Consume monsters require less skill ? (DAGON too strong)

+
Consume monsters require less skill ? (DAGON too strong)

Hey guys i noticed that consume monsters are actually really strong. But i also noticed that the gameplay requires no skill at all ( correct me if im wrong^^ ).
If u dont play hardcore control you will just be overrun by the strengh( Ekimarras ) and unit numbers ( Arachas ) on the board.
And i think its not the problem because gwent has a good counter to both of those things >> weather and scorch (or you need mass thunders and shackles.
But DAGON makes it nearly impossible to play weather on this and until youre not playing scoiatael mass control pew pew u just sit there and watch the enemies units grow to infinity.
Consume requieres less skill because of their really strong bronze units. And at the end of the turn they keep like a 14 or more strengh unit on the board. Playing consume monsters is like spamming bronze cards, counter weather with dagon and eat your dead monsters with ghouls and consume the ghouls after.
Correct me if im wrong but consume monsters deck is really brainless. I tested it and its just straightforward.
And honestly dagon is too strong because of his flexibility. 4 effects where you can choose between weather (Ekimma can be placed on any lane which is strong wich weather) or clear skies which makes the weather play impossible ( need more weather cards in hand but seriously who runs mass weather nowadays ^^). And if both effects suck u can just put out another bronze unit which is really strong in a consume monsters deck.

Just lacerate the spiders.

ETA - Lacerate the Arachas if they get out of control. To not let them get out of control just lock the Arachas Behemoth which spawns all of them.

Last edited:
They are very strong, but no deck is brain dead to play. Assuming you have a good deck, there are ways to beat Consume Monsters, it can be tough but they can be beaten. I completely agree w/ you that Consume Monsters is one of the strongest decks in the game, thus it's a top tier meta deck. Build it if you want to rank up.

First of all, there really isn't a deck that requires skill to play. The skill comes from anticipating your opponents moves and use what resources you have available at the right time, even though that might matter little if you've a subpar opening hand and you're faced with a strong opponent.

Monster Consume is strong, yes. But it can always be countered in a number of ways. That's the reason why it's in a good place right now, unlike Brouver's Ambush or Henselt's Gold. The latter two are just very difficult to counter and sometimes cannot be countered at all.

On a side note, considering you are discussing Monster Consume I assume you are playing casual or mid-rank because once you've reached rank 14+, it's all Brouver's Ambush and Henselt's Gold.

4RM3D;n8394040 said:
On a side note, considering you are discussing Monster Consume I assume you are playing casual or mid-rank because once you've reached rank 14+, it's all Brouver's Ambush and Henselt's Gold.

We Rank 15 Monster players are insulted by your generalization.

Consequently, I see a decent amount of Weather and Morvan control in ranked play, which still leads me to believe that despite Rethaz's statements about matchmaking, that deck makeup still does a lot to determine what you play against.

frbfree;n8395360 said:
We Rank 15 Monster players are insulted by your generalization.

Consequently, I see a decent amount of Weather and Morvan control in ranked play, which still leads me to believe that despite Rethaz's statements about matchmaking, that deck makeup still does a lot to determine what you play against.

Hmm, maybe that's the case because once I passed the rank 13 barrier, Monsters quickly dropped of the face of the planet. I do encounter them every now and then, but that's nothing compared to the 90% of the time I face Brouver or Henselt.

Ok thanks for answers :D Ye im rank 14 now and i just see Brouver Hoogs and Morvans.
But nobody reacted on my #Dagon too strong post ^^
What do you think ? Should Dagon be nerfed ? I mean honestly hes way too strong and makes Geeles and specially Eredin look like shit^^

Vladi999;n8395980 said:
Ok thanks for answers :D Ye im rank 14 now and i just see Brouver Hoogs and Morvans.
What do you think ? Should Dagon be nerfed ? I mean honestly hes way too strong and makes Geeles and specially Eredin look like shit^^
Rank 15 is usually Henselt and Monsters. And unlike Monsters, Henstelt (the one the majority plays) is an autopilot deck.
Dagon should be left alone. He isn't the reason Consume is that strong.

Vladi999;n8395980 said:

I play the painter in my Moster Rush Deck. Dagon is more versatile, but I would much rather just beat the other guy down with numbers than worry about playing with weather. I play Dagon in my Graveyard Denial deck, but that's only because it's not as quick as the other.

I don't think Dagon needs a nerfing. If you told me that you wanted to remove his Rally ability, then I would shrug. But otherwise, I don't know what you would change.

Dagon's strength lies in his incredible versatility, combined with the fact that he obscures what your intentions are (unlike Ge'els, for example) and can thus encourage meh mulligans from the opponent.

There's one misconception that I really want to highlight though: Their "really strong bronze units" like Ekkimara is 6 strength (+1 for every nekker on the board), Arachas Behemoth is 6+3 for every consume, and nekkers are a growing threat. But these are units that are all vulnerable to removal (Scorch effects. Alzur's Thunder), and the Ekkimara is well dealt with by a Mardroeme spores. Weather monsters also counters the deck pretty hard, especially as many players don't run that many First Lights because of their Dagon. You can often overwhelm them with weather because you can incentivise a premature Clear Skies from the Dagon.

