Patch 1.62 — Ray Tracing: Overdrive Mode

+
Same here, My game wont even load ...
i get scripts error box come up
did a fresh install , still dont work !!
Have you updated all mods that have updates available? I know CET is updated, as is Red4ext, ArchiveXL, TweakXL are all updated. I did hear that the mod "Let There Be Flight" was causing games to crash and burn so if you have that one, may want to remove it and let the author know they need to update it if it hasn't been already. I was able to play last weekend with only one crash and that was after updating all my mods.

Same here, My game wont even load ...
i get scripts error box come up
did a fresh install , still dont work !!
All you have to do is update your mods. It's been this way from the start; well over two years ago at this point. Go to Nexus and grab all the updated hooks - CET, Redscript, ArchiveXL, etc. Then open the download history section and check for mods you have that are updated, some of these may not be updated and still work or while other aren't and may break the systems they augment - Vehicle Combat being the primary one. Natural Walking Speed and Relic Effect Periods both seem to not be working as well. Then install the hooks followed by the updated mods.

Honestly... You were all capable enough to install the mods in the first place, it shouldn't be that hard to install the updated version.

I asked for this.
Me too...
Post automatically merged:

Still stuttering using DLSS3 frame generation on Ryzen CPU when you come out of the menu / map / breach. Makes it pretty unusable.

Edit: also getting weirdness on certain textures. Drivers are up to date. Goes away as soon as I turn off overdrive
View attachment 11350609
I've got the same thing -- that and these weird/moving sparkly textures. I thought it might just be my 3090 having issues at first...

Last edited:

Guest 4071710

Amazing update, thanks for adding back the ghosting on vehicles when using FSR 2.0, i really missed that feature. /s

Guest 4670038

Amazing update, thanks for adding back the ghosting on vehicles when using FSR 2.0, i really missed that feature. /s
Now that, is sarcasm I can get behind.

I have a 3080ti, I'm obviously not benefiting from this but there is no harm in it - thus no reason for me to complain.

Complaints seem to mostly come from people being jealous they can't enjoy the shiny new toys other people can.
I see. And are you sure it's not that we would just rather not give in to price gouging?

Edit: Also, that seems needlessly adversarial. Like you're calling us poor or something.

That's needlessly antagonistic.

I'm not biting.

Well if you are aware of what's happening with SLI, you should realize it's dead. Everyone who's been paying attention realized that it's dead. Hell, it was dead before Nvidia officially said "we're done" because the vast majority of gamers didn't buy into SLI and support for it was terrible throughout it's lifetime.

My 3080ti not being able to run PT properly does not mean it's "nearly" dead tech. It would be good for a few years if I chose to keep it for a few years. It won't be running the latest games with all their bells and whistles in 3-4 years from now but it would run them, I have no doubt about that. The same way your two 1000s GPUs are still working today. They're definitely falling behind but it's 5-6 years old tech at this point.

SLI is dead tech because it's been abandoned by nearly everyone, including it's creator. It's a very different thing than GPUs simply falling behind their newer and shinier models over the years. Nvidia is still supporting my GPU, and yours I believe, just not in SLI.

Graphics getting better and requiring ever more powerful GPUs is nothing new. I've been upgrading every 3-4 years for a little over 15 years because of this. At some point I want the shiny new bells and whistles. I could wait longer but I decide not to because I don't like the idea of playing games on "low" graphics. I'm a lil' bitch about this, what can I say.

Is it planned obsolescence? In many ways, yes, but there are a lot of nuances here that you seem to ignore (willfully or not, I do not know, but I won't get into this here).

Point is, it's been this way for decades. It's not about to change. Unless you can get PC gamers to collectively say "enough" and stop spending on newer GPUs, you're not changing this. Considering how this seems to have you up in arms, you may want to switch to consoles to be honest, the "issue" still exists there but it's on a longer timeframe.

Plus, you keep saying PT is another useless gimmick but it really isn't. It's another step towards photo realistic graphics that, even as just a tech demo, already shows some pretty decent improvements over regular RT. You say no one needs it and that much is true, we don't need it - we want it. Gamers (as a collective) have been demanding and expecting ever improving graphics since the very first video games. This is just another step towards better graphics. I can't make proper use of it but I sure as hell celebrate this.
I would be remiss if I didn't rebut this point for point.

1- I'm very well aware of what is happening with SLI, developers are choosing to ignore it in favor of gimmicks that seem to do nothing at this point but tank performance for all but the less than 1% of RTX 40 series holders. But, again, they do have the option of implementing it natively into their games.

