Explaining Yennefer's behaviour in the game (with a canon Geralt as partner)

+
The writers of the games did consult with Mr A Sapkwoski in large parts due to copyright but more importantly to try and tell a story about Geralt after the Lady of the Lake ending and try to keep it close in spirit to the story.
Why: because like all of us on these forums they are devoted fans of the series; they have offered an alternative ending/beginning.

They reached out to the rest of the world to show us the beauty & richness of this series. If it hadn't been for CDRP actually making the game and releasing it world wide then I'm afraid many of us in the English speaking world would not been devouring the books; why you might ask because the series was written in the mid-1990's and are only now being translated!!
Mr Sapkwoski has openly stated he does not consider the games canon because he did not write them; but he has also said in a series of interviews that Geralt & Yen were not exactly dead (interview was available on the Enhanced Witcher 1 package).

The OP is giving those who vehemently defend Triss and make Yennefer out to be a big bad ogre a different view point to consider.
He is trying to (and in IMO doing a pretty decent effort at it) a series of insights into how the writing/responses may/may not be 'Canon'. Let's face it Yen gave Triss all barrels with some still in reserve as to what she really thought of Triss trying to take Geralt; who himself always stated in all the books the only woman he ever thought about was and is Yen.
Boiling the entire series down it is really a love story between Geralt and Yen with everything else being the back drop to THEIR story. Again the OP is only pointing out where the writing in the W3 game could have been a little better or different to reflect the relationship Geralt and Yen have; irrespective of the amnesia.
The writers did it the way they did because many playing the games had initially no idea about the full story because the books had (and the last 2 aren't officially) not been translated.

I will repeat myself many times, but this is not Geralt anymore, we play him, we are biased by OUR morals, OUR ethics and OUR choices.

Would you mind taking this idea into its own thread? It may be worth discussing but it's kind of dragging this one off-topic.

Last edited:
Who defending Geralt if he doesn't choose nor Triss nor Yen?
I don't like break up with Yen with line "magic is gone". Yen deserve more.

Geralt not choosing any is not possible in any way IMHO, romancing both is much more likely than that. The line is there because Geralt uses the opportunity of breaking the spell and as we all know, Geralt is not the most sensitive and sympathetic person, in the books especially...

---------- Updated at 12:44 PM ----------

And If he breaks up with Yen and don't romance Triss? I think this scene should be about Geralt and Yen and only about them. Together or not.

That is not possible, he would not have a reason to say that... And he would say that as well, even if that outcome is really unlikely...

---------- Updated at 12:47 PM ----------

Good to know, but please as Rivenll kindly asked you watch your tone and please respect other opinions and views - comments like "your decisions were wrong and biased" made some other fans banned in the past. :)

What? That is a regular opinion, not offending anyone, wrong is a subjective word, biased? Everyone is biased, me, you, always, by something...

---------- Updated at 12:49 PM ----------

Would you mind taking this idea into its own thread? It's may be worth discussing but it's kind of dragging this one off-topic.

A part of this topic's name says "canon Geralt", am I reading it right?

---------- Updated at 12:52 PM ----------

The writers of the games did consult with Mr A Sapkwoski in large parts due to copyright but more importantly to try and tell a story about Geralt after the Lady of the Lake ending and try to keep it close in spirit to the story.
Why: because like all of us on these forums they are devoted fans of the series; they have offered an alternative ending/beginning.

They reached out to the rest of the world to show us the beauty & richness of this series. If it hadn't been for CDRP actually making the game and releasing it world wide then I'm afraid many of us in the English speaking world would not been devouring the books; why you might ask because the series was written in the mid-1990's and are only now being translated!!
Mr Sapkwoski has openly stated he does not consider the games canon because he did not write them; but he has also said in a series of interviews that Geralt & Yen were not exactly dead (interview was available on the Enhanced Witcher 1 package).

The OP is giving those who vehemently defend Triss and make Yennefer out to be a big bad ogre a different view point to consider.
He is trying to (and in IMO doing a pretty decent effort at it) a series of insights into how the writing/responses may/may not be 'Canon'. Let's face it Yen gave Triss all barrels with some still in reserve as to what she really thought of Triss trying to take Geralt; who himself always stated in all the books the only woman he ever thought about was and is Yen.
Boiling the entire series down it is really a love story between Geralt and Yen with everything else being the back drop to THEIR story. Again the OP is only pointing out where the writing in the W3 game could have been a little better or different to reflect the relationship Geralt and Yen have; irrespective of the amnesia.
The writers did it the way they did because many playing the games had initially no idea about the full story because the books had (and the last 2 aren't officially) not been translated.