D-Bomb, Scorch, Weather just to name a few. Specific deck archetypes (like my Braenn deck) does extremely well against consume in particular, having the card advantage in built to basically ignore Dagon's weather potential.

On the other hand, I wouldn't say consume monsters is exactly the most sophisticated deck to play, but I wouldn't call it brainless. Northern Realms is (by intentional design, although they want to change that now) much simpler to play.

An effective counter is to hold onto a D-bomb into the final round. It's tempting to use it earlier, but refrain.

as Skellige Discard I find Monster Consume one of the matches weighted in my favour because I'm looking to control the board in round 3 through Coral and D-bomb which Consume is extremely vulnerable to.

part of my Strat involves forcing them to push round 1 breaking card advantage or even, then using Udalryk with Decoy to start stealing things from their graveyard that would be important to their strategy along with removal to put something I want to steal in their Graveyard.

its also extremely effective against NR Treb and Tower decks (honestly, I've had loads of rage concedes when I steal a couple of trebs, then Revive Udalryk in the next round to steal another or a tower) and surprisingly has had some success against those pesky Scoia'tel ambush.

​​​​​​but yeah, seems to be a common posting them from me here. Run counters to common strategy, you'll find them a lot more bearable when you do.

frbfree;n8396180 said:
I play the painter in my Moster Rush Deck. Dagon is more versatile, but I would much rather just beat the other guy down with numbers than worry about playing with weather. I play Dagon in my Graveyard Denial deck, but that's only because it's not as quick as the other.

I don't think Dagon needs a nerfing. If you told me that you wanted to remove his Rally ability, then I would shrug. But otherwise, I don't know what you would change.

Yeah I can get behind that, removing the rally effect seems really good. He's ability otherwise gives him ridiculous versatility especially when he gets card advantage

Monsters are def. a little busted atm, but tech for them and you will do ok. They are really dominant due to a better Aeromancy as a leader card, the new best faction ability in the game, and the ability to push out crazy value over multiple rounds. It's risky to pass early with Dagon's weather threat, but if you don't they will carry cards over to the next round in addition to card advantage.

They are not brainless to play by any means, but a same skill level player on another deck is definitely more likely to lose against consume. (Check out the post about recorded rank stats from Gwent Up to see how much higher dagon's win rate is in the top 100 than any other leader.)

It's been a long while since the last balance update, so rest assured that CDPR will nerf bat what is necessary. A weather rework will also go a long way to toning down Dagon.

As a consume monsters player, this deck is very strong because of how much power the minions generate on their own, however one big problem I face is that consume decks(except for vran warrior versions) cannot generate lots of power in 1-2 turns except Crones and Kayran. I do agree that consume monsters are a very strong deck, however massive power swing decks like Northern Realms or control decks can still beat consume monsters with a decent winrate.

IAxiiYourMother;n8410450 said:
Monsters are def. a little busted atm, but tech for them and you will do ok. They are really dominant due to a better Aeromancy as a leader card, the new best faction ability in the game, and the ability to push out crazy value over multiple rounds. It's risky to pass early with Dagon's weather threat, but if you don't they will carry cards over to the next round in addition to card advantage.

They are not brainless to play by any means, but a same skill level player on another deck is definitely more likely to lose against consume. (Check out the post about recorded rank stats from Gwent Up to see how much higher dagon's win rate is in the top 100 than any other leader.)

It's been a long while since the last balance update, so rest assured that CDPR will nerf bat what is necessary. A weather rework will also go a long way to toning down Dagon.

The only people really complaining about monster decks are those that are getting owned with their meta NR brainless decks. If anything, Dagon needs to be a 6 strength card in addition to what he currently has since weather is so easily countered by clear skies which effects all 3 rows instead of just one.

i play monsters weather deck with nithral and wild hunters and monsters comsume are always one of the easiest matchups for me. They are easily countered. I play multiple weather cards with 2 fogs aeromancy merigold hailstorm and dagon. With Avallach and ocvist i most of the times end with card advantage to finish the round with a weather card and win.

However henslet decks and brouver are too powerful. It is actually henslet ability which needs nerfing. It gives you at least a 14 power swing and immunity to weather and special cards.
they always end up promoting all the board , then play yennefer and damage all your units for 2 to finish the game.

brouver on the other hand has the possibility to abuse a special card like scorch and the ambush ability cannot be countered.

Ruthless95;n8414230 said:
monster consume vs 5 times scorch scoiatael. have you played it? then you would not think MS consume or dagon is OP.

M8. I tested everything. NK chains dont work cause if u dont play hardcore control monsters will just get too big lol. I played control scoiatael and always loose and i know why:
Jesus christ nekkers are f... op. I didnt mention it but just look how OP nekkers are lol.
1. U cant counter them.
2. Grows bigger and bigger to the end of the game
3. They come back into the next round although there is another unitkeep (too op in my opinion)
4. Its a bronze card with too many abbilities (constant buffs and keeps) comparing with other bronze units nekkers have toooooooooooooo many strengh on the board (cause they come back at the end of the round. its even more OP because can keep your last card aswell)

This constand copy of nekkers is just not balanced despite their 2 too strong abbilities.
Nekkers bring more strengh on the board then gold cards.

I cant rank up because i loose every game agains retarded consume deck despite the other silvers and golds are rly strong aswell.

Top 100 tells it all. Consume is op

Top Bottom