Ciri as the 'Next Geralt': Yay or Nay?

+
A nice video featuring the game director of W3 on a conference. He talks about the story of W3 and how it was created.

One of the interesting pieces was how they consider not having a strong, predefined character for Cyberpunk a huge challenge (approx. minute 27).
It all depends on the success of Cyberpunk, of course, but it seems that they really like creating stories around known characters.

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/329064/The+Witcher+3+Panel:+Open+World+Storytelling+with+CDPR/
I remember reading somewhere that they weren't aiming for a predefined protagonist for Cyperpunk, as if they were going the BioWare route in terms of protagonist customization for the game. Makes sense why it would be a challenge for them considering Geralt.

A nice video featuring the game director of W3 on a conference. He talks about the story of W3 and how it was created.

One of the interesting pieces was how they consider not having a strong, predefined character for Cyberpunk a huge challenge (approx. minute 27).
It all depends on the success of Cyberpunk, of course, but it seems that they really like creating stories around known characters.

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/329064/The+Witcher+3+Panel:+Open+World+Storytelling+with+CDPR/

Yeah it'll be interesting to see how they handle it.

Well it looks like Nikolas Kolm thinks it would be a cool idea. He even suggests Zerrikania as a possibility, which is where I really want the series to go next. Looks like a custom protagonist is also something they're considering. That's pretty much what I'm expecting, Ciri, or a customized Witcher.

http://ask.fm/a/cd9g363m

Well it looks like Nikolas Kolm thinks it would be a cool idea. He even suggests Zerrikania as a possibility, which is where I really want the series to go next. Looks like a custom protagonist is also something they're considering. That's pretty much what I'm expecting, Ciri, or a customized Witcher.

Wow everything he wrote sounds awful. Prequel, more space travel bullshit and a customizable protagonist (why even call it Witcher if we can play as a sorceress)
Luckily nothing in his post indicates that this is more than his personal preference and he is "only" a questdesigner (not meant negatively)
Hopefully he doesn't have any influence on how the series continues.

Last edited:
Wow everything he wrote sounds awful. Prequel, more space travel bullshit and a customizable protagonist (why even call it Witcher if we can play as a sorceress)
Luckily nothing in his post indicates that this is more than his personal preference and he is "only" a questdesigner (not meant negatively)

What's to so against a prequel (set way before the books)? I agree on the other things though.

I think Witcher 3 is the end of the "Witcher" games. By that I mean I expect future games to keep the setting, but they'll be spinoff titles. We won't play as a Witcher in a future game, unless Ciri counts as one.

Honestly I think that would be best. The Witcher has never had all that great gameplay. Switching up the formula could be for the better.

Last edited:
What's to so against a prequel (set way before the books)? I agree on the other things though.
I would personally be pretty alright with a prequel. Either as Geralt before the short stories, or during them, or as Vesemir during the early days. Either one of them could offer interesting narrative opportunities.

Hm... Geralt is such a charismatic character ! But Ciri is also a very good one, I really can't answer. But, a prequel or a spinoff with all the characters would be great.

"if I could decide how things go exactly, in 5 years, I'd be presenting The Witcheress: Zirael to the public at E3."

Sounds good to me :D

But yeah, the other stuff not so much, a prequel would probably be nr.1 on my do not want list.

Milking the franchise, here we go. I felt like playing a dragon ball game when playing as Ciri, rather then the Witcher. Prequels are the worst and i have no desire to play as an edgy teenager Ciri. If CDPR decides to revist the Witcher franchise after CP2077, i rather have them create a completely new protagonist with own problems and agendas instead of trying to squeeze Ciri into that role. I will never understand why people find her so interesting, she is the typical chosen one. Cant hear those stories anymore. Just my two cents.

Well, he did not say all that much, and if they choose Ciri, world traveling will be mandatory as her main power.
Right now I would prefer them to concentrate on TW3, with all expansions, and to incorporate our suggestions into EE.

yay!

I believe if there is a Witcher 4 in the future then it will 100% be with Ciri as Protagonist.