2- The RTX 30 doesn't even have DLSS-3, which seems to be a necessary component to properly run Path Tracing. That alone may as well put it in the "dusty tech" category right along with my dual 1070's. I agree with everything else you said here.

3- See number one above.

4- At some point I want the shiny new bells and whistles too, but not via Planned Obsolescence where we are forced to upgrade due to greedy dev antics such as arbitrarily ignoring tech that can extend the life of GPU's. Or like when the new specs came out for Windows 11.

5- If you don't want to use this thread to get into the nuances of planned obsolescence that, according to you, I seem to be ignoring, then why don't you shoot me a personal message? Because I'd love to know what you're talking about.

6- I would think that all of the 99% of gamers that didn't rush out and buy the RTX 40 series GPU's would be "up in arms" about CDPR choosing to show-case tech that we can't run and, in fact, has done nothing but cause stability issues. And why would I go back to console, when the entire purpose of me switching over back in 2016 was to have unfettered access to multiplayer without having to pay a monthly subscription? I'm frugal that way.

7- Why would I want photo realism in video games? When I want to view real things, I turn the game off and go outside to experience nature and the stars in all their glory. PT is just the latest gimmick, nothing more. Also, I've been enjoying Cyberbug 2077 without RT/PT since day freaking one...that is until this latest patch began causing the game to crash and introduced ghosting on the cars.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 4670038

Money ?
Investment vs Income.
Pretty much the same cituation as Windows 7. I guess quite a few players/users still using Win7, but since Microsoft totally abandoned this OS (and GPU manufacturers too), the game does not longer support this outdated OS... Shame for those who keep using it, but it's like that :)

Edit : After, we probably don't have the same definition for "dead", but for me when the manufacturer stopped any support or abandoned a technology, I consider this technology as "dead"... Then I think no one is "against", it's just a constation. So you're free to ask, to hope as much as you want, but more likely "it ain't happening".
That's not an apt analogy. Windows 7 is no longer supported. The GTX 10 and RTX 20/30 series GPU's that utilize SLI/NVlink are still supported. And to reiterate, game developers have the option to implement SLI natively into their games. And I think it's less cost effective to put tech into a game that the vast majority of us can't even use i.e. PT+DLSS3. I mean, really...a Path Tracing "preview"? Which did nothing but introduce more bugs into an already buggy game.

I get Investment vs income and looking to future tech. But not at the expense of the present.

That's not an apt analogy. Windows 7 is no longer supported. The GTX 10 and RTX 20/30 series GPU's that utilize SLI/NVlink are still supported. And to reiterate, game developers have the option to implement SLI natively into their games. And I think it's less cost effective to put tech into a game that the vast majority of us can't even use i.e. PT+DLSS3. I mean, really...a Path Tracing "preview"? Which did nothing but introduce more bugs into an already buggy game.

I get Investment vs income and looking to future tech. But not at the expense of the present.
Like all businesses I suppose, studios don't have an unlimited budget and they have to choose what to invest in. By investing and working on DLSS3 right now, a technology that only few can take advantage right now, CDPR start working on a technology that they will use I'm sure, in all their future games (The next "The witcher" trilogy, Cyberpunk "2",...). And in the future, the number of players who will be able to take advantage of this technology can only growth, unlike SLI which can only decrease...
In short, like all businesses, they look (and invest) forward and not backward.

To give another example (very recent), Star Wars Jedi Survivor which is only available on PS5 and Xbox Series. There are a bunch of players who still play on PS4 or on Xbox one (for whatever reasons). Studios still have the tools to make games on these consoles, Unreal Engine 4 run fine on these consoles and there is a "market"... But Respawn Entertainment choose to look forward and not backward and only release the game on "new" hardware...

The "present" is already the past (even more true in gaming^^).

I still feel sorry for all the people that thought Cyberpunk 2077 would be solid on last gen (PS4, etc.). versions of consoles. I know Cyberpunk 2077 was billed and sold as such but anyone following the games development should have had big doubts.

Guest 4670038

Like all businesses I suppose, studios don't have an unlimited budget and they have to choose what to invest in. By investing and working on DLSS3 right now, a technology that only few can take advantage right now, CDPR start working on a technology that they will use I'm sure, in all their future games (The next "The witcher" trilogy, Cyberpunk "2",...). And in the future, the number of players who will be able to take advantage of this technology can only growth, unlike SLI which can only decrease...
In short, like all businesses, they look (and invest) forward and not backward.

