Differences between Steam and GOG versions (spoilers!)

+
Differences between Steam and GOG versions (spoilers!)

Hi guys, i'm wondering if someone can shed some light on this, because it's got me beat. Now, i originally bought Witcher 2 on Steam, i played it through, doing both Iorveth's and Roche's paths.
Recently i downloaded the game via GOG.com, and i just finished Iorveth's path. Right away i started noticing differences between the games, and i don't mean to do with censorship, because there wasn't much difference there.
It is the exact same version (enhanced ed), and all i have is the combat rebalance mod, which i had on the Steam one also. It's also the same difficulty level.

The main difference is the dialogue. The GOG version has more options to ask, to talk, the conversation is more... 'entire', more detailed.

SPOILERS:

The other major difference is the end of Iorveth's path, in the Steam version, i had the option to either save or leave/kill Saskia. I actually had that option while standing there looking at her inpaled on that stake. The GOG version, i didn't. I automatically saved her. Then she asked me that i still looked ready to fight. And i had the option to say 'i'm always cautious' or 'i don't trust you'. I didn't have that in the Steam version. I don't understand why this played out this way. Was it due to any previous actions? Or are you always meant to save Saskia?

Now the converstation with Letho, the GOG version, i had a million and one questions and dialogue options, and i learnt a lot more than i did in the Steam version.

Does anyone know why there are these differences? And why they would occur? I just don't get it. I feel like i have 2 different games. Just really wierd.

Last edited:
It's nothing to do with whether it's the Steam or GOG version, it's the options you took. The dialogue files, the quest files, all data in the two versions is identical.
The action with Saskia depends on whether you took the Philippa or Triss choice. If you rescued Triss, or if you were on Roche path, you get the choice of killing the dragon or letting her go. The dialogue is different on Roche path because you don't know the dragon's identity. If you took the Philippa choice and have the dagger, you will let Saskia go.

Oops. I kinda feel a bit stupid, since i know choices affect the game. Maybe i'm just underestimating how much. I guess i thought they'd be more evidant.
Currently i have only done Iorveth's path on this GOG version. But i had both paths done in the Steam one, so yes, i know the 2 are very different.
Hmm, to me, right from the start (well, not the first frame, but pretty soon into the game) it just felt different, people just seemed to say more. Maybe i'm imagining things...it just seems different, that's all.

Steam or GOG don't have anything to do with that. Most of your decisions have consequences, even the ones you may think are insignificant so if you chose a bit differently that may change quite a lot.

I modded the game a few times before REDKit came out, and I've had to do binary-level file comparisons of the data files several times. There were definitely no differences.

Thanks a lot for your replies guys :) I guess my memory's playing tricks on me.

...Most of your decisions have consequences, even the ones you may think are insignificant so if you chose a bit differently that may change quite a lot.

Yes, i didn't know just how much.

I actually wish the game told you why things are like they are, what decisions caused them, for eg, when a quest ended, or when a decision no longer has an effect on the game.

Top Bottom