High heels vs character-believability and respect

+
There is nothing strange at all about having a character change appearances between scenes, and it would actually be bizzare if it didn't happen. Now there may be a set design a character has in the bulk of scenes they appear in like travel clothes.
As I wrote, I'll be happy to see characters changing clothes. It's just uncommon in games.

The design isn't even that provocative. Or are we going to force modern standards on something that is based around lawless times? yes, that would really make a lot of sense...........................

One of the primary reasons games are getting more boring, is because characters end up looking like some one you would see walking down a high street.
That defeats the whole point of playing a game in the first place.

Last edited:
The design isn't even that provocative. Or are we going to force modern standards on something that is based around lawless times? yes, that would really make a lot of sense...........................

One of the primary reasons games are getting more boring, is because characters end up looking like some one you would see walking down a high street.
That defeats the whole point of playing a game in the first place.

You only play games to see people in bizarre clothes..?

You only play games to see people in bizarre clothes..?
You are missing the point.
The tomb raider and far cry 3 support cast were really rather bland. As result no one cared about them.
It's about haveing strong character designs that make you more involved in what is going on.

Consider this. What characters from games do you end up remebering in the long run and are still talked about?
The walking dead is one of the few exceptions, that have regular people.

The design of geralt and the last of us is done in such a way to make them more appealing and stand out.
If they were in a group of people you wouldn't have much issue picking them out.

The same for ciri.. If she was in a modern day outfit it would be impossible to mistake her for some one else.

Designs like Geralt are becoming less common.

For instance: Deslin from second son isn't a strong enough design for the game to stand the test of time.
It would come down to being first party and his powers/ gameplay.

Aiden from watch dogs would more then likely be remembered more than the game it's self etc

Last edited:
I just finished reading the books and I must admit that Ciri imho is not the smartest one and somewhat of a show off. Therefore unpractical high heels are certainly in line with her character from the books.
On the other side she was a stupid (though powerful) brat in the books, but meanwhile she has grown into an adult woman. So it should be assumed she behaves somewhat more rational and thoughtful. But well we will see how they will portray her in the game. Depending on that it will show if her choice of boots actually fit her personality or not.

On the other side she was a stupid (though powerful) brat in the books, but meanwhile she has grown into an adult woman. So it should be assumed she behaves somewhat more rational and thoughtful.

How did you get from there... .... to all the way over there?

Sheesh, this thread is still going at 25 pages. Seriously, you guys are complaining about what? Half an inch too much heel?

CDPR must be doing something very right to leave us so little to complain about!

This indeed. So much ado about nothing. Has it even been established that whatever she's wearing is specifically her combat gear? Heck, for all we know, the circumstances that caused her to go on the run would be similar to having to fend off home invaders while in pajamas. Sure it's not ideal combat gear, but it's whatever you had on at the time.

As I wrote, I'll be happy to see characters changing clothes. It's just uncommon in games.
One thing that I really liked about GTA V was the fact that the main characters changed cloth and lived their regular lives when you switched between them. One time I left Trevor in a respectable male clothing, an when I switched back to him he was in a women's dress on top of a hill throwing up. CDPR really cares about the believability of the world, and this is something they need to implement. I think open world games should all implement this, because it really helps the believability of characters and the world itself.

This indeed. So much ado about nothing. Has it even been established that whatever she's wearing is specifically her combat gear? Heck, for all we know, the circumstances that caused her to go on the run would be similar to having to fend off home invaders while in pajamas. Sure it's not ideal combat gear, but it's whatever you had on at the time.

It maybe a pajama out of bed situation yeah but we're saying she better change those boots after she get's better. We've already debunked all the reasons why she shouldn't have them on.
@frostbringer all I ask is that the characters refer to her absurdity in some way

I think that the reasons she shouldn't have them on have truly been debunked... but...
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I do not mean to pry, but you don't by any chance happen to have six fingers on your right hand?

We've already debunked all the reasons why she shouldn't have them on.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Serious response, I'm someone who values the gameplay and story of the witcher over trivialities of impractical shoes on a fictional character.

This. All this focusing on such a trivial detail boggles my mind. If we're talking about respect, what kind of respect does it show to boil someone down to how high their heels are? I'll spend my time getting to know her character, rather than scrutinizing her footwear! Just like in real life. Do the complainer's respect for people in real life depend on what those people wear? I hope not!

I demand Ciri bikini combat-bra DLC :p

Serious response, I'm someone who values the gameplay and story of the witcher over trivialities of impractical shoes on a fictional character.

There, fixed it for you. Such DLC would certainly make Zorn happy. ;)

But back ot the serious point, I totally agree with you. I may poke fun at it at times, but it really doesn't bother me in the end.

I'll tell you what I think respect means, when it concerns a fictional character.

Respect means you respect the character as he or she is portrayed by the author. In art forms such as fantasy, that respect extends to willing suspension of disbelief.

Claiming you believe a treatment of the character is disrespecful because you know better is substituting your judgment for the author's. Whether you are right or not, unless you are a well qualified author or critic, it is above your station and mine.

