[Suggestion Thread] Weather Rework.

+
[Suggestion Thread] Weather Rework.

I feel fairly confident in saying that the game mechanic that frustrates players the most intensely is weather.

A quick glance at reddit and some of the vitriol towards the recent first light changes would suggest as much. There will of course be players that will disagree with them, those that believe that dagon decks using 8+ instances of weather are fine, others that suggest that all decks should be running 3 first lights and 3 blizzard potions before they are allowed to complain about weather and those that just don't care either way - its a divisive topic.

Whilst I agree that being able to clear all instances of weather with one bronze card that doubled as a means to pull a random bronze was flawed game play, and that the changes to first light where desperately needed, unleashing weathers full potential has made the game far less enjoyable.

I believe that opinions regarding weather are so strong and divided because it has pushed the game further toward a rock paper scissors paradigm. Deck A (rock) can deal with weather but does so at a large cost in raw power that deck B (paper) has is spades but due to forgoing weather counters is completely shut down by deck C (Scissors) which utilises a lot of weather. I personally believe that Gwent should strive to avoid this sort of A beats B beats C as it would become a shallow boring game with results predetermined before a card is drawn. If Gwent is to avoid this the weather system itself would need to receive a fairly substantial change and I wish to propose a few suggestions on how it would be possible to do so.

Before I suggest how I believe weather should be changed I feel it necessary to highlight the reasons I believe weather effects would require change. Those that already recognise the problems weather effects are having on the game may wish to skip this chunk as it is only really criticisms of the current state of things.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

First of all availability. There are many ways for a player to possess a large number of weather effects without even needing to take the bronze weather cards. Woodland spirit, Caranthir, and water hag each provide an effect whilst still providing board value. Ragh Nar Roog and the various weather silvers provide even more access to weather effects whilst concentrating them in such a way that your deck has plenty of room for unit cards. You can apply 4 weather effects to each row from 3 gold and 4 silver cards (Ragh, Caranthir, Woodland Spirit, Merrigolds, White Frost & Skellige Storm)

What this means is you can rather easily apply more instances of weather to a single row than can ever be cleared with first light which brings me to my second point - counters.

First light has been used as a thinning mechanism for various decks, most notably Scoia'Tael, those that still run FL for thinning are seriously lacking in any means to deal with weather. Now that first light only applies to a single row, stacking a single row has become very popular (Swims dwarf deck for example). Alternatively playing primarily on one row per round (Radovid deck), or playing weather itself seem to be the only effective option to climb past the weather saturated dagon decks. (2-3k elo is currently full of Dagon decks with 8+ weather applications). The consume monsters deck is perhaps the only exception though it runs at least 1 FL + Archgriffin and dagon, on top of that it runs a Kayran which combined makes the deck fairly weather immune.

The Blizzard potion doesn't really work well. Whilst you could invest in these to counter weather its sub-optimal. Ironically the decks these cards boost the most is the weather users themselves. You could run them in a deck susceptible to weather but lose a lot of power in match ups against decks that lack weather. If you are a weather player however, these potions are practically guaranteed to benefit you every single game you play as you can counter the very few weather immune units non monster players hold.

This brings me to the last problem with weather I mean to highlight - tempo. For a bronze card you would be very hard pressed to find something that can swing points as suddenly as a weather effect and the few examples that exist are no where near as consistent. The threat weather has created makes it very difficult for players to make the decision to pass even when holding a huge point lead. Regardless of whether or not either player actually holds a weather effect, the potential of a massive power swing pressures both players to keep playing till the other backs down. You could easily be 40 points up in value on your opponent, pass feeling secure and lose all those points in a single bronze card. This I feel is part of the reason the dwarf decks are doing so well right now, their opponents are hesitant to pass due to weather whilst they are happy to play on buffing their resilience laden dwarfs.

This is all before factoring in combos like ragh + epidemic wiping boards.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Obviously removing weather from the game is not an option and reverting first light would be a massive step backward. Adding more counters to weather would help in a weather vs non weather match up but would only weaken the decks that run said counters when facing pure strength value style decks. This would just promote the rock, paper, scissors paradigm I mentioned earlier which I believe to be terrible game balance. I feel therefore that the effect a weather card applies should be changed, and propose the following suggestions:-

1. Have weather remove a set amount of base strength to all units on the row lacking weather immunity/gold status. This would have the positive effect of lowering the instant swing a weather card produces but at the cost of reducing the system down into a glorified lacerate, on top of that first light would become redundant.

