Witcher 2"Crash"

+
Hi, i said "crash" because there's not any error, but game close, sometimes in 5 minutes, sometimes in 50, sometimes in 180 minutes.
I tried deleting saves, but I cannot delete more than 4 and game crash again, it is problem since the beginning, I mean I don't remember if it was in prologue, but I from act 1
I started in January and now I trying to finish this game
ah and most of the time it happens when i save or load game, but when i just walk it is possible

2 years ago i finish game without any problem, but it was windows 7 or 8.1 (don't think it was win 10)
Specification then:
Windows 11
CPU: intel i5-4460
GPU: Nvidia Geforce gtx 960
16GB RAM
gog version

Now i got
Windows 11
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x 3.9 GHz, 32 MB, 8 cores
GPU: Nvidia Geforce gtx 960
32GB RAM
steam verison

I don't got any save files at X:\Users\User\Documents\Witcher 2\gamesaves
and in game i got a lot of them it would take ages to remove all of them

I tried:
Open as Administrator
Runing in compatibility mode(tried every option)
turning off steam cloud

Not sure it could help, but but worth to try anyway if it's not already done :)
- Disable any kind of overlay (also check Xbox Bar which is enabled by default in Windows
- Make sure to add exception for all game folders in your AV or Windows Defender

- Disable any kind of overlay (also check Xbox Bar which is enabled by default in Windows
Done, and checking if it helps Edit: doesn't help
- Make sure to add exception for all game folders in your AV or Windows Defender
already done, I checked multiple times

I think the problem is steam cloud
I mean, "main" folder for saves (for me) is "D:\Steam\userdata\263259288\20920\remote" and I cannot turn off fully "Cloud Storage=true" to "false" this just keeps changing to true

Last edited:
You can launch the game without Steam ?
Maybe try to launch Steam in offline mode to see if it change something ?
(Or even disconnect your computer from the net)
Doesn't work either, is there any file that stores information about "Cloud Storage=true" or save path?
Im even write message to steam support so that I can play normally

And I don't know if it could help but game know where saves should be stored, and after cleaning steam cloud completely it trying to copy those files.

Not very familiar with Steam, but I read something about Steam Cloud (here) :
Interesting point : If you delete game files on your PC, you have to do it while the game is running, if not, Steam cloud will rewrite these file the next time you will launch the game.
Originally posted by LILI:
for point 2, there are 3 types of uploads to the cloud (sorry for my approximate English):

- the manual saved games (0 if you have not yet saved a game by yourself)

- the automated saved games: it can be an "autosave", "quicksave", done at start of a game, or before end of turn, etc. All done by the software as soon as you enter a game, even without doing anything but exiting this game or even tutorial. Each game has its own rule concerning this. Keep also in mind that it will take also into account the game mode. By instance, "iron mode" in a game supporting it (no save, or only 1 or hardcore mode: you die you loose all saved games) will erase your cloud if you fail.

- the initialization data for the cloud: it can store your saved games, but also complementary data, such as a setting, a preference, a game layout (interface), so then you experience the same game with same interface/settings which is the very point for a Cloud. It won't store much video data (screen/display settings) as it can be very different across your devices, but mostly interface layout (I want this minimap larger, but not the log on op left, etc,...).

Each and every game will behave in a different way.

Now, the question is : how to erase the data in the cloud. You cannot do it 100%.

You can erase the saved games from within the game if it is linked with its cloud: It is mostly a 1 by 1 process, very painful for games where you made a LOT of saves (ex, a long RPG like Skyrim, or a difficult turn-by-turn game like GC3 or HOI4/CK2/EU4, etc etc..). Erasing using the game interface will force the (de)synchronization for each file.

You can also manually delete the files in your computer, allowing bulk erasing. But do not do this with game closed as, when it will be open again, the cloud will of course resynchronize and re-install the just-deleted files !
Use Alt+Tab when in-game (so the link is alive with cloud), and delete.
Do it and test how the game synchronization responds to your cleaning action ... Beware that, depending on external factors (Cloud directly monitored by Steam, or editor's cloud, or delayed/mirror cloud, etc), deleting directly the files in your saved game folder can have a different effect and you need to test the best time for direct deletion: launcher closed/game closed/game launcher open/main game interface/in-game playing...

Finally, just de-activate like "Bumbefly Sony Test" says above, and wait.
It is best in this case to, 1st, de-activate individually using the properties for EACH game, as it will signal Steam that you do NOT want a cloud for this game. Easier understanding for the internal Steam's database monitoring tool.
Using the global Settings/Cloud option can bypass the cleaning flag, or make it harder for Steam for knowing if you really want no cloud (and its data) for later...
Steam will clean the data after a (long) while if the game has not been played. To be honest, I think it is more year(s) than days !
But yeah, Steam support would be more useful than my "very little" knowledge for sure :)

Random crashes at startup/saving or randomly ingame point to a system instability problem rather than the game itself. Startup and saving are occasions with increased CPU power draw, which might trigger a protection mechanism of the power supply. Especially suspicious that it was fine with an older, lower wattage CPU by your account. What's your PSU model?

I speak from my own experience btw - My 500W PSU (a high quality 80+ gold part) regularly shut down my system due to overcurrent protection, because my old Graphics card drew up to 400W in power spikes (despite average power draw of below 200W) over a single 12 V rail (it had only one 8 pin connector, so all power went through one cable and rail). A much newer card with similar wattage but two power connectors solved the problem.

Last edited:
cable Gembird VDE Euro/IEC C13 3m (PC-186-VDE-3M)}
psu SilentiumPC Supremo FM2 Gold 750W (SPC169)
Post automatically merged:

Okey, after almost 4 hours of testing, there wasn't any crash. solution: don't play on steam, play on GOG
if I'll encounter any crashes, I rewrite this message, but I don't think it is possible

I think the problem was with steam cloud. I mean I cannot save at "C:\Users\User\OneDrive\Documents\Witcher 2\gamesaves" on steam version, i only could save in cloud..
Problem probably solved.

Last edited:
Top Bottom