Game of Thrones by Telltale Games

+

So yeah, I'm most likely getting this. They're in desperate need of a new engine though, this just doesn't look right. It's also worth noting that this one will be 6 episodes long, instead of the standard 5.

I just bought it. :p
10 cool full games for jsut $70 is not bad, incluiding this gem. I'll probably play the first chapter during the weekend, and then post my thoughts here...
If you arent afraI of VERY MILD SPOILERS, you can check this video below. It's a "breakout" of the launch trailer. It details which characters will you play as and which ones you will most possibly interact with. It's a cool video. :)
[video=youtube;zS_p-eIsVv0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS_p-eIsVv0[/video]
Also, the you-tuber is giving away a code for the game in each of his game-of-thrones-related-videos, which is extra cool. :p

Last edited:
Okay, so I played through episode 1, it's still a Telltale game through and through, so if you don't like them, this won't win you over. You seem to make quite a few 'important' choices here, but I can already see them pushing events in a certain direction that ensures those choices don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. I suppose, since events in the game are happening at the same time as the events in the books/show, there's not a lot you could change, really. And that's a shame.

So yeah, it's... a Telltale game. Set in the Game of Thrones universe and... that's about it. They've managed to make it feel like GoT, so that's good, but I get the sense that they're trying too hard to make you feel clever during conversations with the likes of Cersei.

I suppose the one thing that's unusual here for a Telltale game (apart from their recently released Borderlands... thing) is that you get to play as several characters instead of just one. It's something that certainly helps with the idea that you're playing a GoT game and should mean that most types of players will find at least one section that is satisfying to them. You get to have the brave hero experience, the troubled leader one and "playing the game" one.

Anyway, I enjoyed the first episode, it felt sufficiently Game of Thrones-y, though I hope to see some more in-depth mechanics and a pay-off for all those 'tough decisions.' If they keep reusing the same formula (especially on the same horrible engine,) they won't have my support for much longer.

Hm. I admired Walking Dead but never got more than 20 minutes in. Felt clumsy and...structured. Too bad, I know. This seems to use a similar motif, yes? Reptile says so, but he is a notorious liar.

Hm. I admired Walking Dead but never got more than 20 minutes in. Felt clumsy and...structured. Too bad, I know. This seems to use a similar motif, yes? Reptile says so, but he is a notorious liar.

I would say it is not as clumsy as the system in the original Walking Dead, but the game is definitely as structured, if not more.

If you really like the talky bits in an RPG (keep in mind, almost every time you need to make a choice here, you have a limited time to pick a reply, except for a few places where silence is not, in fact, a valid option) and don't mind having minimal amount of gameplay, which consists of doing fairly simple QTEs and occasionally getting to walk around and click on items/people that give you extra information, then you'll have a good time with this first episode of the game.

Last edited:
Okay, so I played through episode 1, it's still a Telltale game through and through, so if you don't like them, this won't win you over. You seem to make quite a few 'important' choices here, but I can already see them pushing events in a certain direction that ensures those choices don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. I suppose, since events in the game are happening at the same time as the events in the books/show, there's not a lot you could change, really. And that's a shame.

So yeah, it's... a Telltale game. Set in the Game of Thrones universe and... that's about it. They've managed to make it feel like GoT, so that's good, but I get the sense that they're trying too hard to make you feel clever during conversations with the likes of Cersei.

I suppose the one thing that's unusual here for a Telltale game (apart from their recently released Borderlands... thing) is that you get to play as several characters instead of just one. It's something that certainly helps with the idea that you're playing a GoT game and should mean that most types of players will find at least one section that is satisfying to them. You get to have the brave hero experience, the troubled leader one and "playing the game" one.

Anyway, I enjoyed the first episode, it felt sufficiently Game of Thrones-y, though I hope to see some more in-depth mechanics and a pay-off for all those 'tough decisions.' If they keep reusing the same formula (especially on the same horrible engine,) they won't have my support for much longer.
Good to know few things, but
since events in the game are happening at the same time as the events in the books/show
Which book exactly? Because I'm reading the 3rd book, and I'm avoiding any possible spoiler (I don't watch the tv series)

Book 3 and onwards.
Damn. Thanks.

Guess I'll skip this until I finish reading the books.

Damn. Thanks.

Guess I'll skip this until I finish reading the books.

If you finish book 3, you should be good to go for episode 1, at least. I'm just not sure how far down the story they're going to go in later episodes, right now it's just book 3 (latter half.) The show itself just got done with book 3, so I can't imagine they'll go further than that in the game.

Last edited:
If you finish book 3, you should be good to go for episode 1, at least. I'm just not sure how far down the story they're going to go in later episodes, right now it's just book 3 (latter half.)
Mh good, given that I have ~900 pages left and I usually play Telltale games when all episodes are out (except for TWAU, I played 4 episodes and waited for the fifth), I guess I could do it then.

Mh good, given that I have ~900 pages left and I usually play Telltale games when all episodes are out (except for TWAU, I played 4 episodes and waited for the fifth), I guess I could do it then.

I actually could not wait for the walking dead season 2, I had to wait for each episode, never again, Telltale, never again ....

No wonder, we'll have five playable characters.
Oops, sorry, now only four

Last edited by a moderator:
No wonder, we'll have five playable characters.
Oops, sorry, now only four

That whole thing felt a bit forced to me. I made that twat get all the men ready to prevent just that. How does Snow get away with the murder of a Lord in his own house, when he's supposed to be surrounded by soldiers? Didn't even let his men through the gate.

Last edited:
The graphics. The "blur" effect in the environment. Damn this game is ugly. Even the animations are the worst coming from Telltale. It's like they don't care since GoT is jackpot whatever they'll do.
I really hope the first episode won't be the best of the serie like TWAU, because there isn't much to see here, apart from the writing slightly above average (I liked the first episode of TWAU, but not the rest).
Also, still no option for AZERTY keyboards, no other subtitles than english.

However.... I had fun watching my wife playing it. She's not used to this type of game, she has to go to bed but she's so angry that she won't be able to sleep for hours :) best part of the game and worth every penny.

Two months and a half of patience now...

Episode 2 Trailer, contains MINOR SPOILERS for Episode 1:

Should be coming out on Feb 3rd.

Last edited:
2nd episode was way better than ep. 1 in my opinion.
Good rhythm and dialogs overall. Graphics and fx still amazingly terrible, compared to other Telltale games. Some facial expressions were nice.
I liked the new characters and it didn't take too long to fit my "choices" into the dialogs, even if I find it hard to get into every characters.

Top Bottom