Problems with graphics + cursor lag

+
Problems with graphics + cursor lag

After the superb Witcher1, I was so looking forward to Witcher2. Great reviews and great packaging (Premium Edition)
with a very good price. What a total complete fiasco. After 2 days and many patches I get the game to load, only to discover it's unplayable due to cursor lag and jerky (but beautiful)graphics. Bandainamco Games and CDPROJEKT have lost all the good reputation they had built up. This release is a disgrace! It reminded me of Football Manager a few years back. They released a turkey. My wife has also had trouble with Skyrim recently. Are games companies so greedy for money that they are willing to risk their reputation by releasing games before they are ready? I expect to be able to take a game out of the box and play it without needing to download endless patches - and then still not have a playable game. My computer has no trouble with other games and works fine - even football manager!!!Us gamers are being taken for granted and exploited. You wouldnt buy a television that was unwatchable would you? Game companies need regulating. I am writing to my Member of Parliament, and the media with this complaint and will be using The Witcher2 as a prime example. Get your finger out and get this game fixed. It looks as tho it could be a classic - IF we are ever able to play it.

Forum veteran
You should send an angry email to support@namcobandaigames.com

Really spam that shit. Let them feel the rage.

In the meantime, you can post system specs in the TW2 tech support subforum and there are those who can recommend settings that could potentially make the game playable (assuming your graphic card isn't below minimum specs).

TambourineMan said:
I expect to be able to take a game out of the box and play it without needing to download endless patches - and then still not have a playable game.

Fancy a console, then?

TambourineMan said:
... only to discover it's unplayable due to cursor lag and jerky (but beautiful)graphics...
What does that mean in detail?

You can soothe your nerves by
# take a deep breath
# tell us you system specs
# tell us the details of your technical problem / error messages

TambourineMan said:
After the superb Witcher1, I was so looking forward to Witcher2. Great reviews and great packaging (Premium Edition)
with a very good price. What a total complete fiasco. After 2 days and many patches I get the game to load, only to discover it's unplayable due to cursor lag and jerky (but beautiful)graphics. Bandainamco Games and CDPROJEKT have lost all the good reputation they had built up. This release is a disgrace! It reminded me of Football Manager a few years back. They released a turkey. My wife has also had trouble with Skyrim recently. Are games companies so greedy for money that they are willing to risk their reputation by releasing games before they are ready? I expect to be able to take a game out of the box and play it without needing to download endless patches - and then still not have a playable game. My computer has no trouble with other games and works fine - even football manager!!!Us gamers are being taken for granted and exploited. You wouldnt buy a television that was unwatchable would you? Game companies need regulating. I am writing to my Member of Parliament, and the media with this complaint and will be using The Witcher2 as a prime example. Get your finger out and get this game fixed. It looks as tho it could be a classic - IF we are ever able to play it.

Did you... Try to lower the graphics?

TambourineMan said:

Three questions for you.

1. What are your computer specs?
2. When exactly do you experience the lag? is it all the time? or only at certain parts?
3. What graphic settings are you using to play the game (low, medium, high, or ultra).

I am currently playing the game now and after getting an issue sorted out with lag happening while fighting three or more enemies,(turning the decal setting to medium), I am now able to play the game on high lag free so far. So it is either because you have the graphic settings to high or your computer may not be able to support the game and it could be a simple fix like getting a new graphics card. But giving us more information will help get you to a solution and hopefully a lag free experience.

Hello, I have this setup
Dell Inspiron 531
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB
4GB dual channel memory
Windows 7 Home Premium

When I run Witcher 2 Configuration, I get the Low spec config set.

Right now I have it at 640x480, Enabled, 4:3, Low spec.
It starts just fine, (I have Fraps running, virus disabled,1.4GB free memory)
The game itself is playable at 32fps but the text is unreadable.
if I bump up to 1024x768 the rate drops into the teens, is fairly readable
but unplayable.

I cant seem to find a happy medium. I updated all my drivers and
now I am at a loss.

