Game is ruined for me

+
I'm coming back after a long while, before the big big update that cam with PL. I'm confused by most of the changes, and don't like most of them, but there is one problem that makes the game unplayable for me: Car combat.

Three seconds after I enter my car (this is not a hyperbole, three seconds), the Archer because I'm just starting the prologue, I get attacked by two cars full of Maelstroms. I've tried entering the car in different places, different times, etc. The attack is automatic and inevitable. Death is also inevitable. Because the guys are practically unbeatable, they have a skull on top indicating they are superior to me, they are about ten, and they have advanced stuff like Sandevistan and invisibility.

There is another reason why it is impossible. The enemies fire at me, police is standing there and do nothing. The moment I fire back at the maelstroms, the police say something about 'disorder in Watson' or such and start firing at ME. At first I thought maybe I hit a civilian but no. I'm positive I only hit a maelstrom. Now it is about ten maelstroms and about ten police attacking me.

Can somebody tell me WTF with this? What can be done (aside from beating 20+ superior enemies with a pistol, haha)? I can no longer play one of my favorite games. Driving cars was one of the most pleasant things in CP. On top of that, I spent money for that f***king DLC which ruined the game. Is the game now intended only for uber players who get bored of playing at maximum difficulty? I considered myself a decent player and finished the game on hard before. It was cool.

Most importantly, is there some way to turn car combat off? A setting, a mod?

First thing to do - get that armored Hoon 66 from Northside. Dont use any other vehicle before Hoon. You are safe after that unless you driving skill is as bad as your choise of weapons. Dying Night is pretty good. At Northside there are two legendary machinegun. Get one of those. You can easily kill Maelstrom and others. Just learn to play new version of CP.

Last edited:
Use any rifle and use roofs to keep distance (relocate when they use grenades … you can use them too ofc :) ). It also didn’t hurt to make some preparations and look around little before ambush squad hit (aka drive a bit to desired place).The worst decision is try to stay in open place and fight unless someone really knows what he’s going.

Car combat cannot be switched off, but there are some 0 lvl perks which makes them much easier and more enjoyable (perks reducing damage and allowing different styles for escaping from vehicle).

Last edited:
What can be done (aside from beating 20+ superior enemies with a pistol, haha)?
I always am in the same situation as you, very "weak" knowing that I rush Act 1, so I simply flee :)
Call your car before the Dex's call end, then drive through Militech AVs and it should be fine (pretty easy to avoid to fight these guys^^). In worse case, you simply jump out your car and enter in a shop in Kabuki roundabout, it should stop the fight right away.

"Use any rifle and use roofs to keep distance..."

Double jump tendons are excellent for tactical escape. Armored Hoon 66 - It doesnt have glass windows.. fully armored.. two cannons. Requires little bit practice, especially 180 degree handbrake turn. But when you master that car you are invinsible.

Armored Hoons, double jumps, sniping from roofs... Guys, I'm just starting the game. Right after speaking to Dex. Is it this way all the time? That you can't even drive without being attacked every ten seconds? I think I'll have to do the whole game on foot and fast traveling.

Guys, I'm just starting the game. Right after speaking to Dex. Is it this way all the time? That you can't even drive without being attacked every ten seconds?
Just flee, that's what I do at this point of the game... I'm not interested in vehicle combat anyway :)
And no, not all the time. It's only after some quests or GIGs and depend of what happen during them (gun blazing / Open combat > you likely will be chased, complete stealth or undetected > you won't be chased).

Caralampio.. New (2.0->) Night City is a dangerous place. Now you really have to earn your reputation. No sightseeing anymore. Remember.. anything less than hard difficulty is for peelos (google "peelo"). I would like to hear how badly new versions of bosses beat you. TIP: that Witcher sword is one of the best weapons against bosses.
Post automatically merged:

I have to start a new "very hard" game. Matilda K. Rose went down too easily at hard level. Witcher sword is really nice.

Last edited:
Three seconds after I enter my car (this is not a hyperbole, three seconds), the Archer because I'm just starting the prologue, I get attacked by two cars full of Maelstroms.
Try siding with Maelstrom instead by either hacking Militech's credchip, or paying for the bot yourself. If you don't attack anyone your tail should remain clear.

Hm. That is a weird issue, and doesn't seem intended.

