The Witcher 3 HUD and UI

+
Strange, I just read on GAF that the question marks (undiscovered points of interest) on the minimap are not toggleable in the settings. That would be a shame since I was planning to turn them off initially, and then maybe turn them on at the end of the game when I feel like I've explored everything to see if I've missed anything.

It's possible that the guy simply passed this option, and in fact it's there.

---------- Updated at 12:01 PM ----------

Or maybe some question marks will appear regardless of the settings when you read books or hear something about locations from NPSs.

Last edited:
Is there an option to hide everything but the minimap when exploring but then show everything such as health when in combat without changing the settings every time???

Strange, I just read on GAF that the question marks (undiscovered points of interest) on the minimap are not toggleable in the settings. That would be a shame since I was planning to turn them off initially, and then maybe turn them on at the end of the game when I feel like I've explored everything to see if I've missed anything.

It's possible that the guy simply passed this option, and in fact it's there.

---------- Updated at 12:01 PM ----------

Or maybe some question marks will appear regardless of the settings when you read books or hear something about locations from NPSs.

Seems like he was mistaken.

Is there an option to hide everything but the minimap when exploring but then show everything such as health when in combat without changing the settings every time???

Yes.

Several UI suggestions (with a bit of gameplay) for next patches/options/revisions

Hello. After several hours with the game, lots of suggestions to improve certain areas (specially menus and UI) have come to my mind. Hopefully most of these are quite easy to implement:

- Let's start with the main Pause screen. It's beautifully designed but not too comfortable. For quick accessibility, a wheel menu like in Dragon Age: Inquisition would be better (keeping the beautiful design of TW3, of course). Also, implementing button shortcuts in the menu could help (e.g: in pause menu, X button goes to inventory, Y = map, R2 = Alchemy, etc).

- The inventory menu is beautiful but, honestly, it's worse than in TW 2, which was already a bit cumbersome. The different categories (equipment, consumables...) make sense but are not specific enough. I would suggest to add several categories like oils, traps, subweapons, alcohols, and ALL, a category to see EVERYTHING you have on inventory.
Also, a 'SORT' option is needed, to sort inventory by time obtained, weight, cost, weight/cost, etc
The consumables that increase vitality need to show HOW MUCH vitality you can recover, not only how long the effect lasts.

- Scrolling through the different submenus (Inventory, map, etc) with LB/RB is not really intuitive or helpful. However, scrolling through the inventory categories WOULD BE very helpful. I'd love to have that changed or optional, honestly.

- The Alchemy menu would be faster to check if the categories where at both sides of the screen (so it's quicker to find and see the one you are looking for) and the details could simply appear at the bottom. Sounds like a minimal change, but everything related to 'speed and comfortability' in menus and UI is vital.

- And, finally for now, something VERY IMPORTANT in my opinion regarding combat: the menu wheel is unnecessarily slow and cumbersome having to press A button to confirm. Please add an option to change behaviour to holding the button and release on the option (like 90% of menu wheels do). It would be faster.

Another suggestions regarding the Wheel menu would be adding the option to change sword there (like a Sign). Not only would that be clearer, that would also free the left/right D-pad buttons to change signs in real time (I would love that addition and think it would be great).

- Also, before accessing meditation (both from the wheel menu or from the start menu) it would be very important to add a reminder of the alcoholest bottles you have remaining..

BTW, having different size icons in the equipment inventory looks a bit strange. Maybe the guys were planning to make also a 'space limitation' in the equipment inventory, so Geralt doesn't go around carrying 5 armors and 12 swords? If that's the case, would be a beautiful thing to recover in my opinion, making the game more realistic and serious (Geralt doesn't seem to me like the guy who would pick 20 cheap swords up from fallen enemies just to sell them for nothing at a shop).

What do you think, guys? More suggestions to add? Do you think it would be for the better, or worse?

- To improve the effect of water
- To improve the effect of rain, with mist effect

- I would use the right trigger pad type:
- Press once sign x
- Double tap sign y
- Awards three times sign z

-possibility to put unwanted objects from the junk inventory

There needs to be a separate "documents" page for books and notes. I don't like having to scroll through 30 books to find my potions. It doesn't help that there is lag in the inventory (why does loading some 2D images take several seconds?) with too many items.

Good ideas guys. The "to sell" category appears in Dragon Age Inquisition (with a different name) so you can put all equipment, ingredients, etc. you want to sell in that category as you find them, so you can sell them quickly later on. Also agreed with your suggestions guys, they are pretty good.

Mind I add a new one: some quick visual effect to remind the player when the sign can be used again, something like the green shine when drinking Swallow, but with another colour. At the moment the player is reminded of that with a single vibration on the controller, but that's not really enough in the middle of the fight (specially for KB/M users, though that's not my case).

Is there a way to hide that Overburdened icon on screen?

I am actually enjoying this overburdened camera while exploring new areas. Anyone know if that overburdened icon can be hidden? I didn't see any option in the HUD config. Any ini tweaks or something can help perhaps?

Last edited:
am actually enjoying this overburdened camera while exploring new areas. Anyone know if that overburdened icon can be hidden? I didn't see any option in the HUD config. Any ini tweaks or something can help perhaps?

Didnt understand what you mean by overburdened camera.

*cough*You can drop stuff so you are no longer overburdened and it will dissappear*cough*

Yes but then you lose the close up camera that you get by being overburdened.

One UI option I'd like is the be able to press as hold the map button to bring up the mini map. Right now I have it turned off and I really enjoy it, just sometimes in cities and villages I have a hard time finding the building I'm looking for, and I'd prefer to just bring up the mini map for a second rather than the world map.

Last edited:
Yes but then you lose the close up camera that you get by being overburdened.

One UI option I'd like is the be able to press as hold the map button to bring up the mini map. Right now I have it turned off and I really enjoy it, just sometimes in cities and villages I have a hard time finding the building I'm looking for, and I'd prefer to just bring up the mini map for a second rather than the world map.

I was just messing :)

It might be nice if we could get a totally clear screen.

What kind of HUD Configuration do you play with?

I play with everything off.. except for two things.. that is impossible to play without:
  • Display Witcher Medallion and Stat Bar
(Only way to see my vitality and that's important to know if I want to know when to eat or drink.)
  • Additional Equipment
(Because that way I'll know what I eat or drink because sometimes it runs out, same with potions.)

So what do you play with on?

PS:
I recommend you all to try play this way because you become more focused in the battle as just a battle, there is no "health bars" that you look at.. there are only beasts and men to fight..

Plus this way when you get a kill, it will feel more surprising and satisficing I think as you have no idea how much health they have left.

I have health and medalion on as well as the minimap. I always keep swallow in my quick slots so have additional equipment off. Would have current buffs on if they didn't cover the whole screen .

That would be a great idea of having everything off and then do what someone did in a Skyrim mod and the health appears when you start taking damage.

Maybe CD Projekt Red can implement this in an expansion.

That would be a great idea of having everything off and then do what someone did in a Skyrim mod and the health appears when you start taking damage.

Maybe CD Projekt Red can implement this in an expansion.
It's like that already.

Witcher Medallion and Stat Bar
Additional Equipment

Only appears when in combat or you have low vitality.

But one more thing I need on is the Underwater Breath Meter.

Right now I am playing with mini-map extras off (PoIs, Witcher sense, path to objective) and that's it.

Maybe I will try it your way. It sounds fun.

Top Bottom