Last edited:
How did you get from there... .... to all the way over there?
Well the first part is what I observed in the books and the second part is what I simply assume her personality would be now after some years have passed. But well like I said that she would be mature and rational now is just my personal assumption and we will have to see how CdProjekt actually portrays her.

It maybe a pajama out of bed situation yeah but we're saying she better change those boots after she get's better. We've already debunked all the reasons why she shouldn't have them on.
@frostbringer all I ask is that the characters refer to her absurdity in some way
Yep agree to that. Wearing high heels in such an environment is obviously stupid, but doesn´t mean CdProjekt does something wrong with that, since either her personality or circumstances fit her choice of footwear.

I'd agree with you OP but this is the witcher! The book and the games make women all about the sex appeal its like everything is practical until it comes to them in the books the author spends lots of sentences "lovingly" ogling his female characters you can tell which ones he finds appealing like giving sorceresses at a party dresses so sheer they should've just shown up to the party naked as they would've achieved the same result with the fact they also wore no underwear, or how when he focuses on Ciri he can't help but talk about her her breast jiggling its annoying and when he talks about the majority of men they're given next to no characterization for features beyond ugly scar, crooked nose, smelly muscle man and don't even get names their names are primarily based on their prominent features like double chin guy or hairy nose man.

I wish they would just you know keep the outfits of the women in your squad and important ones practical and not toss in sex scenes for the sake of it like we get between Owl woman and her lover you know it wasn't there for anything but candy segment and Geralt hoping to get laid by the women obviously not interested in him. Sascia's kiss at least had a flimsy point to it. Seeing Triss's new outfit placed it back into pandering category once it was liveable in 2 it was a pretty out fit that let it be sexy without shoving it in your face.

I can at least see heels on sorceresses just because they're a fashion show type of circle but when you leave the tower to go to the field flat boots you think would be the new thing. Ciri though has no excuse to fall into fashionista land because of her job she fights and flat boots like you pointed out is ideal, its bad enough she's got a waist cincher on that would effect her breathing and maneuverability! She could've been made a whole lot worse by the book standards on women, she could've been made worse by gaming industry standards, but at least she's not down right exposing her chest, stomach, or legs which at least is the silver lining here. She could break her heel but with gaming standards and female characters she's as practical as she'll probably ever would be considering the alternatives. Hopefully CD will consider women's wear like they do the men and think does this allow for the characters to perform all aspects of their jobs 100% or does it hamper them in ways like cause underperformance of their person like heels and exposed skin does in battle or is this outfit design there done solely for pandering purposes if so you should rethink it so they match better to the males clothing or protective gear in your story.

Last edited:
Whether you consider Ciri to be a witcher or not, makes no difference. She is a swordfighter, and a bloody good one at that. Her fighting-style is the same as the witchers use, and I am flabbergasted (as our friend Johnny would say) that the very talented people designing the characters for TW3 decided to give her high heeled boots!
Hey man, are you saying heels aren't the best type of shoe/boot to wear when using a sword? I think Raiden from MGS4 and Metal gear rising would like a word with you about that. http://i.imgur.com/euw2TzV.jpg

Women wearing high heels in TW3 is nothing compared to this
Talking about respecting women in video games huh?
Kojima wanted a naked sniper but no doubt that would get an AO rating if she was nude. I don't see the big deal about how she's dressed. No different than Vamp being shirtless and very sexual the entire game of MGS2 and 4. She's also one of the most powerful characters in MGS going from the TGS gameplay who could kick every single person on Mother Bases ass (And they show her killing soldiers at mother base). What's odd to me is that tons of people have a bigger issue with the way a women is dressed than torture or child soldiers being in the game. Nobody seemed to have an issue with Vamp being sexualized in MGS, or the crotch grabbing in MGS3, or the scene in Peace Walker where Big Boss in Miller are in their under wear on a beach. Seems like the same way with The Witcher 3. Nevermind about all the violence and horrific stuff going on, the women wearing heels is apparently a bigger issue than all of that other content.

Last edited:
Hey man, are you saying heels aren't the best type of shoe/boot to wear when using a sword? I think Raiden from MGS4 and Metal gear rising would like a word with you about that. http://i.imgur.com/euw2TzV.jpg

Yes, because Metal Gear Rising is a shining example of a believable/realistic game =P

I don't have any problem with fighters wearing high heels in games like MGR:R or Bayonetta, because those games don't even try to pretend to be believable in any way. It's a problem in The Witcher, because this franchise is one of the most believable fantasy universes around. Ciri is skilled, and she has some abilities that definitely go against reality, but these abilities don't have anything to do with her physical capabilities. She could still jump to other dimensions if she was in a wheelchair. She was still almost killed from a slash to the face from a throwing-star, and she could still get tripped up on uneven terrain, so she should definitely wear shoes that wouldn't hamper her ability to move. High heels are definitely a terrible idea for any sword-fighter to wear, especially a witcher who uses an especially flashy fighting-style.

Top Bottom