2. Have weather remove a set amount of strength each turn to all applicable units on the row until the effect is removed. Similar to how Yennefer: the conjurer functions, all units on a row affected by weather would be dealt damage (for example 2 damage) each turn for as long as the weather effect remains. The benefit of this change is that players with significant point leads could pass knowing that if a weather effect is applied the hypothetical trio of Blue stripe commandos buffed up to 15 strength a piece with a thunderbolt pot won't be reduced to 3 measly points in a single biting frost card should said hypothetical NR player pass. Weather effects themselves would still remain very powerful and enjoyable to use, first light would remove the weather effect but not restore the damage dealt. Ice Giant and Sarah may need to be tweaked. A 1:1 card exchange becomes an even exchange, the silver and gold weather cards would not be completely countered by a single bronze. This is what I believe to be the best direction.

3. Introduce a limit to the number of weather effects that can be played per game/round. This would only inhibit the weather spam decks. I've seen this suggested but felt that it didn't really tackle the real problem that weather has caused.

That's all the ideas I have been able to conjure perhaps someone else has other suggestions to add?

To those that read this in its entirety Thank you for taking the time!

I like idea that someone suggest day or two ago. When units is affected by whether and then cleared it can no longer be affected by same type of whether that round or X turns.then single light when played in critical moment can be enough and whether played at bad time can have same effect.

I just don't like idea of whether removing strength but then units don't get strength back which means we again have those huge swings by spamming it.

Some time ago I have suggested that cards which are affected by a weather type should remember that and re-application of the same weather would not effect them. The idea is that if the game remembers the buffs before the weather is applied it should also remember cards which are already affected by weather.

Basically a unit which is affected by a certain weather gets "Affected: Weather Type" status and becomes immune to same type of weather application.

Related thread: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forum...ffected-status

It is monsters that need a rework. They are so OP right now I mean just look at the 90% of people playing them. It wouldn't take much to bring them back into balance but I think they need a rework not just weather.

I played a game yesterday against an Eredin deck which started off looking like a big buff deck. Late into the 1st round he had a buffed Eredin and a few small creatures, and I was building up my plan and had a lot of units spread around. Then he drops Ragh and then Epidemic which wiped all but one of my units off the board. Absolutely killed me.

Although naturally salty about it - I gotta give him credit - I had no idea he was a weather monster until then. He hid it well.

Redcoat2012;n7801910 said:
The threat weather has created makes it very difficult for players to make the decision to pass even when holding a huge point lead. Regardless of whether or not either player actually holds a weather effect, the potential of a massive power swing pressures both players to keep playing till the other backs down. You could easily be 40 points up in value on your opponent, pass feeling secure and lose all those points in a single bronze card.

Adding one turn timer (for the effect to apply) to weather would both solve this problem in an instant and actually be kinda intuitive (a bit of rain doesn't make warriors useless, but prolonged adverse conditions do).

Overall thank you for this well thought out and well written post. I do think that weather needs some kind of fundamental rethinking, or it will be a constant balancing pain in the ass for designers due to how swingy it is inherently. Personally I liked the idea of weather halving the strength instead of reducing it 1, so combo decks can try to brute force trough it, as a sort of soft counter.
But adding even a one turn counter would imo solve a lot of problem of whether as two-turns-major-swing is much less unbalancing than 1 turn major swing.

The first time I won by keeping RNR as my last card felt great. But every next one felt cheap.

Last edited:
Good ideas..

my personal thoughts are just make a few cards (units) in each faction immune to weather ..

it's an easier fix than trying to redo the entire weather mechanic or having to run 3 FL and 3 blizz

that way each faction could have a unit set that can still remain viable either way..

like Sk already has Pirates immune to fog
ships immune to water.
NR can go in all gold

ST and NG might be the only faction that would need a weather immune type unit?

in order to change weather, there would have to be reworks on all the weather-based creatures... that, i can agree with. but just changing the weather mechanics and letting the creatures stay the same wouldn't work very well IMO.

on another note, i support the idea of weather causing period damage as long as that strength isn't recovered by clear skies... IE, if it damaged the base strength of the unit (optional - reset base strength when moved to graveyard)

Jeckel;n7802300 said:
It is monsters that need a rework. They are so OP right now I mean just look at the 90% of people playing them

there are decks that crap on monsters (both archetypes) but those usually require a few specific legendaries, which most people don't have.
monster decks are very cheap to build, even consume decks don't require legendaries to be powerful (although they are a great addition)

i personally play a consume deck because it's incredibly fun... after two months playing control decks, it's great to be able to just dump stuff on the board and watch the numbers go higher.

Last edited:
Ugralitan;n7802240 said:
Some time ago I have suggested that cards which are affected by a weather type should remember that and re-application of the same weather would not effect them. The idea is that if the game remembers the buffs before the weather is applied it should also remember cards which are already affected by weather.

