New fan with questions

+
New fan with questions

Hi,i just recently started to get interest in "The Witcher" universe,i saw some gameplays,reviews and some other things,when i saw the first trailer on E3 i was like "Thats it,i m buying this",but i have some questions,could you tell me the difference between the Enhanced edition and the "normal"? And what about DRM? Is it one of those games that come with a steam key in the box? I heard great things about CD Projekt,i dont know if it s a rumor,but,is it true that The Witcher 3 will be DRM-free?

Oh,and yes,i m a DRM and Steam hater...dont blame me :D

Hi, and welcome to the forums :)/>/>

vladxd said:
Hi,i just recently started to get interest in "The Witcher" universe,i saw some gameplays,reviews and some other things,when i saw the first trailer on E3 i was like "Thats it,i m buying this",but i have some questions,could you tell me the difference between the Enhanced edition and the "normal"?

The Enhanced Edition (EE) is simply the name given to version 3.0, which included additional content. Anyone who has a legal copy of the game can get this version at no extra cost. If you're buying a boxed copy, the advantage in getting EE is just that you need to do less patching to get it up-to-date. All of the DLC that's ever been offered for the game is free and automatically included when you patch, if you do have an older version.

And what about DRM? Is it one of those games that come with a steam key in the box?

No, you don't just get a steam key in the box. You get the game itself. :)/>/>
But be warned - if it's an old version, it will take a LOT of downloading to get it up-to-date (I think it's around 15GB). The original version MUST be patched before it can be used, because the original 1.0 version had DRM. The EE version doesn't have DRM.

The only way of getting a Steam key for it is if you buy the Steam version. And it sounds as though you're not planning to do that.

I heard great things about CD Projekt,i dont know if it s a rumor,but,is it true that The Witcher 3 will be DRM-free?

We don't know 100% regarding the boxed versions. The Steam version probably will have standard Steam DRM. The download version from Gog, which is CDPR's sister company, will definitely NOT have any kind of DRM. That's been confirmed already.

With the first two games, if you buy a new copy from any of the other legal sources (Steam, retail, Amazon, whatever), you can register it at Gog and get to download the DRM-free version at no extra cost. We don't know yet if this will also be possible for TW3.

As soon as you install and fully update the game, you automatically get the Enhanced Edition. CD Projekt is cool like that and they simply add new content without cost.

CD Projekt are also outspoken against DRM, just like you and me. However they can't control all of their distribution methods. So the Steam version has DRM, and the boxed version of both games originally came with DRM (but it was removed after some patches).

The one place to go for DRM-free game is GOG.com. Good Old Games, as it used to be called, is CDPR's sister company and they are also against DRM. ALL their games are DRM free, including The Witcher.

The Witcher 2 was available day 1 DRM-free from GOG.com. And it has already been confirmed TW3 will be available DRM-free on GOG.com from day 1.

If you don't mind buying digital versions of games, get them from GOG.com. Not only does your money actually go to the devs, but you will also get fully DRM-free versions of both games, with a TON of extras that not even Steam has to offer.

If you do buy the games through steam, you get a backup copy of the game for GOG.com. So you pretty much get two copies of the games.

Thanks guys,i will buy a physical copy of both games as soon as i can.
CD Projekt is now officially my personal favorite company.

You also get a GOG.com backup if you buy a boxed version of either game. If you have a stable and relatively fast internet connection, this is a good choice to always get the latest, most updated version of the game.

Top Bottom