Monster Hunting: QTE Vs. Combat Move

+
Monster Hunting: QTE Vs. Combat Move

A little excerpt taken from the March Game Informer coverage on The Witcher 3 in regards to Monster weakness

"Most Importantly, you can strike critical areas in combat depending on how much you learn about monster anatomy and tactics; disabling a vampire's poisoning attack by hitting its venom gland, stopping its regeneration by hitting the specialized organ responsible, or even pulling off an instant kill by skewering both of its hearts with precise thrusts. CD Projekt RED is still deciding between using a handful of in-combat special moves for these attacks and a slow-motion quick-time even style of executing the strikes"

So which do you think is better? and why?

Guest 3593423

Could use a targeting system which you activate close-up to get specific parts of the body (as long as Geralt has the knowledge of those parts).

Lori

Forum regular
Yes, about the targeting system, I wonder how they will include this. Since the devs mentioned Geralt's combat animations will be very fast and fluid I'd imagine it would be incorporated in in something perhaps similar to Red Dead's 'Dead Eye' feature, or Fallout's "V.A.T.S" where the game either pauses or goes into slo-mo.

Aver

Forum veteran
I don't know what it will be, but I'm pretty sure that it won't be anything like VATS.

QTEs are a scourge to decent gameplay design. Basically, instead of challenging the player to make intelligent use of the combat mechanics (and designing those to allow that!), you're giving him a sequence of buttons he's supposed to repeat, like a trained monkey.
On the upside, that allows for a much more cinematic presentation, like in the Kayran battle. That's fine for those very special, cinematic moments, like finishing an already beaten boss, but I don't think it should occur often or even be part of the regular combat.

I'm under the impression that the whole slow-mo-target-a-vital-organ-slashing-mechanic is "focus mode". It'll work something like the zandatzu mechanic in MGR Revengeance. I'm probably wrong though. Damn, I'm so excited for the game.

Guest 3593423

FoggyFishburne said:
I'm under the impression that the whole slow-mo-target-a-vital-organ-slashing-mechanic is "focus mode". It'll work something like the zandatzu mechanic in MGR Revengeance. I'm probably wrong though. Damn, I'm so excited for the game.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping.

Never heard of it, but just watched some gameplay. That is some sick sword play.

Skip to 1:22 (unless you like watching dumpster violence, you might want to stop after the spine kill). Is this the sort of bass ass witchery we can do?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL-sjNZ7Bbw[/media]

Aaden said:
On the upside, that allows for a much more cinematic presentation, like in the Kayran battle.

Exactly, it's nice to experience that once in a while. What I didn't like was that the button options remained the same for each play through, so those parts of the fights got dull and repetitive since you could remember the sequence.

Like Aaden said it worked well for ending sequence of big monsters like the kayren or the dragon. Fist fighting was eh. But definitely no qte for regular monsters.

Please have no QTE at all, breaks the immersion when I see buttons pop-up on my screen during an epic... or any fight for that matter.

Aver

Forum veteran
Aver said:
I don't know what it will be, but I'm pretty sure that it won't be anything like VATS.
Aver said:
- there is a new mechanic, which is similar to VATS from Fallout 3. You can aim at the specific parts of monsters bodies in slow-mo

My vision of it is a slow down like when you bring up the signs menu in TW2 where things still move but just very slowly. Then in this mode you can free aim and pick where you want to hit. If you have knowledge of let's just say the two hearts, those two hearts light up and you can click them, then let go and watch Geralt attack both and kill the monster. I would suppose that this meter would be something that would have to be charged in some way (potions or time) to prevent people from using it on every enemy.

It would be neat if you can use it on humans to stab them in the heart or cut off their arms/legs :D.

Wazhai said:
Witcher senses
When hunting monsters there will be a special mode that can be activated, in which Geralt can recognize highlighted traces and scents left by the monster at the scene of the crime. By doing this you can determine the type of monster and the preparations that you will need, because every monster can be slain significantly easier by making use of special tactics and equipment. In this regard, the witcher senses can be combined, for example, with the new slow-mo combat system in order to target known weak spots on the monster.

So you have to "learn" about the monsters first before you are able to instakill them using VATS. I can't say I like this very much. I'd much rather have hints on potion usage and how to fight the monster (actual tactics, weaknesses) instead of unlockable instakill moves. I thought they said that the combat will be skill based and purely tactical , not full of QTEs, unlockable finishers, cutscene fights and so on.

Wazhai said:
So you have to "learn" about the monsters first before you are able to instakill them using VATS. I can't say I like this very much. I'd much rather have hints on potion usage and how to fight the monster (actual tactics, weaknesses) instead of unlockable instakill moves. I thought they said that the combat will be skill based and purely tactical , not full of QTEs, unlockable finishers, cutscene fights and so on.

Who knows how often you'll be able to use this skill, how easy it will be to use, how quickly you have to execute the move, etc? Maybe you won't be able to use it more than once every few minutes.

Top Bottom