A Living, Breathing NIGHT CITY

+
A Living, Breathing NIGHT CITY

Seeing as how this is set to be an open world sandbox game, one of the most important facets that will define this game is going to be its open world environment.

Faithful fans and newcomers alike; what do you think Night City should be like, how can the developers ground us in the setting and immerse us in the reality of Cyberpunk 2077?

:cool:

I would like to see the story being told through both cinematic and the environment itself. The city needs to be its own character in a sense. Don’t let the player shape it, but have it shape the player the city should as well tell the player bit and piece of side stories. The best example I can think of is Metroid prime 2 echoes the dead bodies you could scan for information nothing relevant for the main story line but it helped flesh out the story and the world overall something that stand out from fallout 3 are the man who took shelter with his family in the drainage pipe near Canterbury commons the hotel room in point look out with the dead bank robbers or the miners who got crush from a cave in under the school the point is that adding these little detail can really improve a games environment overall and make it feel like a living breathing entity which helps the overall story

I would like to see the story being told through both cinematic and the environment itself. The city needs to be its own character in a sense. Don’t let the player shape it, but have it shape the player the city should as well tell the player bit and piece of side stories. The best example I can think of is Metroid prime 2 echoes the dead bodies you could scan for information nothing relevant for the main story line but it helped flesh out the story and the world overall something that stand out from fallout 3 are the man who took shelter with his family in the drainage pipe near Canterbury commons the hotel room in point look out with the dead bank robbers or the miners who got crush from a cave in under the school the point is that adding these little detail can really improve a games environment overall and make it feel like a living breathing entity which helps the overall story

Couldn't agree more. I've got to say that some of my most interested moments in any game is when I got a piece of the story from the environment, something that you have to look for, that isn't just given to you, just like in MP2: Echoes (Great Game).

I'd like to see and feel that I'm just another character in the city, that the city doesn't exist simply as a setting for my story to take place in. By this I mean I want to see other things going on that isn't related to me or what I'm doing at all, or that doesn't really affect my story i.e. Cops chasing some junkies down the street, some poor guy getting beat up in an alleyway, random gang wars breaking out in their appropriate zones. Really, it'd make this game great.

......I hope CDPR are reading the posts on this forum, these are some damn good ideas.

The world should not focus only on you (Just because you're there),your character is just one piece in a abyss full of other pieces that could possibly have an impact upon that small piece of someones existence in either a negative (Say you saved a little girl or stopped a crime or set someone up) inside .The realm of night city, should be a strange, dangerous, shadowy place filled with mysterious and dramatic scales of npc personalities and moods, then maybe you can make a decision. On whether to avoid or make them a contact/ friend ( they should be able to evolve as well and because you never no who you meant make contact with) and everything else in night city should be like discovering a new continent something, sense with that anything one does could either help or hurt history and other times not matter at all. I think you're character should not be the center of attention unless you make it so and that's not a small task either, the world of cyberpunk should be an ever evolving place with or without you.

nothing should be static just because you didn't do anything (Maybe an npc fixed their problem themselves)

you as a character should just be another person in that world...which may or may not do something worth well along the way.

In my opinion, Night City should be dark and gritty, with the only areas of light in the downtown, busy sections of the City. Everywhere else should be like the slums, messed up and gone to hell, where you have to watch your back in fear of getting mugged.

Like there should be two zones:

Downtown

Slums - Apartment Areas

In my opinion, Night City should be dark and gritty, with the only areas of light in the downtown, busy sections of the City. Everywhere else should be like the slums, messed up and gone to hell, where you have to watch your back in fear of getting mugged.

Downtown

Slums - Apartment Areas

It should be that and a whole lot more, they need to find a sweet spot between not being to cartoony and not being to serious.When creating the world itself an that degree of mood and atmosphere should flux from time to time and there needs to be a progressive weather system in-game to help that feel (Though not just rain. the sounds of the night as well ,ambient noises, screams,wind, fog, lighting...etc)

Downtown

Slums - Apartment Areas

Actually, to my knowledge, there are three zones. The Combat Zone, a zone that was utterly abandoned by the police and all forms of governing, who follows no rules but the ones set by the gangs that have taken over. These are the slums.

Then there is a standard like zone whose name escapes me at the moment. This zone is full of the people that work for the major corporations that run the world of CyberPunk. Though these people are mostly destitute, there is still law enforcement and order in this zone. I'm assuming that this is the zone showcased in the Teaser Trailer.

Finally there is the Corporate Zone full of the hotshots CEO's and managers of the corporations that have taken over. I guess this would be the downtown zone. Not sure if there is much danger here, I mean there has to be but not like in the other zones.

"I love this place. On the other hand, I've also been accused of being a masochist."

-Johnny Silverhand

"Nobody ever leaves Night City. Except in a body bag."