Basically a unit which is affected by a certain weather gets "Affected: Weather Type" status and becomes immune to same type of weather application.

Related thread: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forum...ffected-status

I took a look at your suggestion, the problem I see with it ties into the problem FL used to create, 1 bronze card would shut down all weather. The outcome would be similar to what we are seeing with the dwarf deck, stack one row and remove weather once and you need never worry about it, still its better than the current.

Jeckel;n7802300 said:
It is monsters that need a rework. They are so OP right now I mean just look at the 90% of people playing them. It wouldn't take much to bring them back into balance but I think they need a rework not just weather.

Some units may need addressing but I don't agree that monsters on the whole are bullshit, their passive is a fairly weak version of a bronze card (adrenaline rush).

TheShift;n7807130 said:
Good ideas..

my personal thoughts are just make a few cards (units) in each faction immune to weather ..

it's an easier fix than trying to redo the entire weather mechanic or having to run 3 FL and 3 blizz

that way each faction could have a unit set that can still remain viable either way..

like Sk already has Pirates immune to fog
ships immune to water.
NR can go in all gold

ST and NG might be the only faction that would need a weather immune type unit?

This is more or less the case currently, the problem I see arising with adding more weather immune cards is that these will become the only viable cards. ST have those Dwarves that buff strength and NG has those alba spearmen. I feel that this approach plays into that rock paper scissors scenario, you take these and beat weather but get beaten by raw strength decks opting to forsake weather counters, some people want to push the game to be more like this but I disagree.

RickMelethron;n7807320 said:
in order to change weather, there would have to be reworks on all the weather-based creatures... that, i can agree with. but just changing the weather mechanics and letting the creatures stay the same wouldn't work very well IMO.

on another note, i support the idea of weather causing period damage as long as that strength isn't recovered by clear skies... IE, if it damaged the base strength of the unit (optional - reset base strength when moved to graveyard)

Some units with weather effects would need retweaking, Ice giant for example, would it receive + strength per turn the weather effect exists? Drowners would likely need to have a stronger base strength, foglets would likely need to be reconsidered. This wouldn't be that hard to do. To clarify if weather removed strength each turn (as in the second suggestion) it would not be base strength. It affecting base strength would punish resurrection/graveyard style factions far more heavily than seems reasonable. That being said if you removed the weather it wouldn't restore the unit back to its pre weather condition.

So as an example, if you had a row with 6 units - 2x2 strength 2x4 strength and 2x15 strength units, no weather immune units. The opposing player drops a weather effect on the row, without any means to remove it you play a Thaler (or other mentor) to fish for a weather effect, you get the first light in hand and await the next turn, the weather deals 2 strength to the row (this figure would need to be found through testing and tweaking, I believe 2 damage a turn would be high enough but its just an example). The 2 strength units are killed and the rest drop to 2x4 and 2x13 strength, the opponent plays a card and you then play first light, this removes the weather effect but leaves the units at 4 and 13 strength it does nothing to restore any damage the effect created and doesn't resurrect the dead cards.

RickMelethron;n7807320 said:
[...]

This^

I'm by no means an expirienced player (lvl18 r7) but I got to say that my monsters aren't strong if you look at them on paper (at least the bronze).For example the wild hunt warrior brings 7 STR to the board, but only under the right condition while other cards like the balista bring 8 streng to the board just by playing and picking a target. Ancient foglets and foglets themselfes are only effective in weather and I had more than enough games where I didn't draw any weather card (including gold monsters) and even more where I only had a single weather card.

As the OP stated do the players either think: meh, weather fine, or: omg hax he just pulled 8 weathers in two rounds!!1

The problem with weather is that it is too powerful if you have card advantage and you play it as last card, but also it is useless if you don't spam it becouse it becomes an on/off feature.

You only want to play weather in a weather deck, becouse with other decks it becomes useless.

To fix that I think the best solution is a combination of your points 1 and 2 with some nuances.

1 - Weather should remove strenght. Let's say 2-3 strenght, but it shouldn't remove units, so if a unit has 1 strenght it is not afected. With this point If you have a huge point lead you can pass with no fear becouse your power can't be reduced to ashes with only one bronze card, and also you don't feel forced to play a first light after weather fearing your units can get removed becouse they are at 1 strenght.

2 - While weather is active, it removes strenght every turn (1-2 strenght for example) until the effect is removed.

