Quest markers are killing the joy of basic exploring.

+
i mean there is also that you will have street names and digital maps to use in 2077, this isn't some empty field that looks like all the other empty fields in a 10 minuet radius, it will be the corner of 2nd and Doheny, the dive bar there. quest markers don't really need to be in the world unless you set one on your GPS.

Hoplite_22;n8471760 said:
it will be the corner of 2nd and Doheny, the dive bar there. quest markers don't really need to be in the world unless you set one on your GPS.

Yeah, and even in that case, I think the player should be urged to set those GPS markers himself (and always to a vague area -- like that corner of 2nd and Doheny -- instead of straight to the target; I don't think personal surveillance should be allowed to the player but in very special cases and for roles that option fits, like cops or corps), rather than everything being set up automatically.

Now, there could be a tick box in the options menu that might set object tracking between automated and manual, or complex and simple... or something, what ever. But I don't endorse an idea (a popular one in games nowadays) that everything - by default - is automated and all the player needs to do, is cover the designated (and possibly marked) distance (and kill everything on the road there). That's not good gameplay.

Being able to turn markers on and off would be good. Maybe even a toggle for different types of markers. Let us choose if we want to see main quest, side quest, activities, shops, etc.

Suhiira;n8463960 said:
In the case of CP2077 in particular ... why?
It's a city, probably the one you grew up in.

yes the map is static but the things in it should not be. the map shouldnt tell you that there is a gun on that rooftop for instance if u haven't been up there.

Started well with describing the problem and then excused the problem with "just give me treasuremaps and little unlisted quests" and all the time cited Bethesda games as "good" examples. Sad frog.
:sad:

I actually turned off the mini map (and by extension quest markers and the controversial dotted line) while playing Blood and Wine, as an experiment. The game is very much playable that way, and witcher senses more useful than usual. But in a game this large, with so many sidequests and so much homogenous countryside in it, it had the effect of making a time-consuming activity even more so.

On the other hand, I thought Bloodlines was perfect without those UI elements. The areas were small and densely packed, and every building was large, distinctive, and helpfully labeled. After a while I got the hang of it and eventually I knew the city more or less by heart and could go anywhere with ease.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm all for doing away with quest markers and so on, but I do have a problem with overly large open worlds and how poorly they interact with the absence of such a system. Since Cyberpunk 2077 is supposedly even larger than Wild Hunt... you get the idea. I'm not looking forward to stumbling through an endless suburban landscape for hours wondering where the hell am I.

It comes down to the way the world is designed and how densely packed quality content is. Unless it's very well done, an unhelpful UI is just going to add salt to the wound.

I Hated quest makers in the witcher 3 but I think I would actually like them in Cyber punk 2077, and you might be surprised why.

But first though, Its worth mentioning that while we might hope CDPR do without those markers, producers don't feel the same way about their products as developers do about games or the way games feel about their experience. However, Breath of the wild the new Zelda game recently opened peoples eyes to the alternatives to quest markers, And it is highly regarded, so hopefully developers will stop using quest markers or trails, but the new Zelda game is not Dark Souls in its impact and success I don't think. For an alternative mechanic to be suggested it seems it first needs to prove that it has an audience. And some games do that without quest markers, but they are not necessarily seen to succeed because they don't have quest markers in a similar way to how Dark Souls succeeds because of its difficulty. There is also the problem of genera here.

Quest markers fundamentally change the way you look at space making it feel artificial and kills the surprise of exploration by establishing everything neatly for you with unrealistic omnipresence. And that is particularly bad in games set in before you have GPS as an existing technology in your game setting. So its more reasonable to see the absence of quest markers and an alternative used in games where it makes sense for the setting to use an alternative that isnt so immersion breaking. But in Cyberpunk 2077 the all knowing quest GPS can be adopted into lor as totally legitimate because of the existence of that technology in the setting. Because of this advanced technology we cant do away with quest markers entirely. People would have GPS they would have digital maps so the player should also have one and it would be unreasonable for them not to. This doesn't mean we have to accept quest markers as we know them though.

