RedKit doesn't cook over "String Key" type strings - unable to finish the adventure

+
RedKit doesn't cook over "String Key" type strings - unable to finish the adventure

Hello, I've ran into a very frustrating RedKit issue which makes certain quests unplayable and useless. I've created custom books which use "String Key" type of string, RedKit simply doesn't cook these over into the finished mod, thus these texts come out empty in the cooked level. It is a known issue that was left unsolved, for example, the names of your custom NPCs dont carry over to the cooked game, because they use a string that RedKit doesn't cook over, you could see this issue on Lykaon Alpha on almost every NPC.
I tried unpacking the en_user.w2strings and registering these string keys again (it didn't import it over at all, it didn't even have a line created for it) and it didn't work after I registered them.. I'm out of ideas on how to get these strings recognized in the cooked level.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :/.

It's solved guys! As I mentioned, RedKit doesn't export these types of strings. When I registered them back then, I registered just their IDs thinking that at least the basic text got somehow exported, but one needs to register the text all over again of these IDs to get it to work.
You can do this by decoding the "en_user" by Gibbed Red Tools.

It's solved guys! As I mentioned, RedKit doesn't export these types of strings. When I registered them back then, I registered just their IDs thinking that at least the basic text got somehow exported, but one needs to register the text all over again of these IDs to get it to work.
You can do this by decoding the "en_user" by Gibbed Red Tools.
Hey! Could you, please, explain what you did to solve this problem in a step-by-step manner? I'm about to finish my own mod and I have quite a lot custom items in it.

Oh, and maybe you know how to link a new item with an inventory icon?

Hey! Could you, please, explain what you did to solve this problem in a step-by-step manner? I'm about to finish my own mod and I have quite a lot custom items in it.

Oh, and maybe you know how to link a new item with an inventory icon?

Oh, this was a pain in the ass. Redkit just doesnt export these custom strings you added into the items, so to make the game recognize the texts again, you need to use Gibbeds Red Tools to decode the cooked user strings into a readable file. (the W2 strings that get created in your mod folder after you cook your work for example "en_strings")
Once you decode it (You need to use the windows command line to use the tools), you simply need to register those strings all over again manually into the W2 strings file and then encode it back into the W2 strings file the mod works with.

Custom item icons are in the globals/gui/icons/items. In that folder, you should see the pattern that is used for your custom items. Just copy paste one you need and rename it to suit your custom item name.
These again dont get exported... So you need to use gibbeds red tools to unpack the pack0_dzip of your mod, and add those icons into the globals/gui folder there and then pack it back again.
Good luck with your mod. Message me should you have any issues. I remember spending like 2 days figuring this out :/.

Top Bottom