Let us play closed beta

+
As we know beta was much better game for many people, even the players once remade the beta version so why dont you let us play that version again? I dont really beliive reds will do it but why not, you can meet a lot of people who would love to play the closed beta again :)

It seems the forums are dead these days. I second this. If nothing else it is likely to prove free money for CDPR since it should bring people people to the game and result in an uptick of cards and whatnot sold, and this new Homecoming revision has already reached the end of its lifespan anyway. Most of us liked the old game and would appreciate a return to it.

Frankly, I do not see the harm in asking for a re-release of beta Gwent, and there are a number of us who do indeed have the interest to play that game again, a game which we no longer have as of the Homecoming patch (although the Midwinter patch also had significant negative effects for Gwent as people knew it - Homecoming was just an attempt to fix the mistakes of Midwinter patch - hence the name Homecoming - with the same thinking that was used to create it, and thus decided the issue was that they didn't double down on their new design direction enough). It is also telling that while there have been efforts to revive beta Gwent, there has been no effort to create any form of custom server for the current game. At the end of the day, there is a demand for beta Gwent, even if most of us have moved on to other games by this point, as it is likely that an official relaunch of beta Gwent will garner interest that this new game we have been left with does not share.

And may I ask, by what basis do you present that strongly-worded claim of there being "absolutely no chance"?

From what I can tell, it is precisely because the current Homecoming-patch based game is largely discontinued that there shouldn't be any trouble re-releasing beta Gwent. It is by no means difficult to make the client available for download again, set up the old Gwent server software, and let people play the original. All of that software is still fully functional and would not require any active development. At most there would have to be some looking into how scraps and whatnot will be handled for existing Gwent accounts, but that is quite manageable. You make a simple determination on how you intend to transfer scraps and run a DB script to populate accounts with the appropriate amount of scraps and whatnot. I honestly see no reason whatsoever why the existence of "balance council" somehow precludes any of this.

would not require any active development
It would require maintaining (running servers for) two versions of the game, which wouldn't make any sense (this was the case even while the game was still being worked on).

CDPR have stated the game "has been sunset", which makes it impossible for there to be huge changes like what is being suggested in this thread.

You don't need separate servers. You can run both games on the same server. That's what Guild Wars does with GW1's hosting software running on the GW2 servers. At most you'd use different ports to keep everything separate.

And reinstalling an old copy of the game does not require any huge changes. You're not changing either game, at all. You're just running beta Gwent separately, and all of that software still works.

Last edited:
Top Bottom