Interactive living open world (Aka. not movie set open world)

+
Oooh goodie, my first post on this forum is about a subject I've been ranting about for... god, years now!

I've been dying to see an open world sci-fi game of some repute. It never even had to be cyberpunk in particular (though I did prefer if it were that), as long as it had the classic sci-fi tropes I could play around with.
Yet after playing through the Saints Row series, I realized that I also desired an actual living world rather than one where I might be able to go wherever I please.

Compare Saints Row 2 to Saints Row 4. The first had what I like to call a "stock city"— otherwise not very original, with the world generally playing by the numbers. But it worked because the world itself felt so damn alive. There was so much character to Stilwater, and it never felt like any one district of the city was the same as another. The NPCs felt like real people (as far as 7th gen NPCs could, I mean), and the game world was fleshed out with so many interior environments and hidden locations. Not to mention that there were a few myths hidden around the map. It was the spiritual sequel to GTA: San Andreas in all forms.
Now look at Saints Row 4, which is the ultimate case of style over substance going wrong. It's great to pick up and play after you've let it sit for a few weeks, and there's endless joy to be had leaping over buildings and outrunning every vehicle in the game. However, I'm one of those "emergent gameplay" types, as well as an amateur writer. I love nothing more than just being able to put away my weapons and walk around game worlds, taking in the sights, imagining little plots, going down alleyways to discover treats. SR4's Steelport was not conducive to that at all. The city was a big blog of post-industrial hipster/gangsta blandness, which was sad because I felt that Saints Row the Third introduced a potentially neat city-character if only it could move past those problems. Unlike Stilwater, Steelport had character by design; a down-and-out rust belt city that had taken to debaucherous sex, drugs, and rap 'n roll to ease the pain. But it dropped the ball everywhere else, and they made it worse in the sequel by further removing any interiors and secrets for the sake of instant gratification.

"This isn't the Saints Row forums, Yuli."

No, no, listen. It's the same thing regardless of the series; it was just in Saints Row where I first truly realized it. I've noticed the same thing in games like Watch_Dogs (the first one, at least), where there's no color or variety to the gameworld.

And here's the thing— if you're making a wide-open world sandbox game, the last thing your gameworld should be is "boring." I eventually got around to playing No More Heroes, which I had been dying to play because I always wanted a cel-shaded sandbox game after playing Jet Set Radio Future, and it made me double down on my opinions— if the gameworld is worthlessly empty, the game had no reason being open world in the first place.

And then came that awfully mediocre Mirror's Edge: Catalyst. An open world cyberpunk parkour game? I've been drooling for such a thing ever since 2010. Did it deliver? Absolutely not. Despite being "open world", I'd argue that it was more linear than the first game in the end.

I trust CD Projekt Red to not make these same mistakes for Cyberpunk 2077. Though I have many desires for a "perfect" sandbox cy-fi game, desires I know for a fact they won't be able to deliver upon (they're rather specific desires!), I know I'll enjoy the game too much to care.

I think most of us here agree we'd much rather have a smaller "fleshed out" game world then a big empty "open world" you can't interact with.

Sheer size is meaningless, except to marketing types who think hype and buzz words mean something, content ... content has meaning.

I second that!
All I want these days is a decent sci-fi or cy-fi sandbox. Something in the spirit of GTA, particularly the likes of San Andreas or GTA V, where there's more to the world than just the urban landscape, but not so much that the map becomes a struggle to traverse— like Just Cause. The worlds in the Just Cause series are beautiful to look at from a distance, but once you got your fill of eye candy, you were left with a giant swath of nothing peppered with a few interesting locales. Usually cities, but sometimes natural locations.
It was most egregious in Just Cause 2. While I loved spending my time driving through the island nation of Panau listening to music, there was bugger all to do outside a scant few locations besides enjoy the scenery. Just Cause 3 almost had something going, but ruined it by making it a chore to get from island to island and then reducing the size of the big city to that of a moderately large town.
Fun games, no doubt, but the worst kind of sandbox game. Huge map for no other reason than bragging about its size.'

So yes, compact and thickly detailed is much better than massive and bland.
I hope Cyberpunk 2077 becomes that game, or better yet, the first of several. For it, I'm letting the whole "more places than just the city" thing slide since it's natural for a classic-style cyberpunk work to be set in a sprawling overpopulated megalopolis. Just as long as it makes up for it with things like transhumanist augmentation.

tl;dr: I've been patiently waiting for a game to fuse GTA: San Andreas with Deus Ex.
No reason to read on past this point unless you like watching schizoheads ramble about nothing.

Funny as hell, it was actually the Witcher 1 that first made me go "Hang on... has there ever actually been a science fiction open-world game?" I think I entertained the thought a few times back when I was playing through Red Dead: Redemption, and I definitely thought of it when playing Saints Row 2 (which had a particularly sci-fi esque district). But the Witcher was the game that finally made me realize that every sandbox game I had played up to that point was either

Contemporary crime (GTA; Saints Row; Sleeping Dogs; Watch_Dogs; Driver)
Historical (Red Dead: Redemption; Mafia; The Saboteur; The Godfather; Assassin's Creed)
Military/Mercenary (Mercenaries; Just Cause)
Fantasy (Name just about any big fantasy RPG in the past 20 years; start with The Elder Scrolls, Legend of Zelda, Dark Souls, The Witcher, and keep on moving)

When I tried thinking of sci-fi games in the open world genre, the only one that really came to mind was the Crackdown series— and that was only nominally sci-fi. Since then, I've looked into the matter and discovered that there have been more sci-fi open world games... but in most cases, you had to really stretch it to compare them to the likes of, say, GTA, but were not really "straight" science fiction.

Red Faction: Guerrilla and Fallout are sci-fi games, without question. And yes, they definitely have more natural world than cityscapes— too much so, in fact. Guerrilla was basically a stripped down Red Dead: Redemption on Mars, with so few actual large settlements as to make the whole place feel sparse (which I guess worked with the themes, and the game did have to wrestle with making every single object destructible). Fallout has a lot of retro sci-fi elements, but again, it's post-apocalyptic more than anything.
Borderlands also counts, but it was more akin to Fallout than that GTA style I've been looking for.

So yes, there have been open world sci-fi games in the past, before 2013 when I started looking. They've even been pretty big and influential. But they've usually been outside the two big genres— space opera and cyberpunk— so the classic sci-fi tropes are typically avoided. And while I'm perfectly fine with that, I do so crave to finally have a video game in the style of GTA where I can step inside a flying car and ride in front of starscrapers. Or get a retinal prosthesis to act as an augmented hud to aid with parkour. Or become a heavily augmented transhuman, fling myself out into the woods, and completely dominate all of nature.

Last edited:
Top Bottom