[SPOILER] Phantom Liberty: How to get the positiv Johnny (dialog) ending? (is there a bug?)

+
Hi,

I recently finished the Phantom Liberty extra Ending and had the last dialog with Johnny in the AV. However, although my relation with him is at 85%, I only got the resentful version of this scene.

Now I read contradicting things about this issue. Some say, you will get the positiv Johnny in this scene, when your relationship with him is over 70% (what would make the most sense), others they, one needs to choose the right options during the oil field dialog.

Does anyone actually know the answer to this, because I got the feeling, it could simple be a (annoying) bug. ^^ Because, as I sad, Im over 85%. Or do you need to choose other dialog options at the right time? Or does it depends on who you side with first during Firestarter?

Does anyone has a clue? :censored: It would such a round ending of cyberpunk form me, to experience the understanding Johnny dialog on my own playthrough : )

(There should also be mention, that I played the german translation/version. Could it have something to do with the implementation? Did anyone had the same issue in the english version? And of course, the latest version is installed (no mods).)

Last edited:
Not sure, but if "something" influence for sure the relation between V and Johnny, it's the dialogue in the oilfield. Outside of "Don't Fear The Reaper" ending, oilfield dialogue already change several dialogues with Johnny along the game.
The % is more a progression indication rather than an indication about how "good" your relation with Johnny is.

People always assume the relationship would influence dialogs or outcomes because it would make sense in various situations like the secret ending or the PL dialog but for now it seems it doesn’t have any influence at all - it’s just a progression bar like LeKill said and even an unlogical on top because it also raises if you argue or block Johnny all the way with the pills f.e… : /

I haven't tested this specific conversation myself, but IN GENERAL, you do have to pay attention to the way you speak to other characters and the way you talk about things as this can impact conversations further down the line.

What V says actually does matter. It's not only about percentages.

E.g. what you say to Johnny at the Pistis Sophia absolutely has an impact on the flavour of dialogue in the Mikoshi sequence. Your affinity percentage is not the only variable that affects that dialogue; the exact things you say are another set of variables.

I think a lot of players assume that dialogue options only affect the conversation you're currently having - nope, they can have an impact on later ones too.

This whole relationship thing with Johnny is so busted and arbitrary. I remember when I first played the game shortly after it came out, inside Mikoshi Johnny was beating the shit out of me and calling me a liar for taking my body back despite the fact that multiple times throughout the game he said that he'd get wiped to save me and the relationship bar was at 80%.

It was a nice idea but god knows how it even is supposed to have ever worked and if it even does work properly still.

This whole relationship thing with Johnny is so busted and arbitrary. I remember when I first played the game shortly after it came out, inside Mikoshi Johnny was beating the shit out of me and calling me a liar for taking my body back despite the fact that multiple times throughout the game he said that he'd get wiped to save me and the relationship bar was at 80%.

It was a nice idea but god knows how it even is supposed to have ever worked and if it even does work properly still.

Hmm, not sure you're remembering that right. There's a version where V beats the shit out of Johnny in Mikoshi. Your affinity would've been less than 70% for that to happen. It couldn't have been 80 because it didn't go that high then.

Tested it out a whiles back:

Hmm, not sure you're remembering that right. There's a version where V beats the shit out of Johnny in Mikoshi. Your affinity would've been less than 70% for that to happen. It couldn't have been 80 because it didn't go that high then.

Tested it out a whiles back:
I may have gotten the specific number incorrect, but otherwise I'm remembering it perfectly correctly, obviously I encountered a bug because my relationship with Johnny was at max and I chose specific dialogue options where Johnny said he would get wiped. My point was that the relationship thing has always been a mess and it still confuses people to this day because it isn't even clear how it works or what it does.

Hell, even if I'm remembering it incorrectly and my % wasn't above 70 it still proves my point. I have a full conversation with Johnny about how he'll get wiped and all this bullshit about how we have each other's backs, he gives me his dog tags as his promise to me but then all of a sudden he changes tack because an arbitrary bar wasn't passed?

