First sad impressions

+
First sad impressions

Hi, i am new in this game, and i really never took my time to play. The starter decks seem weak, and each time i try to practice single player, I just get destroyed by the AI. The way the game is presented is IMO really player unfriendly, it should lead you into playing it and getting hooked, but every time i open the game i just get annoyed. It's obvious that i am not good at the game, i played like an hour, but i would be really glad if there was an "easy" practice mode, where they do not play all the op epics (the three witchers that summon each other?), or something to help a completely new player (tutorial was really not enough). This is my advice to you developers. To other players, where should i start to get in the game?

The AI is definitely much stronger than someone who just started playing, with access to better cards. Like Kleonix wrote, the AI is level 10 and the cards reflect that. They are likely better than what most people will have at level 10 still, but around level 10 I managed to win some games against it. At level 1, I couldn't win and felt a bit like you. It's best to just jump into Casual Mode and play against others who just started playing. I had worried that this would be frustrating, but I found it fairly relaxed (I did play the monster starter deck from 1-6 before modifying it and found it beginner-friendly). The game will eventually have a story mode, so the transition from starting to playing against real people will be smoother. The closed beta is all about player vs. player matches, card balance, etc.

I found the YouTube beginner videos by Jaggerous at https://www.youtube.com/user/TheJaggerous/videos to be helpful (when you are ready to craft a few basic cards). There's one for each faction with good explanations on how to play them. Gave me a good overview. For more advanced stuff, Merchant has good YouTube videos.

alexblass, did you play Gwent on the Witcher? This certainly helps you get much more a feel for the game. I would recommend starting off with the Monsters deck, and keeping your deck to a maximum or around 28 cards, then you are more likely to be dealt a better range of cards. Within this desk the weather effects work pretty well, also a lot of your cards are immune to weather such as the Foglets and Wild Hunt.

It's one of those games where you only really learn by losing. Once you start to get more of a feel for each cards effects and experience of playing against other decks in the multiplayer, it starts to get a lot more enjoyable.

Also, crafting is definitely key to getting good cards. Make sure to save and mill cards so you can craft more powerful ones.

Don't give up on Gwent! It's worth the pain at the beginning.

Agree with the above, multiplayer vs other level 1 players is the place to start.

The AI level is something they should really work on. I think it's quite automatic that after the tutorial what you do first is to try out the decks against AI if anything to understand a bit how they works. Getting rotflstomped (happened to me too when i started) is really discouraging. The game should allow you to play against different levels of AI. Keep the current one as something like "expert AI" and implement AI on basic difficult where they essentially play the same decks as you, aka the starter decks.

Top Bottom