Too much hype?

+
Too much hype?

I am looking forward to this game and have been for years now. It has been eating at me that they released a teaser for the game 5 years ago and then basically went silent aside from the occasional news of loans coming in and them hiring new staff. I believe 100% in what CDPR is doing and i support them but releasing 1 teaser 5 years ago and nothing else is letting our minds wander. We come up with ideas and get excited for the game and eventually when the game does come out, we may be expecting this huge game and might end up expecting too much. I know CDPR makes amazing games and takes their time, i know in an interview one of the developers said the game will be really epic and i trust them. I really do. I'm just saying, all this time with no new trailer or screenshot, or even some sort of new information, it's making me think of new ideas they could do and i know i'm not the only one that is expecting one of the best games ever made but i'm scared that i may be expecting just a little too much. Like i said before, i trust CDPR and will definately buy the game the day it releases but i do wish they would just show us something. Let me know what you guys think.

right now: no hype. It's pretty quiet and from the sound of it, may be another couple years before this sees release. Which is depressing......! I hope CD projekt doesn't get too caught up on the visuals side. They are important, but I would rather have Witcher 3 level graphics, but with seemless loading and UI on the console side.

Will be curious how this all turns out

As for that teaser years ago: maybe they just wanted to get it 'out there' or give some spotlight time to the Mike P version

Zodima;n7948700 said:
I am looking forward to this game and have been for years now. It has been eating at me that they released a teaser for the game 5 years ago and then basically went silent aside from the occasional news of loans coming in and them hiring new staff. I believe 100% in what CDPR is doing and i support them but releasing 1 teaser 5 years ago and nothing else is letting our minds wander. We come up with ideas and get excited for the game and eventually when the game does come out, we may be expecting this huge game and might end up expecting too much. I know CDPR makes amazing games and takes their time, i know in an interview one of the developers said the game will be really epic and i trust them. I really do. I'm just saying, all this time with no new trailer or screenshot, or even some sort of new information, it's making me think of new ideas they could do and i know i'm not the only one that is expecting one of the best games ever made but i'm scared that i may be expecting just a little too much. Like i said before, i trust CDPR and will definately buy the game the day it releases but i do wish they would just show us something. Let me know what you guys think.

Not much hype its mainly hype from CDPR driving it rather than the game itself. We haven't seen anything from the game yet.

There is no "real" hype yet, but a lot people may end up building different expectations regardless, considering massive scope and mechanics of the game. Reason why I think releasing basic FAQ would be a far better option than complete silence before the game is done and marketing/last stage ( bug fixing) kicks off( I'm guessing this is their plan).
At least people will then have a more clear idea of what "kind" of game to expect, regardless of how it turns out. Better than the statements...it's going to be revolutionary!/bad ass/etc.

Zagor-Te-Nay;n7949160 said:
At least people will then have a more clear idea of what "kind" of game to expect, regardless of how it turns out. Better than the statements...it's going to be revolutionary!/bad ass/etc.

No, they will take whatever data they get and run wild with speculation. Guaranteed. Right up to release. Right now, that speculation is pretty muted. CDPR puts out anything, whoosh, off goes the train.

I still think they postponed the project or at least changed their information strategy about that. After the teaser they created the blog but after a few posts it went completely silent. My thoughts are, that they realized that they don' have the proper technology and people to do this project. During the development of TW3 they had huge problems with asset streaming etc.
Combined with the fact that they had several issues with the REDkit that also went pretty fast silent, I'd say they lacked for some good engine architects/developers.

The2ndDuesVult;n7948990 said:
Not much hype its mainly hype from CDPR driving it rather than the game itself. We haven't seen anything from the game yet.

Wuut? CDPR driving hype? More like media with their click-baity articles and gamers on social media, CDPR focusing their marketing and communication efforts on Gwent right now, and before that for Witcher 3 and expansions, they dont give a shit about Cyberpunk communication/hype wise right now. Once every six months they will give general statement about Cyberpunk 2077 development progress when media is asking while doing interview or something.

The important thing to know is that the first marketing video/trailer/gameplay is the most important (im not talking about CGI). Thats why they need to wait for the game and not rush their marketing push. And there is no good reason for them to give us information/blogs about the game without showing something more after all those years.

Last edited:
VikingStudios;n7954880 said:
I still think they postponed the project or at least changed their information strategy about that. After the teaser they created the blog but after a few posts it went completely silent. My thoughts are, that they realized that they don' have the proper technology and people to do this project. During the development of TW3 they had huge problems with asset streaming etc.
Combined with the fact that they had several issues with the REDkit that also went pretty fast silent, I'd say they lacked for some good engine architects/developers.

