Cyberpunk keeps crashing no matter what i do and even takes the SSD its installed on with it...

+
Hey guys. I have ran into a really weird and at this point very annoying and discouraging problem. I have freshly installed Win 11 a few days back, installed drivers, dialed in my settings and everything workes like a charm... that is until i decided to play Cyberpunk2077 again to get warmed up for the new expansion. Downloaded it, played it a bit, but the all of a sudden it crashed and took the entire M.2 SSD with it. Everything that sits on it cant be accessed anymore and throws errors when trying to open it. When i reboot everything goes back to normal. I tried a bunch of other games and programs, but none of them do what Cyberpunk does. Its also recreatable since it basically crashes as soon as i am loaded into the world. When i run the Benchmark from the settings it crashes every time i am past the palm trees in that upward motion. I tried all sorts of things so far, reinstalled it, DDUd my GPU driver, removed all OCs, tinkered with in game settings, unchecked the read only for all files, ran as administartor, but nothing helps and it always crashes and takes the SSD with it as soon as it does that. Has anyone of you had something similar happen to them and found a solution? This is driving me crazy. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Specs: Ryzen 7 5800x RX6950XT X570-E Gaming 32GB DDR4 @3800Mhz Win 11 Pro 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB PCI 4.0 M.2

Do you have a 2nd drive that you can put the game on and test if it still does the same thing?

Because this ain't something a game can do on its own, something else either software or hardware wise is causing this to happen. If it was just the game then just the game would crash, but an entire SSD going haywire is weird.

Personally I'd first check BIOS and make sure the SSD is seated properly, but you can try pinpointing what's causing this by;
  • Clicking on the Windows icon
  • Typing eventviewer and opening it
  • Then going to Windows Logs > System and checking out any errors that stand out at the time of the crashes
I suspect it might throw some NVME write errors since it crashes at the exact same spot during the benchmark.

Could also be Windows install itself being botched, for which you can try right clicking on the Windows icon > Windows Powershell (Admin) and then inputting the following commands one by one after each one is finished;
  • sfc /scannow
  • Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
  • Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
  • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Last edited:
Do you have a 2nd drive that you can put the game on and test if it still does the same thing?

Because this ain't something a game can do on its own, something else either software or hardware wise is causing this to happen. If it was just the game then just the game would crash, but an entire SSD going haywire is weird.

Personally I'd first check BIOS and make sure the SSD is seated properly, but you can try pinpointing what's causing this by;
  • Clicking on the Windows icon
  • Typing eventviewer and opening it
  • Then going to Windows Logs > System and checking out any errors that stand out at the time of the crashes
I suspect it might throw some NVME write errors since it crashes at the exact same spot during the benchmark.

Could also be Windows install itself being botched, for which you can try right clicking on the Windows icon > Windows Powershell (Admin) and then inputting the following commands one by one after each one is finished;
  • sfc /scannow
  • Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
  • Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
  • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Apparently it was really a bad SSD. i moved all the files to another one and now it works. At least the Benchmark doesnt crash anymore. I will further test it tomorrow and report back.
Thanks for your help!

That's good to hear.

If everything works tomorrow after your tests, then what I would do is download the problematic SSD's software utility and first see if there are any firmware updates for it. Then run some full performance benchmarks to see if there are any corrupted data blocks on it (Drive Health).

For example Samsung SSDs have the Samsung Magician program which can update the firmware and run the performance tests, so your NVME's company probably also has something similar.

Hopefully all ends up working as it should.

That's good to hear.

If everything works tomorrow after your tests, then what I would do is download the problematic SSD's software utility and first see if there are any firmware updates for it. Then run some full performance benchmarks to see if there are any corrupted data blocks on it (Drive Health).

For example Samsung SSDs have the Samsung Magician program which can update the firmware and run the performance tests, so your NVME's company probably also has something similar.

Hopefully all ends up working as it should.
i already did that before, but according to that software the drive is at 100% health (98% in CrystalDiskInfo). I just contacted the Sabrent support now and wait for what thy can say about that issue. Its "basically" new since it only has 21TBW at this point.

Top Bottom