Strong attack damage bugged?

+
Strong attack damage bugged?

Hello,

I'm trying to work out what's going on with Strong attack damage. I've currently level 2 on Death March and have the starting weapons.

I have no skills equipped that increases strong or fast attack. I have no other sources of buffs active.

If I hit a ghoul with a fast attack it does what the character sheet says and average of around 89.

If I use a strong attack it does something like 108. The character sheet says it should be more like 163.

Looking in the scripts it does appear that the multiplier from fast to strong attack should be 1.833 so why am I seeing something so much different in actual combat?

Is your sword damaged? It will lose base strength as it drops below 70%. Also, if you used a grindstone right before checking the strength last time, you may have looked at the limited-time "sharpened" damage.

Just guessing for now. Using any mods?

Thanks for your response. In answer to your questions.

The sword was damaged a very small amount. However I don't believe this should have been responsible for the the difference between Strong attack damage on my stat sheet and in reality. I didn't have any grindstone bonuses.

After doing a bit more digging I found in one of the script files there's a line that goes something like:

if (heavyattack)
{
damage = damage * 1.833
}

But then also in geralt_skills.xml (found if you use the modkit) the Strong attack skill has a 1.333 multiplier. This 1.333 multiplier fits with the damage I'm seeing actually in game. So I'm going to put it down to a mismatch between what the game displays in the stat sheet and what it actually uses to calculate the damage.

It is...possible...and I'm no expert on these things. If this is a vanilla game (no mods), I would find it slightly odd for such a mistake to still exist at such a base level of functionality. There are a number of other variables that play into the "final" damage value (skills, NPC resistances, steel vs. silver vs. enemy type, etc., etc., etc.).

I'm moving this to Mod Discussions, as someone there will likely have an answer for you more quickly.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd bet on the stats screen being wrong. What I do know is that there is no way strong attacks are supposed to do 83% more damage than fast attacks.

There are lots of little bugs like this in the game. For example, the Magic Trap skill is supposed to increase alternate Yrden's damage by 25% at ranks 2 and 3. Alternate Yrden's base damage is 120 and Magic Trap ranks 2 and 3 only increase its damage by 5. Obviously that is well short of a 25% increase so either the bonus damage should be increased to 30 or they should update the skill's description to be accurate. It has been like this since launch and it has never been fixed for some reason. It amazes me how CD Projekt Red made such a masterpiece of a game but also made silly mistakes like this that never get fixed.

OK. Now that I'm done, I realize it took me a long time to try to make a simple point. LOL

The xml is the correct damage multiplier, the 1.833 you see in the ws file is just for the stat screen afaik. Yes, it is weird, but usually the stats in this game are slightly misleading to straight up wrong in some cases. Edit the xml multi until it fits the character sheet, or the other way around.

Top Bottom