Yes, I understand the OP's intentions and it is good to explain the backsory to people unaware of the event from the books, but one thing is not correct here: "Canon Geralt" that is the only problem I have, I like that he tries to explain Yen's behavior....

Geralt not choosing any is not possible in any way IMHO, romancing both is much more likely than that. The line is there because Geralt uses the opportunity of breaking the spell and as we all know, Geralt is not the most sensitive and sympathetic person, in the books especially...

But it's possible in the game. You said so yourself game Geralt is not book Geralt, so technically everything's possible.

But it's possible in the game. You said so yourself game Geralt is not book Geralt, so technically everything's possible.

Sorry, not impossible, unlikely... Yes, everything is possible, we don't know what would "book Geralt" do, because we haven't had the amnesia, we haven't recovered our memories, on one side his character could be drastically changed, or on the other hand not touched at all, everything is possible after the amnesia...

"Geralt is not the most sensitive and sympathetic person, in the books especially...:"
in the books especially...:"
especially

just no comments :geraltsad:

Btw, how many versions of The Witcher Sapkowski actually wrote?
The more I visit this forum the more I've got a feeling (thnx to some people) that A.S. made not only one edition and in one of those "Witcher worlds" Geralt is Marvel-like alpha male who kicks asses and lives happily ever after with Triss.

Last edited:
@Adamiak

I partially agree with your first couple of posts... You have a point, although it's apparently difficult to see for some people. Canon Geralt ceases to exist when he leaves Wyspa Jabłoni and gets amnesia, but the games are still trying to be close.

It could be worded better in the title, as you were saying. This topic is trying to explain and discuss Yenenfer's behaviour in the game from multiple points of view. What would book Yennefer do versus what game Yennefer does and how would canon Geralt as a partner react versus how does game Geralt as a partner (or not) react. For example why doesn't Geralt trust Yennefer more when they're looking for Cirilla and questions her actions and decisions, when in fact he should know that the only thing she ever deeply cared about is Ciri's (and his) safety. I'm NOT saying if it's right or not, that's the point of this topic... We could agree that TW3 is closer to the books than previous games, couldn't we? With Ciri being around.

So it's more like how would Geralt act and react based on canon versus how he acts and reacts in the game. And that's an important topic to take into consideration since Yennefer and Ciri are both freshly imported. Whether or not does their portrayal correspond with the canon is some food for thought too. But we don't claim it's canon, so the title is misleading.

As for the other part of your posts where you're talking about "magic is gone" and amnesia... Well, I already said my piece
in the other topic about Yennefer and frankly, these losing your memory and people can change discussions were usually
more or less pointless so... This topic is about Yennefer's behaviour in the game and honestly we should just stick to it.

Last edited:
? Geralt is a literal teddy bear towards people he cares about (Ciri and Yen in the books, especially)

???? Running away from Yen, hiding from her and fleeing, then calling Triss to Kaer Morhen.... He has hurt them much more than he helped them... Ciri, that is another story, but I was talking only about Yen and Triss...

---------- Updated at 05:24 PM ----------

"Geralt is not the most sensitive and sympathetic person, in the books especially...:"
in the books especially...:"
especially

just no comments :geraltsad:

Btw, how many versions of The Witcher Sapkowski actually wrote?
The more I visit this forum the more I've got a feeling (thnx to some people) that A.S. made not only one edition and in one of those "Witcher worlds" Geralt is Marvel-like alpha male who kicks asses and lives happily ever after with Triss.

So you are trying to tell me, that in some alternate universe translation of the novels you have read, Geralt doesnt flee from Yen, he doesn't hide from her, he doesn't call Triss to Kaer Morhen? If so, I'd like a link to that, thank you.

@Adamiak

I partially agree with your first couple of posts... You have a point, although it's apparently difficult to see for some people. Canon Geralt ceases to exist when he leaves Wyspa Jabłoni and gets amnesia, but the games are still trying to be close.

It could be worded better in the title, as you were saying. This topic is trying to explain and discuss Yenenfer's behaviour in the game from multiple points of view. What would book Yennefer do versus what game Yennefer does and how would canon Geralt as a partner react versus how does game Geralt as a partner (or not) react. For example why doesn't Geralt trust Yennefer more when they're looking for Cirilla and question her actions and decisions - when in fact he should know that the only thing she ever deeply cared about is Ciri's (and his) safety. I'm NOT saying if it's right or not, that's the point of this topic. We could agree that TW3 is closer to the canon than the first two ones, couldn't we? With Ciri being present.

