THE WITCHER 2 AI UPSCALE TEXTURES

+
Mod that adds textures processed by artificial intelligence in higher resolution:
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/889

Thanks to the processing by SI, textures recover details such as for example pores on the skin, weaves on fabrics, etc.

Soon a new version with normal maps responsible for convexities and concavities of 3D models!!!

I used this about a year ago when I played Witcher 2 for the first time. It's pretty good especially when you take into consideration that it's a 32 bit Game Engine which means there is a total memory limit (system and GPU memory combined) of just 4 GB that can be addressed. There isn't a lot of room for high resolution textures which is why the max size for VRAM on GPUs in 2011 were just 2 GB and most were only 1 GB and even 512 MB were common on the lower tiers. Also the game only had a max resolution of 1440 x 900p so even 1080p was upscaled by the graphics card.

This mod is pretty straight forward but any mods using scripts can be pretty challenging to combine since everything is in containers you have to open up and all the script merges have to be done by hand and then put everything back into the container and then test to see if it works right.

Last edited:
I used this about a year ago when I played Witcher 2 for the first time. It's pretty good especially when you take into consideration that it's a 32 bit Game Engine which means there is a total memory limit (system and GPU memory combined) of just 4 GB that can be addressed. There isn't a lot of room for high resolution textures which is why the max size for VRAM on GPUs in 2011 were just 2 GB and most were only 1 GB and even 512 MB were common on the lower tiers. Also the game only had a max resolution of 1440 x 900p so even 1080p was upscaled by the graphics card.

This mod is pretty straight forward but any mods using scripts can be pretty challenging to combine since everything is in containers you have to open up and all the script merges have to be done by hand and then put everything back into the container and then test to see if it works right.
RedEngine 2 from W2 is 32 bit and 64 bit depending on what system you are using, so the memory limit is higher (max 192GB on Windows 10), when we are using 64 bit system.
As for packaging a mod so that it can be easily installed and combined with other mods, I'm working on it.

The mod will be refreshed soon, there will be more textures and more details in the textures, the new software I use can work wonders, below is a comparison of the original in 512x512 with a texture rescaled by SI in 4K resolution

P.S. Interesting fact when we export textures via Redkit suddenly it turns out that there are more of them than by unpacking the .dzip file and passing them through the xbm->dds converter

FB_IMG_1669704877005.jpg
FB_IMG_1669704871650.jpg

Last edited:
Ceadmil, today I found an interesting way to beautify textures with original assets, for such a trick I just need a diffuse map and an ambient occlusion map that can be found in normal maps, then a few clicks in Photoshop and you're done. The effect is very satisfactory in my opinion, it reminds me a bit of the appearance of the textures from the mod from The Witcher 3 Character faces improved https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/3469, but it looks more original, I will try to post how it looks on the model soon 3D.

Additionally, I learned how to create ambient occlusion maps for The Witcher 2 that are 99% true to the original, so I can add them to normal maps that don't have them, and the ambient occlusion effects should be greatly improved.

triss__b12.jpg

Top Bottom