I don't think so... in 2012 they where right in the midst of finishing their work with Witcher 2 (first 3-4 months of the year with the console relese), and then going over to more fully work on Witcher 3 (or they might have been fully working on W3 even by the time they where finishing the console stuff for W2). By this time Cyberpunk 2077 was just in it's cradle, where all the starting bits and peices of stuff where being worked on... the things which did not interfere with the main development of Witcher 3.

Also... the blog was created befor the teaser... Around october 2012... where as the teaser was not released untill january 2013... shortly after that, the teaser, they stopped posting on the blog.

As far as I can see Cyberpunk 2077 has undergone a compleatly normal development cycle for CDPR, just like their previous games. The only thing different really here is that CDPR decided to announce that they where working on CP2077 long befor they would normally have done so for their previous games. For example... CDPR officially confirmed in 2009 that they where making Witcher 2, that was about 2 yeara after Witcher 1 came out, and 2 years befor Witcher 2 would came out. Then in february 2013 they officially announced that they where making Witcher 3, which was 2 years after Witcher 2 was released, and 2 years befor Witcher 3 was to be released.

You see the pattern here? ~4 years between each game's release, and the next game being officially announeced roughly right in the middle of that, with about 2 years befor/after game releases. By that time, the times where they officially announced the next game, they had already been working on said game for atleast 2 years, probably even as long as 3-4 years.

So Cyberpunk 2077 was not replaced in the development cycle for Witcher 3 or anything... they had already been working on Withcer 3 for at the very least 2 years, but probably 3-4 years since the start of the pre-production.

With CP2077 though, they officially announced that game LONG befor they would normally have done with a new game... if CP2077 had been Witcher 4, then CDPR would not have announced that game untill somewhere in 2017. But with CP2077 they went against their normal pattern, and announced it some 4-5 years much earlier then they would normally have done.

I think the reason for this is mostly that CP2077 would be their first AAA game that would not be a Witcher game, not to mention that it would not be a fantasy game either, but a sci-fi game. They probably felt they had to start tampering with their company early, so that they would be ready for such a switch between fantasy and sci-fi. So that teaser was not just a "Look! We are working on a Cyberpunk game" for the fans, it was also a rolecall for developers all around the gaming industry that CDPR was going to go into a whole new direction, where they would need people to bolster their ranks with people who where used to working with modern to sci-fi game stuff, and/or with people would be hyped to get to work on a game like CP2077. Things like this is not a fast process, it takes time and money to make changes like that to a company.

Unfortunatly for us, the fans, this means that we got wind of this new Cyberpunk based game that CDPR was going to make WAY befor we would normally have known about it. Sure, being fans like we are we would have over time picked up on that CPDR was hiring people for vehicles, and guns, and modern to sci-fi stuff, and what not... and then there would have been rampent speculations on what CDPR might have been working on, and that would probably have started going on since rougly around mid to late 2015 or early 2016 (when they started to put out those job openings). And it would have gone on on the Witcher forums probably, since this CP2077 forum would not have been around yet for us to use. And then those speculations would start getting even more rampant when certain known developers from various other games/devs started joining CDPR, especially the ones from sci-fi games. And then, BAM! 2017 ! And they suddenly announce that they are making a new game, not Witcher 4 though... no a sci-fi game called Cyberpunk 2077, based on a pen and paper roleplaying game called Cyberpunk 2020.

But... things did not go that way, they desided to go against their normal pattern of when they start talking about the games they make. Which means that we have goten to see the true, actual, development cycle of videogames... rather than the visible one which most of us see when we look at the gaming industry. We might see something like 2-4 years of development for the most part... but what actually is probably close to the truth is that most games, especially AAA games, standardly go through anywhere from 4-8 years of development from the early conceptions to finally being released.

If CDPR has announced Witcher 3 as early as they did CP2077... then Witcher 2 would probably not even have been released yet, because they would still have been right in the middle of working on it.

Calistarius;n7956920 said:
You see the pattern here? ~4 years between each game's release, and the next game being officially announeced roughly right in the middle of that, with about 2 years befor/after game releases. By that time, the times where they officially announced the next game, they had already been working on said game for atleast 2 years, probably even as long as 3-4 years.