Last edited:
I may have gotten the specific number incorrect, but otherwise I'm remembering it perfectly correctly, obviously I encountered a bug because my relationship with Johnny was at max and I chose specific dialogue options where Johnny said he would get wiped. My point was that the relationship thing has always been a mess and it still confuses people to this day because it isn't even clear how it works or what it does.

Hell, even if I'm remembering it incorrectly and my % wasn't above 70 it still proves my point. I have a full conversation with Johnny about how he'll get wiped and all this bullshit about how we have each other's backs, he gives me his dog tags as his promise to me but then all of a sudden he changes tack because an arbitrary bar wasn't passed?

I’ve never seen Johnny beat up V in Mikoshi and I can’t find any evidence that’s ever happened. Like I said, we’ve seen V beat up Johnny in Mikoshi, which is the thing that’s always been controversial (indeed, regardless of affinity, V beating up Johnny always felt a bit off, but I think that was more of a writing issue than anything else). It sounds like that‘s what you‘re actually thinking of but you’ve muddled the two characters.

In any case, the point was that it wasn’t “arbitrary” but actually requires specific conditions that need to be met.

Circling back to what the OP is talking about, this is probably similar.

I haven't tested this specific conversation myself, but IN GENERAL, you do have to pay attention to the way you speak to other characters and the way you talk about things as this can impact conversations further down the line.

What V says actually does matter. It's not only about percentages.

E.g. what you say to Johnny at the Pistis Sophia absolutely has an impact on the flavour of dialogue in the Mikoshi sequence. Your affinity percentage is not the only variable that affects that dialogue; the exact things you say are another set of variables.

I think a lot of players assume that dialogue options only affect the conversation you're currently having - nope, they can have an impact on later ones too.
Yeah, I was already aware of the fact, how imported it is, which answers you pick in the oilfield. However, to be honest, it seems to me like a lazy game mechanic to me.

Its a while ago, but I remember that I already back then thought to myself, that the right dialog opinion seems to be quit random (6 short replies and each one of them must be correct to get the secret ending ^^). It would be much more naturell if Johnny accept your decision, after he started to respect you over time by my many different decisions and multiple deep conversations (represented in the relationship percents), rather then because of a few replies druing a dialog, no matter what happens afterwards. ^^

When I had the resentful Johnny at the end, I was actually kinda disappointed, not because I was desperat to have a more peaceful ending, but simply because it didn't fit into what happend in this playthrought of mine. It real felt like, that they don't know each other for long - that very thing that happens before, is being ignored.

Therefore, my first thought was, it could be a bug. But yeah, in the accepting ending he actually mentions the oilfield. Lazy game mechanic in my opionen, as I said.

But again, does anyone know for sure, that this dialog is responsible? Mybe its simple the new quest, where you get the convertible Porsche. :D

I’ve never seen Johnny beat up V in Mikoshi and I can’t find any evidence that’s ever happened. Like I said, we’ve seen V beat up Johnny in Mikoshi, which is the thing that’s always been controversial (indeed, regardless of affinity, V beating up Johnny always felt a bit off, but I think that was more of a writing issue than anything else). It sounds like that‘s what you‘re actually thinking of but you’ve muddled the two characters.
Speaking of which, a bit OT, but I always found strange that players keep controlling/being Johnny in Mikoshi... During the ending, it make sense because Johnny "control" the body, but in Mikoshi it make no sense at all... Player must be V's engram (consciousness), not Johnny's :(

Speaking of which, a bit OT, but I always found strange that players keep controlling/being Johnny in Mikoshi... During the ending, it make sense because Johnny "control" the body, but in Mikoshi it make no sense at all... Player must be V's engram (consciousness), not Johnny's :(

Well by that logic it would make more sense to only ever be V, including when Johnny’s driving the body. But that would be shit storytelling. Stories can’t be 100% logical all the time.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah, I was already aware of the fact, how imported it is, which answers you pick in the oilfield.

Like I said, it might not only be the oilfield. (The oilfield has specific dialogue necessary to unlock the secret ending, but that’s a whole separate topic).

