Media: Cyberpunk 2077 Movies

+
You can think of Oshii what you want, Ghost in the Shell '95 is right up there with sliced cheese, at least in my book.
Innocence unfortunately couldn't do what Judgment Day or Empire Strikes Back were able to do in their respective franchises but is still a worthwhile watch, even just for the (arguably better) visuals.
The only thing about the Stand Alone Complex offshoot series I absolutely despise and think the series would have been MUCH better without are those infuriatingly stupid Tachikomas and the unnecessary lightheartedness and comic relief they contaminated every episode they were in with. And of course they'll show up and talk in their painfully annoying japanese school girl voices in Ghost in the Shell 3 or whatever it's going to be called as well.

Alex Garland on what the Dredd sequel and threequel could have(?) looked like:

And having his full and undivided attention, we asked Garland if Dredd 2 is still dead in the water.

“As far as I’m concerned? Yeah it is,” he explained. “My hope is, and I actually think this will happen – somebody else will do it. Not to be all coy and silly about it, but I think our film was better than the first one, right? Just to be blunt. And the job of the next people is to make their film better than ours. And then if they do that, then finally, maybe this character will break out in the way that it deserves to. But we’ll see.”

Fans of the first movie have been vocal in their support of a sequel, even circulating a petition to make Dredd 2 happen, and Garland revealed that he has mixed emotions about their efforts.

“It makes me feel sad really. I feel grateful to the people who’ve attempted to get a sequel off the ground. And sorry that actually what happened was we let them down. Because the reality is that a film needs to acquit itself. It shouldn’t need a petition. And the truth is if it gets to the point where it needs a petition, it’s in big trouble anyway. That’s the cold hard reality of it. I feel a sense of residual guilt. It’s quite strong actually; it’s not that residual. Dredd was a very, very hard movie to work on, for all sorts of different reasons, and the reward would have been at the end of it that it all worked out. But it didn’t all work out. That’s the reality.”

As for how Dredd 2 and then 3 would have looked, Garland says the films would have grown in size.

“The first film we made it for about $35m, although quite a lot of that was to do with shooting it in 3D. Or a chunk of it. And we managed to make that film for that budget by locking it in a building essentially, sort of Die Hard-style. In the second film it was going to go out into the desert, which would be The Cursed Earth – people who know the comic book would know immediately what that means. And maybe throw some money at some key sequences. That’s how you do it I guess. I think we could have made it for another $30m, $35m type thing. We could have made it for $30m if we shot it in 2D. $35m maybe 3D I guess. Of that order. But the third one that would have been more expensive, because it would have been going back to the city and maybe bringing in some Dark Judges or something like that.”

Sadly however, it looks like we’ll never get to see his vision.

So apparently Scarlett Johansson is officially set to portray Major Motoko Kusanagi(?) in the long-gestating live-action adaptation of Ghost in the Shell:

Unsure how I feel about it with Scar in it, but.............. lets run with it.

Opens next Friday, in the UK.
Downunderians will have to wait until March, the 5th.

Sweet Ill happily wait :D hopefully its not as bad as 'the machine'.

Also a little off topic did you get to see Interstellar lv-426?

Films that deal with some good old fashioned space exploration or are at least set in deep space (for a decent amount of screen time) are kind of a dying breed these days, so of course I watched Interstellar. Only two times as of yet, but from what I could gather that's already one and half times more than most people were able to stomach and sit through before either leaving the theater or dozing off.

It's obviously quite long (maybe even just a little bit too long) but not as "heady" or meta as some people make it out to be. Just because it deals with the paradoxes of time travel, gravitational singularities and wormholes, maybe even parallel dimensions it's not automatically on the same "weird shit" level as, let's say 2001: A Space Odyssey or Solaris (the original Tarkovsky one).

It's incredibly shot and well executed - what they came up with for the depiction of the supermassive rotating black hole looks stellar, or interstellar even - the acting is solid as in what you would expect from a Nolan production and once you get used to the unusual "experimental" sound mix of some scenes it's probably one of the better films of last year but definitely one of the best sci-fi space exploration type of films I've had the pleasure to watch.

---------- Updated at 04:47 PM ----------

‘Escape From New York’ Remake Rights Deal Won By Fox

EXCLUSIVE: Snake Plissken is back! Fox has emerged from competitive bidding and closed a deal to remake the 1981 John Carpenter-directed cult classic Escpae from New York. Andrew Rona and Alex Heineman’s The Picture Company will produce.

The original was released by Avco Embassy, and the rights were own by Studiocanal. Carpenter will be an executive producer and will exert creative influence over the project. Fox’s Mike Ireland brought it in and will steer. The hope is to reinvent the property with an eye toward launching a new franchise. In the original, Kurt Russell played Plissken, an eyepatch-sporting tough guy who is conscripted to rescue the president of the United States after Air Force One — en route to a summit that could head off WWIII — goes missing after it crashes in New York, which has been relegated to a maximum security prison. Plissken, a former special forces operative convicted of trying to rob the Federal Reserve, is given 22 hours to liberate the president and a tape he carries which holds the key to peace. If he fails, he’s wired to explode.

The cynical original, hatched by Carpenter after the Watergate scandal, was set in a futuristic Gotham circa 1997. There have been remake overtures before, but not with Carpenter involved. New Line tried it with Neal Moritz. It’s the second producing project set up by The Picture Company, after they set Nottingham And Hood at Disney. TPC has a deal with Studiocanal.

While there was a spate of rumors earlier this fall that the film was about to be cast with the likes of Sons Of Anarchy star Charlie Hunnam, I’m told those rumors amounted to wishful thinking by fans, because there was no rights deal made until now, and there is no script. They are starting from scratch. That said, the notion of Hunnam playing the Snake, or Chris Hemsworth who was another one rumored, seems like pretty inspired ideas from here. I saw Russell at an AFM buyers event for Quentin Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight, and he certainly looked robust though you can’t do a remake with the original guy.

All of that is fantasy league stuff and the reality comes down the road when they hire a scribe and a filmmaker and the studio gets a script it likes. Who else is worth considering for Plissken?
Not sure if the involvment of (the now older) Carpenter will be detrimental or beneficial to this.
Watching the trailers for Mad Max: Fury Road gives me a little hope that we probably maybe might be in for another somewhat decent re-imagining of an 80s classic.
Or not.

Last edited:
Argh. One of my favourite movies. Nearly perfect for what it is, as is.

And someone else as Plissken?

Don't get your hype too high tho, i've been myself so much disapointed by crappy dumbed-down remakes that I rather take those for what they are "a simple movie", than expecting them being as good as the originals.

Don't get your hype too high tho, i've been myself so much disapointed by crappy dumbed-down remakes that I rather take those for what they are "a simple movie", than expecting them being as good as the originals.

Oh, it's not high. Very much the opposite.

Not exactly Cyberpunk-related but yeah:
Neill Blomkamp to Direct New ‘Alien’ Movie for 20th Century Fox

While the project is shrouded in secrecy, it is expected to take place after the events of “Prometheus 2″

Neill Blomkamp has signed on to direct an untitled movie set in the “Alien” universe that will take place after “Prometheus 2″ for 20th Century Fox, an individual familiar with the project has told TheWrap.

Fox continues to develop “Prometheus 2″ with director Ridley Scott, who is also producing Blomkamp’s film via Scott Free.

Blomkamp recently unveiled some concept art he came up with on his own for the “Alien” franchise, and not only did 20th Century Fox executives take notice, but they came away impressed with his take, though there is no script yet.

Blomkamp previously said he had hoped to work with original “Alien” star Sigourney Weaver on the project, though she isn’t officially involved at this time.

The project only just came together, as Blomkamp recently said it was dead before taking to Instagram on Wednesday to announce it would officially be his next movie.

Blomkamp previously directed “District 9″ and “Elysium,” and he has “Chappie” opening next month. He’s represented by WME.

Um... So I think it's officially my next film. #alien

Very philosophical, visually impressive and apart from a few futuristic elements completely unrelated and off-topic nonsense:

Mischa Rozema and PostPanic Pictures' debut film project SUNDAYS completes a first step towards its Feature Film goal with the release of this ambitious proof-of-concept short. Much-anticipated and widely-supported by the international creative community (over 50K US Dollars was donated on Kickstarter alone for the live action filming part in Mexico City), SUNDAYS is directed by Mischa Rozema.

Set in Mexico City sometime in the future and starring US actor Brian Petsos and Mexican actress Sofia Sisniega, SUNDAYS is an ambitious philosophical science-fiction proof-of-concept short.

The end of the world seems like a nightmare to Ben. A memory of a past life that doesn’t belong to him. When Ben starts to remember Isabelle, the only love he’s ever known, he realises she’s missing in his life. An existential descent into confusion and the desperate need to find out the truth begins. This reality depicts a stunning, surprising and dark world. A world that is clearly not his.

sundaysmovie.com

story & directed by MISCHA ROZEMA - cast BRIAN PETSOS - SOFIA SISNIEGA - score composed by BEN LUKAS BOYSEN - director of photography JON GAUTE ESPEVOLD edited by MISCHA ROZEMA - vfx supervisor IVOR GOLDBERG - co-producer mexico STACY PERSKIE KANISS - production designer mexico ROBERTO BONELLI associate producer ANNEJES VAN LIEMPD - screenplay by KEVIN KOEHLER - sound designer JOCHEN MADER - producers ANIA MARKHAM - JULES TERVOORT

Don't know about the trilogy part but with Nolan on the helm?
Report: Warner Planning Akira Trilogy, Christopher Nolan Involved?

Akira is one of those on again, off again projects that has haunted Hollywood for years. Word that Warner Bros. had rights to adapt Katsuhiro Otomo's classic manga and anime first broke in 2002, and news about the movie has faded in and out occasionally ever since.

At one stage, Keanu Reeves was thought to be attached. Later, it was said that director Jaume Collet-Serra was in line to make it, with Garrett Hedlund and Kristen Stewart said to be among the cast. But Reeves' name was soon detached from the project while Collet-Serra, who was asked about Akira by Collider last March, said the future of the adaptation was "a Warner Bros. question."

Since then, it's been announced that Akira's still happening with the movie being handled by Leonardo DiCaprio's production company, Appian Way, and Sons of Anarchy screenwriter Marco J. Ramirez penning the script.

We've now heard from a source close to Warner Bros. that the studio is planning to make a trilogy of films based on Akira - all the better to do justice to Otomo's sprawling dystopian sci-fi yarn, perhaps.

Most intriguingly of all, we're told that Christopher Nolan has met with a previously attached filmmaker (who we can't name here) within the past three months to talk about the project.

We're also told that Collet-Serra is no longer involved with Akira, which chimes with a story by The Hollywood Reporter back in June.

It was recently announced, of course, that Nolan's next film is out in July 2017. As ever, it's a project shrouded in secrecy. Could that film be Akira? It's a far-fetched notion, perhaps, but its positioning as a summer film certainly suggests that Nolan has something major in store, and a big-budget adaptation of Akira could fit that bill. And while Nolan has the kind of industry clout to make just about anything he wants, his prior relationship with Warner - and his history with Leonardo DiCaprio on Inception - might add weight to the Akira theory.

On the other hand, it could be that Nolan's involved as a producer rather than director, as he was on Man of Steel. While we're treating what we've been told as a rumor for now, it's undeniably a fascinating one. With Nolan's mystery film less than two years away, we'll surely have confirmation on this in one way or another very soon.

Don't know about the trilogy part but with Nolan on the helm?

This always makes me sceptical. I remember hearing news regarding a Ghost In The Shell live action movie? Scarlett Johansson is fine, but not for that particular role, since Motoko Kusanagi is a Japanese character. I am also very sceptical about the director. I don't know if he is thoroughly familiar with GITS? I fear the Hollywood effect; they might turn it into a pure action movie, without substance.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movi...arlett-johansson-casting-a-blow-to-diversity/

This trend of whitewashing amzing IP's isn't necessarely a bad thing, but it can potentially harm amazing IP's like GITS or Akira. If the people involved aren't sufficiently educated on a particular IP, they could potentially end up doing the fans - and the franchise a great disservice.

Nolan is great, but Akira is greater. I remain very sceptical.

Last edited:
This always makes me sceptical. I remember hearing news regarding a Ghost In The Shell live action movie? Scarlett Johansson is fine, but not for that particular role, since Motoko Kusanagi is a Japanese character. I am also very sceptical about the director. I don't know if he is thoroughly familiar with GITS? I fear the Hollywood effect; they might turn it into a pure action movie, without substance.
Well, last thing I heard was that shooting's to begin early next year, so there's really nothing left to do about it, except for boykotting the shit out of the finished product. Which of course won't happen on that large of a scale to really make a difference.

I'd say let Rupert Sanders and Scarlett Johansson do their westernized take on GITS, watch it (hopefully) fall flat on its face both commercially and critically and then in a few years, have the material get picked up again for the real proper live action adaptation with someone trustworthy in the director's chair and actors that actually look the part in the roles of the main characters.

Who knows, maybe even Cameron could have wrapped things up with Avatar and Battle Angel Alita by then and team up with Spielberg for his script from almost a decade ago (iirc) to finally be put to film.

This trend of whitewashing amzing IP's isn't necessarely a bad thing, but it can potentially harm amazing IP's like GITS or Akira.
Funnily enough, this isn't even a Hollywood-exclusive thing anymore and can also go the other way, with the "easternization" of the originally german/european cast for the Attack on Titan live action adaptation being the most recent example.

Nolan is great, but Akira is greater. I remain very sceptical.
Agreed, although you probably wouldn't get hold of another director who's that unlikely to be put on a very tight leash and given that much leeway to stay as true to the source material as possible, including the proper casting of the (main) characters.

Interesting choice.
James Cameron, Robert Rodriguez Teaming Up for 'Battle Angel Alita' Movie

Robert Rodriguez is in negotiations to direct the live action adaptation of the manga graphic novels that will be produced by Cameron and his Lightstorm Entertainment partner Jon Landau.

James Cameron’s more than 15-year journey to bring manga comic Battle Angel Alita to the big screen may be nearing an end.

Robert Rodriguez is in negotiations to direct the live action adaptation of the manga graphic novels that will be produced by Cameron and his Lightstorm Entertainment partner Jon Landau.

Titled Alita: Battle Angel, the project tells of a female cyborg that is discovered in a trash yard by a scientist. With no memory of her previous life except her deadly martial arts training, the woman becomes a bounty hunter, tracking down criminals.

The action-adventure story is meant to serve as a backdrop to themes of self-discovery and the search for love.

"Robert and I have been looking for a film to do together for years, so I was pumped when he said he wanted to do Battle Angel," stated Cameron. "He's very collaborative and we're already like two kids building a go-kart, just having fun riffing creatively and technically. This project is near and dear to me, and there's nobody I trust more than Robert, with his technical virtuosity and rebel style, to take over the directing reins. We're looking forward to learning a lot from each other while we make a kick-ass epic."

Added Rodriguez: "Battle Angel is an incredibly rich and vibrant epic in the tradition of Jim Cameron's spectacular, character-driven films. Getting to work from Jim’s terrific and visionary script while learning the cutting edge techniques he’s pioneered is a master class in filmmaking. It's an honor to explore the world of Alita along with Jim and Jon, whose films have impacted me for decades."

Cameron for years intended to direct Alita but other projects kept getting in the way, notably Avatar, which took his attention further when he decided he was going to make three sequels back to back to back.

The project had a script by Laeta Kalogridis (Shutter Island) but it is unclear whether it had undergone further work.

No original sound effects, no buy.
Mark Wahlberg’s ‘Six Billion Dollar Man’ Gets 2017 Release Date

Dimension Films has dated “The Six Billion Dollar Man” starring Mark Wahlberg for Dec 22, 2017.

“Wild Tales” helmer Damián Szifron wrote the screenplay and is going to direct.

Production is set to start September 2016. Wahlberg, Stephen Levinson and Bob Weinstein are producing the film.

“The Six Million Dollar Man” is based on the classic television series from the 1970s and the novel “Cyborg” by Martin Caidin. The story follows military officer Steve Austin, who becomes part of a top secret government program after a horrific accident leaves him near death. With the help of cutting edge technology, Steve is brought back to life with extraordinary abilities, making him the world’s first truly bionic man.

“I’m thrilled to assemble ‘The Six Billion Dollar Man’ for the big screen with the likes of Bob Weinstein and Damián Szifron,” said Wahlberg. “We look forward to creating a Steve Austin for the 21st century.”

Overseeing production for TWC-Dimension are Matthew Signer, EVP of Production and Creative Affairs, and Keith Levine, SVP of Production and Development.

“Writing the screenplay was such a fantastic ride and embarking on this journey with Mark, Bob and Stephen to take this story to a whole new level is simply spectacular,” said Szifron. “Growing up, these kind of films left an indelible mark on me and now it feels so good to be making one.”

A movie idea would be a black market dealer who is teamed with the main character who is a vigilante and they try to fight the company's that hold the power. They gather a following and they go on a bunch of rampages in the city and kill a bunch of officers. In the end they die but they inspire other people to fight for his/her cause.

Top Bottom