If not done already, try lowering the game to the lowest difficulty. Then level up before entering the car again. Hopefully, they will stay off your trail. The Maelstrom party you describe sound like those you get when you end up shooting at the all foods factory. Plus, maybe, they are misfortunately joined by Arasaka revenge squad. Not sure why there would be ten of them.

Maybe, just maybe, you can enter the car so you trigger them, then leave the car and run to hide somewhere. If you get far enough, that should do something, though I am not sure what, since those attacks are unique, they aren't supposed to just go away like the police stuff.

Signed 'uber player'. ;)

I didn't do any of the story missions or gigs for the longest time, mostly just did NCPD encounters and a few side quests until about level 40. By that point, I was able to self destruct the cars with a hack, so I never had much problems with these. I think most of these car chases happen after gigs and a few story missions. Like I immediately got attacked by Voodoo Boys after finishing that. I did a gig to rescue the doctor from Maelstrom, and immediately got attacked afterwards too. There are a few cases I think where if you do the mission with stealth and don't alert anyone, you won't get attacked. Go in guns blazing and raise the alarm, and you'll get some blowback after it.

Still, I don't think this is the worst part about this game. I really don't like the scaling changes that were made. Pre 2.0 everything was more or less hand placed or designed for specific levels and stats, and now most everything is scaled to me and it feels artificial and boring. I'm hoping for Orion they have a more solid plan for this, a nice medium between the two, because full scaling is lame. Either everything is designed and placed for a specific level (like Fallout 1/2) or you do a middle-ground like Morrowind where some enemies scale, but stop at certain levels, and otherwise everything is still hand placed. With scaling, you never feel powerful because everything around you is always designed to give you a challenge, and I despise that type of gameplay. This is basically Oblivion all over again and I hated Oblivion for doing that. 2077 is lucky I dig the lore, story and universe so much that I can overlook it.

I'm coming back after a long while, before the big big update that cam with PL. I'm confused by most of the changes, and don't like most of them, but there is one problem that makes the game unplayable for me: Car combat.

Three seconds after I enter my car (this is not a hyperbole, three seconds), the Archer because I'm just starting the prologue, I get attacked by two cars full of Maelstroms. I've tried entering the car in different places, different times, etc. The attack is automatic and inevitable. Death is also inevitable. Because the guys are practically unbeatable, they have a skull on top indicating they are superior to me, they are about ten, and they have advanced stuff like Sandevistan and invisibility.

There is another reason why it is impossible. The enemies fire at me, police is standing there and do nothing. The moment I fire back at the maelstroms, the police say something about 'disorder in Watson' or such and start firing at ME. At first I thought maybe I hit a civilian but no. I'm positive I only hit a maelstrom. Now it is about ten maelstroms and about ten police attacking me.

Can somebody tell me WTF with this? What can be done (aside from beating 20+ superior enemies with a pistol, haha)? I can no longer play one of my favorite games. Driving cars was one of the most pleasant things in CP. On top of that, I spent money for that f***king DLC which ruined the game. Is the game now intended only for uber players who get bored of playing at maximum difficulty? I considered myself a decent player and finished the game on hard before. It was cool.

Most importantly, is there some way to turn car combat off? A setting, a mod?
You can actually get away and run away from them. it's quite easy to do. simply wait for them to get out of their cars, and then get in your vehicle and get away. Also a nice tip to make vehicle combat more enjoyable (so you can simply focus on the driving and not the shooting), leave the auto aim ON.

Armored Hoons, double jumps, sniping from roofs... Guys, I'm just starting the game. Right after speaking to Dex. Is it this way all the time? That you can't even drive without being attacked every ten seconds? I think I'll have to do the whole game on foot and fast traveling.
That does sound frustrating. It also sounds odd. I've never had that happen after the updates. You may just have rolled a super-unluck random number. My only advice is what several other people have suggested. Run away, fast. Or, turn down the difficulty just long enough to escape.

That does sound frustrating. It also sounds odd. I've never had that happen after the updates.
Did they change how this works in an update? I've also not played since about 2.1. But back then this one happened exactly this way if you sided against Maelstrom in Act 1 during "The Pickup". Usually first car you hop into after Act 2 starts spawns the ambush and on higher difficulties ,yeah, it can have a couple or three elite (skull) enemies that are a serious problem at low level.

Top Bottom