So it's more like how would Geralt act and react based on canon versus how he acts and reacts in the game. And that's an important topic to take into consideration since Yennefer and Ciri are both freshly imported. Whether or not does their portrayal correspond with the canon is some food for thought too. But we don't claim it's canon, so the title is misleading.

As for the other part of your posts where you're talking about "magic is gone" and amnesia... Well, I already said my piece
in the other topic about Yennefer and frankly, these "losing your memory" and people can change discussions are usually
more or less pointless so... This topic is about Yennefer's behaviour in the game and honestly we should just stick to it.

Exactly, I was only refering to the "canon Geralt" thingy, which is part of the thread name.

---------- Updated at 05:26 PM ----------

What does that picture mean?

unning awa
Running away from Yen, hiding from her and fleeing, then calling Triss to Kaer Morhen.... He has hurt them much more than he helped them.

You said that Geralt is not 'sensitive' and this is hilarious - because his inner sensitivity hidden behind his apparent witcher 'coldness' is one of the biggest themes in the books. But okay. 'Running away from Yen' - it just proves my point, or rather the fact that Geralt used to be very insecure about his feelings. He never hurt Yennefer intentionally. And a 'teddy bear' was a reference to his demeanor towards them, the way he talks to them, the way he thinks about them etc

But again this topic is NOT about Geralt - so I will stop here.

Yes, I agree it was a really terrible line, though, do you understand that he lied? For me, there is no way he would stop loving her after all those years, many circumstances affected it though, him not wanting them to suffer, Triss, but this is for some other topic... ;)

I was saying that, I think they sometimes really go too far with these restrictions of respect and offence on these forums. (Please no ban) :D

---------- Updated at 05:09 AM ----------

You have to separate the "historys" because Geralt had an amnesia, he's changed, Triss has changed....

There is just one Triss and she is not coward, hence Lady of the Lake...

---------- Updated at 05:12 AM ----------

To a certain degree, he is not Geralt of Rivia at all, to a certain degree, he is, but especially these love-regarding topics have changed drastically since the books...

Sorry,the OP said that, not you, no decision in the games are wrong, some are just badly written...

---------- Updated at 05:15 AM ----------

In my humbe opinion, I never go beyond the limits...

---------- Updated at 05:19 AM ----------

"Lies in game design", can you show me such lies, only this topic regarding ofc.

What does open world have to do with with canon Geralt topic?

Yea, the writing. :/

---------- Updated at 05:22 AM ----------

That means you ignore the chronological order of the books/games... If you have read the books before the games, then you decide like book Geralt would, but you ignore that he had an amnesia, means all your decisions were wrong.

The line is not wrong, the line is a lie, Geralt would never stop loving Yen and never will...

---------- Updated at 05:25 AM ----------

Spanish translation used as an example? Really? BTW, this is waaay off topic, you should stop this until this thread gets locked...

---------- Updated at 05:27 AM ----------

Why did you stop quoting, Triss never ran away, she saved Yens live and Geralts practically...
Crap, again, we've strayed...
Seriously, this thread is going to be locked if you don't stop...

What i want do tell , is concept character created by saposkwi, about Triss is a Insecure woman, sure she grow up in the end, and redimer your herself saving Yennefer. But She is a secundary character in the plot, like in TW3 in ciri plot, Yennefer is most important. I do not want cause fights, only sarcasms! HEHEHEHEhehehe

And this article:http://www.fantasymundo.com/articulos/1415/fantasymundo_entrevista_andrzej_sapkowski_geralt_rivia
is a interview of the autor of Witcher saga. He express this idea (insecure Triss). And.. What 's the Problem it be in Spanish??

Sorry about my english I did not express myself very well!

What i want do tell , is concept character created by saposkwi, about Triss is a Insecure woman, sure she grow up in the end, and redimer your herself saving Yennefer. But She is a secundary character in the plot, like in TW3 in ciri plot, Yennefer is most important. I do not want cause fights, only sarcasms! HEHEHEHEhehehe

And this article:http://www.fantasymundo.com/articulos/1415/fantasymundo_entrevista_andrzej_sapkowski_geralt_rivia
is a interview of the autor of Witcher saga. He express this idea (insecure Triss). And.. What 's the Problem it be in Spanish??

Sorry about my english I did not express myself very well!

And only thing I want to say is, that Geralt has changed, Triss has changed, everyone has changed, no more "insecure" Triss...

Top Bottom