Do We Need Some New Tutorials / Demonstrations?

+
Do We Need Some New Tutorials / Demonstrations?

Does anyone else feel like we could use some solid, updated walkthroughs particularly about navigating the hoops required to make mesh-based mods work (with all the new tools people have made since 2015, and wcc_lite's being stable with xml etc)? Armor, clothing, and hair mods are really popular, and there could definitely be more if we could just bridge the gap for people who can make the models and textures but just can't figure out how to make the models work. Available tutorials/demos are generally incomplete at this point for various reasons - you could follow every single step in every single one and still end up with a maddeningly dysfunctional in-game model. I'd say that even one 1.31-relevant video that explains 1) how to ensure your model shows up, and 2) how to ensure your materials for that model show up, could substantially improve the overall modding situation. Is anyone up for doing that? You would undoubtedly receive high praise and gratitude, and probably even ~~modding fame~~

I've been thinking about making a video tutorial that comprehensively walks through making sound mods because that's what I know I can provide, but that's a pretty specialized and unusual thing to mod, it seems, for this game at least. Maybe that's just because as things are now it's probably paralyzingly unclear how to make one, unless you want to do it enough that you'll sift through scores of forum pages (which is what I did, and it 100% sucked, and I wouldn't expect anyone who wants to change one or two sounds to do it). But I'm all in favor of making every part of modding as accessible as possible no matter how niche. I dunno about you all, but I actually even prefer this game to Skyrim; it just breaks my heart to see such an impenetrable modding community for a thing so rich and beautiful. We can definitely make it easier for people who are excited about their ideas but are getting discouraged by the huge dark spots in the systems. I mean at the very least I imagine it would ease the implied load on people who know how to manipulate the systems

I think there would be great value in a sound modding tutorial. Since I started playing Witcher 3 when it was released, I have been looking for a way to dampen those "swooosh" sound effects when activating and deactivating Witcher sense for example. And to significantly lower the awful noise portals make. Haven't found any solutions for these yet...

What are your current problems with meshes? For Blender at least, biozokkers tutorial covers most of the difficulties regarding importing and handling the game's materials. If you have any more problems add me on Steam, discussing this via forum isn't very good for these kinds of problems.

Maybe someone could provide a tutorial on how to edit .dds-files and cook it to a working texture mod. That would safe my life since I am desperately trying to mod some tree-textures... ^^

I think marvelmaster's and gophers YouTube tutorials are pretty much all you need. Did anyone look them all up? Marvelmaster has an entire series. Add W3oven and RTFM for "texturegroups" in the latest wcc_lite and things ought to be fine.

They don't include how to coordinate with the mesh XML because marvelmaster made his when the mod kit couldn't handle it, which means he doesn't include how to assign materials to the different parts of a mesh that has none. ScoutBr0 got me covered

Last edited:
Top Bottom