The game crashes very often. :(

+
The game crashes very often. :(

Hi all! Sorry for my english, I'm russian.
Guys, I have a problem with The Witcher 2. The game crashes very often and I don't know exactly because of what and it's very annoying. Mostly the game crashes, when I want to create a save, or to enter the Main Menu. In gameplay it crashes too of course...

My PC specs:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.60 GHz, 2gb
ASUS GeForce GTX 560, 850 MHz, 1gb, 256bit, initially overclocked
Windows 7, 32bit

I know that my CPU is old and weak by today's standards and that I have just 2gb of RAM, but because of my video card, I play The Witcher 2 on maximum requirements only without Ubersampling with 30-60 FPS. But these crashes are spoil everything. I want to add that permanent crashes (every 5-10 minutes) has started when I've reached the first part (after prologue). Before it I remember only 2-3 times when this were.

Help me please with this problem... :( What can I do to fix this? Maybe the game have some settings that are demanding the power of CPU and RAM, then I'll make these configurations some lower. Or - in some forums I saw opinions that to stop these crashes I need to delete my Nvidia 3D Vision driver, maybe I need to do it?

P.S.: Please, don't write that I must to buy a new CPU and RAM, I know that I need to do it and I'll do it in the near future, but I want to play in my favourite game now and without this bug... Thanks very much!

I'm not exactly sure, but I think that 2GB RAM is the culprit there, as the game's recommended system specifications state that 4GB is needed. Also, I don't think the CPU can cause crashes like this, but being run out of memory can.
The GPU shouldn't be problematic, even though the factory overclocked cards can cause problems too, but those are usually graphical anomalies, and not crashes. The 3D Vision driver causes no problems for me, but that doesn't mean it can't interfere with the game for some users.
If the problem persists, you could set everything to the minimum (but the texture memory size) and see if it still crashes. If not, try experimenting with the settings until you can find a balance between visuals and stability.

DeargRuadhri said:
I'm not exactly sure, but I think that 2GB RAM is the culprit there, as the game's recommended system specifications state that 4GB is needed. Also, I don't think the CPU can cause crashes like this, but being run out of memory can.
The GPU shouldn't be problematic, even though the factory overclocked cards can cause problems too, but those are usually graphical anomalies, and not crashes. The 3D Vision driver causes no problems for me, but that doesn't mean it can't interfere with the game for some users.
If the problem persists, you could set everything to the minimum (but the texture memory size) and see if it still crashes. If not, try experimenting with the settings until you can find a balance between visuals and stability.

Was just about to say I thought it was the ram there too. Also, thought about mentioning this, but I noticed you have a dual core processor, so I recommend that if you DO plan on upgrading your RAM to something more than 4 gb (say something like 6). Make sure you install a 64 bit operating system, because 32 bit only uses up 4gb of a PC's total RAM, so say you got 6gb of RAM, and you have 32 bit installed, your PC will only use 4 gb worth of that RAM.

Either way I go off topic a lot :/ so sorry about that. Anyway, I know it's your RAM that needs an upgrade, your graphic card is good, and processors really don't have much to do with this kind of stuff.

2GB should not be a problem. And I have run the game many times on a 2GB host and an old Athlon 64x2 slower than that one.

Random crashes or crashes when the game changes mode (as in making a save or entering the menu) are usually caused by hardware instability or driver problems. A random crash that causes a full reset, not just a crash to desktop, is different from a random crash to desktop.

This game is going to run the GPU at full power for long periods. If you have an overclocked GPU, full power will be in excess, possibly well in excess, of TDP. TDP for the 560 is already 150 watts, and an overclocked 560 is likely to draw 200 or more. That is a lot of power to draw from the power supply, and a lot of heat that must be removed by the cooling system.

So the first question is, what is the power supply you are using (make and model, not just wattage), and is the case you are using designed to allow ample movement of free air? Stock power supplies and cases in most commercially built computers are not suitable to accommodate a GTX 560, and the first program to run that GPU at full load for an extended period will be the first to reveal any deficiencies in the setup.

If you are not using 3DVision, removing it is a good idea, especially if you are running an older nVidia driver. But again it is not likely to be the cause of this problem.