If you replay weather on a row that it's already affected with weather, it removes strenght as in the first point but the turn effect don't add up. With this weather players get some value from replaying weather (now they don't get any value unless their opponent buffs a unit

3 - Clear Skyes should restore strenght by 2 (if the weather effect removes 3 strenght), but only to those units that have lost 2 points or more by weather, so if a unit has a 2 base strenght and it is reduced to 1 by weather, it doesn't get buffed with clear skyes.

With this changes I think both, weather and non weather players will feel confortable with weather, since it will not feel as an on/off feature where both players suffer from huge power swing, and even non weather decks could benefit from playing a weather card if they have less units on the row than the enemy.

Last edited:
Redcoat2012;n7809140 said:
Some units with weather effects would need retweaking, Ice giant for example, would it receive + strength per turn the weather effect exists? Drowners would likely need to have a stronger base strength, foglets would likely need to be reconsidered. This wouldn't be that hard to do.

it wouldn't be that easy, otherwise you just end up with a deck of 8-strength bronze creatures with no effects...

Redcoat2012;n7809140 said:
I believe 2 damage a turn would be high enough but its just an example)

that would fall flat on its face pretty quickly... the point of weather is to counter decks that buff creatures to high numbers. if weather were to just deal 2 damage a turn, people could easily play a single unit and buff it up. the whole point of weather decks is that they exchange power and removal for weather cards, which are powerful counters to high numbers; if you remove that aspect, there is no point in playing weather cards to begin with. especially given that weather would have to sit on the board for several turns to make a difference, and wouldn't do as much harm to creatures played later in the round...

as my mother-in-law always says: if you think something is simple, you probably missed a lot of things.

Aelardus;n7809220 said:
This^

I'm by no means an expirienced player (lvl18 r7) but I got to say that my monsters aren't strong if you look at them on paper (at least the bronze).For example the wild hunt warrior brings 7 STR to the board, but only under the right condition while other cards like the balista bring 8 streng to the board just by playing and picking a target. Ancient foglets and foglets themselfes are only effective in weather and I had more than enough games where I didn't draw any weather card (including gold monsters) and even more where I only had a single weather card.

As the OP stated do the players either think: meh, weather fine, or: omg hax he just pulled 8 weathers in two rounds!!1

Those Wildhunt warriors deal one damage regardless they are 6-8 strength not up to 7, they are also weather immune, other weather immune bronze cards are flat 7 strength usually (dun banner light cav), you trade 1 strength for the potential to gain 2 in ideal situations, they are okay at present. Foglets still work as a form of deck thinning, I do feel however that they would likely need to be readdressed if weather was changed..

Instaxes;n7809280 said:
The problem with weather is that it is too powerful if you have card advantage and you play it as last card, but also it is useless if you don't spam it becouse it becomes an on/off feature.

You only want to play weather in a weather deck, becouse with other decks it becomes useless.

To fix that I think the best solution is a combination of your points 1 and 2 with some nuances.

1 - Weather should remove strenght. Let's say 2-3 strenght, but it shouldn't remove units, so if a unit has 1 strenght it is not afected. With this point If you have a huge point lead you can pass with no fear becouse your power can't be reduced to ashes with only one bronze card, and also you don't feel forced to play a first light after weather fearing your units can get removed becouse they are at 1 strenght.

2 - While weather is active, it removes strenght every turn (1-2 strenght for example) until the effect is removed.

If you replay weather on a row that it's already affected with weather, it removes strenght as in the first point but the turn effect don't add up. With this weather players get some value from replaying weather (now they don't get any value unless their opponent buffs a unit

3 - Clear Skyes should restore strenght by 2 (if the weather effect removes 3 strenght), but only to those units that have lost 2 points or more by weather, so if a unit has a 2 base strenght and it is reduced to 1 by weather, it doesn't get buffed with clear skyes.

With this changes I think both, weather and non weather players will feel confortable with weather, since it will not feel as an on/off feature where both players suffer from huge power swing, and even non weather decks could benefit from playing a weather card if they have less units on the row than the enemy.

I did consider the whole "reapplication of weather" nuances and decided that it was probably not necessary to give players spamming weather cards an extra incentive, you don't gain a buff when using D shackles/bombs on units that aren't wounded/buffed, I don't see why applying a second instance of weather to rows already under its effect needs to be any different. as for your 3rd point it kinda just needlessly complicates the system. I also felt that if weathers was dealing 1-3 damage a row then it should kill units to compensate from its loss in immediate power swing.

