Hack and Slash experience?

+
Hack and Slash experience?

Hello witcher fans.
As we know the combat in WT3 will be more dynamic and tactical, and also that the game count with 96 animations.
I don't know in which interview cd projekt said that they want to give us a hack and slash optimal experience, the game also seems that will include a variety of combos and counter attacks.
Geralt can also block and in trailers he looks like he can dodge attacks very faster.
And also cd projekt has said that the combat will be more fluid.
Do you think the combat will be more like a hack and slash experience?

:hmm:

I know that CDPR have mentioned that they liked certain elements from the combat in the Dark Souls series and the Batman Arkham series.

So if you can combine a few of those elements with the combat from The Witcher 2, that would be my best guess as to how the combat will be in The Witcher 3.

Last edited:
Who knows.. but if it is, I sure hope it's fun and looks awesome at the same time.
I really hope they program the controller buttons on XB1/PS4 to vibrate with every attack, sign and block.
Marcin can you confirm this please?

Last edited:
Marcin Momot can you confirm this?

Confirm what exactly?
There are countless interviews where the devs say that the combat will be tactical and fluid. With one click equaling in one swing of the sword, the ability to go from sword singing to sign casting fluidly. We won't be able to tell for ourselves until we actually see it in motion.

Marcin already said in another thread that the game isn't arcadey button mashing hack and slash game I believe.

And it depends on what you think "hack and slash" is, The Witcher one isn't, but The Witcher 2 is hack and slash but it's not limited to that, it has many tactical elements(bombs, signs, traps, potions, etc) and you certainly don't win by mashing buttons.

Who knows.. but if it is, I sure hope it's fun and looks awesome at the same time.
I really hope they program the controller buttons on XB1/PS4 to vibrate with every attack, sign and block.
Marcin can you confirm this please?

You know it will get very annoying after a while, the controller will vibrate all the time in battles? It would be ok for signs, maybe blocks.

Marcin already said in another thread that the game isn't arcadey button mashing hack and slash game I believe.

And it depends on what you think "hack and slash" is, The Witcher one isn't, but The Witcher 2 is hack and slash but it's not limited to that, it has many tactical elements(bombs, signs, traps, potions, etc) and you certainly don't win by mashing buttons.
Then the combat is like a tactical-hack and slash game?

Confirm what exactly?
There are countless interviews where the devs say that the combat will be tactical and fluid. With one click equaling in one swing of the sword, the ability to go from sword singing to sign casting fluidly. We won't be able to tell for ourselves until we actually see it in motion.
Well in the interview with ign cd porjekt said they want give us a optimal hack and slash experience

Then the combat is like a tactical-hack and slash game?

sid's description was for TW2. As Kinl3y has already said, TW3 won't be exactly the same and we're still waiting to see exactly what CDPR mean

Marcin Iwinski said:
Obviously, our core audience is the RPG gamer, but we're looking to expand that demographic with gamers who just want to follow the main story, and have a satisfying hack-and-slash experience.
By that I think he means people who want to mow through enemies with ease on lower difficulties and not that the combat will be "hack and slash".

"There were a lot of erratic difficulty spikes in The Witcher 2. Will The Witcher 3 have an easier learning curve?"
"We call this the Eastern European immersion curve, where we throw players straight into the deep end."

I've always thought hack n' slash meant games like DMC, Bayonetta, God of War, etc. Games that put sword swinging on crack and emphasize combo button mashing. I know for a fact I don't want the aesthetic ( animations) elements of these games in TW3. I'm not opposed to some combo element as Witcher always had this. The 'one click one swing' bit is something that needs clarification, because that could get button mashy real fast, meaning the combat is designed for a controller. I'm one of the few that liked the multiple swing/hit mechanic in TW2.

Last edited:
"There were a lot of erratic difficulty spikes in The Witcher 2. Will The Witcher 3 have an easier learning curve?"
"We call this the Eastern European immersion curve, where we throw players straight into the deep end."

Pardon me for asking, but where the hell is this gif from and what is he doing? And why am I laughing so hard? :lol:

EDIT: Witcher 1 had timed clicks, so anyone mashing buttons will have trouble with that game. Witcher 2 I could mash buttons as hell, but it rarely/never helped unless at QTE events. You needed to have a strategy. I hope it's the same with Witcher 3. You need a strategy, and honestly I wouldn't mind a little Witcher 1 combat influences as well.

Last edited:
The only think that I really want in Witcher 3's combat is a good block and counter attack system. Rolling around in Witcher 2 got really repetitive and annoying very quick. I don't mind having certain unblockable attacks, which player has to roll around to avoid; but rolling around for each attack was pretty annoying and unrealistic.
And YES, YES, YES I know Witcher 2 had blocking, but I never blocked because it used up vigor. I preferred saving the vigor and use signs. So I ended up rolling around and use aard, followed by 2-3 sword hits, roll around again, and so on.

Top Bottom