I think the solution mentioned by Hoplite_22 is good
Hoplite_22;n8471760 said:
quest markers don't really need to be in the world unless you set one on your GPS.
This is a good one. It preserves a separation between players, the space they navigate and the tools they navigate them with. It holds markers placed from being seemingly omnipresent, and in doing so preserves the surprise we might get from the experience of exploration in seeing something on a map become something real.

But there is also another alternative here that in my opinion is no only better but high concept

In that the omnipresent quest marker changes the way you look at space (making it feel artificial, unsurprising and unable to evoke a meaningful experience because of this unreal omnipresence) The quest maker specifically in the setting of CyberPunk 2077 depicted the relationship characters in that setting have with technology. This relationship is a key element and maybe a themes of the games story but more importantly it is a theme of cyberpunk in general.

Technology in Cyberpunk 2077 can make people go insane, this is something demonstrated in the teaser trailer. For people who have more cybernetic upgrades the chances of loosing it are higher. Quest markers in their extreme simulate this insanity in the inability to reconcile experience as real because of the empowerment of technology. It in effect demonstrates something that cyberpunk and sci-fi as a genera has always attempted to do, which is to represent how people might react to or be effected by to future technologies.

So there is a great opportunity for an incredible synergy between game mechanics and story. All you have to do is firstly have a base line of navigation assistance for the player maybe in the form of a GPS that you can place markers on based on information from the quest giver, and then you hide the omnipresent Quest markers we all hate behind an in game upgrade.

In that the player has to actually have installed a neural upgrade to have omnipresent quest markers, we have turned upgrades, the empowerment of technology, into something that legitimately creates a kind of solipsism or nihilism experienced by characters in the setting. And in that it might motivate characters in the setting to engage in a killing spree this "empowerment" might also motivate players for some of the same reasons to engage in a killing spree.

This also turns the decision not to get the upgrade into something more than just a choice about how you want to play the game. its an immersive choice about you and you as your character in the setting.

This is where you get what is called "Ludo Narrative" which some people might have heard of. Its when Game-play and story work in tandem rather than as opposing elements. And, the best part of this is that any cybernetic upgrade you get in the game can function in the same way. Where players are empowered they come to both desire more empowerment (as characters in the setting might appreciate cybernetics) and because of that empowerment slowly become more divorced from the appreciating or treating the experience as real or as immersive (just like characters in the setting might react to their empowerment).

CDPR have a chance to do something really interesting here, and it is something that is also also be dependent on how they allow players to gain access to new abilities. Whether that be in game by visiting a clinic or by interacting with something supper gamy like an upgrade tree which I think is a lazy approach. I look forward to seeing how CDPR handles things.

I think it would be cool to have a verbal description and then be able to search for the location on a device. So NPC says, x is near the old Pony factory on 9th street. You can then search for 9th street and get a general location on the map. Once you get there you have to look for the Pony factory. Or if they just give you a specific address you could get a marker there on your map.

It sounds fun to me. Though it might get tedious after awhile.

Last edited:
Rawls;n8506890 said:
It sounds fun to me. Though it might get tedious after awhile.
More tedious then following a line on the ground or an arrow on your map?

Gwydden;n8489390 said:
I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm all for doing away with quest markers and so on, but I do have a problem with overly large open worlds and how poorly they interact with the absence of such a system. Since Cyberpunk 2077 is supposedly even larger than Wild Hunt... you get the idea. I'm not looking forward to stumbling through an endless suburban landscape for hours wondering where the hell am I.
Cities have streets, which (or may not if someone ripped them down) have signs, buildings have numbers and sometimes names and/or signs. Even without that you can bring up a map on a portable puter or find a DataTerm, and if all else fails (and the devs programmed it) ask for directions.

It's not the same as the "trackless" wilderness in Witcher where a tree is much like every other tree and one rock is about the same as another.

Ok, it may not tell you which desk drawer to look in ... but most of us can manage that without a flashing marker.

Last edited:
Suhiira;n8506960 said:
Cities have streets, which (or may not if someone ripped them down) have signs, buildings have numbers and sometimes names and/or signs. Even without that you can bring up a map on a portable puter or find a DataTerm, and if all else fails (and the devs programmed it) ask for directions.

It's not the same as the "trackless" wilderness in Witcher where a tree is much like every other tree and one rock is about the same as another.

Ok, it may not tell you which desk drawer to look in ... but most of us can manage that without a flashing marker.