RickMelethron;n7810110 said:
it wouldn't be that easy, otherwise you just end up with a deck of 8-strength bronze creatures with no effects...

that would fall flat on its face pretty quickly... the point of weather is to counter decks that buff creatures to high numbers. if weather were to just deal 2 damage a turn, people could easily play a single unit and buff it up. the whole point of weather decks is that they exchange power and removal for weather cards, which are powerful counters to high numbers; if you remove that aspect, there is no point in playing weather cards to begin with. especially given that weather would have to sit on the board for several turns to make a difference, and wouldn't do as much harm to creatures played later in the round...

as my mother-in-law always says: if you think something is simple, you probably missed a lot of things.

Why exactly do you think the game would end up with decks full of 8 strength units?

As for weather as a counter to buffing decks, I disagree. First of all because first light restores the buffed strength, on top of that decks with row buffing or even swallow pots often fair better against weather decks, units like hawker healers/skalds can get a hypothetical row of say 5 1 strength units up to 3 strength a piece whilst under the effects of the weather, this works far better than playing another unit card into the weather, the whole weather as a counter to buff deck doesn't really hold true any more like it did in the last patch.

You say that these changes would result in no point in playing weather cards, then explain then to me why Yen:con is so popular? These proposed changes for weather would be stronger in a lot of cases. As for numbers a bronze card = 8 strength so if it were 2 strength per turn it would only require 4 units hit one time to break even, should they play a first light its a 1 for 1 bronze card exchange with no points gained or lost either side, that is balanced, those numbers are not solid either, they can be tweaked accordingly.

My father always taught me that "if what you're doing doesn't seem simple to you then it was probably something meant to be done by someone else."

Redcoat2012;n7810900 said:
Why exactly do you think the game would end up with decks full of 8 strength units?

you said yourself that all you had to do was tweak their strength... given that most of their abilitites would be useless (see wild hunt warrior) that is what would end up happening.

As for weather as a counter to buffing decks, I disagree. First of all because first light restores the buffed strength

since two weeks ago*

the whole weather as a counter to buff deck doesn't really hold true any more like it did in the last patch.

lets test this theory: play against a weather deck and have a buffed roll to 50+ strength, then pass before your opponent. let's see what happens...

then explain then to me why Yen:con is so popular?

she can't be removed from the board with a single bronze card; and has ridiculous synergy with axemen.

My father always taught me that "if what you're doing doesn't seem simple to you then it was probably something meant to be done by someone else."

i'll go on a wild guess and say your father is neither a game developer nor a theoretical physicist..

This brings me to the last problem with weather I mean to highlight - tempo. For a bronze card you would be very hard pressed to find something that can swing points as suddenly as a weather effect and the few examples that exist are no where near as consistent. The threat weather has created makes it very difficult for players to make the decision to pass even when holding a huge point lead.

^ This is the biggest flaw of the weather mechanism. There is no way to play around it. Once you lose CA and the opponent is holding an Aeromancy (in the last round), you are pretty much screwed unless you have some form of protection.

That's why I also made a suggestion to merge Quen with Clear Skies. In light of the recent changes, I want to alter my suggestion to the following: Clear Skies should also be turned into a weather effect. It does one of two things, depending on the situation:
- Removes other existing weather effects from the row (which it already does now).
- It protects the row from one other weather effect, so you can pre-emptively play it and pass; breaking the last card table-turners, like Aeromancy and Ragnarok.

Have weather remove a set amount of strength each turn to all applicable units on the row until the effect is removed.

The only downside to this is that you want to play weather effects ASAP, once you know which row is important. This also limits the tactics you can employ.

Also related, my in-depth look pre-patch.

How about if
- weather would be on a sort of a counter. it would immediately halve units strength, and then reduce them to 1 after one turn.
- to compensate Clear Skies would also have 1 turn delay.

This I think would make use of both weather and FL more strategically interesting decision instead of "usually as late as possible".

I truly feel that some kind of delay would be the best fix for weather volatility. When you think about it.... doesn't it seem wierd that Ithlinne's lock is appereantly so powerful that it needs a one turn timer, yet a bronze Rain is allowed to wreak your force to nothing in an instant?

Last edited:
Would it be insane if they would make weather a buff to some units not in monsters deck. So like with SK their siege ships work better in rain or ST their archers/ranged unit work better in fog as it mean they could ambush easier or NR troops work well in the cold as they used to colder climates. I'm not saying use these examples but a system that would make weather decks think about pros and cons.
(also the examples are an attempt to remain lore friendly in some ways)

Or another possibility is that some units remove weather effects on their side only like how monsters have the archgriffen.

I have another suggestion: make dimerite bomb, shackles and that kind of debuffing cards remove weather inmunity. Haven't thought about it much but it seems an ok solution for now.

What a crappy problem to try and fix. Just a throwaway comment. If it's the third fog I've been hit with and I've had to clear the first two, my units should only be losing 1 power each. I've paid my dues.

Top Bottom