For all we know it might be something you said at the Pistis Sophia. It might be a decision you made at some point that Johnny doesn’t agree with. Maybe it was something you said on the rooftop. Who knows?

My only advice to you (aside from searching online) is to basically approach this like a scientist. You’re gonna have to test, test, test, and test some more to narrow down the exact conditions required to get the outcome you want.

Last edited:

In any case, the point was that it wasn’t “arbitrary” but actually requires specific conditions that need to be met.

Circling back to what the OP is talking about, this is probably similar.
Yeah I think you're right, it was 3 years ago and I think I got the exact situation slightly confused. Either way, that ending didn't match with the dialogue I had with Johnny previously, I just watched it and V talks about 'stick(ing) to the plan' of giving Johnny V's body, but that was never a plan when I played the game the first time, so clearly the scene was triggering incorrectly. So as I said, the whole thing has been busted always and rarely makes any sense, in my opinion.

Well by that logic it would make more sense to only ever be V, including when Johnny’s driving the body. But that would be shit storytelling. Stories can’t be 100% logical all the time.
Controlling V's body as Johnny can be understandable and forgivable (I mean, pills "shut down" V and players have to "play" time to time^^), a bit like during Johnny memories. In theory, Johnny's memories should be like a "movie" or a BD. You would simply "watch" them, but it would be rather boring.

But there is no point to keep incarning Johnny in Mikoshi, seing V from Johnny's point of view and above all, having absolutely no control about what V can say (V being the character players roleplay). So it's weird :(

Edit : Just to precise my feelings.
The first time I played this ending (almost the only time in fact), it was like if I was talking to myself, or like if the game pointed out that I'm no longer V anymore, or like if the V I'm talking was no longer the character I played since the beginning. In any case, it feel quite weird (to me).

Last edited:
Okay thanks. : ) And I actually just tested all rooftop dialog options. Next I will test the new Porsche Missionen. :D Or maybe one has to finish all missions in Dogtown :shrug:

Okay thanks. : ) And I actually just tested all rooftop dialog options. Next I will test the new Porsche Missionen. :D Or maybe one has to finish all missions in Dogtown :shrug:
If you're on PC, it should be relatively easy to check if it's because of the oilfield dialogue or not with Save Editor.
I think you should be able to copy and edit a save (ideally a save as close as possible to the dialogue with Johnny in the AV) with and without the "right" dialogue in the oilfield and see if the dialogue with Johnny is different (or not).

If you're on PC, it should be relatively easy to check if it's because of the oilfield dialogue or not with Save Editor.
I think you should be able to copy and edit a save (ideally a save as close as possible to the dialogue with Johnny in the AV) with and without the "right" dialogue in the oilfield and see if the dialogue with Johnny is different (or not).
Weel actually I'm playing via cloud gaming. So unfortunately that is not an option for me. But thanks

Hey its me again. Thanks for the suggestion. I got the idea that I could try to edit my save via cross platforming on the computer of a friend, and than save it again, to reupload it back on my account. And indeed - after I "enabled the secret Johnny" ending via the mod, I got the accepting dialog with him. : )

So eventuell to get this ending, one needs the same requirements as for the secret ending (over 70% relationship and the right dialog options during the oilfield scene).

Hey its me again. Thanks for the suggestion. I got the idea that I could try to edit my save via cross platforming on the computer of a friend, and than save it again, to reupload it back on my account. And indeed - after I "enabled the secret Johnny" ending via the mod, I got the accepting dialog with him. : )

So eventuell to get this ending, one needs the same requirements as for the secret ending (over 70% relationship and the right dialog options during the oilfield scene).
the secret ending does not require 70%… why do people still think this after 3 years…?

the secret ending does not require 70%… why do people still think this after 3 years…?
Because each an every workthrough of the major gaming sites claims this till today. That's modern journalism, don't investigate something yourself and verify the solution, just copy and paste from another site, change some words to not make it too obvious and be done. Oh, my bad, cover it with tons of ads as your hard work needs to be rewarded (yes, I'm a little salty today :D)

Top Bottom