Oh, urban landscapes are certainly easier to navigate, especially modern ones. If it is difficult to find things in the middle of town it comes down to design issues, which are always a possibility. Hence my point.

What worries me most is any hypothetical wasteland areas or similar, anyway. And yes, for our purposes, the sameness of Suburbia also qualifies as a wasteland. God, how I loathe it :D

I also agree that exploring the interiors of rooms or even buildings is not bothersome. They are, after all, relatively small and self-contained areas.

Gwydden;n8515330 said:
What worries me most is any hypothetical wasteland areas or similar, anyway. And yes, for our purposes, the sameness of Suburbia also qualifies as a wasteland. God, how I loathe it :D
As well you SHOULD !
You're a city boy/girl ... a Cyberpunk! Not some wageslave Beaver.

Yep, finding stuff is the Combat Zone SHOULD be hard, after all it changes on an almost daily basis as gangs fight over territory. Places to live and do business are cobbled together, or destroyed. Maybe Trauma Team had to make an extraction and leveled half a block in the process. There are no maps, in fact getting directions from the locals may be near impossible. You have to go in and see for yourself ... and survive ...

Last edited:
Gwydden;n8515330 said:
I also agree that exploring the interiors of rooms or even buildings is not bothersome. They are, after all, relatively small and self-contained areas.

Yeah, I agree. There is the issue of how many rooms are allowed to be searched and what's to keep that searching interesting instead of heavyhanded chore.

Since there's million ways to design a game, I would actually like if with CP2077 CDPR went a bit in the direction of abstract. What I mean is that there need not be many uninteractable doors, but you don't need to be able to physically open then all either and go rummage the room. This could be abstracted in the same kind of way containers are, but with going a bit further with it by offering a window of options once you click on the door.

It might start with a normal [Locked] tag where you try to pick the lock. When you succeed you get the window with, say, the following options:

[Search flat Makes an Awareness/Notioce check and then informs if you found anything of interest. There'd be a chance for cops getting on to you via an alarm system or someone calling them.
[Vandalize flat] Makes a Strength Feat. check. Just for fun, or as a part of a mission; as you break stuff down you might find something you otherwise wouldn't have, or you might hurt yourself, police noticing would also be much higher, in which case you are in trouble. Doing so enough might also give you a certain kind of reputation.
[Sleep on the couch] Sleeping rejuvenates, but the owner of the house might arrive... with cops following not far behind.
[Dine from fridge] Self explanatory.
[Use toilet] Self explanatory.
[Hack the resident computer] Self explanatory.
.. plus.what ever little things might be feasible to have there. And with each, some behind the screen checks for various results. And all that with some flavor text at completion of the task. "Strength feat. fail - World is full of mysteries you will never know where they come from. Like how that television you through at the wall bounced back and hit you in the chest snapping a couple of ribs. You should seek for medical attention." "Strength feat. fail - Trying to leave a stinky hello in the toilet, constipation kicks in. You almost pop a vein pushing, but only manage an embarrasing dry fart. And now you feeld dizzy."

A little bit of abstract interactivity can convey tons more than a room where probably the only thing to interact with is a box in a corner that contains a few pennies.

This style could also be used to checking parked vehicles.

It'd certainly stand to differ from your normal sandbox game where 99% of everything is there just to be looked at. And since it's all text, there can be tons of it without huge extra costs.

Last edited:
As the other dude posted the video of mark brown, no more dotted line please!
It ruin everything

Last edited:
Lautreck;n8522950 said:
As the other dude posted the video of mark brown, no more dotted line please!
It ruin everything

Indeed... i would play more game that don't hold your hand and don't
makes you feel a degenerated ameba...

I played and finished morrowind and i loved every single part of it... is complicated at the beginning but indeed you feel rewarded in the end.. a true adventure....

I have yet to say the day where developers stop to pandering at lazy people and will engage true players willing to immerse in games...

Games are becoming dumber and dumber and started to feel less like Games.. but more like Toys...

I absolutely loved witcher 3 but even witcher 3 sadly been dumbed down a lot...

Potion preparation became just a unlock once....then use as you wish
Potions are just now short timed buffs...

And most important...

Eating during combat mechanics....

I mean really?

Top Bottom