DeargRuadhri said:
I have tried experimenting with settings, spent a lot of time on it, but unfortunately the result didn't come. Either it will be minimal, medium, or ultra, in any case the game continues to crash, only at the lower settings there no crashes during the gameplay, but they're here when I want to go to the menu or to make a save.

DeargRuadhri said:
Was just about to say I thought it was the ram there too. Also, thought about mentioning this, but I noticed you have a dual core processor, so I recommend that if you DO plan on upgrading your RAM to something more than 4 gb (say something like 6). Make sure you install a 64 bit operating system, because 32 bit only uses up 4gb of a PC's total RAM, so say you got 6gb of RAM, and you have 32 bit installed, your PC will only use 4 gb worth of that RAM.

Either way I go off topic a lot :/ so sorry about that. Anyway, I know it's your RAM that needs an upgrade, your graphic card is good, and processors really don't have much to do with this kind of stuff.
Thank you for the advices!

DeargRuadhri said:
2GB should not be a problem. And I have run the game many times on a 2GB host and an old Athlon 64x2 slower than that one.

Random crashes or crashes when the game changes mode (as in making a save or entering the menu) are usually caused by hardware instability or driver problems. A random crash that causes a full reset, not just a crash to desktop, is different from a random crash to desktop.

This game is going to run the GPU at full power for long periods. If you have an overclocked GPU, full power will be in excess, possibly well in excess, of TDP. TDP for the 560 is already 150 watts, and an overclocked 560 is likely to draw 200 or more. That is a lot of power to draw from the power supply, and a lot of heat that must be removed by the cooling system.

So the first question is, what is the power supply you are using (make and model, not just wattage), and is the case you are using designed to allow ample movement of free air? Stock power supplies and cases in most commercially built computers are not suitable to accommodate a GTX 560, and the first program to run that GPU at full load for an extended period will be the first to reveal any deficiencies in the setup.

If you are not using 3DVision, removing it is a good idea, especially if you are running an older nVidia driver. But again it is not likely to be the cause of this problem.
1) Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W 80 plus bronze. 2) I'm not use the 3DVision, but I have a last drivers for my videocard from www.nvidia.com.

jddimafx said:
1) Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W 80 plus bronze. 2) I'm not use the 3DVision, but I have a last drivers for my videocard from www.nvidia.com.

I haven't had problems with the latest drivers; some have. Rolling back to the 275 WHQL drivers (you have to get them from the "beta and archived drivers" page at nVidia) might be worth a try. Later drivers screw with the power to DX11-capable cards and have been known to run overclocked cards too hot.

That power supply is not well regarded, and that's putting it mildly ("more waves than a Jersey salon"). Not even Hardware Secrets, which usually publishes puff pieces instead of serious tests, recommends this power supply. HEC-made Thermaltakes (including that exact model) should not be used in any application where high-power components must be served. They do not provide satisfactory regulation at loads far less than that fiction printed on the label, and regulation problems are exactly the manner of problems that cause random hard failures.

If you don't have a crate of spare power supplies, it's hard to start by fingering the power supply as a likely cause. But in this case, it is likely, so replacing that Thermaltake with a known good make and model of power supply, even of the minimum needed wattage, is one of the next steps you could take.
(I use FSP-made Thermaltakes as cheap replacements in old computers that have no particular power demand. But that's as far as I'll use them at all.)

Guy N'wah, I forgot to say about my case. It's too Thermaltake Matrix VX (Aluminium, 2 fans). But how I know, there I have no problems with cooling system, so I think that exactly this isn't a problem of crushing. =\

jddimafx said:
Guy N'wah, I forgot to say about my case. It's too Thermaltake Matrix VX (Aluminium, 2 fans). But how I know, there I have no problems with cooling system, so I think that exactly this isn't a problem of crushing. =\

That case isn't a problem, unless there are some really weird layout issues in your particular build. It's not a great case for really large graphics cards, but the 560 is pretty compact. It doesn't raise a concern in my mind. Unfortunately, it is known for a hindrance that limits the length of power supplies that you might substitute.

But that power supply does look like a possible problem.

GuyN said:
That case isn't a problem, unless there are some really weird layout issues in your particular build. It's not a great case for really large graphics cards, but the 560 is pretty compact. It doesn't raise a concern in my mind. Unfortunately, it is known for a hindrance that limits the length of power supplies that you might substitute.

But that power supply does look like a possible problem.
In first time I hear such a theory... But even if - how can I fix it?

jddimafx said:
In first time I hear such a theory... But even if - how can I fix it?

By the time-honored practice of "Easter egging", which means to replace a component and hope the problem goes away when you do.

Replacing a power supply isn't cheap, though. Even though I think it's possibly the problem, I'd look for other things that could go wrong first.

A question: When the game crashes, does it:
* Crash to desktop, with no message
* Give an error dialog and crash to desktop
* Give a Blue Screen of Death
* Cause your computer to power down and reboot

GuyN said:
By the time-honored practice of "Easter egging", which means to replace a component and hope the problem goes away when you do.

Replacing a power supply isn't cheap, though. Even though I think it's possibly the problem, I'd look for other things that could go wrong first.

A question: When the game crashes, does it:
* Crash to desktop, with no message
* Give an error dialog and crash to desktop
* Give a Blue Screen of Death
* Cause your computer to power down and reboot
Emm, I bought my power supply at the last weekends... About crashing - first, crash to desktop, with no message.

Why is this marked as solved?

I have the same issue, game crashes to Desktop without any message. Playing Witcher 2 v1.2-1.35 back then the game crashed maybe once but now the Enhanced Edition cashes very often. I'm using the same settings as before.

Core i5-2500K
GTX460
8GB DDR3 RAM
nothing overclocked, no 3d Vision

TKGvR said:

I have the same issue, game crashes to Desktop without any message. Playing Witcher 2 v1.2-1.35 back then the game crashed maybe once but now the Enhanced Edition cashes very often. I'm using the same settings as before.

Core i5-2500K
GTX460
8GB DDR3 RAM
Someone accidentalli clicked POMOGL button. Nvm, I fixed it.

TKGvR said:

Core i5-2500K
GTX460
8GB DDR3 RAM
If you have the same bug with your processor and videocard, then I get started to think that this is the ingame problem... Because I thought that I just need to buy new CPU and RAM to fix this. Oh, dear CDProject Red, help us, please... :(

TKGvR said:
Someone accidentalli clicked POMOGL button. Nvm, I fixed it.
It seems that this discussion is again marked as solved.

Tommy said:

Have you tried running a diagnostic on your memory ?

Yes, but no issues there.

Like I said, when I reinstall Witcher 2 from my DVDs, apply only patches v1.x (I backuped them back then, didn't tested v2.x) and play like last year, the game runs fine without crashes. It seems something happend after EE update. I already uninstalled my retail game and reinstalled the GOG backup version, but it still crashes. Maybe I have to install an older or newer (beta) driver for my GTX. I'll do some tests the next days.

TKGvR said:

Like I said, when I reinstall Witcher 2 from my DVDs, apply only patches v1.x (I backuped them back then, didn't tested v2.x) and play like last year, the game runs fine without crashes. It seems something happend after EE update. I already uninstalled my retail game and reinstalled the GOG backup version, but it still crashes. Maybe I have to install an older or newer (beta) driver for my GTX. I'll do some tests the next days.
If you haven`t done so already make an exception in your antivirus for the Witcher 2 folder of your installation directory just in case real time scanning is affecting the game . Do you happen to know your card temps while gaming ? Also is your computer up to date with not just the windows updates but from the manufacturer of the pc and or components in your computer ?

Tommy said:
Not anymore .

Have you tried running a diagnostic on your memory ?
Everything is alright, just the same what TK_GvR said.

Tommy said:

I thought about it a lot of times, something wrong with Enhanced Edition, I just played The Witcher 2 on Steam last summer (august) on my old videocard (ATI Radeon x1900 PRO overclocked), and there was no crashes.

Tommy said:
When installing the EE did any errors appear in either the download or GOG version ?

Everything is up to date and there where no errors neither with the dvd installation nor the GOG installation.

I guess I have to try some other nvidia drivers.

Top Bottom