Game became darker after cutscene.

+
Game became darker after cutscene.

My game became darker and become harder to see, It can be clearly observed after the cutscene. Here is an example of what happen. The second screenshot takes a few second after the first one. http://imgur.com/a/U9kuI

20170417192145_1.jpg
20170417192222_1.jpg

As you can see from 2 of my screenshots, the problem is the light became way darker after the cutscene end. I want my game to look like the first picture but my game always looks like the second one. I'm not sure if it's intended or it's a bug, pls help.

ps. I have no graphic mod on. Game is goty version (1.31). Pc spec is i5-4690k and gtx970.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forums, masters_xx!

(Hm. Your image is not appearing.)

From the sound of it, that's not what's intended. Did you happen to Alt-Tab out of the game at any point?

SigilFey;n8390720 said:
Welcome to the Forums, masters_xx!

(Hm. Your image is not appearing.)

From the sound of it, that's not what's intended. Did you happen to Alt-Tab out of the game at any point?

Hi, I have attatch the picture in case you can't see the picture in my imgur link. I have not alt-tab at all and play on full screen.

(Those show! :))

Odd. Seems like the game's overall ambient lighting decreased. Did you check your settings to ensure the brightness is where it used to be?

SigilFey;n8390900 said:
(Those show! :))

Odd. Seems like the game's overall ambient lighting decreased. Did you check your settings to ensure the brightness is where it used to be?

Also, are you playing Fullscreen or Windowed / Borderless?

The setting is the same and I play on full screen. I reload the save and the light alway fade off to darkness after the cutscene end.

Your comment about playing Fullscreen registered just after posting: sorry. What time of day is it when you completed the quest. It's possible that night fell, but it does seem to be noticeably darker. Have you tried exiting the game completely, then reloading that save?

If that still doesn't clear it up, try the following:

1.) Remove any and all mods.

2.) Delete everything in the folder containing your user.settings file (EXCEPT the gamesaves folder -- KEEP that). then run a verify / repair through Steam / GOG / Origin. (It's usually in ...Documents\The Witcher 3\...)

Post back with any results!

I try meditate untill midday and midnight, it still look the same. I have exit the game,restart pc and reload many time. I have already remove all mod and verify intregity on steam. Screen always fade to dark after the cutscene end.

Anyway, I continue playing and I don't encounter this problem in my next cutscene at other place.

I think I know the problem in my case. It looks like the cutscene use different lighting parameter which is brighter than the gameplay. When the cutscene end it fade to "normal" lightning which is quite dark. It's pretty extream in my case since after the cutscene end it's raining on around midnight.

Well, yes and no. Yes, the game uses an alternate lighting mode with higher gamma settings and different ambient lights per shot...but the gameplay gamma should not be affected by it in any way. It clearly is (darker) in your pics above. The only thing I can think of is that the interior lighting levels are altered by completing the quest. This can happen accidentally sometimes if anything in that interior cell needs to be changed (like static meshes being added removed or moved, requiring a whole new set of interior data). Not quite sure how this works in TW3's engine.

There is definitely a noticeable difference between normal environment lighting and cutscene lighting in the game, cutscenes being lighter/ more illuminated, with superior ambient lighting. This is more noticeable in indoors areas or any darker areas where cutscenes occur. You will notice that when a cutscene ends, the lighting adjusts and becomes darker as it returns to the normal game lighting.

Personally, I think cutscene lighting in relation to normal environment lighting was implemented poorly in the game.
This can be illustrated very clearly by using mods that either removes cutscene lighting, or changes environment lighting to use cutscene lighting. There is a very noticeable difference especially when using the mod that removes cutscene lighting.

I don't know why they chose to do it this way, but what you are experiencing is by design, however undesirable it may be.

It was a design decision, similar to the way certain shots in any film are re-lit to ensure that there are no awkward shadows on actors' faces, for example. The warm wash that accompanies many of the scenes is simply that -- an ambient wash, a "candlelight" in this case. (Can't light a shot with "no color". ;))

Once you notice the golden hue during cutscenes and how it returns to a starker, whiter lighting afterward, it's hard to unsee it, I agree. Still, it's a very typical technique in most video game cinematics, though I think a grey wash is most common...unsaturating the overall image and making it harder to detect.

The only other option, perhaps, would be to dynamically wash each shot with whatever the environmental lighting happened to be at that moment. I imagine that would produce some...interesting...results at times.

Top Bottom