But don't forget how much CDPR grew and that they now have more teams and a second studio. So now they are able to do more work in parallel than back in the time when they did TW2.

Calistarius;n7956920 said:
So Cyberpunk 2077 was not replaced in the development cycle for Witcher 3 or anything... they had already been working on Withcer 3 for at the very least 2 years, but probably 3-4 years since the start of the pre-production.

I didn't say it was a replacement, just that a lot that happened during the development of TW3 influences the development of CP77. TW3 was their first real open world attempt and also the new engine will be further improved for CP77 (or at least TW3 would have shown them if they can use their own engine or if they need to licence an other engine).

No hint they have any plans to license another engine, in fact exactly the opposite since they got that development grant from the Polish government.

In a few years (after CP2077 is released) I expect to see people buying licenses to use REDengine.

VikingStudios;n7962510 said:
But don't forget how much CDPR grew and that they now have more teams and a second studio. So now they are able to do more work in parallel than back in the time when they did TW2.

Well, I am pretty sure that all the new people they have hired will not work on CP2077, a fair amount of them will probably be working on that second AAA game that they want to have released in 2021 at the latest. So to me these things more seem to be that they are trying to make sure to keep things on status quo when it comes to release patterns.

Granted, I do have to add that part of this, why I think they will have the relese patterns that I saif befor, is due to that I belive, speculate, that one of the big things CDPR is doing here is trying to go over to a two game development cycle, like so many other of the big RPG AAA developers are doing these days. As in going from releasing 1 fantasy rpg every ~4 years... to releasing a new game every 2-3 years where they switch between Fantasy and Sci-Fi. That way their employees gets several years break from doing the same old thing over and over again, due to the sheer difference between Fantasy and Sci-Fi in general (especially if the Sci-Fi is something like Cyberpunk), and they will eliminate the majority of "holes" in development for their employees, so that they do not have to fire people because their expertiese is not neded again for another 2-4 years or something (something which has been a problem in the gaming industry since atleast the 90's).

Suhiira;n7964140 said:
No hint they have any plans to license another engine, in fact exactly the opposite since they got that development grant from the Polish government.

They put a lot of effort in it but also had some serious troubles during the development of TW3. Luckily they could fix it and now of course there is no need for licensing.

Suhiira;n7964140 said:
In a few years (after CP2077 is released) I expect to see people buying licenses to use REDengine.

I hope so. But therefor they had to make a better editor than the REDkit. It's a pity it didn't turned out as intended and now all the resources/the wiki is gone.

Calistarius;n7964460 said:
That way their employees gets several years break from doing the same old thing over and over again

But this doesn't work if they have different teams for each project/franchise.
e.g. Team A does fantasy game 1
Team B starts scifi game 1
fantasy game 1 gets released and Team A starts with fantasy game 2
scifi game 1 gets released and Team B starts with scifi game 2

And this is how larger developer work. It doesn't make sense to switch the teams for a new game in a franchise as each team gathers specific skills and knowledge for that kind of genre.

Calistarius;n7964460 said:
Well, I am pretty sure that all the new people they have hired will not work on CP2077, a fair amount of them will probably be working on that second AAA game that they want to have released in 2021 at the latest. So to me these things more seem to be that they are trying to make sure to keep things on status quo when it comes to release patterns.

Granted, I do have to add that part of this, why I think they will have the relese patterns that I saif befor, is due to that I belive, speculate, that one of the big things CDPR is doing here is trying to go over to a two game development cycle, like so many other of the big RPG AAA developers are doing these days. As in going from releasing 1 fantasy rpg every ~4 years... to releasing a new game every 2-3 years where they switch between Fantasy and Sci-Fi. That way their employees gets several years break from doing the same old thing over and over again, due to the sheer difference between Fantasy and Sci-Fi in general (especially if the Sci-Fi is something like Cyberpunk), and they will eliminate the majority of "holes" in development for their employees, so that they do not have to fire people because their expertiese is not neded again for another 2-4 years or something (something which has been a problem in the gaming industry since atleast the 90's).

I dont think they started the second project yet. At the end of the last year i was watching video on Tomek Gop podcast with polish developers from industry summarizing 2016, one of them was Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, Game Director on Witcher 3 and expansions. He said that right now he is resting after W3/expansions development and casually helping Cyberpunk 2077 team, designing some stuff, advicing etc but nothing too serious like with Witcher 3. At the end he said that he hopes for some new challenges (probably project) from board members in next year.. So yeah, i think they will start this year relocating story team and designers for new project, early pre-production, story etc...

