#1 reason to kill Letho

+
What are you talking about? Where have I said something said about preference let alone the entire game? I just don’t think your reason for killing Letho is one that I personally deem very convincing.

Well my original post may be worded poorly. The forum won't let me edit anymore. Basically, Letho is seen as manipulating the schemers, but really Emhyr is the one who hired Letho to do his bidding. Nilfgard wins in the end, not Letho, since we can kill him.

Well, yeah. I’m not even sure whether Emhyr would be true to his word and let him reopen the school. I guess that depends on whether he deems him useful or not. Anything in the book lore on Emhyr’s honesty/integrity?

Demut said:
Well, yeah. I’m not even sure whether Emhyr would be true to his word and let him reopen the school. I guess that depends on whether he deems him useful or not. Anything in the book lore on Emhyr’s honesty/integrity?

I'm gonna have to check. But honestly in my last run, as I listened to Letho yammer on at the game's end, I felt that he was being used. The real chess master here is Emhyr, not Letho.

Demut said:

There was the episode at Stygga castle where Emhyr had captured Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri. He proposed to allow Geralt and Yennefer to commit suicide in comfort, while he impregnated Ciri. He gave Geralt his word that he would not hurt Ciri, and gave Yennefer his word that he would not make her cry. When Ciri began to cry over the impending loss of her foster parents, Emhyr kept his word and let all three go free.

Emhyr was willing to give up that which he desired most, because he had given his word. I think he should be believed to be a man of his word.

I let letho live in my playthrough because I kinda had the same opinion as geralt's response if you spare letho. Letho's death doesn't mean anything at all. Is it really geralt's revenge? not really. Letho only defamed geralt's reputation but geralt could easily take that back with the help of radovid if you help him or natalis maybe even henselt. letho's crimes may be grave for the northern kingdoms but for geralt, I would say not that much. And if he's alive maybe he'll be back as an ally in Witcher 3.

Demut said:
Or an enemy again :)/> You can’t be sure of it either way. Same with Saskia.

And that is another major reason to not let him live, other than the fact that Letho started the chaos in TW2 and killed alot of people for mostly selfish reasons, whose to say he wouldn't do it all again? I think that if you let him live you could find people being "mysteriously" assassinated in TW3 again. Also the two witchers that joined him wound up dead he could very likely get the other two that he mentioned killed in his schemes.

I think that Letho got a deal that is "too good to refuse" The promise that the emperor would rebuild the witcher school is indeed a great offer.

Emhyr is a man of principal and a man of his word, as such I think it's safe to say at the very least that Letho truly believes that he will make good on his promise and restore the order of the viper. The Witchers are dying out and Letho sees this as the only way to bring them back. Even if it means the possibility of selling himself and the witchers out to fight for Nilfgaard is it not still preferable to extinction? Letho is willing to do anything in order to save the witchers. Now I'm not saying that makes him worthy of redemption but he is clearly more than just a hired sword and, as he says himself, is not an enemy of Geralt. I let him live because I think he has the best intentions of the witchers in mind, and so long as his deal with Emhyr remains a possibility then there is still hope that the witchers will not die off for ever.

I sympathized with Letho. I bore him no ill will for the actions he took. Foltest was not Geralt's king; in fact, politics were the last thing he got himself involved into. Though the game forced a failure in combat against him to progress the "tit for tat" that Letho spared Geralt to be "even" with Geralt, his explanation of what he did completely absolved him of any judgment I had against him. He even goes so far as to keep Triss safe from mauruaders during the Epilogue; showing he still respects Geralt's relationship with her.

Letho never comes across as a person actively seeking to do Geralt harm. And though the game did not hint until the end about how they were both old friends, I actually felt a hint of honor and conviction in his acts. I felt sympathy that he was so often judged harshly by those who thought of him as an unintelligent person, and impressed that he used these stereotypes against his enemies. I thought his trickery of replacing the jewel leading to Sile's death was very sly and clever.

In all honesty, I'll miss Letho. He seems like a good person to have on my side. I hope our paths cross again; he came across as a smart and wily assassin, very capable and very deceptive.

Letho feels to me like another character who believes that the end justify the means. All he wanted to do is restore his school, that is why he accepted the job as an assassin in the first place. Not that he could refuse anyway. He is, despite his appearance a very smart man, and those who are fooled by it, pay the price, just like Sile and the Lodge. I find it quite unique that a Sorceress like Sile, one of the most intelligent people of the witcher world, got duped by a "simple" witcher. Get's me thinking, that there is a grain of truth, in what Letho had told her, what it feels like being a witcher for him, even though he acted tough when he was telling Geralt about it.

There is really no reason to kill him, unless you play Geralt as the ultimate Temerian patriot, but I doubt Geralt's "character" would go there.

Top Bottom