-Bes Isis (NC reporter)

"The City of the Fallen Angels. Not to mention the Legion, the Chromers, the Gilligans, The Inquisitors..."

-Lt. Strawberry Morressey NCPD

"Night City....Ahwoooo!"

-Unknown.

All Things Dark & Cyberpunk, Page 215, Cyberpunk 2020.

Most parts of the city need to have a claustrophobic feel, somewhere between desperation, hope, rage and apathy. The world does not exist for you and you don't exist for the world...you just happen to have coincided within the same time in the same place. This is not your town, you don't live in it, you are merely permitted to exist within it...temporally....
NPCs have their own lives to worry about and will not wait for you to sort their problems...in fact, they don't really appreciate random good-doers sticking their noses where they don't belong. Save a woman from muggers? that will only have the whole gang rape and kill her entire family two days later...
Everything you do has consequences as has everything you don't do. Nothing waits for you to just show up and save or ruin the day....as far as the world is concerned, you might as well not even exist..there are many other folks who litter the streets....live goes on, one death a a time......live or die, who cares...just don't complain later....

Actually, to my knowledge, there are three zones. The Combat Zone, a zone that was utterly abandoned by the police and all forms of governing, who follows no rules but the ones set by the gangs that have taken over. These are the slums.

Then there is a standard like zone whose name escapes me at the moment. This zone is full of the people that work for the major corporations that run the world of CyberPunk. Though these people are mostly destitute, there is still law enforcement and order in this zone. I'm assuming that this is the zone showcased in the Teaser Trailer.

Finally there is the Corporate Zone full of the hotshots CEO's and managers of the corporations that have taken over. I guess this would be the downtown zone. Not sure if there is much danger here, I mean there has to be but not like in the other zones.

There aactually many many districts i Night City...

This is the map from the Night City Sourcebook, one of the most detailed indepth rpg sourcebooks of its kind for any rpg.

That's only the upper half of the map presented in the core rule book, which any way you look at it, is a small section of city. And even in the above map, there is Corporate Plaza, a City Center, a Little Italy, a Japan Town, A China Town, a University District, shopping areas, Warehouse areas,a stadium, a large park,. Do you know what doesn't appear anywhere on this map? The Combat Zone. None of the areas on this map are actually slums... some are better than others, others are worse... but nothing is the combat zone.

And like I said, this is just a small section of the city.... and certainly doesn't take into account the suburbs and outlying areas.... nor does it take into account the areas outside the core city.such.

Even my own ridiculously sized map of Night City, made by cutting and pasting together bits of cities from all over the US, only covers the city proper, and doesn't cover the the industrial section to the south, the upper class suburbs on the other side of the bay, or the Nomad Market to the west. (Granted my map isn't canon by any means, but it shows the scope and size of the city.... not that I in any way believe CDPR, or any game company would be able to pull off something that size).

On my map, the darker area in the upper right hand corner is the german version of the same night city map that is present in the core books. Just to give a sense of scale to everything.

I want a world that reacts to your actions accordingly,not some braindead NPCs that keep spitting out the same lame lines over and over again(see Bethesda games).

Daaamn, Wiz.....that's a pretty detailed map though...... :D Badass!

Oh and, there are games where a map can take multiple cities, such as the classic Operation Flashpoint, and it's new installment: Arma 2.

Daaamn, Wiz.....that's a pretty detailed map though...... :D Badass!

Oh and, there are games where a map can take multiple cities, such as the classic Operation Flashpoint, and it's new installment: Arma 2.

Thanks... took a bit of work... eventually all those red boxes in the map will have their own detaild sourcebooks... as it stands the only one I have so far is the combat zone... figured to get the biggest pain in the butt out of the way first.

Wow that's HUGE!! Must have taken ages to get that together. While I could never see the game world being that big it does sound as if CD Projekt are being incredibly ambitious with this game saying that they want it to be a true sandbox with almost no restrictions on where the player can go. I would rather they focused on a smaller but more dense area with lots to do and see and lots of NPCs to interact with.

Which is funny considering that the Night city sourcebook made the combat zone the smallest selection with brief description and random tables.

Which is funny considering that the Night city sourcebook made the combat zone the smallest selection with brief description and random tables.

I meant big as in the amount gangs, locations, and NPC's I wanted to fill it with...

I think the resoning behind R.Tal never giving much detail to the combat zone was that they wanted players to be able to define it for themselves. Size, scale, exactly what it was...

My players are more demaninding, and my OCD gets in the way.

There is another map out there, hand drawn, by Eric Bergbauer, that has a much larger combat zone than my map. On my map the combat zone is cofined to a rectangular area in the center of the map... his took up pretty much the entire bottom half of the map.It was a difference in ideology really...

Also, I remember somewhere reading that the combat zone was supposedly impossible to map, due to the conflicts and damage of the area... but in the age of Google Earth and GPS, really nothing that can be seen from above is impossible to map.

Top Bottom