They already probably designed most of the stuff design wise for Cyberpunk 2077. Now programmers and artist are probably most busy.

Last edited:
I tend to get over-hyped for some releases (Fallout 4, No Mans Sky for example) by watching every trailer, gameplay reveal, pre-ordering, etc... However, for Cyberpunk my plan is to watch the first gameplay reveal and nothing after. I'm tired of spoiling games before I've even played them. I do strongly believe this game will have a lot of hype to follow after it's reveal. It will be tough!

Narshredder;n7969640 said:
I tend to get over-hyped for some releases (Fallout 4, No Mans Sky for example) by watching every trailer, gameplay reveal, pre-ordering, etc... However, for Cyberpunk my plan is to watch the first gameplay reveal and nothing after. I'm tired of spoiling games before I've even played them. I do strongly believe this game will have a lot of hype to follow after it's reveal. It will be tough!

Same here. I did this for TW2 but I really like to get surprised by a good game and I trust CDPR so I'll maybe watch trailers but nothing more.

VikingStudios;n7965270 said:
But this doesn't work if they have different teams for each project/franchise.
e.g. Team A does fantasy game 1
Team B starts scifi game 1
fantasy game 1 gets released and Team A starts with fantasy game 2
scifi game 1 gets released and Team B starts with scifi game 2

And this is how larger developer work. It doesn't make sense to switch the teams for a new game in a franchise as each team gathers specific skills and knowledge for that kind of genre.
Well... just because there are different teams does not have to mean that each team is locked down in who works on them and who works in other teams. I would expect there to be a smaller core number of people that are locked to that one project for the duration (like project leader, leader for each "thing" in the development, and some of the other main people in these things), but then a fairly large mass of flexible people (or several masses for different things) get's sent where they are needed at that one point in time.

If anything that would keep down the number of people you would have to hire as a company. As an example, where I just take random numbers out of the sky: Two teams where each team is complatly isolated from each other, where each team needs to be 200 people big to get things done = then you need 400 people total to make it work. However, two teams with a core and a mass of flexible people coming and going as needed, where you need 200 people total to finish the project, and each core is maybe 50 people = then you might maybe only need 300 people total, 100 core people, and 200 flexible people that flowes between the projects as they are needed. Again... just imaginary numbers and what not... but it is how I feel something like this could/would work.

As for if it makes sence or not having your developers learn more skills... I feel that it does make sence to have them learn more skills, because it means that they become more flexible to be placed anywhere you need them to be, no matter if that happends to be Fantasy or Sci-Fi. Such a worker becomes a lot more useful to a company. Of course, so does people who maybe only have focosed on one single thing and become really really good at it, the downside there though is that there is a chance that you are unable to put that person anywhere else. This person would probably be mroe fitting to place in for example a core group for a project. And I guess that is the thing... put single-thing focused experts in core groups, and multi-thing focused flexible people in the movable mass.

Sneky;n7966180 said:
I dont think they started the second project yet. At the end of the last year i was watching video on Tomek Gop podcast with polish developers from industry summarizing 2016, one of them was Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, Game Director on Witcher 3 and expansions. He said that right now he is resting after W3/expansions development and casually helping Cyberpunk 2077 team, designing some stuff, advicing etc but nothing too serious like with Witcher 3. At the end he said that he hopes for some new challenges (probably project) from board members in next year.. So yeah, i think they will start this year relocating story team and designers for new project, early pre-production, story etc...

They already probably designed most of the stuff design wise for Cyberpunk 2077. Now programmers and artist are probably most busy.
I would asume that they started working on the preproduction of this second project somewhere around late 2015 or somewhere in 2016 when Witcher 3 was done and they moved over most of the people to CP2077... that would at this time start freeing up the people who tend to work in pre-production, which CP2077 probably had been in since somewhere around 2012-2013'ish (they might have started even eartlier on this second project then 2015-2016'ish, but if so then I would asume that was like the pre-preproduction stuff, the "I have an idea for our next game!" stage XD ). Of course... this does compleatly depend on the size of this second project... a smaller one would need less time, where as a big one would need more... but seeing as CDPR has (as far as I remember) said that the other project was also a AAA game, then I would asume that it is a bigger one, which means that they would have had to started with the biggert aspects of preproduction somewhere not to long after the release of Witcher 3.

Suhiira;n7964140 said:

Witcher 3 was their own engine, corrrect? If so, it's solid. And I agree with you.

Top Bottom