Issues loading saves / beginning a new game TW2

+
Greetings -

My Witcher 2 game just ... stopped today. I can't start a new game or load a previously saved one. My installation on my "backup" machine works just fine, so clearly something went kaput on my main machine's installation.

When I select new/load game, i get the splash screen and music behind it, but before the load completes, the game exits and I'm back at Windows.

I'm, in the middle of reinstalling it, but is there any way to diagnose what had happened, or repair it? Looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Post moved!

Did Windows recently update, by any chance? (If on Win 10, ensure the Permissions for your ...\Documents\The Witcher 2\... folder are set to "Everyone".)

Thanks for the quick reply, SigilFey. Did Windows 10 update recently? Hoho. It seems like every week there's something new.

But, not since the last time played it, no. The path you specify is ...\Documents\Witcher 2\ on my machine (no "The"), and the permissions on that folder (Properties/Security) are set for Allow for all available Groups and Users - System, (my_name) and Administrators (no "Everyone" group.) The only permission not selected is "special permissions", but that shouldn't be the issue here. We're trying to be sure the defaults are in place, yes?

Thanks for the quick reply, SigilFey. Did Windows 10 update recently? Hoho. It seems like every week there's something new.

But, not since the last time played it, no. The path you specify is ...\Documents\Witcher 2\ on my machine (no "The"), and the permissions on that folder (Properties/Security) are set for Allow for all available Groups and Users - System, (my_name) and Administrators (no "Everyone" group.) The only permission not selected is "special permissions", but that shouldn't be the issue here. We're trying to be sure the defaults are in place, yes?

Absolutely. Sounds like you're in order there. I don't use Windows 10, so I may not be up to speed with all of the changes. Also been eons since I played TW2. Seems like the easy answer is already taken care of -- what you describe sounds right.

My next guess would be reinstalling all of the Microsoft Redistributables that come with the installation. (Running a verify / repair through GOG / Steam is also a good idea.) If it's crashing at the point you describe, either the game is missing data it needs, or some other program is taking focus away from it.

You can also try disabling your anti-virus while playing. Aggressive security software (Norton, McAffee, Comodo, etc.) can wreak havoc with games.

Top Bottom