Why? i dont think CDPR had no thought behind calling the Epilogue " Something Ends, something begins"
(i know thats the books epilogue aswell, but i still think there is reasoning behind this little detail)

Something Ends= Geralts tale
Something Begins= Ciris tale

The Epilogue was basically about the future of Ciri.
The Witcher ending is likely the Canon they choose (IMO) because its what she wants (Book Ciri would never ever consider becoming Empress and i dont think this point is invalid because game ciri changed blabla...we know very little about how ciri changed over the years, almost nothing tbh)
The Empress Ending never says she is crowned, so thats open aswell.
the "bad" ending never says she is dead, she just doesnt come back to Geralt.

The Overpowered Argument is something i cant understand. They made her overpowered because her flashbacks are just story, nothing else. you can't just start the fight again and craft oils, new armor, potions etc. playing as Ciri. The teleporting thing could be limited by some sort of combo points or sometihng else.

It's not like Geralt was not overpowered

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind Ciri as a main character in TW4. How about mixing it up and having 2 fully fleshed out main characters? Maybe 2nd one can be a full on magic user. And they could always say Ciri used up a lot of her power to stop the white frost to make her a little less god-like.

Nay.

I would rather they started fresh with a new MC than Ciri. She is too entrenched.

We already had an established character story continuation - it had its really good spots and really bad spots.

If CDPR would continue this franchise, I am more interested in what they could do when they aren't tied down by 7 novels and 3 previous games of character development and choices.

For example:
Some young guy who grew up to enamored of legends and wants to be a Witcher, going through the challenges of trying to basically rebuild what is kind of a dying/dead practice. There would be a LOT of potential in terms of challenges, adversities and personal growth/development that could be explored - dealing with the whole 'mutation' thing, the fact that witchers are going 'extinct' for very good reasons, the conflict of legend and harsher reality, all this with the potential White apocalypse starting up in the background

Sort of 'unbridled and naive idealism of youth VS. the Witcher setting in all of its grimy glory"

she's the obvious choice, but I think a really wrong one. the people that point out that Ciri exists on her own plane of exceptional power are correct. How do you find a way to start her t level 1 in a game and not get laughed out of the room? That's the challenge.

All good things end, and I think they need to just leave this be now. It has a very nice canon ending that should satisfy most players and perhaps it's just time to get another IP. Too many franchises and stories have been ruined by milking the cash cow one time too many. Let's not have this one do the same thing as ME3.

On a related topic, here's some article about gender and gaming. Admittedly, they only asked teenagers, but there's a clear message.
Most male and female gamers don't care too much about the sex of the protagonist. Surprisingly, the desire of female gamers to play a heroine seems bigger than the need of males to play as males.

"70% of girls said it doesn’t matter and 78% of boys said it doesn’t matter. Interestingly, boys care less about playing as a male character as they age and girls care more about playing as a female one."

RPG's also seem to be a prime genre for female gamers:

26% played first-person shooter games like Call of Duty and HALO, 36% played role-playing games like Skyrim and Grand Theft Auto, and 17% played sports games like FIFA and Madden. (19% did not play games, compared to 3% of boys.)

http://time.com/3948744/video-games-kate-upton-game-of-war-comic-con/

While we of course don't know what will be in 5 years, female protagonists (and female gamers) are a huge topic right now. Especially in media not directly related to gaming (like newspapers). I would bet 100€ that a game with Ciri would get them more free media attention than a game with a self-created protagonist.

Don't forget that she would be perhaps the only female protagonist in the whole industry that has a deep background story. She might be a bit of a Mary Sue in W3, but she has a ton of flaws in the books. Which other female in gaming comes to mind who has a story that takes more than a 5 minute intro to tell?
We've all seen how hard they try to turn Lara Croft into a believable person (and mostly failed). Like many other female heroes, she carries the burden of having been portrayed as "sex doll" previously.

Can't really think of any other developed female character who could carry a game. Sarah Kerrigan is great, but wrong genre. Japanese games have some, but I never cared about final fantasy and Resident Evil, so I can't say anything about them. Alyx Vance in Half-Life would probably be a believable heroine if put in a mech suit like Gordon Freeman. Bayonetta is just too crazy a game to count. Samus Aran deserves a honorable mention for being a female heroine back in 1986.

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/03/the-50-greatest-heroines-in-video-game-history/
http://gamerant.com/tomb-raider-video-game-women-we-respect/

If they don't fuck her game up completely, she would easily be on top of all those lists.

Please dont let this thread turn into some weird gender-gaming, sexism in gaming or gamergate bullshit. Its oversensitive, exaggerated and an entirely american topic, no one really cares about that in Europe for example.

Top Bottom