Lt

LtRav3nw00d said:
Hello, I have this setup
Dell Inspiron 531
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB
4GB dual channel memory
Windows 7 Home Premium

When I run Witcher 2 Configuration, I get the Low spec config set.

Right now I have it at 640x480, Enabled, 4:3, Low spec.
It starts just fine, (I have Fraps running, virus disabled,1.4GB free memory)
The game itself is playable at 32fps but the text is unreadable.
if I bump up to 1024x768 the rate drops into the teens, is fairly readable
but unplayable.

I cant seem to find a happy medium. I updated all my drivers and
now I am at a loss.

Lt

Ok before we go any further go to this website and test the witcher 2 and see if your computer can handle the minimum specs. I am not 100 percent sure if those specs can support it so this will tell you in about 10 seconds. My guess would be that if you cannot run it on low with a low resolution you may not be able to run it this site will let you know for sure.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

My guess would be you need a better graphics card.

That site is crap. It will not tell you anything that is true about whether or not you can run TW2. Please do not recommend it.

The problem is your graphics card. The 9500 GT is well below the minimum requirement for the game. It is about as low as you can go and get the game to play at all. The CPU is minimum as well, but the graphics card is what is holding you back.

Try setting:

Low settings.
Disable full screen (causes the game to run in a window).
Resolution 1280x720 (seems to work better than other low resolutions).

Windowed 1280x720 seems to be a good mode for below-spec graphics cards, and you don't get the distortion and text smearing that you do at 4:3 resolutions. I have a similar rig (AMD 5570, not the 9500 GT; my 9500 GT came down with a case of ruptured capacitors), and it plays medium at that resolution, while it wouldn't even play decently at low on 1280x1024 or 1024x768.

GuyN said:
That site is crap. It will not tell you anything that is true about whether or not you can run TW2. Please do not recommend it.

The problem is your graphics card. The 9500 GT is well below the minimum requirement for the game. It is about as low as you can go and get the game to play at all. The CPU is minimum as well, but the graphics card is what is holding you back.

Try setting:

Low settings.
Disable full screen (causes the game to run in a window).
Resolution 1280x720 (seems to work better than other low resolutions).

Windowed 1280x720 seems to be a good mode for below-spec graphics cards, and you don't get the distortion and text smearing that you do at 4:3 resolutions. I have a similar rig (AMD 5570, not the 9500 GT; my 9500 GT came down with a case of ruptured capacitors), and it plays medium at that resolution, while it wouldn't even play decently at low on 1280x1024 or 1024x768.

That site works just fine for figuring out if your computer can run a game. It will let you know what is lacking if your computer is unable to. For the witcher 2 it does not have the recommended settings but for most games it does so for the most part it is a good resource to have to get an idea if your computer will work. All I was saying is he could use it to determine if his computer could play the game at the preset low settings and it would have showed him that he couldn't. It is a good resource but one should not mindlessly follow it.

WitcherFan8574 said:
That site works just fine for figuring out if your computer can run a game. It will let you know what is lacking if your computer is unable to. For the witcher 2 it does not have the recommended settings but for most games it does so for the most part it is a good resource to have to get an idea if your computer will work. All I was saying is he could use it to determine if his computer could play the game at the preset low settings and it would have showed him that he couldn't. It is a good resource but one should not mindlessly follow it.

No, in plain words, it does not do even a minimal job of determining with any accuracy at all whether your computer can run a game. In particular, it does not properly discriminate among graphics cards, and Windows Vista and 7 fool it completely. In fact, it will tell him that he can run the game when his computer actually fails an important minimum requirement.

No, he cannot use it to determine whether it will run the game, and advising people to believe the results of "Can You Run It" will result in disappointment. It's happened too many times on this forum already.

secondchildren said:
Alright, please, do not hijack this thread. There's a user asking for tech help :)

Actually, he was raving about how unplayable the game was and blamed the developers for it.

OK then ... calmed down a bit ...

being an elder member of the gaming community I'm not anywhere au fait with the technical stuff ... I love the "new" technology but havent the energy nor inclination to learn the new tech stuff.I expect to pay my money, open the box, insert the disc, load the game and play. Us "silver surfers" are used to buying products that are FIT FOR PURPOSE when bought. I have an x-box, PS3, PC, laptop, iPod and iPad ... oh and a Kindle. I love the new stuff but only when it works.

TW2 doesnt run on my pc or laptop.

Laptop specs

Samsung RV511
Intel (R) Core (TM) i5CPU, M480@2.67 GHz, 400GB Ram, 64Bit OS, 500GB Hard Drive
Windows 7 Premium, Nvidia GeForce 315m with CUDA

Hope that helps. I play a lot of games and really enjoyed Witcher 1.

I have tried the game on low medium and high settings.

TambourineMan said:
OK then ... calmed down a bit ...

being an elder member of the gaming community I'm not anywhere au fait with the technical stuff ... I love the "new" technology but havent the energy nor inclination to learn the new tech stuff.I expect to pay my money, open the box, insert the disc, load the game and play. Us "silver surfers" are used to buying products that are FIT FOR PURPOSE when bought. I have an x-box, PS3, PC, laptop, iPod and iPad ... oh and a Kindle. I love the new stuff but only when it works.

TW2 doesnt run on my pc or laptop.

Laptop specs

Samsung RV511
Intel (R) Core (TM) i5CPU, M480@2.67 GHz, 400GB Ram, 64Bit OS, 500GB Hard Drive
Windows 7 Premium, Nvidia GeForce 315m with CUDA

Hope that helps. I play a lot of games and really enjoyed Witcher 1.

I have tried the game on low medium and high settings.

Well your graphics card is far below anything that could be used for playing TW2.
It's difficult or sometimes even impossible to upgrade the graphics part in a laptop... I guess with this system, there is no way that you could get this game to run reasonably.
You mentioned a PC, do you have any more info on the hardware in it?

The pc has lower specs than the laptop. Not to worry. Many thanks for your help. I'll have to wait for the X-Box version - meanwhile back to TW1 and Scourge of War -Gettysburg. TW2 looks to be a great game. One day ....

TambourineMan said:
The pc has lower specs than the laptop. Not to worry. Many thanks for your help. I'll have to wait for the X-Box version - meanwhile back to TW1 and Scourge of War -Gettysburg. TW2 looks to be a great game. One day ....

On more powerful hardware, it already is ;-)

I did try that site and lo in behold it failed :(
It did fail on the video card even though it passed the Minimum attributes.

I shall try the window rec from Guy and see how that goes.

I really should have gone with a DIY PC but ya have to do
with ya have.

Not that it makes any diff ? or not ?
I have these 2 monitors.
HP ZR24w & NEC MultiSync FP1370 hooked up to the 9500.

Oh well I gave it a shot and it looks better at 16:9
but its still barely playable.

When I installed the original released version of Witcher 2
it played just fine at medium spec at low 30's fps
but each successive patch seems to have slowed it down.

I think what is needed here is this..
Cloud Gaming.
I have a game and this is the min specs. I pay for the graphics processing
and CPU. If I want the ULTRA I pay more for more.

Perhaps this ?
I pay for a frame, the frame has x slots for memory, GPU, CPU and storage.
I req what I need for a given situation.

LtRav3nw00d said:
I think what is needed here is this..
Cloud Gaming.
I have a game and this is the min specs. I pay for the graphics processing
and CPU. If I want the ULTRA I pay more for more.

Perhaps this ?
I pay for a frame, the frame has x slots for memory, GPU, CPU and storage.
I req what I need for a given situation.

Interesting idea. The main obstacle is bandwidth. Real-time games push a lot of pixels from the GPU to the screen. In the cloud model, some encoding of those pixels is going to have to traverse the network.

(Before compression, you need 125 MByte/sec to maintain 1920 x 1080 x 30 fps, even if you already reduced the color to 6:6:4. You're going to need damn good encoding to get a real-time game over even a DS-3 service.)

There already are some streaming services (e.g. onlive), but the games look really crappy due to compression and you still get a hell of an input lag.

Top Bottom