Older Release Date and General Speculation Thread.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
"My wife told me that these guys in Poland wrote to us and said they wanted to do a Cyberpunk game," says Pondsmith. "They told me that the game was really important to them back in the Iron Curtain days – back then, they had Cyberpunk and communism. What impressed us was not just their capabilities and their well-organized toolsets, but that they knew and loved the material. I said, let's do this thing."
"I go over there pretty regularly," says Pondsmith. "I'll probably go back in the next couple of months. I'm in a room with a hundred people, all firing ideas back and forth. We jump up and down on the systems and see how well they work. I really got lucky."

Edo34;n7645770 said:
We jump up and down on the systems and see how well they work.

Good good, they already testing gameplay stuff in engine probably (hopefully). Tons of time to balance, polish, tweak and design new stuff or cut stuff that doesnt work. I think that for the core stuff they have much more than prototypes.

Sounds like there's some really strong creative energy pushing this project, that's always a good sign.

Even better that Mike is right there along with them helping this thing become a reality.

Edo34;n7645770 said:
"I go over there pretty regularly," says Pondsmith. "I'll probably go back in the next couple of months. I'm in a room with a hundred people, all firing ideas back and forth. We jump up and down on the systems and see how well they work. I really got lucky."

I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.
More input/testing/cooperation between team members: Yes.
Design by committee: Hell, no.

Above all else, CDPR needs experienced gameplay designers with good leadership/organization skills and a strong "vision".
Would hate to see Cyberpunk going the same route as Witcher with changing entire gameplay design with each game.

But at least they've had plenty of time to thoroughly think this through, seems Witcher had pretty chaotic development (given their inexperience and transition to large AAA studio), especially at the beginning.

There is a pretty interesting article about it: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-17-inside-the-witcher-3-launch

A few things in the article for people to consider:

=====================
"Those plans obviously include Cyberpunk 2077, CD Projekt Red's next big game, which was announced in May 2012. I had a look up upstairs at Cyberpunk development when I visited in 2013, but I wasn't allowed this time. There were around 50 people on the team back then so I imagine pre-production and planning are been done, but beyond that I don't know. All work done on the RedEngine for The Witcher will be mutually beneficial, and the experience the studio gained likewise."
====================
"With mention of Blizzard comes a fear of the big time, of becoming a corporation, and of CD Projekt Red no longer being one of the good guys - not to suggest that Blizzard isn't. Look at what happened to BioWare's image under EA. When you're at the top, the only place you can go is down."

"What we have as the slogan of our studio is that 'we are rebels'," Iwiński says. "Rebels, underdogs - I think it's a state of mind. The moment we start becoming conservative [and] stop taking creative risks and business risks, and stop being true to what we're doing, that's when we should worry. And I am not worried. Our values and our care for what we are doing and - hopefully what gamers would agree with - care for gamers is what drives this company forward. Whether we are big or small, we have a multiplatform open-world game or just a PC release, the game and our deeds are what counts, not the fact that we are perceived by some as the big guys."

"It's my personal horror to become a faceless behemoth of game development or publishing or whatnot," he adds. "As long as I am here I will be fighting for this not to happen."

====================

Yes, all this has been mentioned before, but I think it deserves to be mentioned again.

Last edited:
Suhiira;n7650060 said:
"It's my personal horror for Cyberpunk to have a turned based combat or whatnot," he adds. "As long as I am here I will be fighting for this not to happen."[/I]
====================

That sounds better. :p

Zagor-Te-Nay;n7652810 said:

This doesnt make sense, CDPR making from the start 3D story driven action-rpgs. There is plenty indie devs making isometric rpgs focused on live action combat with tactical pause or turn-based. CDPR is not one of them, and has never been.

Zagor-Te-Nay;n7652810 said:
I'd bet the farm CP2077 won't be turn-based.
The question is ... will it be entirely real-time FPS with no other options?

Last edited:
Zagor-Te-Nay;n7649080 said:
I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.
More input/testing/cooperation between team members: Yes.
Design by committee: Hell, no.

Above all else, CDPR needs experienced gameplay designers with good leadership/organization skills and a strong "vision".
Would hate to see Cyberpunk going the same route as Witcher with changing entire gameplay design with each game.

But at least they've had plenty of time to thoroughly think this through, seems Witcher had pretty chaotic development (given their inexperience and transition to large AAA studio), especially at the beginning.

There is a pretty interesting article about it: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-17-inside-the-witcher-3-launch

I will be perfectly content if Cyberpunk turns out to be half as good as Wild Hunt. The game's got its flaws, but it's still my favorite RPG in recent memory.

Sardukhar;n7642760 said:

Even pseudo-not-really-anything-news gets me pumped about this game.

Upgrading your body for combat is a core feature of Cyberpunk and a perfect fit for the kind of games CD Projekt Red has been making for years – The Witcher series is known for its deep character development systems – but Pondsmith tried to make sure that every cyborg enhancement was a carefully considered decision for players. "That's not just because of control of play and game balance," he says. "If you wanna maim yourself so you can be Robocop, you're gonna pay the price."

This part got me really excited at first because I thought it implied humanity cost is definitely in CP2077. I couldn't remember hearing that 100% before ... but thought maybe I had just missed it or forgotten by now. I started to go look through old articles but then went back and on closer reading, I think his quotes are about the pnp RPG and the author is just trying to make it read like they're about the video game. Grumble grumble stupid me getting carried away. Basically the only definitive point is I've got a fever and the only prescription is CP2077 info.

I have a question about Glixel article, and it has me confused and wondering.

It says that one of the things cyberpunk is about is "Doing the right thing agaisnt all odds." yet the books themselves suggest its about a living a life of crime in a dystopian future, with the protagonists likely at each others' throats.

kanonite;n7665380 said:
I have a question about Glixel article, and it has me confused and wondering.

It says that one of the things cyberpunk is about is "Doing the right thing agaisnt all odds." yet the books themselves suggest its about a living a life of crime in a dystopian future, with the protagonists likely at each others' throats.

You can take the easy route everyone else follows, crime for personal gain, back stabbing others to get ahead ... or ... you can "Do the right thing against all odds."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom