What game are you currently playing

+
How is your 4080 eating only 165watts?
On the one hand, Forbidden West is well optimized, on the other hand, not all features (e.g. tensor cores) are utilized to the same extent as in Cyberpunk, for example.

In addition, the card is undervolted (0.935V at 2,700 MHz). As a result, it consumes no more than approx. 200 Watts in Cyberpunk, on average less (WQHD, DLSS Quality, RT RC, FG, modded, ReShade 6.1):

1711274783344.jpeg

Last edited:
On the one hand, Forbidden West is well optimized, on the other hand, not all features (e.g. tensor cores) are utilized to the same extent as in Cyberpunk, for example.

In addition, the card is undervolted (0.935V at 2,700 MHz). As a result, it consumes no more than approx. 200 Watts in Cyberpunk, on average less (WQHD, DLSS Quality, FG, modded, ReShade 6.1):

View attachment 11386771

I think most of it is the undervolted part of the équation, because my 4080 super, at about it's stock 2750mhz, takes around 230-250watts in Forbidden West. 280-320 in CP2077.

Jep, without UV it´s the same here, up to 320 Watt max. You will losing not much FPS by UV, but get lower Temps, slower fans, smoother Framerates... so UV is the standard setting for my 4080. As with the previous GPU (3070).

Jep, without UV it´s the same here, up to 320 Watt max. You will losing not much FPS by UV, but get lower Temps, slower fans, smoother Framerates... so UV is the standard setting for my 4080. As with the previous GPU (3070).

Thanks for the info. I might try it. Although, temps are "ok" for me (mid-60s under load, same for my 5800x3d) and fans are also reasonnably "quiet" (lian-li AL120 V2, six of them).

I game with headphones though...

Anyways, enjoy FW!

An indie game called No Place Like Home.

It's a mix of farming, animal husbandry, exploration, resource collecting, combat, and questing. With a story. Really, really fun! :D

Mechanically, the game is a solid 8-9/10 in my opinion. I'm not far enough into the story to really comment on it. Been getting sidetracked by a million things and just general exploration but it's been intriguing and piqued my interest. Makes me want to see where it's going. Which is more than I can say for most games so that's worth something.
Ok, more I play, more I love the game...
For sure, time to time, pawn's AIs can be a bit dumb/stupid which often turn to be hilarious... But sometimes, it end to incredible moment, especially during fights (I would say, pretty close to genius^^).

Long story short, few minutes ago, it was great... (in spoiler in case).
I play sorcerer + a thief + a mage/healer + archer and I was fighting against an ogre (a tough one).

I was casting a big spell which take a while to prepare when suddenly, the ogre catched me, climbed quite high on a cliff and start to bit/eat me. I was unable to do anything and my life was dropping pretty fast so, I simply spamed the "help" order without much conviction, almost certain I would die.
But my "rogue mate" jumped on the beast and stabbed the ogre in the head, which make him release me. Again, with only few HPs remaining, I was sure I would die by fall damages...
But my own and beloved pawn (archer) who waited at the bottom of the cliff managed to catch me just before hitting the ground, saving my life at the very last moment... Even better, my healer next to us, directly casted a healing spell and a couple secondes later, I was almost full life and ready to fight.

What a great "team fight" sequence... I was blaffed!

That sounds interesting. Because I value story and interesting characters, where would you place the narrative and characters in comparison to, for example, Cyberpunk, Horizon Forbidden West, Baldur's Gate 3, Fallout 3/4, Skyrim?

That sounds interesting. Because I value story and interesting characters, where would you place the narrative and characters in comparison to, for example, Cyberpunk, Horizon Forbidden West, Baldur's Gate 3, Fallout 3/4, Skyrim?
It's quite difficult yet because it's subjective and I didn't really push far the main quest(s), I'm so distracted to explore the open world which is fantastic :)
But I can fairly say it's interesting enough for me to want to see more. So for now, (never played Horizon Zero and probably never will...) I would place Dragon Dogma 2 between BG3 and Fallout4 (more close to BG3 than Bethesda games which are pretty low in "story" ranking^^).

If I have to find an equivalent (again subjective), I would say it's a bit like KCD, story and characters are interesting enough, but the game really shine in gameplay and the open world.

Because you show a certain expertise here, I would also like to know exactly that from you (y).
Difficult to have a real advice yet. It would be like asking how good Cyberpunk story is while I only completed "The Pickup", "The Information" and spent most of my time exploring Watson and doing GIGs. So far so good, but I think I barely scratched the "story" itself, so story still can turn to be great, good, average, bad or really bad :)

Dragon's Dogma 2 here, as well. Phenomenal game -- it's everything the original was but bigger, cooler, and cleaner.

I know there's a lot of hype over the microtransactions.

It's hype. Again.

They have effectively zero impact on the actual game. There's not even an in-game shop. There's one option on the main menu that takes you to Steam to buy DLC if you want. There's no prompts, adverts, pop-ups or anything in the actual game itself. (Plus, they're mostly for Rift Crystals...which means you're effectively paying to not play the game.) It's as simple as ignoring them. The review bombing is just that: negative hype. The microtransactions have nothing to do with the actual gameplay.

Character creation is limited to one character at a time (...same as the original, by the way...) and starting over is a bit of a wonky process, though not hard or time-consuming. However, it's also largely irrelevant, as only cosmetics are affected. Capcom has already announced that they'll add a formal "New Game" option and will up the number of Art of Metamorphosis (which is already available in-game within about 3 hours of beginning a new character) to be available even earlier and will go from 2 to 99 purchases per playthrough.

The performance issues are there, but hardly gamebreaking. On a fairly mid-range system, I've got the game running at 50-80 FPS pretty much across the board with a little stutter here and there in the largest cities. Max shadows are about 90% of the major slowdown, so lowering them to High smooths things out immensely. Plus, there is virtually no slowdown at all, anywhere, in the wider world, which is where all the combat takes place. The game runs very smoothly most of the time. (This is on a Ryzen 5 5600X with an RTX 3060. 1440p, ray tracing off, settings maxed [aside from shadows], DLSS Quality.)

There is a tremendous amount of game here. Pawns are much more intelligent and entertaining. The world is flippin' huuuUUUuuuge. Combat is fast, slick, and responsive. Inventory management has been improved immensely over the first game. The story is much better presented (though still totally cryptic -- which is intentional.)

Totally awesome sequel.

I seem to keep recycling my old games :D

Still mostly jumping between Valheim (while waiting for new content) and Cities Skylines 2 (which got mod and map editor update yesterday!). Palworld got completed and that was loads of fun, but don't feel like playing it again at this point.

Bought Ark: Ascended, so I'm sort of playing Ark again. Game is the same, but with some tweaks. It has been a while since the last time I played it, and it seems to be fun again.

Bought Ark: Ascended, so I'm sort of playing Ark again. Game is the same, but with some tweaks. It has been a while since the last time I played it, and it seems to be fun again.
I wondered if it's worth to buy it again... Already have "everything" (Scortched Earch, Aberration, Extinction, Genesis 1 - 2 and all "modded" free maps). No sure I want to buy the game again and only to have access to The Island (great map, but still...).
So worth it? Look really better?

On a fairly mid-range system, I've got the game running at 50-80 FPS pretty much across the board with a little stutter here and there in the largest cities. Max shadows are about 90% of the major slowdown, so lowering them to High smooths things out immensely.

If only it was this simple for everyone.

There is literally no difference in performance between setting everything to low at 1080P and setting everything to max with RT at 4K in my case. Literally none. I get the exact same FPS in town. Which is to say somewhere between low 30s and low 40s. With much better hardware too. Shoots up to a stable 90+ out in the wilds luckily since, as you pointed out, it's where most of the action happens but still. It's annoying to get these massive slowdowns every time I step in town.

It's still very strange how it affects some people disproportionately. It's all entirely to do with the way the engine calculates NPC advanced pathing and physics and, from what Capcom indicated, I'm hopeful it'll be fixed in due time.

I wondered if it's worth to buy it again... Already have "everything" (Scortched Earch, Aberration, Extinction, Genesis 1 - 2 and all "modded" free maps). No sure I want to buy the game again and only to have access to The Island (great map, but still...).
So worth it? Look really better?

I can't speak for console but on PC it's a graphically decent upgrade. With that said, a friend of mine bought it and tried to convince me to join him and I am damn happy I did not. It did not feel worth it at all. Weirdly enough, a lot of the bugs that were present at the original's release and subsequently squashed came back and it's ultimately the exact same game you played before with very little QoL changes.
Post automatically merged:

In addition to @LeKill3rFou's post, I'd add this. The story is going to be especially cryptic and harder to follow if you know nothing of the world/setting.

If you are interested and want a better grasp of the story and setting - play/watch the original. You can also watch the Netflix series. It's not as in-depth as the games of course but it's still going to give you a better grasp of various themes and concepts from the game.

Otherwise, like games like Elden Ring, both DD games are games that shine largely through their gameplay. Their stories and sidequests' narratives vary between serviceable to very good but gameplay is front and center here.

Last edited:
I can't speak for console but on PC it's a graphically decent upgrade. With that said, a friend of mine bought it and tried to convince me to join him and I am damn happy I did not. It did not feel worth it at all.
Knowing the original still put a Series X on its knees... I doubt it could run well, but who know.
Weirdly enough, a lot of the bugs that were present at the original's release and subsequently squashed came back
Well, ARK and bugs, it's like a love story... I have no doubt there are bugs and I'm sure a good amount, so I wouldn't mind :p
it's ultimately the exact same game you played before with very little QoL changes.
My biggest concern is if it's only on The Island, I play the game since early access, so I know almost each bush on the map. So buying the game, again to "simply" a slight graphic improvement, it's not worth it. And above all, if it's to be stuck on The Island... I really like the fact you can jump from map to map with your character, your (some of) stuff and your dinos. Like it's reallty cool to tame Rock Drakes on Aberration and then ride them on Raganock or unlock engrams specifics to one map.

I'm aware the "general consensus" it's "it's not worth it", but it cost nothing to ask to someone who actually play it :)

Knowing the original still put a Series X on its knees... I doubt it could run well, but who know.

Well, ARK and bugs, it's like a love story... I have no doubt there are bugs and I'm sure a good amount, so I wouldn't mind :p

My biggest concern is if it's only on The Island, I play the game since early access, so I know almost each bush on the map. So buying the game, again to "simply" a slight graphic improvement, it's not worth it. And above all, if it's to be stuck on The Island... I really like the fact you can jump from map to map with your character, your (some of) stuff and your dinos. Like it's reallty cool to tame Rock Drakes on Aberration and then ride them on Raganock or unlock engrams specifics to one map.

I'm aware the "general consensus" it's "it's not worth it", but it cost nothing to ask to someone who actually play it :)

Then that's exactly what I'm saying, it's not worth it to you.

It's the exact same map (some very MINOR rework of some small areas like a hill being adjusted to improve the looks and traversal) you already know and, for the moment, you are effectively stuck on the island. The DLCs are supposed to come eventually. Unless that has changed and they will be free of charge.

When I say my friend tried to convinced me to join him, what I mean is he streamed it extensively on our group's Discord for us all to see and even he ended up quitting very quickly because it was just the exact same game. Every little spot we knew from the original is exactly or very largely the exact same.

Personally, considering the price tag and how easy it is to port from UE4 to UE5, I genuinely think the whole thing is a bit scummy. Then again, were talking about about a company that didn't hesitate to release expansions before the original even left early access. They're no strangers to dubious moves meant to improve cash flow while a bigger project is still being developed Ascended feels very much like that.

Top Bottom