To give another example (very recent), Star Wars Jedi Survivor which is only available on PS5 and Xbox Series. There are a bunch of players who still play on PS4 or on Xbox one (for whatever reasons). Studios still have the tools to make games on these consoles, Unreal Engine 4 run fine on these consoles and there is a "market"... But Respawn Entertainment choose to look forward and not backward and only release the game on "new" hardware...

The "present" is already the past (even more true in gaming^^).
It's really not about investing in "future tech", but more about investing in the customers that are supporting you. There are plenty of gamers that do have RT, yet still prefer to play CB2077 with it off. Some of us aren't here just for shiny bells and whistles. We'd rather have a game with immersive storytelling, memorable characters, and stable gameplay (SLI would help some with that). Being able to see every single reflection is a distant afterthought.

Also, I have to vehemently disagree with you on the present already being the past. The present is always "Now". If they want to come up with tech to be used on future games, fine. But in the here and now, that tech isn't being used by most of us. In short, you don't cater to customers you "might" have in the future; You cater to the ones you have "NOW".

Last edited by a moderator:

Patch 1.62 for Cyberpunk 2077 is being rolled out on PC. This update brings the technology preview of Ray Tracing: Overdrive Mode for high-end PCs.

Together with NVIDIA, we’re bringing a completely new, fully ray-traced, aka path-traced, rendering mode to the game with this patch – Ray Tracing: Overdrive Mode. We’re proud of it. It pushes the boundaries of what's possible in technology. However, because it is so new and fundamentally different from what we've been using so far, we know it's not going to be perfect from the start and players might experience some issues – that’s why we’ve decided to call it a “Technology Preview”. This is a vision of the future that we want to share, and we're committed to continue working on and improving this feature.

The technology preview of Ray Tracing: Overdrive Mode is currently recommended on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40 Series (4070 Ti and up) graphics cards. Also, on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 (1080p, 30 fps). As this is a cutting-edge feature, it requires the highest-performing hardware available to run it properly. Ray Tracing: Overdrive is very GPU intensive, therefore it’s set to "off" by default.

For other ray-tracing-capable PC graphics cards with at least 8GB VRAM, we included an option to render path-traced screenshots in Photo Mode. This is possible because it means rendering just one frame, as opposed to rendering several frames every second (i.e. FPS), which would happen when playing the game.

You'll find the list of changes for patch 1.62 below:
  • Path Tracing: Technology Preview
Added a Ray Tracing: Overdrive preset which includes the Path Tracing technology. You can enable the Ray Tracing: Overdrive preset in Settings > Graphics > Quick Preset, or just Path Tracing separately in Settings > Graphics in the Ray Tracing section. To make sure Ray Tracing: Overdrive Mode works correctly on your PC, update your NVIDIA Game Ready Driver to version 531.41 at minimum.

Additionally, we included an option to render path-traced screenshots in Photo Mode for other Ray-Tracing-capable graphics cards with at least 8GB VRAM. If your graphics card has more than 8GB VRAM and this option is still greyed out, it means you need to lower your in-game resolution. Note that the higher the resolution and the less powerful the GPU is, the longer it will take to take a screenshot (between a few seconds to several minutes). You can enable Path Tracing for Photo Mode in Settings > Graphics in the Ray Tracing section.
  • DLAA
Added NVIDIA DLAA, an AI-based anti-aliasing mode designed to improve image quality. DLAA requires a NVIDIA RTX graphics card. It can be enabled in Settings > Graphics in the NVIDIA DLSS section.
  • Intel XeSS
Added support for Intel Xe Super Sampling 1.1, an upscaling technology using machine learning to provide improved performance with high image quality. It can be enabled in Settings > Graphics in the Resolution Scaling section.
  • Benchmark improvements
Improved the Benchmark to display more information in the results screen, including PC specs, GPU driver version and selected settings.
Okay, so what I'm seeing is that I don't need this update. I don't have an NVIDIA GPU or an Intel CPU (both are AMD), so this update would do nothing for me, is that correct?

Okay, so what I'm seeing is that I don't need this update. I don't have an NVIDIA GPU or an Intel CPU (both are AMD), so this update would do nothing for me, is that correct?
No. Path tracing as found with RT Overdrive mode can run on some AMD GPU's. There is a mod that can help reduce the load and optimise for less RT capable GPU's. Depending on the model of AMD GPU you have, it may be possible for you to get a playable path tracing experience. Watch the DF video below.

Top Bottom