You won the round and you lost the round

+
You won the round and you lost the round

Why do these sentences use past simple instead of present perfect?

In other news... looks like it's going to rain today. Damn weather! Too bad I can't cast a Clear Skies IRL.

4RM3D;n7561050 said:
In other news... looks like it's going to rain today. Damn weather! Too bad I can't cast a Clear Skies IRL.

By judging from how much time you spend on these forums I rly don't think you care much about weather effects IRL.

No, really. You've won/lost a round - it's an action in the past with a result now, clearly present perfect for me

luckyspucky;n7561180 said:
By judging from how much time you spend on these forums I rly don't think you care much about weather effects IRL.

You've got that backwards. It's precisely because of the shitty weather the past few months, I've spent so much time inside. Can't wait for Spring.

Riven-Twain;n7563250 said:
Moderator: What is the topic here: The weather, or the tense?

Someone being:

Which I kinda made fun of. No harm intended, though.

:shock2:

LDiCesare;n7564430 said:
Actually, in French, tense and weather are the same word.
Hah. Quite true, that. (My memory was temporarily clouded.) However, unfortunately these are the English forums.

HenryGrosmont;n7565520 said:
Unfortunately?
:threaten:

Unfortunate for the efficacy of that particular defence, old boy. Naught more than that. :listen:

And now, if there are no further objections, has anyone aught else to add to this topic?

BluOFF;n7560890 said:
Why do these sentences use past simple instead of present perfect?

Well, it could be that simple past tense is a more active voice that would be weakened with the interjection of the helping verb "have."

It could also be a common parlance; after all, if you sit down to play <game> and win, you don't say "I have won," rather simply "I won." Neither do people commonly express the action of winning in past perfect such as "<team> have won <game>" or "<actor> had won <award>."

There are a number of other possible reasons, which don't really matter since the simple past tense is perfectly acceptable for the context. After all, you understand what is meant, yes?

Top Bottom