time I say something like this, like 'yes we can invest...' - which is true, essentially - it makes big news. And I think this big news is sort of becoming, first of all, repetitive, and second, maybe a bit too bloated. We are not spinning it into big news, and we really want to expose anything to be perceived like a big ego."

The ego bit at least is a step in the right direction (if I understood it correctly, the wording seems weird to me, but surely he's not saying they want flash out with a big ego... or?). Being a bit more humble about what you're doing even if you are ambitious and proud and sure about it never hurt anyone.

Sneky;n7457010 said:

Nope. I'm certain about this. There was even a thread about it in the Witcher forums back then. The word wasn't "revolutionize", that I remembered wrong, but the message is the same nonetheless.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forum...-as-we-know-it

Last edited:
lord_blex;n7460860 said:
maybe not exactly in those words, but even their debut trailer said "a crowning achievement of the rpg genre". that's definitely talking the big talk.

There is not many arpgs like Witcher 3 on the market. Open world, story driven, C&C. From the start they wanted to combine all best elements from Witcher 1 & 2 corridors with Witcher 3 open world, for some it is "crowning achievement" for some not. I think there is no other game which connects all these elements in such a good way, with some shortcuts but still. I think they will improve many thinks from Witcher 3 in Cyberpunk, it was their first shot in open world so they probably learned alot of things.

Sneky;n7460750 said:
Some are from studio i think, motion capture room, sound designers room etc. I even remember that before Witcher 3 launch some developer doing interview said that they are preparing some rooms on the upper floors with Cyberpunk lighting for obvious reasons.

yea, i meant those pics that have been uploaded here, if you look at the gallery, you can see few definitely from promised land as the logo appears. Some of those heads being worked on don't feel l;ike cyberpunk, there is some kinda of alien or monster among them, not to mention serena williams presence

Last edited:
Garrison72;n7457330 said:
More than 450 people in the development wing now. They're growing crazy fast, I think that's almost double the number that made TW3.

That's crazy. Can't be that many, is that also Gwent included?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom