loooow res textures suddenly ?

+
loooow res textures suddenly ?

for the first time in the game after playing for a week now i found a castle with some VERY low textures.

did anyone also see these ?

my textures are set to high and settings are original (tested it with stock settings and modded settings, no difference).
textures look the same on low, medium and high, after reloading and restarting the game several times.

when riding around the castle for some time the textures change to normal textures.
it's not just the castle, but also the houses in the small village in front of the castle (north on the map).

Attachments

• witcher3_2015_06_06_14_18_46_725.jpg
    witcher3_2015_06_06_14_18_46_725.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 132
it's in novigrad, when you are coming from the south and ride over the bridge.

when i am a few meters away some textures will become clear.

Attachments

• witcher3_2015_06_06_14_29_45_567.jpg
    witcher3_2015_06_06_14_29_45_567.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 81
  • witcher3_2015_06_06_14_31_32_262.jpg
    witcher3_2015_06_06_14_31_32_262.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 99
  • witcher3_2015_06_06_14_31_27_329.jpg
    witcher3_2015_06_06_14_31_27_329.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 82
This got nothing to do with texture resolution.

It seems that the mip mapping draw distance ist too big.

That explains it. The only other setting I had changed before 105 was mipmap from 12 to 3 or 4. Guess that kept me from seeing these bugs so far.

As I said before, your mip mapping draw distance is too big. It seems that your former custom settings and the default patch settings causes issues now. So it is no bug - just restore your settings to default..

Last edited:
i confused the setting with a different one, tried changing it but did not change anything.

bug is still there.

i deleted user.settings and had it created again and put anything to default, but the bug is still there.

where can i change that mipmap drawing distance setting ?

---------- Updated at 04:15 PM ----------

changing TextureStreamingDistanceLimit from 150 to 1500 makes the hires texture appear when i am on the middle of the bridge instead of after the bridge 2 meters before the wall like before, and changing it to 50 makes it impossible to come near enough the wall for the high res texture to appear.

what is your default setting here ?

when created by 105 it's set to 150.

it seems mip mapping isn't working at all here. there is just a low res and a high res texture, like 2 mip map levels.

any entry for changing the mip map levels or mip mapping at all ?

MaxResidentMipMap is set to 6 by default and changing it doesn't help.

---------- Updated at 04:29 PM ----------

ok, i found default values of 40.000 in the rendering.ini files.

normally the game should create a new user.settings with values from the rendering.ini files, but it seems v1.05 does not, but mess up a fresh created user.settings file.

i wonder what other settings are messed up by 1.05

when i compared the values from 1.05 quite some entries had very low values compared to before. like 32 onstead of 40.000.

i would guess TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimit=30 is also not a default value.

can anyone post me a default v1.05 user.settings file please ?

Last edited:
Delete your user.settings file and let the game recreate it. That it is not a bug. It is either a vram issue or a fubared setting that you fiddled with.

i had the user.settings file recreated several times, that's where the problem is!

v1.05 creates rubbish when you delete it. and does not use the default values from the rendering.ini files.

ok i managed to fix it.

deleting the user.settings file did not help. the game is keeping a temporary copy of it somewhere and uses this for creating a new one with the last settings used when the file is deleted instead of re-creating it from scratch and from the rendering.ini files.

veryfing the game through gog galaxy did not help either. galaxy just replaces deleted files in the game directory like rendering.ini if they don't exist, but galaxy does not overwrite any changes in an existing rendering.ini file and does not create a new user.settings file in the documents directory.

solution was to delete the rendering.ini files and let galaxy copy them from the server and secondly open up the user.settings file and delete (!) all entries, but keep the headlines in brackets, then start up the game and close it.

this creates a real new user.settings file from default values and with all necessary entries.

Last edited:
That explains it. The only other setting I had changed before 105 was mipmap from 12 to 3 or 4. Guess that kept me from seeing these bugs so far.

Higher the mipmap level, the closer you have to get to load the textures. When you go down to negative numbers, texture loading distance increases. Mine's at -0.7

Higher the mipmap level, the closer you have to get to load the textures. When you go down to negative numbers, texture loading distance increases. Mine's at -0.7

you refer to the mip map bias setting of 0 to -1, that's not for the distance really but for the distance and transparency between the single layers. that means with minus 1 you get sharp textures 10 meters away, and with plus 1 you get blurred low textures 10 meters away.

the problem here was the total draw distance of all mip map levels.

---------- Updated at 06:47 PM ----------

But did you delete user.settings as well as user.settings.bak in the same directory?

thanks, i asked myself where the game keeps it's backup of the file. never saw there is a .bak file. ;)

you refer to the mip map bias setting of 0 to -1, that's not for the distance really but for the distance and transparency between the single layers. that means with minus 1 you get sharp textures 10 meters away, and with plus 1 you get blurred low textures 10 meters away.

Did i misunderstand your explanation? This is what the game looks like with TextureMipBias=15.

Did i misunderstand your explanation? This is what the game looks like with TextureMipBias=15.

yes, the game looks like that with mipbias 15 ;) but i didn't use mip bias 15 in this case. mip bias was set to -0.4.

in this case the entry for mip distance was wrong.

Top Bottom