Netrunner Navigator web page

+
Netrunner Navigator web page

Hey All,

Just moving an original post I did on Netrunning 3.0 about a web page I created http://cybersmily.net/apps/nrtrace . This is a utility to have your netrunner navigate the world and region maps to acquire a trace value.

I know there are a few bugs:
- Some of the LDL's roll overs aren't working perfectly.
- Need to adjustment some of the LDL's location.
- Missing the Orbitsville map.
- For mobile devices, I tried to have clicks instead of roll over to display the info, but doesn't seem to be working right.

I will post here with the updates.
Also give feedback and ideas you might want to see.

update: link has changed.

Last edited:
If you're feeling REALLY ambitious you could include a fill-in-the-blanks section where the DM can enter the strength of the player/hackers programs and the die rolls made by the player (you could automate the die rolling but players REALLY prefer to roll their own dice) possibly modified up or down by the GM based on whatever factors (s)he thought were relevant. Since the Security Level and Trace Value of each link in the grid is on CP2020 pg 147 you could automate the steps necessary to get to the location of interest and speed things up for GMs/players.

If you're feeling REALLY ambitious you could include a fill-in-the-blanks section where the DM can enter the strength of the player/hackers programs and the die rolls made by the player (you could automate the die rolling but players REALLY prefer to roll their own dice) possibly modified up or down by the GM based on whatever factors (s)he thought were relevant. Since the Security Level and Trace Value of each link in the grid is on CP2020 pg 147 you could automate the steps necessary to get to the location of interest and speed things up for GMs/players.
So sounds like you are suggesting two things: 1 - Input the program str of the ICE that is doing a trace and see whether it succeeds. 2 - if you have a pre-planned route, input it, and see if all the security was successful. Correct?

CiberSmily! Congrats again on your great page, but not only for the LDL navigation page, that is great, you have a good Quick NetRunning Rules that I'm going to use on my next game (is going to be tabletop, so my NetRunning 3.0 is a bit bulky and experimental to hand it to the players right now)

As for the LDL I have a few suggestions, but I know you have done the basics and now is time to slowly adding the more complicated ones:

1.- You could print on screen the route of LDL's clicked, so you could check if they are correct (between 5 spaces)

2.- Disallow/Disable the LDL already passed. As an example I found one with Sec 1/ Tracing 3, and is a trace-fest, because you could click on it forever, cant get caught because of the Sec 1 (can't roll below 1!) and everytime it adds 3 to my trace, so I ended on over 50 trace value easily.

Another aproach could be adding a cumulative -1 to the Security Roll each time you repeat an LDL, and the point 1 comes great for this to check previous passed LDL's

So sounds like you are suggesting two things: 1 - Input the program str of the ICE that is doing a trace and see whether it succeeds. 2 - if you have a pre-planned route, input it, and see if all the security was successful. Correct?

Yup.
Basically automate the process since neither the ICE nor the Security levels change during the routing phase of a hack. Then let folks play out the "collect/change the data" portion as normal since that's always unique/unpredictable/more interesting part.

Good point by corvendallas too, once you've tried a certain LDL on any single run, pass or fail, it's closed for that particular run find another route.

Last edited:
2.- Disallow/Disable the LDL already passed. As an example I found one with Sec 1/ Tracing 3, and is a trace-fest, because you could click on it forever, cant get caught because of the Sec 1 (can't roll below 1!) and everytime it adds 3 to my trace, so I ended on over 50 trace value easily.
I notice that too. I always wondered if it needed an errata on it. As stated:
"These defenses are reflected in the LDL's Security Code; a value you must roll a 1D10 value equal or higher than in order to scam the system.
It would make more sense and a better mechanic reading like "a value you must roll higher on a 1D10 to scam the system."
I can see that you can't hack the same LDL twice in a row, but go to another and coming back to it to loop back through seem more feasible.

I notice that too. I always wondered if it needed an errata on it. As stated:
"These defenses are reflected in the LDL's Security Code; a value you must roll a 1D10 value equal or higher than in order to scam the system.
It would make more sense and a better mechanic reading like "a value you must roll higher on a 1D10 to scam the system."
I can see that you can't hack the same LDL twice in a row, but go to another and coming back to it to loop back through seem more feasible.

So if you can repeat LDL's I think it would be a good idea raise the Sec Level each time you pass to prevent exploit of some low Sec/high trace places, the technical reason is easy you can argue that... What the hell !!! Why do we have to explain the netwatch doings to players! [Run] Hellbolt [/Run]

Another update to the utility. I added a grid so you can click on the squares to mark them. Expanded the instructions. Fixed click on LDLs in mobile devices ( at least tested on my HP touchpad [palm OS] and my Windows Phone).
Should work on FF and IE. I ain't a I-thing person, so don't know if Safari works. Nor do I care for Google's world domination plans. Microsoft is only the true evil I will follow! Second only to Cthulhu of course...

It works perfectly in Safari but for the grid squares new feature. At least in my case they only appear in the left quarter of the map (either regional or worldwide).

Goood stuff old pal, damn good stuff. DO NOT LET ME FORGET TO ARCHIVE THIS when I get the file project back up.....

So did another update to the map.
- I added orbitville map
- Marked paths are outlined in yellow(making on the space map didn't look good without it)
- Once a square is marked only adjacent squares can be mark. This is to help limit the movement. So only the squares above/bottom/right/left can marked.

This just in...
Cities maps have been added. I have added city grids from the awesome sauce that lies within RB's Guide to the Net. Just saw this was going for $9 on DriveThru. Good buy if I didn't already have my hardcopy already.

So list of cities:
* Algiers
* Beijing
* Berlin
* Crystal Palace
* Denver
* Hong Kong
* Jerusalem
* Las Vegas
* London
* Louisville
* Moscow
* O'Neil City (all of them are the same until I get other resource book telling me otherwise)
* Rio De Janeiro
* Singapore
* Tokyo
* Tunis
* Tycho
* Washington DC

I will be taking a look at all my other books and see if there are anymore. Like Night City... :p

This gets better and better. good job.

The only issue I found is that when you enter a City Map in Orbitsville, in that map appears many black squares that then are translated to the World Map when you click in the LDL.

Anyway, as I have always said you are creating a very useful tool to improve Cyberpunk 2020 games.

hmmm, didn't see that issue with my local web site. Then again, I'm not in a full dev environment with my development, staging, qa, pre-prod, and production servers all set up in a nice control Software Development Life Cycle ;-)

---------- Updated at 03:14 AM ----------

That bug should be swapped now..

Top Bottom